Photo

A Journey In Music

6 replies to this topic
Butters 2011
  • Butters 2011

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

I doubt this is the first time this topic has been done, but I couldn't see one in the first few pages.

My music taste has drastically changed over the last year or two, and it's amazing to see how much great music I've been missing out on, for various reasons, whether it be down to 'not fitting in' or whatever.

Anyway, the point to the topic is to describe your music taste, and if/how much it has changed as you have grown up, or whether you've always stuck to the same genres/artists.

-----

For me, as a kid growing up, the internet was still quite a new thing and not many people had it, including me. This left me having to put up with listening to the local radio around my area, which happened to be a station called [b]Galaxy[/i], of which many UK'ers will have heard of. They tended to play the current chart hits and all that, so I was stuck to listening to that, which was fine at that point because, as stated, it was what a majority of school friends were listening to as well.

My family were into all their own genres of music, so whilst at home, it was good to listen to all the various music that was always getting played around the house. My dad enjoyed all the Ska/Reggae/Punk music mainly, but also enjoyed some of the 'current' artists, such as Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, Macy Gray, Moby etc. Then there was my mum, who dipped into 'current' music every now and then, but her main favourite genre was Northern Soul...of which got a lot of notoriety during those KFC adverts. My brother was into all the major groups, such as RHCP, Oasis, Nirvana, Guns & Roses, but also dabbled in everything else too. Then there was my sister who was just into her chart music and all that typical teenage girl sh*t.

I think this explains why, as I have gotten older, I have found that I listen to absolutely every genre of music just about, bar a few of which I just can't enjoy.

As a teenager, there was a new 'genre' that hit Yorkshire, known as Bassline/Speed Garage...which, to many of you UK people, will know as that sh*t music that Chav's listened to. I hated this stereotyping of this genre, since some of the music in the genre was actually really decent remixes of well-known songs, but just with some sped-up garage remix beat. It was what I listened to for a majority of my teenage life, since you couldn't really go anywhere without hearing it around here, and became the biggest genre around here, and then spread through the rest of the UK.

As I got older though, I finally had access to my own PC with internet, and my music taste has just grown like nowt else. One of my ex's hated the way I filled her PC up with so much music...but I just found that I enjoyed just about anything. It wasn't about the genre, nor about whether they were hated or not...it was just good music to me. Recently, I've found myself travelling back through time, acquiring a huge amount of older music of all genres...so one minute I'm listening to some Soul music, then it could be followed by some Rock music, then on to some Ska music, or some Hip-Hop etc.

I always find it impossible to list my favourite artists, albums, genres etc, just simply down to the fact that I have far too many for my own good. As I said, I believe growing up with a family of music lovers of various tastes helped a huge deal...but I'm happy for that...I don't stereotype music, and ignore what others say about what I listen to.

I've already filled 2tb with music, and still need more space for my growing collection. confused.gif

So, yeah, how has your taste in music changed as you've grown?

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

If you can't laugh, you might as well cry.

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

As a child I grew up listening to Prodigy. I then began to listen to The Who thanks to watching the old early days of CSI. My parents taste in music rubbed off on me at an early age as I began to favor songs by Queen and Bee Gees along with 80s era music thanks heavily to playing GTA - Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, A-ha and so on with the usual bands, though I was always a great listener of classical music from an early age.

Now jumping into my teens I began to listen to 50s, 60s and 70s era songs. My dad's taste of music has now expanded into Dance, Trance and Club, but I still listen to the songs of the eras gone by, as I write this I'm currently listening to Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. biggrin.gif

When I was in school I felt as if I would be secluded from everyone else as I thought that their taste in music would not be the same as mine, but those I made friends with had rather the same choice in music as me, so that was a relief. tounge.gif

Now I have a shelf filled with various musicians, a variety of playlists on YouTube for the eras and also for my favourite bands and musicians, and I am still finding new songs from days gone by that I am loving.

music.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

I think we all just get a bit more opened minded and appreciative as we get a bit older.

- I f*cking hated Johnny Cash growing up because my father often had him on. Later in life I realized that Johnny Cash is pretty freaking great.

- I hated all 80s music that came out in the 80s. Now I even enjoy the occasional Duran Duran. Damn, I even hated The Cars back then.

- My sister used to threaten to jump out of the car if I played Steeleye Span. Later in life she really got into Steeleye.

I think the weirdest part about our personal musical journeys has to do with the memories that get stirred up. Sometimes that makes it tough to listen to stuff you know you like. I can't listen to a lot of Pink Floyd because anytime I hear them it puts me back in time. All very good memories I assure you, but just too weird sometimes.

On a more personal note about musical journeys...When I was going through the standard early teen time when all sorts of sh*t starts to rattle around your head I made a conscious decision to change what I was listening to. I was listening to a lot of Moody Blues and stuff like that - I thought "the world is sh*tty and depressing enough, I don't need the music I listen to reminding me." It was all upbeat, tasty music from there on out.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

I'm a ROCK DAWG/DOG for life, a Metal head at heart, and in my youngest days, I listened to silly kids songs and records, but I do distinctly recall Charlie Daniels hits, Some One Hit Wonders and known bands that perhaps, in America, had a different known hit then in the UK, etc. But I never lost the idea of rock n roll being the most exciting musical form.

My fondness for thrash and metal took root hearing Ride the Lightning from Metallica, and then the scene and my interest exploding, I'm talking 1984 literally. I got word from fellow students that even they recall me wearing Metallica and Dokken T-shirts before they were house-hold names!

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:08 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 20 April 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Thanks to my bro I got listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and U2 and Queen when I was about 7 onwards. I loved music from a young age. I'd come home from school and listen to tapes and CD's for hours, often falling asleep.

Then in 1998, I got my first tape or possibly 2nd tape. It was Beck's Odelay or Beastie Boys Hello Nasty (which was so sample-heavy from the likes of Rush to Neil Young etc it got me introduced to more genres). Actually I think Beck came first. I loved that album and played it to bits but lent it out and never got it back. I then raped the sh*t out of Hello Nasty and then I got involved in Hip-Hop (old-skool) and BBoy culture; Graffiti, turntablism etc. I was about 13.

I was still listening to rock to but then got mad in to Classic Rock, 60's and 70's including Disco as a pirate radio station with no ads played non-stop disco on loop. My big bro and I used to listen to it in our kitchen when he's smoke out the window and we'd enjoy the songs in a fun way, we never took the disco thing too seriously.

So by 15/16 I was the biggest Doors and Zeppelin fan. I had everything of theirs, including bootlegs and DVDs or videos and live concerts. Friends introduced my more to The Beatles and Pink Floyd, Woodstock, the Blues, Jethro Tull, Yes etc.

Then by the time I got in to college I started to listen to Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, more Electronic music, really embracing 'new' sounds as all I listened to was retro music. It's like I went through the decades and 70's/80's synth based stuff sounded fresh and new. Depeche Mode were that perfect crossover where Rock met Electronic music and I crossed over. Then I got in to a bit of AIR which was Electronic heavy but featured a lot of acoustic instruments and piano etc

I got heave in to Electronic music by 2007 (when I'm 22) and got bored of 'generic' rock and also got in to Reggae music and a bit of Dub.

All this is going on but being inspired by many other genres thanks to GTA.

Now, (26) I'm loving Hip-Hop again, embracing more Gangsta stuff that I used to hate, I'm loving Funk, Rock, Electronica (Aphex Twin)

I really try keep it open-minded. So long as it sounds like the people were doing something fresh or fusing styles etc.

biggrin.gif

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

When I was younger I wasn't focused on any particular genre, the music I heard was on the radio, and I would either like or dislike what was playing, no buying albums or MP3's. When I got older though, I really liked Dance Music, Techno etc, this would be when I was still in early primary school. There was a whole phase where it was really popular and everyone was listening to it, Scooter for example was one of the people I liked (now hate).

Towards the end of primary school/early secondary people in my area would make stupid remixes of things, like this was increasing the temp and adding stupid high-pitched voices, and they'd make "disses" (you really don't understand how pathetic it was). It's probably the same thing Butters was talking about. All the chavs made them and apparently it was cool if you listened to that stuff. Looking back now it wasn't even music, it was retarded, but somehow popular.

However, when I truly started to appreciate music and develop a preference, it was actually through GTA. At around 12, I was always playing San Andreas, and with stations like Radio Los Santos, Bounce FM, Playback.. it introduced me to Hip-Hop. Over the years it just developed further. At first I didn't understand the history and culture behind it all, I just liked the beats and it felt rebellious to listen to explicit content. I had no idea what was real or fake hip-hop - I would be the person listening to Soulja Boi and calling it rap. Somehow Hip-Hop was just amazing to me, I mean I had a good childhood and didn't grow up in a rough area, but rappers can take you away from your world and bring you to theirs, so it was amazing to me. The past couple of years I have really developed my love for the genre, and learned all about the history.

Nowadays you'll rarely find anything else on my playlist, I have Hip-Hop from the early 80's to the most recent. It inspires me; makes me creative; motivates me, and it gives me knowledge about things I would never have known otherwise. It's a truly incridible, mindblowing form of musical expression that has changed more in this world than the average politician, and even though it's went downhill a little lately, I don't see my preference in music changing anytime soon.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Speaking of radio, it's still around, amazing after the tech revolution, Digital Fm/radio is still a fringe thing though. I grew up using my dad's spendy cassette recorder to make my tapes, I liked the variety of jumping from one song to another, it takes a bit of demanded patience to listen to one side of an album or complete LP!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users