Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will the Australian version be censored?

61 replies to this topic
Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:53 AM Edited by Banno_benny, 19 April 2012 - 06:34 AM.

As an Australian gamer it is really annoying when great games like these get censored or edited to meet Australias rating system, I know recently something has been passed for Australia to get R18+ game rating but I'm not sure if it has made it through higher parliament yet.

In GTA IV The interaction with hookers was limited, dead people didn't leave any blood pools and NPCs didn't accumulate bruised or blood patches. There could have been more than that but I'm not sure.

In RDR I'm fairly sure there was a nudity scene that was censored. And I'm fairly sure the skin animals was less gruesome. (not 100% sure on this one).

For both of these games, I pre ordered the Australian version for first day release, and then bought the US version online so I didn't miss out on any fun.

My question here is do you think that the Australian version of GTA V will be censored in any way, or will we get to enjoy the game to its full extent?
Also, if you think it will be censored, what do you think will be changed or removed?

[EDIT]

Actually, fellow Australian gamers. Have a look at the link below and see if your States Attorney General is for or against the R18+ rating.

http://www.r18games.com.au/

If they're against it, have a read of this ( http://www.r18games.com.au/help/ ) and consider shooting them a quick email. There is an example email on the page, use that or come up with your own if you can come up with a more compelling argument! With enough support we could change their minds.

[EDIT 2]

Found an interesting read on Wikipedia containing a list of all the games that have been banned/censored for Australia. Was shocked to see almost every GTA game on the list.

http://en.wikipedia....es_in_Australia

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Since V is not released yet, we cannot say. Probably will though with such high censorship when it comes to video games in your country.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

As long as we don't have an R18+ rating gta will be censored.
The rating is in the works but most certainly is not a priority so it will take a long time.

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yes it will. My country is full of jerks who like to bitch about things they don't even have any interest in. I mean how pathetic can you get ? I mean the whole ''my kids play it '' IS a bullsh*t excuse because you have a choice

I mean i hate justin beiber/one direction and all these f*cking sob stories on the news in general but i dont protest it because it's a waste of time

Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

I've supplied a link below if anyone is interested in reading about the R18+ Rating for video games in Australia.

http://www.r18games.com.au/

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

IIRC GTA IV didn't need to be censored, but Rockstar had mistakenly anticipated it would be censored and submitted an edited version. But then TLAD and TBOGT and the PC version all went through uncut, proving the cuts to the original console version were unnecessary. Am I remembering this correctly?

mdr279
  • mdr279

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Yea I have no doubt it will be censored... absolute crap

Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 06:08)
IIRC GTA IV didn't need to be censored, but Rockstar had mistakenly anticipated it would be censored and submitted an edited version. But then TLAD and TBOGT and the PC version all went through uncut, proving the cuts to the original console version were unnecessary. Am I remembering this correctly?

First I've heard of it, but you could be right. However, something tells me there will be a big difference between the amount of violence and drug use etc between GTA IV, and GTA V.

If you look at Vice City to San Andreas, there are quite a few big jumps. Heck even San Andreas was recalled in Australia because of the whole hot chocolate thing, and you couldn't even see anything! "Whoa look, those pixels are having sex! Better pull that game off the shelves so none of those kids that shouldn't be playing a 15+ rated games sees it!"

I mean in a heap of that leaked information (yes I know, it's leaked so there's a good chance it's not real! But there's also that chance that it is real too!) they say drugs play a huge deal in the game, along with hunting animals (similar to that in Red Dead Redemption I hope) and various other violent activities. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of content that we Australians might miss out on. Hell who knows we could miss out on something like animals all together.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

In all honesty I do expect GTA V to be censored in some way, shape or form.
About the blood pool issue for GTA IV, there was a patch back in late 08', early 09' that fixed this, there are blood pools in the Australian copy of IV including EFLC.

If I was to predict what would be censored, I would say it would come down to the hookers/strip clubs again.

gtafanny
  • gtafanny

Wet n Ready

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

I dont know who the Australian government is trying to protect. Violent movies ok, violent games not ok.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Bring on the R18+ rating. Even though I hardly bother with the content that separates the game from being 'MA' to 'R' (i.e. hookers for example), I can't wait for it to officially pass the Senate. Tired of having games with slashed content.

GTAknowledge
  • GTAknowledge

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

"In July 2011, the R18+ rating has been announced and is scheduled to be introduced before the end of the year."

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz1C7Pkl0Tl

http://www.abc.net.a...reement/2806200

??

Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (GTAknowledge @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 06:35)
"In July 2011, the R18+ rating has been announced and is scheduled to be introduced before the end of the year."

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz1C7Pkl0Tl

http://www.abc.net.a...reement/2806200

??

Interesting, however I believe it still hasn't been introduced. Seeing this has got my hopes up just a tad though. biggrin.gif

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Buy the game online. Problem solved.

PublicEnemy65
  • PublicEnemy65

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

"The Home Affairs Minister, Brendan O'Connor, has said the federal government would over-ride NSW and implement the R18+ rating regardless of its decision and will be officially available before the end of 2011"

Please be true biggrin.gif

Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 06:54)

In doing that not only am I supporting other countries and not my own (which I don't really care about lol) but I'd have to wait several days after release before I can even play it. And a game like GTA, I just would not be able to wait.

GTAknowledge
  • GTAknowledge

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Most recent from March 2012:

http://www.sbs.com.a...-to-become-law/

Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (GTAknowledge @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:02)
Most recent from March 2012:

http://www.sbs.com.a...-to-become-law/

With any luck this will be passed by the time GTA V is released and I won't have to buy 2 copies!

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (Banno_benny @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 06:17)
If you look at Vice City to San Andreas, there are quite a few big jumps. Heck even San Andreas was recalled in Australia because of the whole hot chocolate thing, and you couldn't even see anything! "Whoa look, those pixels are having sex! Better pull that game off the shelves so none of those kids that shouldn't be playing a 15+ rated games sees it!"

Hot coffee got SA recalled and rerated almost everywhere. The original version is rated Ao 18+ in the USA too.

Verdant
  • Verdant

On Doomsday!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 16:58)
The rating is in the works but most certainly is not a priority so it will take a long time.

This icon14.gif icon14.gif .
All GTA's haven't been banned in Australia. If V was to get banned,I'd very dissapointed although Rockstar games do there best to not get there games banned in countries.

Saints Row 3 had a giant purple dildo as a weapon in the game. That weapon was banned from Japan and other some other countries, but they were quite lucky the game didn't actually get completely banned.

The only game that I know that has been banned in Australia was I think the newest Mortal Kombat? Apparently,and I quote they said the game was "too violent",I just didn't understand that it seemed like they thought we were going to go around town in real life ripping peoples hearts/heads off.

Overall,games don't really get banned in Australia so I'm sure Rockstar will do there best to not get it banned in Australia and other countries across the world.

Ryen...
  • Ryen...

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (GtaOutKast @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:41)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 16:58)

This icon14.gif icon14.gif .
All GTA's haven't been banned in Australia. If V was to get banned,I'd very dissapointed although Rockstar games do there best to not get there games banned in countries.

Saints Row 3 had a giant purple dildo as a weapon in the game. That weapon was banned from Japan and other some other countries, but they were quite lucky the game didn't actually get completely banned.

The only game that I know that has been banned in Australia was I think the newest Mortal Kombat? Apparently,and I quote they said the game was "too violent",I just didn't understand that it seemed like they thought we were going to go around town in real life ripping peoples hearts/heads off.

Overall,games don't really get banned in Australia so I'm sure Rockstar will do there best to not get it banned in Australia and other countries across the world.

Shut up.
You don't know crap..

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (GtaOutKast @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:41)

Not quite: http://en.wikipedia....es_in_Australia

A lot of games are still banned even though they tried to get reclassified. Others succeeded in editing those sections. (15 banned games on that list, 4 of them were originally released as MA 15+ but then got reclassified later.)

Interestingly though, if you look on the unbanned section, you will see that all GTAs that were originally modified for MA 15+ have since been released uncensored at the same rating.

What does this mean for GTA V? Depends on how far they take it this time, but if a full frontal dong can be shown in an MA 15+ game (BoGT), who knows what they can get away with...

GTAWithStyle
  • GTAWithStyle

Street Cat

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

When I was there I noticed they even sensor The Simpsons, Australia really needs to sort itself out

AussieDude
  • AussieDude

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (GTAWithStyle @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:59)
When I was there I noticed they even sensor The Simpsons, Australia really needs to sort itself out

Ummm... What?

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

The Australian version of RDR was not censored.

Banno_benny
  • Banno_benny

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Linki @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 08:12)
The Australian version of RDR was not censored.

You're right. I recall reading that they were planning on censoring the sex scene in Mexico, but they didn't.

GTAWithStyle
  • GTAWithStyle

Street Cat

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (AussieDude @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 08:07)
QUOTE (GTAWithStyle @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:59)

Ummm... What?

Australia is useless*

oldschoolgamer
  • oldschoolgamer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Banno_benny @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 06:59)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 06:54)

In doing that not only am I supporting other countries and not my own (which I don't really care about lol) but I'd have to wait several days after release before I can even play it. And a game like GTA, I just would not be able to wait.

Place a pre-order online, you can talk to the retailer regarding express shipping, one or two days hardly matters. By the way, I live in one of the lamest countries on the planet the pubic area between China and AF-Pak confused.gif and we don't have censorship here though there even though that may be purely because of law maker ignorance my gain I guess tounge.gif

Also, your cricket team sucks rampage_ani.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

You're basically S.O.L.
Yes, complaining here will do you no good, nor will complaining to Rockstar, if you don't like laws of your own Country, take it up with those who run and are elected in your country, become POLITICALLY involved! That's how you solve your issue

_Meece_
  • _Meece_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

It might be depending on the content. GTA 4 only censored the blood and sex with the hooker. It was later patched out when GTA 4 was re classified, but we are getting our R18+ classification in January or february, so if it does come out next year. Then it'll be 18+ and uncensored.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users