Quantcast

» «
Photo

Things you find annoying about this game...

22 replies to this topic
Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

I'm sure we all have things in this game that really make you angry about it. What are they? FOr me, they are:

1. Rampages that tell you to blow up # of vehicles in 2 minutes, but then they don't provide you with even half of the amount of vehicless in that time span. For example, the Rampage out in the ocean wants you to blow up the boats, but the boats only spawn like one every 30 seconds and they are too far away for the rocket to even reach.

2. Disappearing vehicles. There is nothing more annoying than bringing the tank to a mission, only to have the tank disappear when the mission actually starts. Or not having your helicopter on the rooftop of your mansion when it was there 2 minutes ago.

3. Guns that just suddenly stop working. There have been times I'll be in a firefight and my gun just stops shooting no matter how many times I press O, and I have to run to another spot just to get it to fire again. It is bad enough there is no way to fire while under cover, but when this occurs, way too much health is lost in the process.

4. Rampages that change your gun on you permenantly. I had over 400 bullets in my Colt Python yesterday and three times I had Rampage missions change my Python to a standard handgun, losing all of that ammo.

5. The camera. I don't think I need to explain why.

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

1. This rampage can be done this way. Get a helicopter, and fly to the rampage location. Then, after activating it, fly to the Docks at Ocean Beach. Destroy all vehicles boats, and cars in the underground carpark. If that's not enough, go to the road, and just wait to cars to appear. Just be careful for gang members trying to shoot you down.

2. Well, that's how main.scm treats the game. It's been the same in III and SA.

3. I never had a problem like this. At least on the PC version. Maybe your controller is broken.

4. AFAIK rampages don't change your guns. At least on the PC version. Maybe they do on PS2?

5. Yes, the camera (expecially when controlling Hunter) can be a pain in the ass.

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

cars coming in your way, you look to the other side, look again at those cars and they have disappeared. F* memory.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Trying to find or get certain vehicles. Both regular ones that you need for some reason (like collecting for Sunshine Autos) - I swear the game can read your mind and prevent those exact cars you want from spawning. Also special vehicles that you can't normally get; I was trying to get the black Admirals and black Pony in Loose Ends, and for some reason there was a zone where the game would eat vehicles as soon as I exited them and turned my back on them. Created loads of frustration as I had to run to Viceport about 5 times to get Packers before I could prevent it from happening.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

The camera definitely needs work, but I don't seem to have those other problems. But, those do sound frustrating.

Glad they came to their senses for SA and IV and just put camera control on the right stick.

Daniel91
  • Daniel91

TheZombie

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Cant swim.

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Daniel91 @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 20:13)
Cant swim.

Oh yeah, I cannot believe I forgot about that one.

Oh, and the stupid Baron planes. I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

Міro
  • Міro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

There are a bunch of annoying things indeed. Just some fast ones that come in my mind.
1. The thing that you lose life like hell when you're being pushed by a car while laying down. Man, that was so damn annoying. I know it also happens like that in San Andreas too, but in Vice City, the speed of decreasing is ridiculous. This is from what I remember from the "Gun Runner" mission.
2. The dissappearing cars. This was one of the most annoying things. You see a car coming, and think of something and make Tommy turn, and when he turns back the car has literally dissappeared. This was one of the most annoying things that kept me away from doing side missions like the Exporting.
3. Tommy can't swim. This is one of the things I never understood - why? I mean, I understand that it'd take a ton of work and space to make the water load, especially the oceans, but still dying like that is ridiculous.
4. The thing that you never get rid of a wanted level once you go above 1 star. Why this? It really doesn't make sense to be able to get rid of 1 star wanted level, but not of 2 or more, especially if you stay away from any crimes, cops or anything else.

That's all as far as I'm aware. sleepy.gif

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

I hate in this game
you cant swim
you cant buy clothes
and ramapages doesnt back like in VCS

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

I've got a new one to add. PCJ Playground. This missiong is pissing me off. I spent 2 and a half hours today on it and still have not beaten it. Worst of all, when I do make it to the end, my bike flies way too far over the rooftop with the last checkpoint on it, OR I miss the checkpoint on those steps. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! angry.gif

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (markusizr @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 04:26)
I hate in this game
you cant swim
you cant buy clothes

They give you clothes at various houses and stores around the city, but I think I know what you mean.

The thing that bothers me the most is looking for cars. Andreaz1 said it when he said that the game reads your mind. I could spend a whole day trying to find cars for Sunshine Autos and only see half of the cars that I am looking for.

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (thecommander @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 08:09)
QUOTE (markusizr @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 04:26)
I hate in this game
you cant swim
you cant buy clothes

They give you clothes at various houses and stores around the city, but I think I know what you mean.

The thing that bothers me the most is looking for cars. Andreaz1 said it when he said that the game reads your mind. I could spend a whole day trying to find cars for Sunshine Autos and only see half of the cars that I am looking for.

the game doesn't hide the cars exactly I think what it does is lower the probability of the vehicle you need from spawning.

lookitsme
  • lookitsme

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

user posted image

blazeGTAS
  • blazeGTAS

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (DonutPT @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 17:56)
cars coming in your way, you look to the other side, look again at those cars and they have disappeared. F* memory.

Or when you're speeding/evading the police and there's a car coming head on so you swerve to avoid them, but they swerve the same way.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (.Lycosa @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 23:11)
QUOTE (DonutPT @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 17:56)

Or when you're speeding/evading the police and there's a car coming head on so you swerve to avoid them, but they swerve the same way.

Or the AI drivers who drive like maniacs (is there a scientific term for those?) because they seem to have a hurry getting somewhere. I've lost count of the amount of times they've crashed into me and made me spin out. angry.gif

My relationship with those has gone to the point where I spend a lot of time just cruising the city finding these people so I can stalk them and kill them. tounge.gif And yes it does give a massive sense of satisfaction. devil.gif tounge.gif

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (thecommander @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 07:09)

I had the same problem with RDR. I would get mauled by a cougar a million times, but the moment I needed to hunt one down for the hunter missions, nope, no cougars anywhere.

What I ended up doing with those is I started putting anything I found that was going to be on the upcoming list in my garages so I would already have them there for when I needed to give it to them. Like, if I came across the Cheetah, I grabbed it, drove it to my garage, and saved it until needed. I ended up having all of the cars for the fourth set in my garages when I got to that point, so it took me 3 minutes to complete that section.

Andreaz, I actually would do the same thing. If someone hit my car, I would chase after them and shoot the crap out of their car until it either went boom, or I got to run the driver over as they fled the scene.

Heihachi_73
  • Heihachi_73

Hey! My cab!!

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Erratic drivers don't annoy me as much as in GTA3, but the worst 'erratic' (AI-driven, red light ignoring, always overtaking and smashing into oncoming traffic/peds/lights/buildings) drivers will always be the police. They can smash into your stopped car, damage their own vehicle and attempt to bust you for it (since you received a 1 star wanted level for "smashing" their vehicle) for being in their way despite them changing lanes and crashing straight into your car. Compare with GTA1, where you can sit dead still at the beginning of the game with no weapons and get busted because a pedestrian happened to end up underneath an AI-driven taxi.

My main annoyance is that most cars in the GTA3/VC/SA era basically drive on tracks (set paths), and do not make actual turns unless the AI takes over (e.g. if they are in a crash, or are scripted as an erratic driver) - if they move slow enough, their vehicles will literally turn 90° in front of you when changing lanes (even a massive vehicle like a Bus, Coach or Flatbed will do pinpoint right angle turns), or right into the side of your car if you happened to dare be next to them, and your newly T-boned car will *always* spin around in a random direction that is no longer facing the way you were going (which is somewhere between 150-210°, sometimes after a full 360°). Vice City has the same patterns, but it doesn't seem to be used as much (with the exception of the one-way highway exit south of the Downtown police station, where cars will weave all across both lanes, and sometimes spawn facing the wrong way and turn on a dime, if you are heading north along the wrong side of the road, 90° lane changes also happens on the road leading from Downtown to Prawn Island).

The second annoyance is with 6 stars. Occasionally, a Rhino will run over you and its occupants will get out to bust/shoot you, while you watch your armor and health slowly drain by 1 point until it reaches nothing, as if you were drowning. By contrast, if you park a car (including a Rhino) on top of a pedestrian/cop/army officer, they will not actually get hurt and will magically stand back up unhurt once you move the car away from them.

The third annoyance is the traffic cop's insanely perfect accuracy of taking out your rear tyre with a single bullet from a pistol, despite driving towards them at 100mph.

Fourth annoyance. Police cars which are running on all rims yet can still manage to ram and spin out your car whilst you've already gone around a corner at a T intersection. Of course, if you tried to smash through a traffic light pole in a police car with 4 flats, you probably would have either spun out a ridiculous amount of times and/or flipped the car. But no, they just spin out once and chase you all around the road before another brain-dead AI cop car takes them out since they were in the same path as the other car (then you end up chased by the better car with next to no damage). Averted in a way since you can simply shoot their cars and they will stop and bail. The only annoyances in this case are the ones which spawn on intersections merely to block your car (and these cars don't even have their sirens on).

Fifth annoyance. Police/FBI/Army vehicles that decide to perfectly lock onto your car's rear end and start humping your car (I guess it goes with Tommy's "Go shower with the guys" quip). Thump, 103mph. Thump, 105mph. Thump, 107mph. Thump, 109mph. Thump, spin out, do a barrel roll whilst cop car is still pushing you undamaged/unaffected from your newly random directional sliding, hit the grass near Viceport and slide on your roof into the water with said police car following and ramming you all the way. The fact that both a Police car an Enforcer truck and an FBI Rancher can outrun a Cheetah going flat out (limited to 101mph) is just BS as well, as TVTropes.org will put it: "The Computer is a Cheating Bastard". If you steal the exact same Enforcer that just outran and flipped your VCPD Cheetah against a wall at 4 stars, it will max out at 90mph, which is slower than an Esperanto, a Voodoo, a non-turbo Sabre, a Sanchez dirt bike without leaning forward at all, and even a Coach. Going by that alone, why is the fastest car in the game limited to just over 100mph anyway? A Hotring Racer maxes out at only 113mph, if the speedometer mods are accurate.

Sixth annoyance. The Skimmer. The only way they could have made a plane worse than the chopped Dodo was to put skids on it, and crudely cut the speed on land to stop it taking off (I believe the speed loss is just a glitch; you can get it to accelerate quite well on land, but it will magically stop in its tracks then accelerate again). Note that practically all of Vice City has a barrier around the water so you can't easily drive it back into the water (it will come to a dead halt if it hits a one inch curb). To top it off, when you leave the plane, the camera goes in random directions before the it decides to finally lock on Tommy instead of the plane. Of course, you can control Tommy but he will just walk whichever way the camera was facing (and so, he walks around in a circle or into a wall, the plane etc.). Not to mention that there aren't even any animations, just beside the plane, immediately in the plane, and immediately beside the plane again (I gather this is to do with the game's "boat" code).

Seventh annoyance. Police turn a blind eye to the entire game world* except you. If a group of 9 Haitian gang members decide to shoot you and/or your car and/or rip you out of your car (and of course, landing the first punch in the process), the cop car behind you won't do a thing. If they shoot the cop car, it will speed off at a million miles per hour. If you dare shoot back at the gang members or even punch one of them, you will be immediately targeted by the police if they are nearby.

* except those who are scripted to be chased on foot (carjacker with the brown suit or the Hispanic criminal black and red outfit, and gangs) - whom they completely ignore anyway if you happen to have all of a one star wanted level. They might be in the middle of gunfire, but if you happen to do something "wrong", they will completely ignore their half-dozen attackers and chase you.

Eighth annoyance. Rhino physics - 8.1. Running over a harmless car panel and watching your 18 tonne Rhino do a headstand and land on its turret, noting that the panel which came from a 1.2 tonne car now weighs as much as a solid building. 8.2. A close second to this is grazing past a light pole or traffic signal and seeing the tank stop dead in its tracks. And then trying to move for the next 8 seconds, eventually breaking away from the pole as it just falls out of the ground like it wasn't even put there (made worse if you don't have any doors, only 1 star and there is an unarmed cop looking for a quick bust). 8.3. A close third to this is when your tank can effortlessly take out these poles, but this time it decides to spin out 90° into a wall because it hit the pole just like every single other one. Said pole remains upright, only missing its traffic lights.

Ninth annoyance. "Insta-busted" - when a cop comes from nowhere whatsoever and you're instantly busted despite peds not even being scripted to spawn in your current location. You could be in the middle of Escobar Airport, but dare run across the tarmac and get into that empty Baggage Handler or Topfun or Bus (PC only) at the back of the airport after destroying your Vigilante car (or having it shot by half a dozen shotguns because every criminal happened to randomly carry one), a cop will happily float through the air and bust you. No questions asked, no doors opened (if you drive off in a hurry with the door still open, obviously the Baggage has no doors to begin with).

Tenth annoyance. Why on earth did Rockstar change the GTA3's panicking (shot) driver AI from naturally avoiding traffic, to drivers which blindly smash into the car ahead of them? It's no fun any more to chase or "race" one of those cars since they will just plough straight into the next car in front and damage themselves and/or just sit there at 12 miles per hour trying to push the car. I like stalking Landstalkers in GTA3. smile.gif

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Some of these things that people find annoying were not an issue back then though, since the GTA series hadn't included them anyway. Things such as buying clothes and being able to swim were never in a GTA game in the first place.

The main thing that really annoyed me in this game was the way Tommy ran. I don't think I really need to explain about this, since I think everyone will know what I'm on about anyway. Some rather annoying bugs were when running around, and quickly changing direction, only for you to lose some health or die in the process of doing so.

The memory was bad too, but this was a problem in III too, so it never bothered me at the time. It was one of those things that I knew was going to happen, so just let it go. It only irritated me when I found a rare car or car that I really wanted, only to turn around and find that it had dissapeared, but as I said, I got used to this happening.

The rampage thing was annoying at times aswell, where certain gang members/vehicles wouldn't spawn next to your location, especially the one out at sea where you had to destroy the vehicles. I understand their are ways of doing it, such as the helicopter trick, but it still doesn't make it any less annoying. Think it took me around 4 attempts to finally pass this rampage, and I believe I got the last one within the dying seconds.

A2 MFK
  • A2 MFK

All you had to do was follow the DAMN train CJ!

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Moronic AI drivers!
I hate it when you are just cruising in a nice car, nowhere near a Pay&Spray and then some imbacile rams into you with their batterd up Perrinial, I know it shouldn't matter that much but I don't like driving about in a smashed up car.

And then they yell something stupid at you like "Move punk! Fo' I get Upset!"

I Also think you should be able to ice someone in a car through a different angle, the Sniper is useless if you have to always shoot them through the front windscreen.

The Hatians annoyed me aswell the fact that as soon as you step on a rampage symbol suddenly every ped, cop and gangsta in the city is transformed in to a Hatian bend on killing you at all costs. And the things they say aswell "I Vhant to hear shoe scream!"

Another thing was the veiw, I know they changed it for SA but I hated that the camera just didn't rotate when you looked around, you had to go into, no-shooting observation mode which was completely useless, because of that, it it wasn't for the plot I would never play VC.

The Sucurity personel irritated me aswell, they're ok when they're taking down the shark gang in north point mall but when they come onto starfish island and start pulling you out your icecream van, that just really takes the buiscuit.

And I Personally didn't really like the fact firstly that Lance betrayed you or secondly that you had to kill him but I suppose it just made a stronger plot...

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Daniel91 @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 20:13)
Cant swim.

yes, and given it was in miami that just took the supreme piss

RogerFH
  • RogerFH

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

The way Tommy runs kinda bugs me

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Cuban clothes on the original PS2 version. Can't get to them ever again.

The changed gun names on the "new" versions.

Shotguns; more specifically, when they're used on you. No way to recover from being hit by one.

The army when driving by Fort Baxter.

Randomly being jacked by peds.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Wednesday, May 30 2012, 05:50)
Cuban clothes on the original PS2 version. Can't get to them ever again.

Just takes a little extra effort to get them-- this does work on PS2 version.

Note-- this was a programing mistake by rockstar-- the clothes icon is redrawn in the wrong spot when you complete copland (vercetti mission at mansion) and/or no escape (malibu mission) after completing two bit hit (avery mission).... to prevent this... hold off on doing two bit hit until those missions are complete and the icon will be drawn in the correct spot (in the doorway).

further details from buglist...

Problem #4
After the mission 'Two Bit Hit' for Avery, the Cuban outfit icon is visible in the little store in Little Havana, but I can't reach it - there is an invisible wall blocking access to it.

Further explanation of this bug from Demarest: When you pass Two Bit Hit, the outfit pickup is created in the correct place. Missions that require you to be using a specific outfit are made to destroy all clothes pickups and recreate them after the job. Both Cop Land and No Escape? recreate the Cuban pickup in the wrong place. This is known as the Cuban outfit bug. It's not a random occurance either; it WILL happen that way.

Solution: The order you do missions affects whether this clothes icon is reachable. If you finish 'Copland' (a Vercetti mission) and 'No Escape?' (a Malibu mission) prior to completing 'Two Bit Hit', it will be reachable. Posted by Aviator79.

Physical Solution: Get a PCJ 600 and park it in the doorway. Blow it up. Jump on top of it, face the icon, now jump toward it. It might take you a few tries - you will fall through 'grey hell' momentarily and land in front of the shop - if you hit the icon on your jump you will change clothes. This was told to me by Acidman in June 2003 - not sure if he found it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users