» «
Photo

GTA IV 4th anniversary...

27 replies to this topic
Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:39 PM Edited by Markhosdangerous, 17 April 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Hey guys it's nearly four years since GTA IV was cooming to our consoles and it made us freak out in a way that never happened to us before! hehe. So I've got an idea for all of you, let's share the experience of getting GTA IV on our hands for the first time. But before telling my personal experience I want to share this video to describe all the beauty of Liberty City as its best

It was a sunny day here in Spain, I renember I was on the high school (it was my last year) and my brother was come to pick me up on his car at the end of the classes. Well he had a beautiful thing on his hands when I entered to the car: The GTA IV box for the xbox360. When we've arrived to our home, we ate a lot of fast and later we sat down and we put the disc on the console. It started, the music of the loading screen was starting to sound, and we've loved it!. But what made us freak out, was the beginning of the game, and we laughed with the scene of "Daddy's back you bitches", a good way to start an awesome game!!.

We started to do the first mission, and the second, and the third... (I like to start the next mission when I passed the last one, and now with taking a cab, it made it a lot of faster hahaha). in the first day I thought I stop playing after passing the mission "Uncle Vlad".

I used to think that I knew all the map of Liberty, but after this four years I think that I've not discovered all the things that Liberty City hides, all those minor details that make you believe that you're playing on a real city

(Please do not be a pain in ass if my spelling is not 100% correct lol.gif )

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

There has been no game since IV that has gotten me as hyped as I was. I presume when GTAV gets into gear it will match it, but for now it is at the top.

It was a hot summer Friday afternoon after school. I believe the terrible bush fires were going on because the entire sky was red, but this distinct change in atmosphere didn't even get a blink from me. I was going to get GTAIV, nothing else needed acknowledgement.

I got back from buying a Xbox 360 Arcade and a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV. I set up the console and began. "Daddy's back you bitches!" f*ck yeah.

I remember driving around Broker and Dukes with Roman's Taxi crashing and running people over in a state of overwhelming amazement. Even with my SDTV, the graphical leap from playing PS2 for years then jumping into IV was jaw-dropping (especially since this was my first step into the realm of the next generation). The new gameplay was just as punishingly awesome as when I first played Grand Theft Auto III.
People indeed say how incredible it was when you first played GTAIII. Well playing GTAIV for the first time was incredible too.

There are plenty of memories with the first few hours of playing. I was in a state of "Euphoria" if you get me; those animations were so realistically awesome. The car damage was sick, bullet holes are f*cking cool. The explosions were a sight to behold, dat smoke effect. And, of course, jumping off a skyscraper. Woah.

Too many to mention, but you all can relate to these times. Even now, I still have at least four memorable moments with each time I play GTAIV. No other game can deliver me that. And no other game has delivered the experience IV has and still continues to give us. Speaking of which, I might play a little right now.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Remember it well, April 29th. Took the day off college because I'm hardcore like that, played the game all day, then watched Manchester United defeat Barcelona and reach the Champions League Final that evening. Fantastic day.

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Bought the game, since gta is my favorite game series, played it like straight 8 hours...disillusion. Shame. I didn't like gta iv, finished it but...meh. Cant even compare to Vice City, San Andreas or even 3.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

I rented it, then after earning some money, I bought it. I liked it so much that according to the game, at one point I played 13 hours straight. I mean, DAMN! I probably didn't even notice the time.

DonutPT
  • DonutPT

IBRACADABRA

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

foda-se!

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

I wasn't able to play GTA IV until a few months had passed, because I had to save up enough money to buy a PS3 to play IV on (luckily IV came with the PS3 console as a combined package).

Skipping ahead, at the time the only TV I had in my room was a small yellow Samsung TV which is what I played IV on until I got a proper television. Anyway a friend of my brother set up the PS3 to the TV and I remember sitting in the same swivel chair that I have now, waiting for the game to load up, controller tight in hand. Finally the game loaded and the famous "Daddy's back you bitches!" was heard to which my brother's friend began to laugh.

Eventually the beginning intro had finished and I was now in control of Niko/Roman's taxi cab. I drove straight to the safehouse whilst admiring the scenery, traffic and even the pedestrians.

Skipping further ahead after all of the intros I was now wondering the streets of Hove Beach still breathless at the details. I remember the first thing I did after completing "The Cousins Bellic" was pick up a brick from the patch of land opposite the first safehouse, and throw it at a passing car. After having fun throwing bricks at cars I strolled on down to the Firefly Island and beach and got to know the Russian locals. I pushed a Russian ped out of the way so I could use the binoculars on the boardwalk opposite the Hot Coffee Store in Hove, and then getting into my first fight in the game. The angry Russian ped began punching me so I punched him back, though after a few blows he stumbled back and fell over the railing falling all the way down to the sand below. I jumped down to see if he was still alive or dead and, after collecting his dropped cash waited for the ambulance which came quickly to the scene. I readied myself to beat the guy up again thinking that the paramedic would revive the guy, but no the guy wasn't revived and the ambulance just drove away. I stared at the guy shocked that peds couldn't be revived from death as in previous GTA games, and so I went to steal my first car. biggrin.gif

Still in the Hove Beach area I took my newly stolen car to the beach again to drive over the sand dunes. I remember clipping the car on the railings which caused it to flip over onto it's roof. I jumped out of the car as soon as possible and ran a distance away to escape the explosion, but nothing. I stared at the car amazed that it didn't blow up from flipping onto the roof (a la past GTAs), and I even began to punch the car thinking it was glitched. Finally it hit me, this GTA was not like any past GTA, this one was different. New graphics, new physics, new feeling to the game.

Ah the nostalgia. sigh.gif So many fond memories I have of this game. I'm going to go and play IV again now. biggrin.gif

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (AlexGTAGamer @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 00:04)
I wasn't able to play GTA IV until a few months had passed, because I had to save up enough money to buy a PS3 to play IV on (luckily IV came with the PS3 console as a combined package).

Skipping ahead, at the time the only TV I had in my room was a small yellow Samsung TV which is what I played IV on until I got a proper television. Anyway a friend of my brother set up the PS3 to the TV and I remember sitting in the same swivel chair that I have now, waiting for the game to load up, controller tight in hand. Finally the game loaded and the famous "Daddy's back you bitches!" was heard to which my brother's friend began to laugh.

Eventually the beginning intro had finished and I was now in control of Niko/Roman's taxi cab. I drove straight to the safehouse whilst admiring the scenery, traffic and even the pedestrians.

Skipping further ahead after all of the intros I was now wondering the streets of Hove Beach still breathless at the details. I remember the first thing I did after completing "The Cousins Bellic" was pick up a brick from the patch of land opposite the first safehouse, and throw it at a passing car. After having fun throwing bricks at cars I strolled on down to the Firefly Island and beach and got to know the Russian locals. I pushed a Russian ped out of the way so I could use the binoculars on the boardwalk opposite the Hot Coffee Store in Hove, and then getting into my first fight in the game. The angry Russian ped began punching me so I punched him back, though after a few blows he stumbled back and fell over the railing falling all the way down to the sand below. I jumped down to see if he was still alive or dead and, after collecting his dropped cash waited for the ambulance which came quickly to the scene. I readied myself to beat the guy up again thinking that the paramedic would revive the guy, but no the guy wasn't revived and the ambulance just drove away. I stared at the guy shocked that peds couldn't be revived from death as in previous GTA games, and so I went to steal my first car. biggrin.gif

Still in the Hove Beach area I took my newly stolen car to the beach again to drive over the sand dunes. I remember clipping the car on the railings which caused it to flip over onto it's roof. I jumped out of the car as soon as possible and ran a distance away to escape the explosion, but nothing. I stared at the car amazed that it didn't blow up from flipping onto the roof (a la past GTAs), and I even began to punch the car thinking it was glitched. Finally it hit me, this GTA was not like any past GTA, this one was different. New graphics, new physics, new feeling to the game.

Ah the nostalgia. sigh.gif So many fond memories I have of this game. I'm going to go and play IV again now. biggrin.gif

Awesome read bro. I might play through the story again on April 29th.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I had ordered an Xbox 360 online that come with the game as well as Halo 3 during May in 08, and for one week I would eagerly make my way home from school in anticipation of its arrival. After 4 school days of dissapointment, it came on the Friday. I set the thing up as fast as I could to my crappy foot wide box television and played all night. I remember spending the first three hours driving around like a maniac, smashing through windscreens, falling off of bikes and jumping out of helicopters as my family all hear me laughing like a crazed lunatic from the living room.

To this day, Halo 3 sits unopened in my wardrobe.

GtaNewbieyo
  • GtaNewbieyo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Just got the thing last friday, but I was in awe from the beginning. Seriously. I'm currently at the packie mission before three-leaf-clover, am I close to finishing? I dont want it to end sad.gif

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (GtaNewbieyo @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 23:23)
Just got the thing last friday, but I was in awe from the beginning. Seriously. I'm currently at the packie mission before three-leaf-clover, am I close to finishing? I dont want it to end sad.gif

Nope, you still have a fair share of the game left to go (much longer if you are aiming for 100% game completion). I'd say you are around half way through the storyline now.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

The Yardies

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Markhosdangerous @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 21:39)

Love it.

Happy IV years IV. smile.gif

marmoo
  • marmoo

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

wonderful game

Happy birthday chap smile.gif

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:17 PM Edited by Magic_Al, 28 April 2012 - 09:00 PM.

GTA IV has aged well. Sure, the graphics aren't as sharp as newer games but it's still very immersive and certainly seems more current than GTA SA seemed when it turned 4.

It's interesting that the "present day" setting (a mashup of 2005-2009 cultural ideas as the game and DLC were developed) seems to be aging faster than the technical aspects of the game. It's become a time capsule of its time period as much as the deliberately "period" GTAs. 9/11 crashing GTA III's release date turned that game's "present day" but pre-9/11 worldview into an escapist time capsule from day one, then all the GTAs to follow in that era were prequels that let us escape further into the past. GTA IV is the first one that had a chance to be experienced as a relevant take on the present day and then slowly fade into artifact status.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Midnight launch, party at EB Games. Lined up first, got the game, wished everyone the most fun time of their life, then headed home and didn't get much sleep.

huevos_benedicto_180
  • huevos_benedicto_180

Spring 2013

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Grand Theft Auto IV was the first game I had followed pre-release, as I was just properly getting into gaming as opposed to having a console and buying games whenever. Safe to say, I was very hyped for the game.

Sadly, even though I pre-ordered in February, a few days before my pre-order got cancelled for some weird reason, so I actually got the game on the 30th as opposed to the release date the 29th. So I went to school on the 30th and had to listen to my friends go on about it.

Suffice to say I walked home pretty sharpish, went to the dining table and the packaging was there. I opened it to find the box with the shiny lettering for the title. I put the disc in my PS3, read the manual which was hilarious as they always are for GTA. So after the install, which seemed like it had taken forever, the first cutscene started, to the startling sight of heavy bondage. The memory I take away from that day is when the cutscene ends and you're in the car, when I changed the station to the Beat 102.7 and Flashing Lights by Kanye West came on. While it's not necessarily the best song, I still get a tingly feeling whenever I hear it.

NewportByChrysler
  • NewportByChrysler

LC R29

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

2008 was four years ago....
Goddamn, time, you scary.

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Happy Birthday, IV.

Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (AndyGanteks @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 09:00)
QUOTE (Markhosdangerous @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 21:39)

Love it.

Happy IV years IV. smile.gif

Thanks! blush.gif

Happy B'day, GTA IV

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (huevos_benedicto_180 @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 22:33)
Grand Theft Auto IV was the first game I had followed pre-release, as I was just properly getting into gaming as opposed to having a console and buying games whenever. Safe to say, I was very hyped for the game.

Sadly, even though I pre-ordered in February, a few days before my pre-order got cancelled for some weird reason, so I actually got the game on the 30th as opposed to the release date the 29th. So I went to school on the 30th and had to listen to my friends go on about it.

Suffice to say I walked home pretty sharpish, went to the dining table and the packaging was there. I opened it to find the box with the shiny lettering for the title. I put the disc in my PS3, read the manual which was hilarious as they always are for GTA. So after the install, which seemed like it had taken forever, the first cutscene started, to the startling sight of heavy bondage. The memory I take away from that day is when the cutscene ends and you're in the car, when I changed the station to the Beat 102.7 and Flashing Lights by Kanye West came on. While it's not necessarily the best song, I still get a tingly feeling whenever I hear it.

Yeah, Flashing Lights always brings me back to when IV came out.

I'm going to start a new game now. Happy birthday GTAIV.

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

Crap 4 years already!! I remember spending a weekend at my cousins house playing gta iv when it first came out. I remember I was in 7th grade and I had to get my grades up a lot so I could convince my dad to get me an xbox and then I got gtaIV. Man I cannot believe I am still playing GTAIV to this day. AND MY COMPUTER STILL CANNOT RUN GTA IV AT MORE THAN 25 FPS!!

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

The time has gone by quick. I remember getting up and heading down to my local store at about 7am and being the first one there. I got the special edition on PS3 and still remember that new game smell.

The only thing sh*t about that day was I was forced to attend a job my employment agency arranged.

Happy birthday the 2nd best GTA. icon14.gif

ED-E
  • ED-E

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Happy birthday GTA 4!

Coincidentally yesterday I managed to obtain a 360 copy of GTA IV and today I'm going to start playing it

I didn't even know it was IV's Birthday lol

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I'm playing through it again, up to the first few missions with Playboy and Dwayne, and the last ones with Elizabeta. Still engrossing to this date.

This will be the second last time I go through the story straight. The last time will be a little before GTAV actually comes out. Who knows when that is. I might do a Revenge playthrough for this one, and a Deal one for the last one. Mainly because I believe that is the canon ending, so it may as well be the last.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I remember getting the game. I could not wait to play it.

However I got it online, which I WILL NEVER DO AGEIN! IM NOT DOING IT FOR GTA V! It sucked because I had to wait an extra few days before getting to play it, and listening to others talk about how great it was. But when I put it in my Xbox I was so exited to play it. It is the best game I have played to date. All my other games rarely saw the light of day after I got it. I was happy that I finally got my hands on it after so many delays.

But I will ensure I get GTA V as early as possible. I ensured I got TLAD and TBoGT as early as possible as I awakend at 5 AM for both episodes downloading them off the market place.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Louis van Gaal's red and white army!

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Happy Birthday GTA IV!

HeNDo6750
  • HeNDo6750

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

When i got GTA IV back in 2008, i was like whoa with the stunning graphics, gameplay and the things you could do in IV. And i still can't believe that 4 years has passed since GTA IV was released exactly on this day in 2008.

Happy Birthday GTA IV

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

happy belated GTA: IV!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users