Photo

Multiplayer Problems, Need Help

7 replies to this topic
tjbyrum1
  • tjbyrum1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Me and my cousin have GTA IV on the PS3, and we want to play it together.

I went to a random quick match free roam, and invited my cousin. He was on it for maybe 20-30 seconds, then he 'left' the game... but not because he chose to, he just disconnected from it or something.

So I went to 'Party Mode', invited him, and we was able to play for a while, and we had no problems.

But I tried to do one of those 'custom' kind of games... you know, where YOU can choose the cops, free-aim, etc, those settings. Unfortunately, my cousin was only able to play on it for about 10 seconds, before he - once again - 'left' the game (thus also logging me out of those game).

What's the problem? All I want to do is go to a customizable free roam with me as the party leader and play with my cousin - without any problems.

copsncrooksfan
  • copsncrooksfan

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Gta multiplayer is a fickle bitch!! Keep trying is the best you can do. Also check your internet settings in your ps3. After the connection test, there is a list of info. Look for the NAT setting. I think you want it to say NAT 1 for the best connections I believe.

tj11
  • tj11

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (copsncrooksfan @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 12:30)
Gta multiplayer is a fickle bitch!! Keep trying is the best you can do. Also check your internet settings in your ps3. After the connection test, there is a list of info. Look for the NAT setting. I think you want it to say NAT 1 for the best connections I believe.

NAT type 1 is when you have your PS3 connected directly to your modem. You want NAT type 2.
But no matter what the settings are this may still occur. It happens to everyone, though it's worse for some.
The best advice I can give, is let your friend host the game. It doesn't happen as much when you are the host.

copsncrooksfan
  • copsncrooksfan

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (tj11 @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 01:59)
Gta multiplayer is a fickle bitch!!  Keep trying is the best you can do. Also check your internet settings in your ps3. After the connection test, there is a list of info. Look for the NAT setting. I think you want it to say NAT 1 for the best connections I believe.

NAT type 1 is when you have your PS3 connected directly to your modem. You want NAT type 2.
But no matter what the settings are this may still occur. It happens to everyone, though it's worse for some.
The best advice I can give, is let your friend host the game. It doesn't happen as much when you are the host.

Ok, maybe NAT type 3 is what you need then. My friend had to change this setting in order to get multiplayer to work worth a crap. Don't be surprised by getting disconnected, it will still happen.

tj11
  • tj11

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (copsncrooksfan @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 13:13)
QUOTE (tj11 @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 01:59)
Gta multiplayer is a fickle bitch!!  Keep trying is the best you can do. Also check your internet settings in your ps3. After the connection test, there is a list of info. Look for the NAT setting. I think you want it to say NAT 1 for the best connections I believe.

Ok, maybe NAT type 3 is what you need then. My friend had to change this setting in order to get multiplayer to work worth a crap. Don't be surprised by getting disconnected, it will still happen.

No, NAT type 3 is when the settings are f*cked up on your router, that's exactly what you don't want.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:03 PM Edited by Spuds725, 20 April 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Lower the that NAT number the better--- I had issues forever with my old netgear router..... I forwarded all the required ports and still it sucked....

I finally resolved my issues by running wired connection to the modem directly---bypassing the router--- this give NAT 1--- no issues at all after doing this... however this places your PS3 "out there" with zero firewall protection.

I recently bought a new router (a new netegear gigabit router)-- I set it up correctly again and got NAT 2 and have no issues---

I will agree with the above that GTA IV is very fickle....

Here is what you need to to do to at least try and configure your router to work with GTA IV.

1. Wired connection-- don't even mess with running wireless--- any interference can drop your connection--- running wired is best.

2. You need to set a static (local) ip address for your PS3-- you CAN do this with the PS3 in the settings but may be easier to set it from your router if it supports this... you will need to log into the router-- and determine the which connection is your PS3s and then change it to an IP address that is unique for it... you do NOT want to set it as a low number in the range of IP addresses that the router will assign--- this is especially important if you set the IP address from the PS3.... for example if the router assigns IP addresses starting a. 101 and goes up from there... then set it up like .130 or so..... this is so another PC or whatnot won't take that IP address when it connect...( I am abbreviating the IP address.... it will be something like 192.168.1.130 or 192.168.0.130...

Some routers start at .2 and go up from there... in which case you will want it to be .30

3. After you set the static IP address for the PS3 you will need to forward the appropriate ports to the PS3's IP address... the easiest way to do this is to use this site--- http://portforward.c...routerindex.htm

find your router and then after you select you router model it will load a page showing a list of games.... find PLAY STATION NETWORK and click on it-- it will open up a page showing screen shots of your router and guide you on how to forward them for your router-- the list here will include the ports needed for GTA IV....

They will include Ports 80, 443, 5223, 3478, 3479, and 3658--- follow the directions closely and save ther router settings when done-- you will be forwarding them to the static IP address you set for the PS3... the router will be directing the internet traffic to that IP address through the holes you created in your firewall....

If you cannot set a static IP address from your router any one of a number of videos on youtube can walk you through how to set one on your PS3....

http://www.youtube.c...1365.3j7j1.11.0.

good luck.... HTH

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

Great advice Spuds, I personally only ever used a wired connection, never had any problems connecting.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks...

I remember what if feels like to have a crappy connection....

One thing to note with this problem is that the host of any game should have a good connection with a properly configured router--- this is a risk when you join any private match.

I personally didn't know squat about configuring a router until I had problems playing multiplayer-- since then I've configured VPN and remote desktop connections (SECURELY)..... if anyone does this (especially remote desktop)-- you will add a tremendous amount of security by taking a few extra steps.....

1. Set it up so no admin accounts can be accessed via remote desktop-- xp defaults to this condition-- (don't know about vista or windows 7)-- you can turn this off.

2. Do not use the default port for remote desktop-- this is 3389 for xp and I believe 3390 for vista and windows 7.... I found (via my router log) that there are hackers out there trying to access my remote desktop by brute attack--- trying default users and passwords.... they must use port scanners and look for ip addresses with those ports open.... by changing the port that remote desktop uses to some random one not used for something else-- the scanners won't find you--- I have my router log emailed to me each day and don't ever see anyone trying to access the remote configured IP address that I use.

3. Set up the remote user name and password using unique characters--- upper and lower case and using symbols.

4. Finally add a timeout for failed login attempts-- I set mine for a 10 minute time out after 3 failed attempts-- this will discourage any brute force attack if they happen to stumble on the open port and try to log on..... you can set this for a longer time or even for a manual reset of this account by an admin.

HTH....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users