Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 17:16)
Alot of people have compared The Wire to The Sopranos and recommended I give that show a try, but after looking into it, I can't say it has the same appeal to be honest. Might give it a shot in the future at some point.

Dude, this is must. I hate to admit but The Sopranos was my first proper TV series love but the writing in The Wire is a little more clever. The Sopranos was definitely my favourite show and I'm loving the second watching. But after watching The Wire, then going back to The Sopranos, The Wire just has the edge. Those two shows are the best television going.

Give The Wire a chance. It's layered, the politics in the show are amazing, just like The Sopranos. The way Tony operates business with Jonny Sachs etc, the moves on the chessboard he takes to keep him on top. Well, that's all in The Wire except it's from the streets, rival gangs right up through the police department and to the mayor. It's very realistic as well.

One a side not, if you are not watching Boardwalk Empire as well, that's a crime. Most of the writers from The Sopranos jumped on board. It's like The Sopranos except more refined, better production and set around prohibition in Atlantic City. You get to see the likes of a young Al Capone and most of the characters are based on real people.

I know you'll love them my Scottish friend.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 17:53)
QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 17:16)
Alot of people have compared The Wire to The Sopranos and recommended I give that show a try, but after looking into it, I can't say it has the same appeal to be honest. Might give it a shot in the future at some point.

Dude, this is must. I hate to admit but The Sopranos was my first proper TV series love but the writing in The Wire is a little more clever. The Sopranos was definitely my favourite show and I'm loving the second watching. But after watching The Wire, then going back to The Sopranos, The Wire just has the edge. Those two shows are the best television going.

Give The Wire a chance. It's layered, the politics in the show are amazing, just like The Sopranos. The way Tony operates business with Jonny Sachs etc, the moves on the chessboard he takes to keep him on top. Well, that's all in The Wire except it's from the streets, rival gangs right up through the police department and to the mayor. It's very realistic as well.

One a side not, if you are not watching Boardwalk Empire as well, that's a crime. Most of the writers from The Sopranos jumped on board. It's like The Sopranos except more refined, better production and set around prohibition in Atlantic City. You get to see the likes of a young Al Capone and most of the characters are based on real people.

I know you'll love them my Scottish friend.

To be honest, I've been meaning to get stuck into The Wire for a very long time now. I think I've lost count of the amount of times I've been told..."dude, if you love The Sopranos you'll love The Wire". That along with the amount of times I see the two shows being compared in YouTube comments has pushed me further and further to just getting the finger out and start watching.

It's great you said there is a political element to crime in The Wire. That's one of the things I loved about Sopranos. f*ck it, I'm going to order the first season at the end of the month and have a marathon night!

As for Boardwalk Empire. I watched the pilot a few months back and f*cking loved it. I've always had an interest of the mob back in the prohibition era with Lucky Luciano and his cronies, so to see it made into a tv series that is being made by alot of the same guys behind The Sopranos, is tv series heaven for me. I'm waiting for the 3rd season to drop here before I purchase all 3 seasons in one sitting.

Damn I'm gonna have a busy few months of tv catch up ahead of me wow.gif

Trevor Phillips Enterprise
  • Trevor Phillips Enterprise

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I will have to back ThePinkFloydSound up here and recommend The Wire. I was the same with The Sopranos being my first proper TV series obsession (I'm currently on my 4th re-watch) and I never thought I would come close to loving anything else as much, but I've recently started watching The Wire and it is definitely on par with The Sopranos, the realism and authenticity is outstanding, I was really drawn in from the pilot. I can tell now that it's a show I'm going to enjoy re-watching over and over and I've not even finished my first run. It's not just about the police either, it spends just as much time focusing on the streets and the drug trade as it does the police department and political corruption and it all ties in perfectly.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

You guys have certainly convinced me, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching The Wire. There's been a huge gap in tv viewing for me ever since The Sopranos finished 6 years ago, but now I have 2 great shows to look forward to in Boardwalk Empire and The Wire. From how you are describing TW, I just know after I start watching it, I'm gonna be kicking myself for not starting earlier.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

We want the complete show on Bluray HBO! The dvds look like dog sh*t!

'esserachis!

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

^^^

In the UK, only series 1 is available on blu ray.

The f*ck is that about?

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48 PM Edited by GTA-King, 02 March 2013 - 01:02 PM.

I'm near the end of season 2. Totally did not see that coming with Chris... mercie_blink.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Just finished season 2. That last episode was a f*cking mind trip! panic.gif

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

If you thought that was a mind trip, wait 'til the latter part of season 5.

Be sure to watch seasons 3 + 4 first of course.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

^ Oh for sure! I can't wait!

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

The season 2 finale, Funhouse is by far one of my favourite episodes from the series. Glad you're enjoying it biggrin.gif Season 2 is my favourite.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Wreckless Jake @ Monday, Mar 4 2013, 12:25)
The season 2 finale, Funhouse is by far one of my favourite episodes from the series. Glad you're enjoying it biggrin.gif Season 2 is my favourite.

Yeah man, season 2 is my fave so far too. I was sad to see Pussy go... but it had to be done. The dream sequences in Funhouse were crazy, but metaphorical. Pussy's voice as the dead fish was a nice touch. icon14.gif

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

It had the best ending to a season I think, everything going on as normal just after what had happened. And Tony at the end with the cigar, it's awesome.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

^ Yeah, it was a good ending... which surprised me. I know I'm in for some twists in season 3!

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm having serious withdrawal syndrome here!

I've got Firefly, Caprica, the final season of 24 and a whole load of movies I haven't seen, but all I wanna do is watch The Sopranos, all over again!

I suppose this is completely normal...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I need to start season 5 soon. I'm having fun re-watching The Sopranos but not as fun as re-watching The Wire. Over time and on my second watching of the two, The Wire is coming out stronger for me. I didn't think it could happen. The Sopranos will always be my first true TV love but The Wire is now my favourite. Boardwalk Empire is certainly shaping up to be up with the best too.

For the lulz.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

^ Hilarious! lol.gif

I swear some of those scenes aren't in the show though. Carmela with the AK? I don't remember that...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Haha, yeah man that's in there. Think it's season 5 or 6. Can't remember. biggrin.gif

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Carmela with the AK-47 is in season 1 where she thinks someone's breaking into the house but it's really Meadow attempting to sneak in/out.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yeah that scene was from the pilot. The vicar was also portrayed by a different actor to the dude who played him permanently there after.

On a side note, can anybody tell me how to post videos on this forum? Theres so many hilarious scenes from TS I want to spam up this thread.....ahem, I mean discuss with you guys.

I know, I'm f*cking retarded when it comes to this sh*t, but it would be a great help, cheers!

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

@The Scottish Guy:

See the letters after the "v=" add them to this code:

CODE
[youtube]LBdIcvv864I[/youtube]

And you get this:

smile.gif icon14.gif

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

That video is awesome, it's like a movie trailer!

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Cheers GTA-King, much appreciated.

And that video, though I've seen it many, many times before, it always gets better and better everytime I watch it. icon14.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

That's a mental video. I watched it a couple times now. icon14.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Starting season 3 here soon. Can't wait! smile.gif

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Enjoy man!

I can't tell you how much I am envious of you right now. I'd love to go back watching all the seasons for the first time, getting sucked up in all the suspense, surprises that come along. Keep us up to date on what you think dude. It supplies me with a little nostalgia!

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:32 PM Edited by GTA-King, 07 March 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Will do man, and I know exactly how you feel. I like reading about people's opinions on Breaking Bad when they first start watching. It definitely brings back memories. icon14.gif

user posted image

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

^^^Love it biggrin.gif icon14.gif

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:47 AM