Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

user posted image
A thread dedicated to
user posted image

What is The Sopranos?
The Sopranos is an American television drama series created by David Chase that revolves around the New Jersey-based Italian-American mobster Tony Soprano and the difficulties he faces as he tries to balance the conflicting requirements of his home life and the criminal organization he heads. The series also features Tony's family members and Mafia associates in prominent roles and storylines, most notably his wife Carmela and cousin and protégé Christopher Moltisanti. A central theme is his professional relationship with his psychiatrist, Dr. Jennifer Melfi.
source: Wikipedia

I decided to create this Sopranos themed thread because it's my personal all time favourite television programme of all time and I think GTAForums needs a space dedicated to such an incredibly well written and awe-inspiring show.

This is a space to discuss the show in more depth than the general television discussion thread. Post your reviews of episodes and characters or share videos, images and anything Sopranos related here.

The rules are simple, 1, use spoiler tags where necessary and 2, don't disrespect the bing, capiche?
user posted image

--------------------
Going to kick start this thread with one of my favourite scenes from the show.

Corrado "Junior" Sopranos becomes boss.

This always puts hairs on the back of my neck, it's the music and the black and white photos being taken that captivates this scene in my opinion.

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Good stuff, It's the one show I've been meaning to watch and get into, but just never got around to it.

It's on tv constantly but I want to see it from start to finish.

Trevor Phillips Enterprise
  • Trevor Phillips Enterprise

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

It's definitely worth getting into from start to finish. As soon as I watched them all I started again and it's just as good the second time around. I'm having a break from it now though as I've borrowed my box set to my girlfriends parents.

Funniest guy from the Sopranos has to be Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri.

Love how he steals the lawnmower at the end, classic Paulie.

I'm disappointed at the lack of discussion in this thread, especially on a forum dedicated to an organized crime based video game!

AzO
  • AzO

All rights reserved©

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

For me it was one of the best TV series. It's up there with Oz.

I enjoyed every episode. Finished it a couple of months ago. Will prolly re-watch it again sometime in the future.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

My favorite episode is still Season 2 finale "Funland". And it had one of the best final scenes:

Perfect editing. Thinking about what happened in that episode and how they just went on with their lives, the ending scene is phenomenal for so many reasons. Those who didn't watch the show can't notice the actual atmosphere of this scene.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Agreed, one of my favourite episodes too. My heart was in my mouth when they were about to whack Big Pussy.
user posted image

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

I just finished season 2 tonight. I'm on my second watching. It's got to be my favorite show. I can't believe how good it still is on second watching and some of the things I forgot or missed out on in the first watching is incredible.

Nice topic man. icon14.gif

•¿F¡ññ4L¡ƒ£?•
  • •¿F¡ññ4L¡ƒ£?•

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Interesting you put that banner up since i have 2 banners for that, one of them was meant for a different background so of course now it looks sh*t but.

user posted image
and
user posted image

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Sopranos is my all-time favorite show, ever.

but isn't it a little late to start the topic when it's been dead since 2007?

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

The titanic sank over a 100 years ago, yet they still keep going on about it, if Jake wants to dedicate a topic to a old tv show, why not!

If anyone has a link to these shows online, feel free to pm me, doubt the boxset will cost much to buy though?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 13:11)
The titanic sank over a 100 years ago, yet they still keep going on about it, if Jake wants to dedicate a topic to a old tv show, why not!

If anyone has a link to these shows online, feel free to pm me, doubt the boxset will cost much to buy though?

I have all the episodes on my hardrive but haven't been able to get at them via my Mac. I googles the episode I wanted and it came up first result. icon14.gif

And yeah, me plus others have started The Sopranos topics so I think it's nice to have one dedicated one that actually looks good biggrin.gif

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 12:11)

I bought the box set for £50 from HMV when it was on offer in November. Which is cheap really for a box set.

Also, I created this thread because The Sopranos is a phenom of a television show and deserves to be recognized as such, regardless to when it ended.

I loved Uncle Junior before he lost it, he was such a good character. Very level headed and cold blooded, the way he sanctioned a hit on his own nephew, he's the type of guy who would have anyone whacked to keep his head above the water.

"Next time come heavy or not at all"

He doesen't take sh*t either...
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
“You stupid f*ckin’ blabbermouth c*nt. Collect your pencils and your crap and the rest of your sh*t and don’t be here tomorra”

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Classic...^

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:01 PM Edited by Fnorg, 18 April 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Favorite Paulie moment. I lost it when he threw the chair at the ghosts:

"I'm asking you to leave, sir."

"Yeah? f*ckIN' QUEEHS!"

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Haha, Paulie cracks me up, I love that episode where he pulls up next to Big Pussy and honks his Godfather themed horn, then says "Come on ya hard on before we get a ticket".
user posted image

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:24 PM Edited by Girish, 04 May 2012 - 06:28 PM.

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 05:11)

it's illegal but here ya go.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

I've given in and started watching it again, my girlfriend's parents gave me my box set back until they have the time to watch it and I was tempted to watch season one. I love season 1 and 2, most of my favourie moments are from those two seasons. One of which includes the end of season 1, episode 4. It's Jackie Aprile's funeral and Tony had allowed Junior to become acting boss to keep him out of the eye of the feds and to keep his uncle happy (even though it's Tony who is really running things. I also like how A.J is only just coming to terms with the fact that his father is a mob boss but still loves him as a father regardless, no matter what he does for a living.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Get rid of that link you putz.

Also, don't watch this unless you've finished the series.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Haha, that's great. He's spot on with his impressions, I love his Silvio one!

Check out this GTA IV version of The Sopranos intro, it's spot on

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Friday, May 4 2012, 11:14)
Get rid of that link you putz.

just trying to help people...

at least it was there for over a month before the mods noticed.

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

My favorite episode is Another Toothpick. It really shows the morality or lack there of of Tony. He finally met his match in the form of that traffic officer. That man was everything Tony was not, and he knew it. You had to feel bad for the officer from the beginning when Tony and Carmela were giving him a hard time. Even though the officer lost his position and his overtime he kept his dignity at the end. That offended look he gave Tony at the end was one of my favorite moments in the show. Also Tony sending a sick Bobby Bacala, Sr to kill Mustang Sally was a bad decision that led to the old man's death

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I just remembered this classic scene

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:27 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 12 May 2012 - 09:05 PM.

QUOTE (Fnorg @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 22:01)
Favorite Paulie moment. I lost it when he threw the chair at the ghosts:

[youtube]kDxhBR2Tmes[youtube]

"I'm asking you to leave, sir."

"Yeah? f*ckIN' QUEEHS!"

I watched that scene over and over again. I read on another Sopranos forums where they were discussing the spiritual world that exists in the series. For example, Chris going to purgatory.

Did the clairvoyant know Paulie from media sources or are the writers suggesting that these guys are the real deal? He seemed to know a lot of info that freaked Paulie out.

@:GTAvanja: Watched that one a million times too. It's classic alright.

.2D
  • .2D

Look at the Flowers.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

I've been rewatching The Sopranos for a while now, and man, I really wish they used more of Junior. He was a f*cking awesome character early on and they really should have kept him as the boss for another season.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

@GTAVanja: Haha, "I stick motherf*cking provolone in my socks at night so they smell like your sisters crotch in the morning". I love it when Sil gets mad, because he's usually very calm and collected like any good consigliere should be, so it's an amusing rarity to see him kick off like that.

@ThePinkFloydSound: It's funny how paranoid and superstitious Paulie gets in other episodes.

Paulie and Chris make such a good team!

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just got into this, already up to Season 3, really loving it so far, took me ages to figure out why I recognised the psychiatrist. Then it hit me, Goodfella's!

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm up to season 4 on my third run through...yeah, my third. I am obsessed with The Sopranos.

What's everyones opinion on the series finale Made In America? I don't think it's as disappointing as people say, I like how they left it open for us to decide for ourselves what happens to Tony in the diner and if Sil survives his coma.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

The finale gets better on multiple viewings, IMO.Tony's final scenes with Paulie and Junior are two particular standouts. It's a shame too many people only remember the last scene when they immediately speak of "Made in America". Along with "The Blue Comet", the final two hours of The Sopranos are two of the finest hours of television this side of the millennium.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:37 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 29 June 2012 - 02:42 AM.

QUOTE (Wreckless Jake @ Wednesday, Jun 27 2012, 15:07)
What's everyones opinion on the series finale Made In America? I don't think it's as disappointing as people say, I like how they left it open for us to decide for ourselves what happens to Tony in the diner and if Sil survives his coma.

I never thought it was disappointing...

and not because I think they left it open. I think it's clear cut and I still loved it.
when it comes to Sil, obviously it's left open. but I'm 99% certain that Tony is dead meat.

in the episode Soprano Home Movies, there's a scene in which Tony and Bobby are sitting in a row boat having a conversation about life and death. this is shortly after (or just before, I forget) Tony sent Bobby on a mission to whack some guy, and Bobby was wondering about what happens when it's your turn to die. during their conversation, Bobby distinctly utters the words "You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" implying that death provides no warning, and that everything probably just goes black before you even know it. especially for people like them, gangsters, who are typically murdered from behind.

in the episode Blue Comet, there is a flashback to this exact scene minutes before Bobby is whacked.
this is Bobby's premonition that will carry over to the final episode.

in the final scene of the final episode Tony is getting ready to order his food and a man passes by him going to the restroom.
the man can be seen distinctly wearing a member's-only-style jacket. in the credits he is also listed as "Man in Members Only jacket."

the mafia is a member's-only club.
you're either in or you're out. and once you're in, you're in for life. there's no getting out except through death. these are the rules of Cosa Nostra that were famously popularized by The Godfather films; the preeminent gangster drama of all time.

in the very first Godfather film Michael Corleone cements his loyalty and membership to the mafia by pulling off a spectacular hit job in a restaurant. how does he do it? he goes to the restroom to retrieve a gun that was hidden and waiting for him. he comes back out and shoots his enemies before they have any time to react.

Tony took a bullet in the side of the head from the guy who went to the bathroom.
he was looking up just as his daughter walked in and suddenly everything goes black without warning... just as Bobby imagined.

as if this wasn't enough, the first episode of the final season was even called Member's Only.
and what happened in that episode? Tony was critically shot for the first time in his life. now he was only shot by his Uncle Junior on accident, and he survives of course, but the clues are overwhelming.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

The Sopranos has some awesome songs!
The Chi-Lites Oh Girl

This is from Season 4, Watching Too Much Television, one of my favourite episodes.

"Out of all the girls in North Jersey you had to f*ck this one. Go ahead, cry like a bitch"

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users