Photo

Imagination

16 replies to this topic
GOUSN1776
  • GOUSN1776

U.S. Marine

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Well, you may remember my last thread: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=507039 You may also remember I was discussing something about trees, well now I remember. My sibling jogged my memory when we were shopping and she said, "[Maybe you're imagining all this]".

What I sometimes think is that perhaps we are all in some type of coma-state or not and are all imagining our everyday lives. Even trees may be imagining their existence.

What is the plausibility and your belief(s) of all this?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

What is real and what isn't? There is no way of knowing. As was said in your last topic, reality is what our Brain's perceive. You could read about The Allegory of the Cave. It's an interesting read.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Shutter Island.

GOUSN1776
  • GOUSN1776

U.S. Marine

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 08:02)
What is real and what isn't? There is no way of knowing. As was said in your last topic, reality is what our Brain's perceive. You could read about The Allegory of the Cave. It's an interesting read.

I may be wrong but perhaps this is how combat vets feel when they return to their home country.

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci Racing

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I think considering the tree can be seen in the same position, orientation, colour, texture size etc etc by millions of people definitely proves that yes, reality is what our brain perceives, but its all so similar/identical that it is impossible that we all live in comma states.

Having said that, it ain't hard achieving a comma state! Bottle of whiskey anyone?

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Viperman @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 18:10)
I think considering the tree can be seen in the same position, orientation, colour, texture size etc etc by millions of people definitely proves that yes, reality is what our brain perceives, but its all so similar/identical that it is impossible that we all live in comma states.

Having said that, it ain't hard achieving a comma state! Bottle of whiskey anyone?

What if we all perceived things differently, and because adjectives are so hard to describe without using other adjectives we all know different perceptions as the same thing. This theory can be described well with colors.

This is orange for you:
user posted image

But this could be orange for me:
user posted image

Every time someone says something is orange I might see that second color because I perceive the color differently. My understanding is that this actually occurs on a minor scale, but what if it was less minor than we thought.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

The same with taste.

zoo3891, my father used the same explanation.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (GOUSN1776 @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 07:53)
What I sometimes think is that perhaps we are all in some type of coma-state or not and are all imagining our everyday lives. Even trees may be imagining their existence.

That would be somewhat interesting, if you really are into this kind of things I recommend you the movie Source Code.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Imagination of Imagining your Imagination

INCEPTION

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Well, say if we were all in a coma-state or that it was true that the world was all in our heads, would the mind actually allow this to become a conscious thought or would it never let you know the truth? This, in turn, begs the question, what would happen if we did become consciously aware that our reality was actually our imagination? Could the mind handle such a complex thought? Sometimes I get that feeling in which it seems as though you are in a dream would, that nothing is real. It's odd because sometimes my dreams are so vivid that they, somewhat ironically, feel real. I have woken up fully believing that it was real. A long time ago I had a dream that I had found some money and hid it under my pillow. When I woke up, I checked under my pillow to find nothing there and immediately thought it had been stolen. The line between reality and imagination was blurred. It's very interesting that even a logical thinking bloke like myself can still be tricked by his own mind.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

For some strange reason, I used to have similiar thoughts a lot when I was younger, and even as far as to question whether everything I perceived in my life was just perceived in my life, and only existed for me...if you understand this. Kind of like The Truman Show, but on a bigger scale...

Tori_95
  • Tori_95

PHD Guy

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

You project the world as you want it to be

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

Imagination is one of the things that seperates us from other life forms that we are aware of. Perhaps its the frontal lobe. I don't know. Lately I have been wondering what a thought is made of. If our reality is defined by what is physical and the sciences only acknowledge objectively solid "matter", then what is a thought? Hmmm. I, well...?

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

☛✔Goals Achieved: 1/1☚

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

These threads are trippy as f*ck! mercie_blink.gif

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

I figure this would be appropriate for this topic because we're on the philosophy of reality. There's a theory that consciousnesses is spread across infinite universes, so when one dies another continues the life. Under this theory if anyone dies they don't actually die, but continue their life as if they never died.

The worst part of this theory is that you'll continue living after everyone else has died, and eventually you'll get to see the earth destroyed with you on it.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Like taste buds on a tongue or waves in an ocean, we perceive ourselves as individuals because we are part of a whole that can not perceive itself. We are pure unbiased conciousness, who we think we are now are just tools used to see life manifest itself.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (rhyn @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 03:44)
Like taste buds on a tongue or waves in an ocean, we perceive ourselves as individuals because we are part of a whole that can not perceive itself. We are pure unbiased conciousness, who we think we are now are just tools used to see life manifest itself.

This might be the closest thing we can comprehend of the divine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users