IP Banning?

9 replies to this topic
Mr. Reaper.
  • Mr. Reaper.

Inactive Account

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I'm sure most of the staff have noticed due to the frequent reports.

But to summarize, over in the Gangs section there is a group of users merely joining to cause trouble, one in particular.

They were this 'UTM' group.

Anyway to the point, all they do is cause drama and trouble and always get banned, however they create new ID's and continue.

These are the two most recent ID's:

don snipes morano
Dan Morano

Can they be IP Banned?
To prevent further drama and trouble.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

Yes they IP ban. But there are ways around them, like using a proxy, or a different computer, or if they have a dynamic IP then an IP ban isn't going to stop that person for long.

Mr. Reaper.
  • Mr. Reaper.

Inactive Account

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (sonnyBlack @ Saturday, Apr 14 2012, 06:06)
Yes they IP ban. But there are ways around them, like using a proxy, or a different computer, or if they have a dynamic IP then an IP ban isn't going to stop that person for long.

I'm aware of that, but if not that much of an effort it'd be worth it, at least slow them for awhile.

Personally I don't feel that they as a group have enough brain cells between them to figure out how to work around it.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

IP bans are easy to issue, it's as simple as checking off an option when in the process of banning. So I wouldn't doubt that each time one of these morons gets banned, the staff makes it an IP ban. No effort required. But there's also no effort required in getting around them either, so it won't even stop them for a while. It's so easy, a caveman can do it.

Mr. Reaper.
  • Mr. Reaper.

Inactive Account

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (sonnyBlack @ Saturday, Apr 14 2012, 06:19)
IP bans are easy to issue, it's as simple as checking off an option when in the process of banning. So I wouldn't doubt that each time one of these morons gets banned, the staff makes it an IP ban. No effort required. But there's also no effort required in getting around them either, so it won't even stop them for a while. It's so easy, a caveman can do it.

These guys make the cavemen look like an genius.

It was merely a question.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Just report them. This should be the best way to get rid of problems.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

If I remember right, Dearmest (One of the banned member) has got an IP ban. Actually, I was wondering about posting this idea that they should give IP ban if the PBM makes a 3rd account. In that manner, he would say farewell to all innocent guys who he trolled up.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Saturday, Apr 14 2012, 20:02)
If I remember right, Dearmest (One of the banned member) has got an IP ban.

Nope.

And IP bans are never really effective for non-bots. A human, no matter how stupid, can always find ways to get around them.

Like NaidRaida said, just report them and we'll keep banning them.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

In most cases staff don't do IP bans. This is mainly because most users have dynamic IPs. This means that if they get IP banned, they can just come back a few minutes later with a new IP. The work around to that would be to do a IP range ban. Doing that though bans many IP's and could unfairly ban someone who happens to live nearby nearby or is on the same ISP.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

If I reset my router I get a new IP. People are people so they'll never stop being silly no matter how many times you ban them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users