Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

I know I'll never find a program do what I want, and those that know me know I can usually find anything online if it exist.
So I'm asking if someone can make a simple program for me.

I want a simple little thing that will copy whatever is on a disc (CDs and DVDs) to a destination (drive:\folder\) as it does this it should change the disc name and use that to create a folder in the destination location and then copy the disc's contents to that folder. Then once it's done it ejects the disc.
The catch is that I would like to be automated, no interaction from me. Basically once I get it configured as to which CD/DVD drive letter to look for as the source and where the destination is, I would like to be able to just hit a start-like button so as soon as I do put in a disc it'll copy and eject and keep doing this until I finally do come back and hit the "stop" button.

Fine tuning element to keep in mind; if it sees that the disc's name is the same as an already existing folder name then it'll add something like (2) or (3) and so on to the end of the new folder name.
Another choice to that is that no matter what the disc name, when it creates the folder name based on that it adds a space and the inserts the current time (at least hours and minutes, 24-hour format would be my choice), this way no matter how many times the same disc name comes up the time will always be different. I completely understand that this might start to over complicate the simplicity.

I could settle for a BAT script/program that will do this as long as the settings are easy to set. I would prefer something with a GUI.

If you happen to know of program that will do this that exist already then please tell me.

No this has nothing to do with audio CDs or movie DVDs. This is for copying simple archive data discs to a HDD.

Thanks for any help.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Windows? I don't do GUI, but I can write a simple console program that will do all of the above that uses a small config file for source and destination.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:42 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 13 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Yes, Windows. Windows 7 to be exact.
Sorry I would have mentioned that.

I'd have no problem taking a look at whatever you can offer.

I did eventually find this: http://www.softpedia...ard-Drive.shtml
However it only does the copying part, nothing else; no folder created based on the disc's name and it's not automated. Admittedly I haven't actually tried it but from the screen shot it seems you have to go back each time to tell where and click the "copy files" button.

/edit
Oh one more thing if it's not too much trouble, can you make it so that it won't let the normal Windows auto-run window open while this program is running.
If memory serves you can manually do that by holding the Shift key when you put a disc it. That might have been only to stop the disc's autorun and only back on XP. But if it is possible that would be a big time saver too.

Again, thanks.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Not sure about autorun. I'd have to look it up. I should have some time tomorrow to look into it.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

I found that disabling auto run is easier than what I remembered from XP. So that shouldnt be an issue for me to do that myself while doing the file copying then turn it back on later

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

@ Wolf,

Do you still require this program?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

What program? K^2 hasn't given me anything yet.
I found another, updated version than what I posted before. http://www.perfectau...hard-drive.html
Trying it now but it has some issues that I don't like and have no idea how to get around.
It doesn't get the drive's name it just does <name>%i where the <name> can be anything you fill in and %i is that it starts with the number 1 and works it way up 1 number per disc. The problem is that if I stop it at any time I'm pretty sure it'll start from the number 1 again instead of letting me tell it what number to start from and when you're going to be doing 200-300 disc over the course of the next several days, well you can see where that might be an issue. I can think of a work around for that but that's just annoying as hell.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 13:41)
What program? K^2 hasn't given me anything yet.

Ah ok.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

@ Wolf,

I'm currently seeing if I can come up with a solution for this using VB6.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

I PMd you. I believe I already wrote the exact program you are looking for.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 04:31)
I PMd you. I believe I already wrote the exact program you are looking for.

I wrote one in VB6! Hopefully your program doesn't have the same problem as Wolf reported about mine, although, I never experienced the same problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users