Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has R* ever spent 4 years developing a GTA sequel?

153 replies to this topic
urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:08 AM Edited by urbanfire, 14 April 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Before you guyz flame me and say YeS - GTA IV, hear me out. Sequels as in same engine, new game.

GTA3 was released on 2001, 2 years after GTA 2 and a phenomenal step in the right direction (3D!!)

So that includes the basic engine and foundation - renderware physics, the car & ped models, environment, scripted real time events like opening vehicle doors etc. Then you have the storyline, weapons, characters, minimissions etc, all which took 2 years to make.

So now that they have the foundation set, they could recycle alot of stuff like the physics, basic environmental layout etc. All they needed to add in the sequels VC and SA was more content. Thus:

1 year later, VC comes out, the most epic in the series to create mood, atmosphere, and nostalgia Gotta Love the 80s!

2 years later, comes out GTA SA, the pinnacle of Sandbox Genre There was more stuff in this game than the last 10 EA games combined!

4 years pass, and we have our first GTA on the new consoles, GTA IV . Hailed as redefining the genre, it boasted the most realistic, life-like game with a living, breathing city that is unmatched even till today. I understand why it took 4 years - creating a game engine from scratch takes alot of time and resource. And with the sophistication and level of detail in GTA IV, its understandable why it took 4 years not 2 like GTA 3.

Another 4 years pass and we get a trailer.... Following the logic of GTA VC and SA, this game shouldn't take more than 1 - 2 years to release following GTA IV. Even from the trailer we see a very strong resemblance to GTA IV - character models and cars have been recycled. Physics system is the same, or as some people pointed out, less realistic (watch the scene where the red car turns a corner to bypass the police)

So my question is, what could R* be possibly hiding about this game that took them 5+ years to produce? I believe there's going to be alot to reveal for R* in the upcoming months. They're hiding their big guns, playing the game with a straight poker face. May be that trailer we saw was just a tip of the iceberg, and like Titanic, we are crashing into it underestimating it in every sense.

Edit: It seems people are not understanding my point. Simply, I'm saying in order to justify taking 4 years like GTA IV, R* must be focusing IMMENSELY on Gameplay and the map this time, since the other areas have already been refined in GTA IV. It's like comparing GTA3 (2 years in dev) vs GTA SA (also 2 years in dev). The difference - gameplay and the map. Think not that GTA V will be like what VC was to GTA3, but think instead that GTA V will be like what SA was to GTA3.

InSanitable
  • InSanitable

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Games that are bigger and have more attention to detail take longer to develop.

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

they did say bold new direction

but who knows the engine might now be brand new

or maybe they simply didn't have time to just work on gta thats why it took that time

Rauland
  • Rauland

Test your might

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (InSanitable @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:09)
Games that are bigger and have more attention to detail take longer to develop.

That's why they get more people to work on it wink.gif

Work on GTA V could have been started late 2007 or 2009!! I hope it was 2007, but dan houser said they make sequels later than people expect. I hope this is not the case for gta 5! I'm expecting a lot from this game.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:18 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 13 April 2012 - 09:20 AM.

I'm not convinced R* have been working on it continuously since 2008. RDR and LA Noire themselves took a long time to develop and while I have no doubt North in particular had plans in 2008 I reckon the real development on GTA V didn't start until some time in 2010 IMO.

Little William
  • Little William

Mangi PNG ya!!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:20 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 13 April 2012 - 10:05 AM.

Don't you just wish mods couldn't edit your idiotic posts?

GTAViscool1
  • GTAViscool1

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Little William @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:20)
Those lazy R* pricks thinks they deserve a four year holiday after the so-called "success" of GTA IV (which is the worst GTA ever!) and now they feel they need to do another IV rehash to keep us interested and let go of our money. There is no way I am buy this crap, meaning GTA V, and support these lazy alcoholic bastards. V is a rental at best for me, thank you!

Zee 2

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Little William @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 04:20)
Those lazy R* pricks thinks they deserve a four year holiday after the so-called "success" of GTA IV (which is the worst GTA ever!) and now they feel they need to do another IV rehash to keep us interested and let go of our money. There is no way I am buy this crap, meaning GTA V, and support these lazy alcoholic bastards. V is a rental at best for me, thank you!

Translation:

I will be standing in line for hours awaiting day 1 release.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Little William @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 20:20)

Good for you. Why do people think it's necessary to tell everyone they don't want to buy GTA V? I thought this section was for interested fans?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 10:18)
I'm not convinced R* have been working on it continuously since 2008. RDR and LA Noire themselves took a long time to develop and while I have no doubt North in particular had plans in 2008 I reckon the real development on GTA V didn't start until some time in 2010 IMO.

I reckon you're right. EFLC came out in 2009 then we had RDR and LA Noire. .

bluesboyjr
  • bluesboyjr

Founder of the Zee Memorial Foundation

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (GTAViscool1 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 10:21)
QUOTE (Little William @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:20)

Zee 2

QUOTE (Little William @ Friday, Apr 3 2009, 14:07)
Also, can you guys cut some slack with IV. Like GTA III, this game is a beginning of a new era for GTA. I'm sure the next game would improve a lot from IV. When R* make the next GTA as big as SA, you guys will say it is much better than SA! Until then, boys.

I'd say more of a JoanCrawford 2 - he's trying to cash in on that Zee magic, but just doesn't have the credentials.

OT: I blame Agent. Methinks Rockstar North cocked it up somehow after a couple of years of work, and in a few years time after GTA V we'll see it resurrected by a different R* studio.

HeNDo6750
  • HeNDo6750

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

R* would have started on GTA V straight away like with GTA IV back in 2004. Because the more time they have with GTA V, the more things can be added in the game and would have time to spare before 2012. Because R* wanted to start on their next innovation (GTA V) the second GTA IV hit the shelves.

So that is why back in 2009 i think that R* recorded the GTA V trailer as part of the trailer is a bit unfinished and why would they release the trailer of the game in an unfinished state back in NOV 2011.

So the trailer is about 2 years old i think

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:48 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 13 April 2012 - 09:58 AM.

QUOTE (HeNDo6750 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 20:38)
R* would have started on GTA V straight away like with GTA IV back in 2004. Because the more time they have with GTA V, the more things can be added in the game and would have time to spare before 2012. Because R* wanted to start on their next innovation (GTA V) the second GTA IV hit the shelves.

So that is why back in 2009 i think that R* recorded the GTA V trailer as part of the trailer is a bit unfinished and why would they release the trailer of the game in an unfinished state back in NOV 2011. 

I don't know. To me the game looks graphically similar to RDR's trailers. If it was recorded in 2009 I think it would've shown its age.

bluesboyjr- lol. Little William is trying to fill the sidekick role Joan used to. Even though Zee is an annoying bastard at times there's only one Zee. These imitators are just sad.

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Didn't a bunch Of R* North employees Went on vacation? Which is L.A smile.gif

HeNDo6750
  • HeNDo6750

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:48)
QUOTE (HeNDo6750 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 20:38)

I don't know. To me the game looks graphically similar to RDR's trailers. If it was recorded in 2009 I think it would've shown its age.

Yes but if the GTA V trailer is 2 years old then it looks like RDR's graphics even back in 2009, so yes it is 2 years old.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (HeNDo6750 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 04:38)

Not sure if I agree, but it'd be awesome, cuz it'd mean the game would be vastly improved since the time of the trailer which is just a great thought.

What're the reasons you believe it was recorded that long ago?

koothara
  • koothara

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

RDR is developed by Rockstar San Diego,MP3 is a joint effort by 3 R* studios(R* north is not directly involved)historically GTAs are developed by R* north alone.Even if they started working on GTA 5 in 2009(they should-they are not doing any other games),it is almost 4 years.Why they are taking so much years?.Only God knows when it comes.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

HD era has made everything a whole lot more expensive and longer to make also the problems they seemed to be having with disk limitations probably took a while to solve. Don't forget they also made 2 DLC packs which both could be classed a fully fledged games aswell as working on Agent on the side makes 4 years development time seem justified, the lack of information on the other hand....

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (urbanfire @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 20:08)
Even from the trailer we see a very strong resemblance to GTA IV - character models and cars have been recycled. Physics system is the same, or as some people pointed out, less realistic.

So my question is, what could R* be possibly hiding about this game that took them 5+ years to produce?

I think we may see recurring characters, but it won't be a sequel, another Niko story is not happening, his is over.
-
Car models from what we have seen are recycled to a point much more detail though, i think the Audi we saw in the trailer actually had slight grooves in the bonnet and sides.
Character models have improved ridiculously, they are not recycled, they look totally different.
How do we know the physics is the same? RDR physics weren't the same they used the same engine though, the physics will be similar but most definitely not the same.
-
So wait, your whole topic was about sequels, and now you ask what it has taken R* 5+ years (When in fact it's been 4 so far) to produce, your topic isn't even about sequels anymore.
TO answer the question there has been more on Rockstars plate than before, it's not just GTA.
As for the the rest i honestly have no idea, i guess we can expect something amazing.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:18)

Yeah I don't think they went into full development on GTA V straight after GTA IV like they did with all the others. I think they focused on Agent after GTA IV but development didn't go a smoothly as they wanted and so they went back to GTA. I think their plan was to do GTA V after Agent but it was taking too long.

As for the trailer being '2 years old'... turn.gif

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (koothara @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 05:09)
RDR is developed by Rockstar San Diego,MP3 is a joint effort by 3 R* studios(R* north is not directly involved)historically GTAs are developed by R* north alone.Even if they started working on GTA 5 in 2009(they should-they are not doing any other games),it is almost 4 years.Why they are taking so much years?.Only God knows when it comes.

They helped a lot with RDR, also supplied plenty of help for LA Noire...

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (bluesboyjr @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:35)

OT: I blame Agent. Methinks Rockstar North cocked it up somehow after a couple of years of work, and in a few years time after GTA V we'll see it resurrected by a different R* studio.

Agent is dead.Period.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Well LA Noire was made by Team Bondi and was published by R*.

RDR could have taken a lot of time.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:21 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 13 April 2012 - 10:24 AM.

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 21:18)
QUOTE (bluesboyjr @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 09:35)

Agent is dead.Period.

I reckon we'll see Agent as R*'s first next gen title as a test mule for a new engine for GTA Next.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 05:19)

Well LA Noire was made by Team Bondi and was published by R*.

RDR could have taken a lot of time.

People are so quick to "drop some knowledge" and say that R* didn't help develop LAN...

http://www.lanoirecr...m/rockstar.html

There ya are.

HeNDo6750
  • HeNDo6750

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 10:05)
QUOTE (HeNDo6750 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 04:38)

Not sure if I agree, but it'd be awesome, cuz it'd mean the game would be vastly improved since the time of the trailer which is just a great thought.

What're the reasons you believe it was recorded that long ago?

because when i look at the trailer more and more often, some of the trailer looks a bit unfinished here and there, but rest of the trailer looks like its more completed than what i have said. So i think about mid to late 2008 R* North started on GTA V, then about late 2008 to early 2009 part of the R* North team started on TLaD and then TBoGT and the rest of the R* team continued on GTA V, then recorded the trailer of GTA V to see what it was like at that stage sometime in 2009 and then continued again on GTA V.

That is why the trailer i think was taken back in mid 2009, and then other trailers (if there is any more) was recorded about late 2009 to 2010 to capture the games development.

1whitebuddah
  • 1whitebuddah

SHOWN PARASITIC

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

me thinks there rushing this game like they did with vice city

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (1whitebuddah @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 02:33)
me thinks there rushing this game like they did with vice city

I've been meaning to bring this up but was never really given an opening so, thanks for that!

I believe GTA5 was codenamed RUSH for a reason.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I don't think it's being rushed at all. Yes it's probably not been in development for 4 years but it shouldn't take more than 2/3 to make a huge game considering the engine and tech isn't new. Rockstar don't rush stuff, Max Payne shows that.

1whitebuddah
  • 1whitebuddah

SHOWN PARASITIC

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Knife @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 10:47)
I don't think it's being rushed at all. Yes it's probably not been in development for 4 years but it shouldn't take more than 2/3 to make a huge game considering the engine and tech isn't new. Rockstar don't rush stuff, Max Payne shows that.

rockstar admiited in an interview that they rushed vice city.

rockstars standards are high, so even if they rushed the game i don't think they would release an unfinished version like some developers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users