Photo

Havent been excited for any video games this gen

30 replies to this topic
Viciousliquids
  • Viciousliquids

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I guess you could say im getting old lol im only 22 but I haven't been excited to play any videos games this gen, I played GTA 4 and all, just wasnt the same, I guess I like the limitations of PS2 graphics lol Does anyone feel this way? like they aren't into gaming that much anymore?

Butters 2011
  • Butters 2011

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Viciousliquids @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 21:23)
I guess you could say im getting old lol im only 22 but I haven't been excited to play any videos games this gen, I played GTA 4 and all, just wasnt the same, I guess I like the limitations of PS2 graphics lol Does anyone feel this way? like they aren't into gaming that much anymore?

A few of us were having this debate a few months back, and a lot of members agreed, but for various reasons. I think at the end of the day, my interest in gaming has decreased mainly due to me growing up and having more important things to spend my money on, and only been able to afford the titles that I really want, or picking a game up from the Bargain Bin, when no-one else is playing it.

I will always stand by the fact that, personally, it seems as the graphical power increases, it seems more companies are decreasing the fun in games to try and re-create something too realistic, seeing a massive decrease in imagination. The graphics of a game have rarely ever played a part in the enjoyment I receive from a game, so it's a shame to see this happening.

As I said though, if money was no issue, I'd probably still have a huge interest in gaming. There have been plenty of games coming out these past few years that I think are great, and show that gaming is still progressing...just with a few niggles here and there.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

i was excited for red dead redemption, LA Noire, although that was a bit of a let down game play wise. Battlefield 3, Heavy Rain- also a let down. GTA IV, also a let down in my view. now im excited for GTA V. and agent if it will exist this gen.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm floored by Red Dead Red, it's the best game experience for what GTA aspires to, and for what Rockstar Games expires to, but Uncharted is my fave non-Rockstar game, and I like them for the same reasons in many ways!

Redketman
  • Redketman

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I am starting to getting less excited too. Maybe this is my last year as a video game fan? The only games I am looking forward to are GTA V, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD and Pokmon Black 2. But the level of video game hype is much less than one or two years ago. My situation is a little bit different though. It's the eight generation of video gaming I'm not so much excited about.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

It might be because there are less big titles this year and even less by Rockstar, which makes every GTAForumer go: "There are no games this year, because we won't look beyond GTAforums!"

It's the same debate as the "nowadays all music is sh*t" in my opinion.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 18:20)
It might be because there are less big titles this year and even less by Rockstar, which makes every GTAForumer go: "There are no games this year, because we won't look beyond GTAforums!"

It's the same debate as the "nowadays all music is sh*t" in my opinion.

This right here. It's like people hating on mainstream music as if mainstream music is the only source of music ever.

There are other great games out there to be excited about, it's just that you're afraid of branching out your horizons. I remembered I was a bit put off with the first Call Of Duty when my brother told me about the game, but once I played it, I absolutely loved it!

This current-gen has seen it's fair share of classics. You just need to know what are they.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

People have gotten used to wacky videogames with cartoony and polygony graphics.
Now videogames have rich story lines, some even richer than famous movies. And the graphics are getting close to what we see in life.

So I can assume you're feeling what you're feeling. But you should really get used to it and appriciate a good game for what it gives you.

thebestgameever
  • thebestgameever

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

My problem is that many ( except Rockstar) developers have decided to change certain games to make them more accessible, easier, more linear and more about either graphics or gameplay, without there being a good balance.
The only games i will defiantly buy this year is Sleeping dogs and far cry 3( only SP, MP just looks crap and a clone of COD).

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:26 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 15 April 2012 - 12:31 PM.

I've only be excited for a few games. They tend to disappoint in some way. Usually because of all this DLC crap and Ultimate Uber versions. I remember the time when I could buy a game and I knew I was getting the full content. Now I don't, and I feel cheated.

So I buy most games a full year after they've been released in order to get every piece of content. And by the time that happens someone had spoiled the game for me. I can't afford to pre-order games as a PC gamer very often because most games are sh*tty console ports and you can't refund a PC game if it turns out to be a mess like GTA IV. I made that mistake once and never again.

And not to mention how most games are made for retarded people and kids. There's a lot of hand holding in most games today. And a lot of effort is put into making a more streamlined (dumbed down) experience and a more "cinematic" experience. f*ck cinematic experience. We have movies for that you stupid c*nts.

For example, 99% of shooters out there aren't worth looking at. They all strive to be like the worst game in the industry - CoD.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

no issues for me at all. till this day i always buy 3 to 4 new games per month

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'm 27 and I'm always excited for a new game. I think a lot of people's interests are constantly changing, especially during adolescence. So if it's been 5-10 years since you've been excited for new games, maybe you're just not interested anymore.

And that, feeling that you prefer older games is nostalgia. Like how you love old movies, that are pretty sh*tty, but you like it because you watched it when you were a child, and it reminds you on a subconscious level of that time.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Haven't played many games recently due to life being a c*nt but I'm pretty stoked for Max Payne 3. Also, since I'm the biggest f*cking Alien fan ever, Aliens: Colonial Marines is definitely something I'm waiting for (please don't f*ck it up Gearbox).

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 23:26)
And not to mention how most games are made for retarded people and kids. There's a lot of hand holding in most games today. And a lot of effort is put into making a more streamlined (dumbed down) experience and a more "cinematic" experience. f*ck cinematic experience. We have movies for that you stupid c*nts.

Yes this! I don't think the cinematic experience is necessarily bad but the hand holding is.
90% of games are no longer a challenge, IV for example, if you failed a mission they made it easier What The f*ck??? There is absolutely 0 Purpose in that, its f*cking pathetic and you can make the game an easier difficulty without starting over.

I love Uncharted, especially uncharted 1, that game was challenging and didn't hand hold too much, there were some puzzles in that that were actually difficult.
Uncharted 3 has let me down a little bit, they have made everything cut-out for you, there is no looking for handholds or trying to work out a difficult puzzle, the side characters go stand around where you need to go and the say things like 'Oh whats this over here?'

I play a game for fun and for a challenge, not to get told and prompted into exactly what i need to do.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Only games i can say i have been excited for this gen are Fight night champion (Because i love boxing) and pretty much all Rockstar titles. That's it.

Games like battlefield and stuff are good, but i can take them or leave them. Dont get hyped one bit.

Butters 2011
  • Butters 2011

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 23:09)
QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 23:26)

Yes this! I don't think the cinematic experience is necessarily bad but the hand holding is.
90% of games are no longer a challenge, IV for example, if you failed a mission they made it easier What The f*ck??? There is absolutely 0 Purpose in that, its f*cking pathetic and you can make the game an easier difficulty without starting over.

Yes, but the problem with this is that games are branching out to a much wider audience these days, and have to be able to adapt to all levels of gamers. I've never been one of those gamers that wishes to be pushed too hard, but that doesn't mean I want an easy game that tells me what to do and how, and this is the part of the post I agree with. I remember playing through certain games, such as Zelda and whatnot, and some challenges would take me around half an hour or more, simply because I couldn't work out what I had to do to complete the current task/puzzle...but these days it seems all games want to tell us how to do everything and provide as many hints as possible. This is my point, I want a game that makes me have to actually do some thinking, and there's a massive lack of that within the market these days.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

I haven't been excited about anything in particular since RDR. Priorities change.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:00 AM Edited by kudoboi, 16 April 2012 - 10:17 AM.

idk about u guys but this yr fr me is a awesome year for games
games im excited for:
gta V( if it comes out this yr)
MP3
AC3
FC3
Borderlands 2
sleeping dogs
prototype 2
CS:Go( if it comes out this yr)
bioshock: infinite
dirt showdown
darksiders 2
diablo 3
dota 2
tom clancy: future soldier
MOH warfighter
fallout online
arma 3
amnesia: a machine for pigs
orcs must die 2
and these are the games that i only plan on pre ordering/ buying on day 1
there might be other games i might buy as well

and so far the games ive purchased this yr was
dota 2 beta (used tf2 keys)
csgo beta ( used 4 dota 2 copies)
max payne 3( steam pre order)
mass effect 3( collector edition pre order on PC origin)
KOA:R ( bought it on steam)
jagged alliance: back in action( steam pre order)
sniper ghost warrior 2 ( steam pre order)
nexuiz ( bought it for xbox 360, pre ordered for PC via steam)
sniper elite v2 ( steam pre order)
ridge racer: unbounded ( bought it on 2nd day)
shoot many robots ( bought it on xbox )
alan wake: american nightmare ( bought it on xbox)
dear esther ( steam pre order)
darkness 2 ( bought day 1 on xbox)
gotham city imposters ( bought a week after release on xbox)
shank 2 ( steam)
QUBE( steam)

games im playing right now:
tf2, css, csgo beta, l4d2 custom maps, gta 4 MP, gta eflc MP, dota 2 beta, max payne 1( plan on completing MP1 and MP2 before MP3 is released on PC), halo CE anniversary, mass effect 3 MP, ghost recon online beta, gotham city imposters, bf3 MP ,mw3 MP, sniper ghost warrior ( plan on completing before sniper ghost warrior 2), alittle bit of skyrim

so for me, im far from being bored.. i enjoyed every single game on that list.. hopefully next year would be just as good

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Not much outside of R* has me excited except ACIII. I have a feeling GTA V will make me feel like a kid again. ph34r.gif

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 13:59)
Not much outside of R* has me excited except ACIII. I have a feeling GTA V will make me feel like a kid again. ph34r.gif

Just seeing that trailer announcement on their website made me feel like a kid again. And it reminded me why I joined this forum in the first place. It's not a feeling any other game can duplicate.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I loved PS1 and PS2 era games but i found bunch of good games on this on gen like GTA4,RDR,Driver SF,Mass Effect,Uncharted, and Assassins creed series,Fallout 3 and NV,Heavy Rain,COD4,Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 2,Infamous 1 and 2,SR2,Mirrors Edge and MGS 4.But it does getting more annoying with DLCs and DRM so who knows what would be in few years with Onlive and discarding of phisical media,so only future will tell us more.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

I share your apathy and let me tell you exactly what the problem is: Sci-Fi.
That's right. Sci-Fi. Science Fiction. Every Goddamn game has to be about aliens or big robots or lasers, I hate it. Back in the old days we had some amazingly surrealist titles that trounced the alien bullsh*t every time.
Akuji The Heartless, Grim Fandango, Sanitarium.
So many good games which tackled the fantasy genre in ways which were original and entertaining. Nowadays we get far too many first person shooters and Sci-Fi games, they've become trite, dull little things. It's not about 'growing out' of games, I can't see that happening. It's about the market being plagued by the same game being released again and again. Evil aliens, big guns, shoot, kill, repeat.
They just need to stop it.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 13:36)
That's right. Sci-Fi. Science Fiction. Every Goddamn game has to be about aliens or big robots or lasers, I hate it. Back in the old days we had some amazingly surrealist titles that trounced the alien bullsh*t every time.
So many good games which tackled the fantasy genre in ways which were original and entertaining. Nowadays we get far too many first person shooters and Sci-Fi games, they've become trite, dull little things. It's not about 'growing out' of games, I can't see that happening. It's about the market being plagued by the same game being released again and again. Evil aliens, big guns, shoot, kill, repeat.

Nail on the head, imo.

The innovation and creativity bubble has been decreasing steadily over the past couple of years. We've already played and experienced games when they were new and had an exciting feel to them. There's a reason why games from the early / late 90's & early 2000's were so memorable, because they were fresh and spawned or started new ideas.

Now, however, we've mostly done the rounds. Everything has pretty much been done, or copied, in one form or another. Most games look and feel similar, and have the same "go to point a, then to point b while killing everyone in between, do a few things, return to point a", so on and so forth.

Now that video games have become incredibly more mainstream and popular, we have developers looking to make a quick buck rather than sit down and create the next mindblownig game, and set a new standard or precedent on what is acceptable in modern video games. Which is also why the indie scene is getting a lot more popular, they encourage fresh and new ideas.

LA Noire I thought was also great. It did what many games don't consider doing. And while it wasn't necessarily the best game ever made, it definitely has new interesting ideas and concepts that has a lot of potential for improvement.

Butters 2011
  • Butters 2011

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 22:55)

Nail on the head, imo.

The innovation and creativity bubble has been decreasing steadily over the past couple of years. We've already played and experienced games when they were new and had an exciting feel to them. There's a reason why games from the early / late 90's & early 2000's were so memorable, because they were fresh and spawned or started new ideas.

Now, however, we've mostly done the rounds. Everything has pretty much been done, or copied, in one form or another. Most games look and feel similar, and have the same "go to point a, then to point b while killing everyone in between, do a few things, return to point a", so on and so forth.

Now that video games have become incredibly more mainstream and popular, we have developers looking to make a quick buck rather than sit down and create the next mindblownig game, and set a new standard or precedent on what is acceptable in modern video games. Which is also why the indie scene is getting a lot more popular, they encourage fresh and new ideas.

LA Noire I thought was also great. It did what many games don't consider doing. And while it wasn't necessarily the best game ever made, it definitely has new interesting ideas and concepts that has a lot of potential for improvement.

Both of you are bang on.

Just been having a conversation with my brother-in-law about people who still play old games, but I'm one of those gamers that still enjoys playing through the older games, simply because you find that they had more originality involved in them, and thus resulted in a lot more fun been had.

FPS games are the main culprits for where the market is getting repetitive now, but I'm hypocritical in this comment, because I'm one of those who continues to buy each new game in the series, even though I know it's just a matter of running through a level, doing a small task, then running to the end of the level. This is the main reason I've been waiting for a Timesplitters update, simply because of how much fun was had in that game, especially the MP aspect, which would totally own the MP base.

The worst thing is, the games that occupy the top 10 these days are always the ones that are just a yearly update on the one before, and it seems companies are so scared of trying something new. Take a look at Alan Wake, which has been moved to the DLC market for the new release...

This is where my support for DLC comes in. I read an article in a magazine that stated how much pressure is on companies these days to produce their sequels, and with all the updates that we have seen with this generation, it tends to be that they concentrate on getting the graphics as top-notch, rather than concentrating on what's in the game, and the gamer themself.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

I actually don't mind sc-fi. Not when it's done right. I love sci-fi. It can offer a lot more than realistic games. In the right hands of course. The problem is, because of that freedom, because you can do anything you want with sci-fi, a lot of people just make sci-fi games because they can put in whatever bullsh*t they want.
Sci-fi should be the best source of innovation, yet it's filled with mostly stupid games.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 17:32)
QUOTE (The Killa @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 22:55)

Nail on the head, imo.

Both of you are bang on.

Just been having a conversation with my brother-in-law about people who still play old games, but I'm one of those gamers that still enjoys playing through the older games, simply because you find that they had more originality involved in them, and thus resulted in a lot more fun been had.

Ah of course. Remember loading up GTAIII for the first time and being absolutely awestruck by the massive city to run around and explore in? The sky was the limit (or however far you could get the Dodo wink.gif ). We'll probably never get those same feelings again, because it's the standard now. Sure, other games at GTAIII's time did the similar things as well, but GTAIII took that big step forward. It changed video games.

I really can't see where that next big innovative step is going to come from.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 23:35)
I actually don't mind sc-fi. Not when it's done right. I love sci-fi. It can offer a lot more than realistic games. In the right hands of course. The problem is, because of that freedom, because you can do anything you want with sci-fi, a lot of people just make sci-fi games because they can put in whatever bullsh*t they want.
Sci-fi should be the best source of innovation, yet it's filled with mostly stupid games.

I still think surrealism is far more interesting. You have to admit, aliens are boring when you see them over and over again.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:26 AM Edited by Slamman, 17 April 2012 - 06:30 AM.

Open World can easily bore some who think a game is only a game if it's presenting something NON STOP ACTION in effect, but I like what the Open World represents in total 3D feel, and Red Dead Red is the most exciting of the new generation, for a linear game, Uncharted wins on enjoyable gameplay for a 3D linear world that is marvelous to inhabit, I feel a part of the story, the casting is par excellence

The Killa, if you grew up in Apple gaming 80s era, you'd know that GTA III wasn't the first with a big open world to explore, Ultima is one example that predates GTA and was pretty dang popular. Hail, Lord British!

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:29 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 17 April 2012 - 07:32 AM.

GTA IV
Red Dead Redemption
Alan Wake
Street Fighter IV (and it's follow ups)
Mafia II
Mirrors Edge
Bioshock

These are all games I was really anticipating and that delivered the goods. They're keepers that I still own. Of course there's more games from this generation that have been excellent.

I'm probably anticipating GTA V more than any other game this generation though. Mirrors Edge 2 would probably be my most desired game in many years. Though that hasn't officially been announced and I'm concerned that it will be compromised by multi-player or motion control compatibility.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 19:36)

Try out the Darkness II, it's pretty f*cking awesome.

And in all fairness the only two titles that come to my mind when you say shooting aliens is Mass Effect and Dead Space, which were both pretty great.

ZOMBIES HOWEVER.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users