Photo

Block Videos?

4 replies to this topic
KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

This wouldn't usually be an issue for me, but since I'm using a laptop on a crappy wireless connection, I've had this suggestion. A lot of topics these days consist of a lot of videos been posted, and in certain topics, this can average around 30+ videos per page...resulting in me having trouble loading a huge number of topics on here, and means I dread going in many topics now.

Is there any way an option can be added so we can choose not to have these videos load, and instead it replaces it with the title of the video, at the most?

We have the option to not have images load, but having so many videos per page is more annoying on a bad connection.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Youtube videos don't actually buffer when loading the page, only when you press the play button - I'm guessing it's the load on the flash plugin rather than your net connection. If you use Firefox you could try something like Flashblock.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

Could be that, and if this wasn't a shared PC, I'd be able to sort this problem out ASAP, but currently don't have that option. I used to notice it quite a bit on my own PC, in various topics where all people did was post videos...the topic would take forever to load up.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Sorry for the bump/double post, but I don't believe what I was trying to get across was properly explained. Basically, I'm not on about the video itself taking forever to load or anything like that. What I was getting at is the fact that if you're on a slow connection, or have a slow PC, then certain topics on this forum can take an age to load, and have, on multiple occasions, caused the page to crash and not load for me. The most recent topic was one in the Music Section (Movie Soundtracks), which crashed 3 times, then took yet another 5 minutes just to add my reply. This is all because of how many videos have been posted within the topic itself.

What I was getting at was; There is an option for members to be able to not have images, such as signatures and avatars, to show up through an option in the Control Panel. My question/suggestion was, would it be possible to implement some type of feature that would allow members to do the same option with videos, meaning they just wouldn't show up in topics, and maybe just have them as Red X's, or just turn the video itself into a link/text?

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

It would be much easier to just use one of the many available addons that block youtube videos on Firefox.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users