Sleep Paralysis

104 replies to this topic
Lexty.
  • Lexty.

bush knocked down the towers

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

I just only had sleep paralysis a few days ago. Throughout this experience, I wasn't exactly aware of what was taking place.

It started out as a lucid dream but I quickly woke up with sleep paralysis. I then separated from the 'body' and began floating in this never ending void of darkness.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Have experienced this a numerous times but never went searching about it. Thanks OP for letting me know how this happens. It's a tough time for sure.

Wikipedia is frighening. confused.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:47 AM Edited by finn4life, 29 May 2012 - 10:52 AM.

QUOTE (NikoGTA4 @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 22:50)
Well, for me and what I've heard, having a light or sleeping with a light can induce sleep paralysis. Also, a fan noise can also lead to them, since it creates a white noise.

For me, my sleep paralysis would start by a very very fast spinning sensation, some really weird noises like this:

It's quite accurate, expecially at around 1:24, I tend to get these sounds more often.

This is going to sound stupid, but that video is really accurate, i have heard things like the before, and they scare the hell out of me...now the stupid part, i listened to that and it made me remember how god damn scared i was when i started hearing noises (Particularly the first one) and right now my eyes are still wet, it made me cry! Of all things, i have not cried in a long time and that induced it! What the hell!

Exploding head syndrome is a condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).

This noise usually occurs within an hour or two of falling asleep, but is not necessarily the result of a dream and can happen while awake as well. While the sound is perceived as extremely loud, it is usually not accompanied by pain. Attacks appear to change in number over time, with several attacks occurring in a space of days or weeks followed by months of remission. Sufferers often feel a sense of fear and anxiety after an attack, accompanied by elevated heart rate. Attacks are also often accompanied by perceived flashes of light (when perceived on their own, known as a "visual sleep start") or difficulty in breathing. The condition is also known as "auditory sleep starts". It is not thought to be dangerous, although it is sometimes distressing to experience. Sufferers may experience an inability to vocalize any sound, or mild forms of sleep paralysis during an attack.

Wiki

I have had this too, a very very loud bang kind of like a gunshot it is very scary too, i hate it i hate it!

These sleep things are the worst because it is all in your head, and it feels so very real.
----
On a lighter note (since this topic is dream related) the other morning i went to bed at 2ish and woke up at 7:30, hours before my alarm, i set my alarm for 5 minutes later i figured i might as well get up and i was having this really fun really real dream and i continuously hit the snooze button (5 Mins each), each time i woke up the dream was still fresh in my mind and i could easily continue it as i fell back to sleep, i did this until about 9:30, so about two hours of dreaming, it was kind of lucid in that i had some control over what i said and where i went.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Tuesday, May 29 2012, 05:47)
These sleep things are the worst because it is all in your head, and it feels so very real.

I try to calm my mind in such situations but really wtf, it doesn't listen, it just feels. cry.gif

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Almost had it last night. I laid there without moving for twenty or so minutes, and my mind began too wonder. Eventually, I started seeing strange images appearing in the darkness of my closed eyes. I began to panic, because a time it happened before, there was a voice talking to me. After a while now, my limbs went all numb and a vibration (felt like electricity) struck my thigh. It began to move from my left thigh, to my right and slowly down my legs then up to my chest. A this point, I had an extreme urge to roll over and the sheets were getting hot so I rolled over. That urge is what stops it from happening.

Setting my alarm for 12:30AM, hopefully just before I enter NREM.

AesopRocks
  • AesopRocks

- - - Cut Here - - -

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I've never been able to successfully have a lucid dream, but I regularly try to at least fall into sleep paralysis; to which I fail that too. My body always feels the need to move, everything feels so much more weighted. If my legs are crossed, I always feel like the leg on-top is stopping the blood flow to my other leg. If one of my feet is touching the bed covers, in-time, I feel like the cover is literally crushing my foot. I also feel incredibly hot sometimes, and have to hang my leg out of the bed or put my arms out into the open as opposed to under the covers. After moving a few times, I give up trying and simply allow myself to fall to sleep.

The other night though, whilst I wasn't necessarily paralyzed or lucid dreaming, I had the feeling that I was falling at great speed. You know those brief dreams/moments where you instantly jerk up in shock. That's exactly what I had, except it felt a little longer. It was almost as if there was a quick moment prior to actually having the fall-shock, almost as if I was truly there. Another odd thing, is that I had it twice in quick succession. It didn't happen just the once, I simply lied there completely still, and it happened a good 30 seconds to a minute later. I'm not entirely sure if I was even genuinely awake, I felt as if I had a consciousness in another realm, living two lives at once.

I hope to have sleep paralysis/a lucid dream soon. I really can't be bothered to do all these tricks, such as waking yourself up periodically with an alarm clock. I'd rather just lie there and hopefully something'll happen.

@Coat: Do you play The War Z by any chance? I remember seeing another player called Coat in the chat, after killing this guy with a hammer.

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I had it again a couple of weeks ago but it was scarier than usual considering I haven't had it for a while now, I woke up and felt my ribs compressing like somebody kneeling on them and forcing their weight down on me, then I could hear noises coming from downstairs and saw shadows in my room.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Scary.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

After reading all this sh*t, I don't think I'll be sleeping well tonight.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I get bouts of sleep paralysis every few months. Actually got it the other day. I find it happens more often when I fall asleep on my back. It's terrifying. I used to panic but now I just wait for it to pass.
Such a horrible feeling, being glued to the spot. Especially when I was in bed next to my ex, my hands trying to push through to grab or nudge her so she'd wake me up. Although I imagine that'd be worse if anyone was touching me when I'm completely paralysed.
I've seen the demons and sh*t and on occasion even had it sitting on my chest, although I found solace in knowing it's not that uncommon. It's f*cked up though, like a gargoyle with red eyes glaring at me.

I lucid dream almost all the time, I don't really need to make an effort or perform any rituals before bed to get it.

QUOTE (AesopRocks)
I've never been able to successfully have a lucid dream, but I regularly try to at least fall into sleep paralysis; to which I fail that too.

Why the f*ck are you trying to have sleep paralysis? You're mad mate.

AesopRocks
  • AesopRocks

- - - Cut Here - - -

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I suppose it's to do with exploring the unknown. I've never had it, so I'd at least like to experience it once; regardless of how terrifying it may be.

Buddhist Monks have been doing it for hundreds of years, they call it dream yoga. I just think it'd be fascinating to explore what you could essentially call a self-high, the ability to be aware in the dream-state. The ability to potentially carve your own dreams out of something completely natural, sleeping. Admittedly people would argue that you're not technically asleep, but regardless, I'd love to do it.

It doesn't necessarily result in being scary, does it? I suppose there's a possibility you 'may' see bad things, but it's not set in stone. Though to be quite honest, I'd still be intrigued to do it even if it's the most terrifying experience imaginable.

Tonight, I'm just going to lie there and see what happens. I'll likely fall to sleep, but I'll do my best not to.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'd like to experience it once.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (AesopRocks @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 12:20)
It doesn't necessarily result in being scary, does it? I suppose there's a possibility you 'may' see bad things, but it's not set in stone. Though to be quite honest, I'd still be intrigued to do it even if it's the most terrifying experience imaginable.

Even without seeing anything, it's still a scary thing waking up unable to move a muscle, helpless, almost suffocating.
I think you're bundling together and confusing lucid dreaming with sleep paralysis. They are very different experiences. Lucid dreams are typically not any more terrifying than your regular dreams. I only mentioned it because it's been referred to in the topic a few times.

roebuck34
  • roebuck34

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

i have it every time i sleep i started getting it when i was 10 when i was 15 it was gone but now i take a pill that makes me have it i want to stop taking it but with out it i cant walk i have a severly musealer deseas

if you get sleep paralysis in a car/train/boat or airplane OHH boy your in for a bad time when i got it in a car i was sitting "shotgun" and fell a sleep and i got it what happend was f*cking creepy i saw hundreds of slendermens basicly tall men with no face and a suit laughing at me then they stoped and BWHAM a train hits the side of the car my friend dies and as im in sleep paralysis i cant move and i want to move for dear life i get sucked under the train and splat.

all that was left of me was a red bits of meat over the train tracks.

another time i feel asleep in an airplane (a 747-400) and i get it again i start to see every one in the airplane raise up and scream and i hear BOOM an engine is blown off and hits the airplane and it breaks the back of it off i fly out of it and start to fall and i just scream i can only hear hmm very quietly then weird sh*t starts to happen again an woman a naked woman that can fly picks me upp and fly me too the moon and im there on the moon i see neil armstrongs foot prints buzz aldrings the lander and every thing and we start flying again this time to marsh i can see the rovers and i stand infront of one and it starts tacking pictures of me and moves around me and swoosh off again this time to veenus.

i can see volcanus some lava alot of weird figures slendermen like creatures but they look like dogs more then human and off again too Mercury and i look at my arm its startening to get black and woosh off to jupiter not much there really just some weird things on the moons cars, trains, houses and boats then i wake up

also sorry for the spelling im dyslexic cryani.gif and for the wall of text i just like to share my experience with others who have sleep paralysis.

AesopRocks
  • AesopRocks

- - - Cut Here - - -

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

But don't you experience lucid dreams as a result of sleep paralysis?

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Nah not particularly. Sleep paralysis is literally just waking up unable to move. You can hallucinate and be in a somewhat dream like state as it happens, but there's no freedom, unlike a lucid dream.

AesopRocks
  • AesopRocks

- - - Cut Here - - -

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Are you able to drift into sleep paralysis if you stay still for long enough whilst forcing yourself to stay at least on some level, awake?

Hitman843
  • Hitman843

Hitman

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (GTAIndonesia @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 12:27)

Trust me, it's not a fun experience. Happened to me only once, and I still dread that day.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:55 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 13 December 2012 - 02:58 PM.

QUOTE (Hitman843 @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 14:23)

Trust me, it's not a fun experience. Happened to me only once, and I still dread that day.

It's like somebody has drugged you with a powerful hallucinogen and you're being taunted by evil demons that shout at you and hit you and the walls and ceiling are falling down on you or something. All the while you're paralysed but kicking and screaming on the inside. I kid you not you will try and call for your mum. It's weird.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (AesopRocks @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 14:06)
Are you able to drift into sleep paralysis if you stay still for long enough whilst forcing yourself to stay at least on some level, awake?

Maybe, it's never happened to me though.
If you're trying to lucid dream I understand there are easier ways of doing it and you don't have to get involved with sleep paralysis.

Hitman843
  • Hitman843

Hitman

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:38 PM Edited by Hitman843, 13 December 2012 - 03:40 PM.

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 14:55)

It's like somebody has drugged you with a powerful hallucinogen and you're being taunted by evil demons that shout at you and hit you and the walls and ceiling are falling down on you or something. All the while you're paralysed but kicking and screaming on the inside. I kid you not you will try and call for your mum. It's weird.

It varies though. I couldn't move, I was breathing very hard, I couldn't speak. But I felt something behind me, something unnatural. It lasted like 2 minutes, and I fell asleep again. I was afraid going to sleep for like a week.

Something like this. Same position I was sleeping, and I felt something behind me. That guy sure looks like a living nightmare.
user posted image

H.I.M.
  • H.I.M.

☻The Steaked MC. ☺

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

That might sometimes be your astral body..

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Even without seeing anything, it's still a scary thing waking up unable to move a muscle, helpless, almost suffocating.

You aren't suffocating, actually. Your breathing lowers slightly when you are paralyzed and it may give the sensation of suffocating which causes you to panic. It is true though, that you can't move your muscles.

I think you're bundling together and confusing lucid dreaming with sleep paralysis.

Lucid dreaming is become conscious of what's happening in the dream and taking control. Sleep paralysis is waking up during REM (deep sleep state) and being paralyzed because your body locks itself in every night before REM (NREM).

But don't you experience lucid dreams as a result of sleep paralysis?

Only if you want it to happen. I have had SP before, and in result, I have levitated, rolled and floated out of my body (not really floating out, but you are leaving your mind, to say). An out of body is basically a lucid dream, except with a few exceptions. An OOBE is forcing yourself into the experience, when a lucid dream is become aware in the dream. An OOBE is slightly more 'powerful'.

To do this, relate to this post.

You need to know it's not 'lucid dreaming'. Entering sleep paralysis and wanting to have a LD is going to end with either, you imagining a scene and you appear there, while still half awake and half asleep (borderline) and then using it from there. That isn't a real sleep paralysis experience.

---

I was awakened at an early hour of the morning, around 5AM... to fall back to sleep. A new cycle of NREM started up, which has intervals of 1 to 2 hours. I then woke up from talking in the kitchen, which was around 8AM. I was paralyzed from head to toe, and I was very scared. I still remember this experience vividly. I would try to open my eyes, but they felt like they were being forced back down. My vision was very low any way - blurry. I tried to move, but nothing worked. I tried to call out for help but my vocals were also paralyzed.

I just decided to let it happened, and I rolled out of my bed and my third eye opened. I was laying beside my bed, and I floated all the way to the ceiling. I leaped out for the window but I was forced back into my bedroom.

---

You can see in that experience, it wasn't a lucid dream. This is the very first lucid dream I had.

---

I was staring down at a creek, through a pine forest. It was damp, and the sky was muggy. As I was staring at the lake, I asked myself, "Am I dreaming," and then it happened - I became aware I was dreaming. I turned around to see a few mates. They leaped into the air, as I did as well, and sailed above the canopy - staring down at the forest. We landed again, and I wanted to take this to advantage. I held out my hand and wanted a jelly bean (sounds stupid, but I did it), and a yellow jelly bean appeared in my palm.

I hate yellow jelly beans, and I thought again for another. This time, a red one appeared and I ate it. It tasted like a real jelly bean!

---

You can see the differences between the two- as they are not the same. Some that have sleep paralysis, it changes their perspective on it in a bad way (they go into the astral with negative thoughts), but the ones who are prepared, it can be an amazing experience.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I usually experience this at night without much noise going on. But yesterday it happened when I had my window open and outside was heavy traffic, the result was the loudest combination of sounds I have ever experienced.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I've had the exact same thing happen to me since I was about four years old. It's happened very rarely since I was 10, but was common before then and reached it's pear when I was sex-eight years old. It's the oddest thing and until I was this thread a very short time ago I didn't know how to explain it nor did I bother telling anyone about it. I know night terrors are common in little kids, but I never knew how to go about explaining this.

For me, it's happened in the following way:

*I wake up feeling immobilized even with the fan or stereo running in the background.
*I temporarily lose the ability to speak or make any vocalizations, which it turns out is very frequently reported.
*I get the sensation that I've died in my sleep and that my soul is ascending vertically into Heaven or Purgatory, although I never see any light as my room is pitch black and I have no further hallucinations, although not once did it ever apply to me that I had died.

As I said, it's happened to me very rarely since I was ten years old and nothing bad ever results of it, after all, it's just a dream and I never felt the sensation of struggling to breathe.

It last happened to me a few months ago. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent it if any methods exist? It's very annoying whenever it happens and pretty much forces me to wake up and do something through the rest of the night like go on the computer and visit your's truly. I'm glad that a diagnosis exists. It never applied to me that I was insane or that I even "had my very own disease" a la Lou Gehrig, it was just one of those things that make you think that there's something very strange about you that you don't want people to know about out of fear of something big happening (like admission to a mental hospital).

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:08 PM Edited by Celticfang, 15 December 2012 - 10:12 PM.

God f*cking damn it.

I figured I was the only one who blanked out for a while and felt choked. Now I may have a clue what it is. Thanks a bunch OP for scaring me more.

I tend to just feel myself wandering around other places though. Now I know that's not normal...

EDIT: Okay, I am so tired right now that I'll sleep whenever, but I can either see exactly where my friends are or what they're up to (which....I am not BSing about), or just have these weird as hell nightmares

DestaliusDark
  • DestaliusDark

Funky Jazz

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

I had one when i was around the age of 9
It was something so scary, but something so interesting, that maybe i wouldn't mind having it again.

I remember i woke up, wondering if i was dreaming or what was happening.
I suddenly felt really scared, like something was running towards me.
I remember i suddenly had a feeling like something was eating my legs, it felt so real and scary, and i had no way of stopping it.

Luckily it was pretty short and i woke up very frightened and exhausted.
I think it's because i used to be able to Lucid dream very fast and early, i was able to have adventures in my dreams, no clue.

It was interesting tounge.gif

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

To be accepted in the community you have to be blind

• Members

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:41 PM Edited by Xylophobia, 19 March 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Bumping this. Happened to me actually, not sure if it is related to SP or LD, but after taking drugs almost two years ago, I've dreamt several weeks after that, exactly a similar situation. The time was altered, the visual sigh exactly the same as when I was on drugs and my brain was hurting. When I woke up, I heard a high sound in my ears, not from outside. Not sure how to describe it, something like when you're falling unconsciously in video games. I don't know what the f*ck happened, but it has never occurred to me before.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Hitman843 @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 18:38)
QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 14:55)

It varies though. I couldn't move, I was breathing very hard, I couldn't speak. But I felt something behind me, something unnatural. It lasted like 2 minutes, and I fell asleep again. I was afraid going to sleep for like a week.

Something like this. Same position I was sleeping, and I felt something behind me. That guy sure looks like a living nightmare.
user posted image

Dude, that's what I saw when I was a kid. Only the shape was standing up and it felt like it was grinning. I was facing it too, I wasn't sure for a while what that was, but wasn't scared, few seconds later my blood just started pumping and I was ready to scream.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users