Photo

Sleep Paralysis

104 replies to this topic
DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I used to force sleep paralysis on my self because it was so damn interesting (and terrifying). I havent had it in a while but I used to get the full works with visions

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Quite a funny story. I'd read this topic earlier in the evening before going to sleep. Little did I know that it would decide to jump on me at least 4 times last night. I've not had it in about a year so I totally forgot what it felt like. In the end I had to sleep with my lamp on since it usually stops me from ending up in another episode.

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well, for me and what I've heard, having a light or sleeping with a light can induce sleep paralysis. Also, a fan noise can also lead to them, since it creates a white noise.

For me, my sleep paralysis would start by a very very fast spinning sensation, some really weird noises like this:

It's quite accurate, expecially at around 1:24, I tend to get these sounds more often.

Oh and also this one:

The walkie talkie sound happens to me also.

autotheftisgrand
  • autotheftisgrand

Fries optional

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Had that a few months ago. At first I thought "So this is sleep paralysis, cool" then I had trouble breathing so I woke up. No hallucinations or apparitions popping up or anything, just a view of my room. I did have a "somebody's sucking up my soul" sensation though.

Bruceafc
  • Bruceafc

UbeenFrimponed

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Ive had this before once or twice, its scary as hell.Basically i woke up feeling massive pressure on my head on chest.I tried to move but i was unable to, it lasted for a bout 2-3 seconds after i woke up.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 11:00)
Quite a funny story. I'd read this topic earlier in the evening before going to sleep. Little did I know that it would decide to jump on me at least 4 times last night. I've not had it in about a year so I totally forgot what it felt like. In the end I had to sleep with my lamp on since it usually stops me from ending up in another episode.

haha, That's exactly what I do when I get it more than once as well.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

My mate had sleep paralysis, he described being consciously half asleep and unable to move, while he hallucinated / dreamt dark figures at the end of his bed, which gradually got closer and closer, sounded f*cked up to me. He said it was the most frightening thing in his life. No longer speak to him now though. I remember he would avoid going to sleep for as long as possible. Literally stay up and do sh*t or listen to music until he couldn't help but doze off.

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I never really experienced " sleeping Paralysis" but is it a problem Or its nothing to worried about?

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 15:33)
I never really experienced " sleeping Paralysis" but is it a problem Or its nothing to worried about?

i would say its nothing to worry about, but my mate developed it randomly at the age of like 20. Not sure what triggers it or if it just lays dormant until the day it triggers. My knowledge of it is very limited. i personally never heard of it until my mate got it a few years back.

But yeah im not worrying about it, you shouldnt either.

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I think this series of videos on youtube tells you pretty much everything you need to know about sleep paralysis. It definitely enlightened me to other aspects of sleep paralyis that I had never previously thought about:

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Hell No.. @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 19:48)
Can anyone relate to this? It's scary as hell, and really f*cking up my sleeping. Might have to go to the doctor. Reminds me of the 2007 film 'Awake'

A Sleep Paralysis is possibly a hereditary disorder in which one experiences very frightening seconds or minutes of total body paralysis with little respiration and eye movements (1). A victim in this state feels awake, but he cannot move or speak (2). In addition to the immobility, the common symptoms include feeling choked or suffocated, hearing strange noises like footsteps and voices, seeing beings or dark shadows, and feeling an existance of someone in the room (1). Although these symptoms often direct the victims to believe in ghosts, mistransmission of neural signals in the brain causes Sleep Paralysis. When a person sleeps, his brain sends signals to inhibit any muscle contraction (3). If he comes into consciousness before the brain sends signals to activate muscle contraction, he cannot move his body, and consequently, become "paralyzed".

http://serendip.bryn...ode/1740?page=8

Apparently, there are ways to control it when it is happening, but I feel like im dying. confused.gif , not that I know what that feels like, but with the irregular breathing.

I've experienced this multiple times, up to 15-20 times in my lifetime. It's pretty intense, but thankfully it doesn't happen anymore. I connected it to working out (lifting weights) late in the day, 4-5 hours before I go to sleep.

TinTinn
  • TinTinn

Эquation

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

It's actually not that bad, I mean, you can have a rather scary expirence but at the end of the day, it's not real and it's all none physical. People need to respect what the body is going, it is not dangerous either... just let it be.

Brookes100
  • Brookes100

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, i have them now and again first time i was sh*t scared i just got used to them. I've never seen any spirits or weird thing's but i was told my nan woke up paralysed and couldn't talk and heard a drilling noise but started to move seconds after and it stopped.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:45 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 24 May 2012 - 03:53 AM.

I get the strange hallucinations from time to time. Like dark figures and spiders on the roof. That one's the worst, but I do have a strong fear of spiders.

It's the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's not a nice feeling thinking someone or something is in your room when there isn't. sad.gif

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:57 AM

I have this too and it's pretty scary, I know how to deal with it now though and since I've discovered I'm not the only one who suffers from it it's easier to deal with. It's f*cking weird though man, like sometimes I'll wake up and only a certain party of my body will respond to my brain all though I'm pretty much awake. For instance, my right arm might work but the rest of me doesn't and during this time my brain is fully functioning, so I'll precede to slap myself awake or pull my eyes open to get out of it. Sometimes during this phase I feel weird sensations like the room vibrating or shadow figures moving around, I can understand how in earlier times people would have misinterpreted this as some sort of spiritual event. Luckily it only happens like once a month but it still sucks.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Thursday, May 24 2012, 14:57)
I have this too and it's pretty scary, I know how to deal with it now though and since I've discovered I'm not the only one who suffers from it it's easier to deal with. It's f*cking weird though man, like sometimes I'll wake up and only a certain party of my body will respond to my brain all though I'm pretty much awake. For instance, my right arm might work but the rest of me doesn't and during this time my brain is fully functioning, so I'll precede to slap myself awake or pull my eyes open to get out of it. Sometimes during this phase I feel weird sensations like the room vibrating or shadow figures moving around, I can understand how in earlier times people would have misinterpreted this as some sort of spiritual event. Luckily it only happens like once a month but it still sucks.

I guess it's hard for most to understand unless they've experienced it themselves. I only suffer from hallucinations, but never felt as if I was dying.

I'm also a sleep walker (though not as much now).

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Thursday, May 24 2012, 01:03)

I guess it's hard for most to understand unless they've experienced it themselves. I only suffer from hallucinations, but never felt as if I was dying.

God damned I never had the hallucinations. I do feel like dying a few times.
I said this in another thread, but a few weeks ago I had paralysis again and I couldn't breathe until I woke up. As soon as I got relaxed again, I would get the same thing again. Tried 4 or 5 times and all of them didn't let me breathe.

I finally decided to completly wake up, walk around and go back to sleep. Didn't have paralysis again that night.

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

Only Fear God. smile.gif

Ephesians 6:12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE (IM_YOUR_GOD @ Thursday, May 24 2012, 01:13)
Only Fear God. smile.gif

Ephesians 6:12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms

We don't need your offtopic bullsh*t in this thread.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

Religious deities sure are cruel eh?

Anyway, seeing as how this topic has resurfaced I figured I would post an update on my sleeping issues. Basically my sleep has been getting worse lately. Sleep Paralysis occurs with regularity, and I am ridden with nightmares or visions, along with other phenomena. Anyone know any sleeping tips? It takes me hours to get to sleep after laying down, and once I feel as if I am finally going to submit to slumber, a hypnic jerk will jolt me back awake.

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

All you have to do is well up like you're about to beat the sh*t out of whatever is holding you down. Worked for me.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Has anyone experienced something like this except just with their hearing? I'll leave the tv on sometimes, wake up and lay there and I won't be able to hear it. At first I thought it was just a pause in the action of whatever show it was, but then I've woke up facing the tv, saw people talking, heard nothing and then I was able to hear after a few seconds... Happens every few weeks or so, odd situation.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Thursday, May 24 2012, 02:39)
Has anyone experienced something like this except just with their hearing? I'll leave the tv on sometimes, wake up and lay there and I won't be able to hear it. At first I thought it was just a pause in the action of whatever show it was, but then I've woke up facing the tv, saw people talking, heard nothing and then I was able to hear after a few seconds... Happens every few weeks or so, odd situation.

On very rare occasions I get this, but it's mostly because I'm paying very little attention to it.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Thursday, May 24 2012, 04:03)

I used to think I was dying too man, I had a shortness of breath thing that would happen, it was as if though each breath would be harder to take in than the last while I was going through it and I was convinced I would suffocate. But now that I've read up on it I can somehow remind myself of the reality of what's going on and it becomes much easier to deal with.

geomy
  • geomy

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

Never experienced sleep paralysis, but I do "suffer" from Exploding Head Syndrome

Though it hasn't happened in quite some time...now I'm more into mild insomnia confused.gif

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

A few months ago, I had a bizarre episode of sleep paralysis, except it was different than the few other episodes I've had in my life. Not fully awake, I felt as though something or someone was pushing up through the mattress and pushing me out of my own body. I finally woke up and the feeling of displacement quickly went away. It kinda freaked me out, so I decided to do a little research to figure out what happened. From what I could gather, I experienced the Doppleganger phenomenon supposedly caused by a disturbance in the left temporoparietal junction in the brain.

I'm not really looking forward to having that happen again.

RomansMoobs
  • RomansMoobs

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Is it me or do lucid dreams seems like they last much longer than normal dreams?

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

^^It's because the name says it all. Lucid dream, you are aware of your dream so you live it. Though, with your normal dreams, you "remember" them, you don't conciously live them. And you always forget many parts of your dreams, you just remember the most important things in it.

Like I've already mentionned, sleep paralysis for me can stop for 3 or 4 months and then have experiences everynights for a week or so.

Few weeks ago, I had many of them, but two of them were really special.

The first one didn't last that long, I had a normal sleep paralysis with a buzzing noise, hearing voice, and I am trying to wake myself up. I think I had and out of body experience. I sat on my bed, took a beer bottle and tried to wake myself up by hitting it on my head like an idiot. I finally woke up lying normally in my bed a few seconds later. The thing is that there are really beer bottles on top of my bed since I'm collecting them. That one was weird but funny at the same time. tounge.gif

The second one is the worst that happened in my life. It happened the night later. It was really scary. The sleep paralysis was really violent.
It started pretty quickly, It was mixed with a "Exploding Head Syndrome", suddenly I had a very very intense anxiety feeling, like I was dying. I saw my TV, which was strangely turned on, and the show that was playing was scary. It was a man in a desert who was crazy, talking to invisible people, who had non-sense thinking and was in total delirum. I found that pretty scary so I tried to wake up but the show was becoming scarier and there was a really loud noise in my head, like if I was hearing all the radio stations in the world. Then I woke up, no noise, total silence, TV off, accompanied with a feeling like if someone evil was in my room, I had trouble breating for the rest of the night, my heart was pounding, and as soon as I was starting to sleep, I could feel the sleep paralysis coming back. I finally turned on my TV watched it until I slept without noticing.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

acclimate

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

I think sleep paralysis is caused by stress and lack of sleep. You basically screw up your sleeping pattern; meaning, you lightly wake up in REM dream state.

Antinark
  • Antinark

War is Peace.

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

I used to get this a lot in my late teens. I remember one time I thought I had a seizure because I kept going in and out of paralysis and it sounded like a boiling kettle was going off inside my ears. Another time I remember wasps stinging my face over and over.

I spent quite of bit of time in Newfoundland growing up and it's so common there they have a local name for it, "the old hag" (apparently many people have hallucinated witches taunting them from the foot of their bed). They have a really heavy drinking culture over there and being an economy once based almost entirely on fishing, the men would spend long nights out at sea with little sleep and the stress of navigating the violent waters of the north atlantic. I think a combination of these things has a large part to do with it's prevalence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users