Photo

Sleep Paralysis

104 replies to this topic
Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Can anyone relate to this? It's scary as hell, and really f*cking up my sleeping. Might have to go to the doctor. Reminds me of the 2007 film 'Awake'

A Sleep Paralysis is possibly a hereditary disorder in which one experiences very frightening seconds or minutes of total body paralysis with little respiration and eye movements (1). A victim in this state feels awake, but he cannot move or speak (2). In addition to the immobility, the common symptoms include feeling choked or suffocated, hearing strange noises like footsteps and voices, seeing beings or dark shadows, and feeling an existance of someone in the room (1). Although these symptoms often direct the victims to believe in ghosts, mistransmission of neural signals in the brain causes Sleep Paralysis. When a person sleeps, his brain sends signals to inhibit any muscle contraction (3). If he comes into consciousness before the brain sends signals to activate muscle contraction, he cannot move his body, and consequently, become "paralyzed".

http://serendip.bryn...ode/1740?page=8

Apparently, there are ways to control it when it is happening, but I feel like im dying. confused.gif , not that I know what that feels like, but with the irregular breathing.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Watched Inception today, so I decided to give Lucid Dreaming a go this afternoon once more. Ended up falling asleep but got close; it's something I've always been fascinated in (controlling your dreams) and the most common way to induce them is through deliberate sleep paralysis. But I've never experienced it involuntarily, only when I was on the verge of becoming lucid.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

I only have 2 of these symptons.
the common symptoms include feeling choked or suffocated

and
the victims to believe in ghosts

Am i gonna be paralyzed soon? D:

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

There's a topic on this once every 6 months or so. It's kind of comforting, in a strange way, that's it's more common than I thought.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Same as the above, I get it all the time. These past three weeks though it hasn't happened once! usually it happened Once a week to me, now ever since I'm on break, I've not experienced it. Maybe it's a stress thing. Don't worry dude, unless it happens for like over a minute you should be fine. I remember when i first experienced it I thought I was like dying. Then When it happened over and over again I sort of learned to murmour words. So it would happen and I would just shout out something like "f*ck!" and It would be a sort of muffled voice (Like in one of those movies) then I'd be fine.

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Can it be stress related? I'm finding a few things on it. I've recently finished a 3 month counciling course too.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Try not to stay still for long periods of time. At least move your fingers.

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I've heard of this before and can glady say I've never had it happen to me. Exploding head syndrome is something else I wouldn't like to experience. A lucid dream would be nice though.

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I used to have it almost everynight, but nowadays, it doesn't happen very often. The last time was about a year ago, it was pretty bad, but something funny I found about it is that every time I get sleep paralysis, I get some really weird dreams, after the sleep paralysis is over and when I think that I am really awake but I'm not. I tell the people in my dreams, "I just had a sleep paralysis, this is scary", then I think I wake up again, then a gain, then again, until I wake up for real, really thinking if I am still sleeping or not! That's a weird experience. It happens when I get sleep paralysis in the morning. Those are infact lucid dreams, but I don't realise it at the moment.

Sleep paralysis normally happen if you go to sleep very tired, or if you take a nap. I don't take a nap vey often but when I do, I wake up very confused.

Some other experiences I got twice is my life is something hard to describe. The first time is when I was probably 4 or 5 when I was in my bed, I was having a panick attack probably, having an intense doom feeling pending on me, like if I was harmed by people in my room. I remember screaming "There's violence! There's violence!".

Another time is when didn't sleep some night and decided to sleep in the afternoon. I woke up, I was having the same apocalypse feeling, I was sleepwalking but I was half awake, that's something very hard to describe, I don't know if someone can relate to it.

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I don't buy into the spiritual side of it at all but I've been getting it recently and usually seem to get it when my sleeping pattern is off shcedule. I never thought about it being related to stress though, that's interesting because I have been fairly stressed since aound the same time I started having sleep paralysis again, I'd gone without it for quite a while but now that it's come back it's a lot worse. Waking up paralysed and feeling an impending sense of doom isn't somehting I enjoy, I don't find the hallucinations that scary anymore because I got used to them, they're actually the only part that doesn't freak me out.

EverBlazin
  • EverBlazin

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Never had it and I don't want it. I sleep with the light on as a precaution. It would be less scary to wake up in the light than the dark.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've suffered from just about every sleep disorder you can imagine, exploding head syndrome, hypnic jerk, sleep walking, etc, for my entire life.

I have sleep paralysis regularly, the last time I had it was just two days ago. Luckily I didn't experience any bad visions like I sometimes do. Basically I had laid down to take a nap after my girlfriend let the cat out, once the sleep paralysis kicked in I saw my jump back on the bed, which is when I tried to call out to my girlfriend to figure out why she let the cat back in.

I probably should see a doctor about my sleep issues, I rarely have an uninterrupted nights sleep and it's probably a sign of underlying issues.

I consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to sleep disorders and phenomena, and I experience most of it first hand.

Trevor Phillips Enterprise
  • Trevor Phillips Enterprise

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I get this all the time, sometimes following a lucid dream, sometimes not. It used to freak me out a lot but now I actually think it's pretty cool. If you don't panic and just lie there it seems to go away faster. I often get it when I've been out drinking the night before and I've had hardly any sleep, i've been experiencing sleep paralysis since about early 2011. It's scary when you can feel an entity or something in the room, I had a dream where I ended up in paralysis and it felt like a dog was on me, it was really weird.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Its not something that I've experienced myself. The worst that I've ever had is simply jolting heavily in my sleep as well episodes of sleep walking and talking.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Wreckless Jake @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 17:24)
I get this all the time, sometimes following a lucid dream, sometimes not. It used to freak me out a lot but now I actually think it's pretty cool. If you don't panic and just lie there it seems to go away faster. I often get it when I've been out drinking the night before and I've had hardly any sleep, i've been experiencing sleep paralysis since about early 2011. It's scary when you can feel an entity or something in the room, I had a dream where I ended up in paralysis and it felt like a dog was on me, it was really weird.

I can think of a few times offhand when I opened my eyes during sleep paralysis and witnessed dark figures looming over my bedside, which was followed by an overwhelming sense of dread and terror.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (agent17 @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 09:32)
QUOTE (Wreckless Jake @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 17:24)

I can think of a few times offhand when I opened my eyes during sleep paralysis and witnessed dark figures looming over my bedside, which was followed by an overwhelming sense of dread and terror.

Yeah sucks if your still in a dreamstate when it happens.
It's happened to me on a few occasions, it sucks.

@Niko the exact same thing has happened to me, i wake up like 5 times, it's like inception or something.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

I've experienced it once. Woke up absolutely convinced that my housemates had snuck into my room and jumped on me resulting in not being able to move or breath properly. It lasted maybe only seconds but it shat me up for a bit. It started as a moment of panic when you wake up realising someone else is there and suddenly got worse, which would have been the impact of my housemates landing on me before it eased off.

It's a very odd experience.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Happened 2 times, in the same goddamn night. My brain was hurting like hell after these 2 episodes, I didn't even wanted to sleep anymore.

Sean_R_LFC
  • Sean_R_LFC

We don't need no thought control

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

This has happened to me never

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (Hell No.. @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 20:13)
Can it be stress related? I'm finding a few things on it. I've recently finished a 3 month counciling course too.

Maybe but not necesarily , i studied this kind of things ( i am psychologist in Spain) and is pretty normal. When you are in the rem phase (the more deep) your muscles are "disconnected" of your brain, so if you wake up in the rem phase for any reason, your brain need a bit of time for say to your muscles, "awake guys,this idiot is terrified right now.". Dont worry for this dude wink.gif , i also suffered this sh*t other times.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

I used to have them when I was about seven. They were reacurring dreams while experiencing sleep paralysis. They always started the same. I would become intensly aware that I was awake but something in my room told me not to open my eyes. It was Lady Elaine Fairchilde from Mister Rogers, the creepy old lady doll from his fatansy land. She would speak to me telepathically telling me not to open my eyes and that everything was going to be fine. I would try to move my body but it would not budge. Then she would levitate me up from my bed and out the window up into the sky. I sh*t you not. On one of these occasions I became defiant and opened my eyes to her ugly face right up to mine and she screamed like a banshee. The walls and closet door became like the photonegative images you see after you get film developed. These dreams happened at least four or five times and each one felt like I was awake. This would scare the sh*t out of me when I was a kid. The only other time this has happened to me was last year when a demon/alien hovered over my bed. I couldn't move but somehow managed to lift my arm from out under the covers and give it the middle finger. I was not scared anymore.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

As common as this sounds, I've never experienced this. I've never given this lucid dreaming business a go either - I enjoy my sleep too much to mess with it, and knowing my luck I'd end up having the tables turned on me by my brain halfway through. I read a lot about it however, and some paranormal fans claim it's the influence of "shadow people", with many claiming to share sightings of eyes and what not. Believe what you want, but to me it's just your body being slower than your brain.

FiliGTAFan
  • FiliGTAFan

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Having experienced it quite a few times, I like to think of myself as being used to it by now. It hasn't happened in a long time though and it seems as though it only occurs when my sleeping pattern is messed up and I'm forced to nap for long periods of time. For some reason, I'm actually fascinated by the whole thing and frequently research others' opinions and explanations - many people are convinced it's some sort of supernatural occurrence. However, I've read that anything "supernatural" is most likely related to the way in which your dreams become tangled with your perception. Tbh, the only bad thing is that immense feeling of dread that overcomes me during the episodes - something that is extinguished as soon as I'm able to move.
On the other hand, I've seen lucid dreaming enthusiasts welcome sleep paralysis as some sort of entry into lucid dreaming, astral projection etc. So far, I've had no such luck.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

That's a tasty looking llama you have there...

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

I heard it happens to about 2/5 people, but it seems to happen to the same people quite a few times. I've never experienced it myself, but I've had an uncle who says that he woke up without the ability to move, and the sensation of having someone choking him from behind, he didn't report any hallucinations though.

I've read of two ways to trigger them (Though I'd stay away from screwing with hallucinations that are almost always described as hellish). The first I've mentioned on a thread somewhere here before, and consists of laying back, and clearing your mind of everything except counting slowly to one-hundred, you should begin feeling like you're floating if it works, and if you happen to hate being sane you can open your eyes and watch 'shadow-men', and 'demons' play by your bedside. The other method is depriving yourself of sleep for a while, and falling asleep in an uncomfortable position such as at your desk, or in a chair, although this one sounds horrible to attempt, and I hate everything about it. I've never tried either, but the first method is widely used by lucid dreamers to trigger lucid dreaming, and many report the risk of SP.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

I've experienced Sleep Paralysis twice. Was p f*cked up. The first time I was having this messed up nightmare where some monster was tearing the sheets off my bed and was going to f*ck my sh*t up. Then I was all this is a dream bitch, in this case the bitch would be my brain. So I tried to wake myself up and my brain had the last laugh by giving me a monumental dose of sleep paralysis. Woke up and couldn't move and felt as though I couldn't breathe. Was a p brief episode and has only happened once since.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

I have it from time to time, first ones were pretty f*cked up, but you get used to it. Didn't had any visions though, guess being sane is boring.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

Haven't had sleep paralysis, but I do occasionally have really vivid dreams that feel incredibly real. I had one a couple of nights ago, and I felt so relieved when I woke up. The jist of the dream was that my friend had ran up a charge of 1000 on a game on my phone which you had to pay for by the minute, as some sort of prank. In the dream I felt a huge sense of frustration and annoyance, and a large feeling of powerlessness. Anyways I get into a huge fight with my friend, and end up feeling incredibly embarrassed and a huge sense of humiliation even though considering the circumstances such feelings wouldn't make much sense.

I eventually end up trying to kill myself by throwing myself off a bridge, and it really felt like it was actually happening, like I was actually comitting suicide and had real tears in my eyes. In fact I woke up not long after the suicide attempt and my eyes did have tears in them. It was quite bizarre, I have a dream like that about once every 2 months. Not necessarily the same story, but it's nearly always a strong feeling of shame, embarassment, humiliation and similar feelings and feels incredibly real.

TinTinn
  • TinTinn

Эquation

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:00 AM Edited by TinTinn, 11 April 2012 - 04:06 AM.

I've had sleep paralysis on several occasions, in which two of them I had actually left my body and had an out-of-body-experience. It is actually a normal thing, but we usually never experience it. You see, every night our body performs sleep paralysis, but we never realize it's happening. What happens is that our mind sends signals to our body, giving strong urges for it to move; the body can do two things, it will move because of these urges or it will ignore the strong urges. If you ignore these urges, usually you end up with these two symptoms; hypnogotic imagery and hypnogotic hallucinations.

Hypnogotic imagery gives us to see images in our eyelids and hypnogotic hallucinations is were we hear strange sounds, feelings ect. Usually at the exact same time, you feel vibrations all over the body, usually very strong followed by the feeling of pressure on the chest; like something is sitting on your chest. At this point, you are at the peak of the experience, after that, you will not be able to talk, move or open your eyelids; if you try to talk it will just be moans and if you try to open your eyelids, you may see hallucinations. What you see in sleep paralysis, it is all in your mind, there are no such things as demons or ghosts. The experience can be pleasing as well.

When I had my experiences, I interrupted a sleeping pattern called REM (Rapid-eye-movement) which caused me to automatically awaken with full sleep paralysis. I tried to yell out for help but all I could hear was myself moaning, I tried to open my eyes only to see my door at the end of my bed. I knew what was happening, so I exited/separated out of the physical body. 'Astral' Vision comes to your straight away, it's as if your're imagining it. In another OOBE (out-of-body-experience), I had sleep paralysis, exited the body, I wanted to see how expanded I could use my skills, I thought of visiting my aunts house, I spun around in 360 degrees and saw a transparent brick wall... I was in the 'astral' realm, and I was sitting in my aunts arm chair. It seemed so authentic, because the conversations seemed so real, like reality. I was worried I was going to get stuck in this world, and called for home (my body), I woke up in my bed wondering what just happened.

The experiences are really life changing, and people shouldn't worry about them. They are very normal, but sometimes we come face to face with them, and we mistake them for a supernatural happening. On this topic, I have also had several Lucid Dreams, which are basically the same as OOBE's but you induce them through dream state; DILD, (Dream induced Lucid Dream). When I had my morning sleep paralysis, I induced it by DEILD (Dream Exit Initiated Lucid Dream/OOBE). Lucid Dreams are just the weaker consisnous compared to OOBE or Astral Projection. I have been studying dream patterns, OOBE's and Lucid dreams for a year know and the study is interesting. If you have any questions, trust me, personal message me and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I must say I haven't had any of this lucid dreaming stuff but the only few 'dreams' I've remembered from the past few months have been sleep paralysis type. I've also seemed to have tracked mine down to little dozing sessions on the sofa or on top of the bed, not when I actually plan to fall asleep. My word they are scary though. I'm getting them more and more frequently recently too, to the point where I refuse to have small naps to try boost energy if I'm out for a long night out. I'd rather crash and burn around midnight than risk one of these dreams.

I say dreams but I swear I'm receiving info from my eyes at the time and that they're open. The room is always identical in every way when I finally get up, down to the angle I'm lying at, the room conditions (curtains open or closed, day or night, lights on, TV on etc).

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:10 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 11 April 2012 - 08:14 AM.

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis on a regular basis. It can be very scary. I'd be lying paralysed in my bed as strange voices whispered and shouted in my ear and hit my bed. If I failed to wrestle, shout and kick myself awake it often led to a lucid dream.

At one point this became so regular that I dreaded sleeping. Then it stopped. Either I just grew out of it or the fan I put beside my bed had something to do with it. The sound of the fan seems to help me sleep. It's comforting.

To me sleep paralysis is similar to sleep walking in that you are kind of awake yet asleep at the same time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users