12 replies to this topic
Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hey lads.

The other day some videos on Youtube started showing as a still, green image, sound still intact. It's only some videos, others are fine. I found that if I right-click on the given video, go into Flash Player settings, and uncheck 'use hardware accelleration' or the like, and refresh the page, the video shows properly, although the quality seems to have been degraded some. It's the same in all the browsers I've tried.

I've tried reinstalling flash player, but to no avail. Any ideas?

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

You haven't installed any new software recently? Do other video streaming sites like Vimeo have the same problem?

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 10:39)
You haven't installed any new software recently? Do other video streaming sites like Vimeo have the same problem?

It's the same no matter what site I use, but as I said, only certain formats, so it's a bit difficult to get it consistantly. It seems mostly to be .flv videos, but I'm not sure.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Did the problem come straight out the blue then? I've been using google to find people with the same problem but all they say is "turn off hardware acceleration" which isn't really fixing the problem.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Do you have DivX installed?

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 11:40)
Do you have DivX installed?

I actually installed it trying to fix the problem, but it didn't change anything.

It came pretty much out of the blue, yeah. I can't think of anything significant that could have caused it.

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:57 AM Edited by 4 Bagger, 10 April 2012 - 12:35 PM.

I had this same problem a couple of days ago. I had to refresh nearly every video because of it. I tried a few things such as re-installing the flash player which had no luck. I left YouTube and other video sites for a few days and I didn't have to refresh as much when I returned and eventually it went. Not extremely helpful I know but I didn't have to do anything for the problem to solve.

user posted image

This sometimes came up aswell before I refreshed it.

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

That happens to me sometimes only for a period of time. It is most likely your PC performance try turning down your color settings by right-clicking on the desktop and click personalize. Try going to full screen or bigger player or turning the resolution down. Make sure you have the most LATEST version of flash-player.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I was working on a machine where all YT videos would be green, turns out was the graphic card.
A quick switch to a different graphic card solved the problem. Try updating your graphic card driver or if
you have the latest go back to the previous one.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

DivX won't matter. Youtube and other streaming sites are the ones that need the codecs not the viewer. Flash is what the player uses, it's also the container for the video, and what the viewer needs.

Sorry I know that doesn't really help the topic much. I just wanted to clarify that part.

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 14:06)
Try updating your graphic card driver or if you have the latest go back to the previous one.

This did the trick. Installed the latest driver, and all seems well now. Thanks guys. smile.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:04 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 16 April 2012 - 06:09 PM.

I know you have the problem fixed but after a similar experience and some reading I have to ask
At the time you had this happening do you have any idea what version of Flash you had/have. I don't know with IE but with Firefox if you open a tab and in the address bar type: about:plugins then scroll down to Shockwave Flash you'll see the version number.
If it says 11.2.202.228 there is a newer version out now 11.2.202.233 but I got the green screen still until I disable the hardware acceleration but then I also haven't updated my video drivers since 285.62 (nvidia)

Side note: This really had me confused because the other day I started up my system and Flash updated and all the installer says is "11.2". Did the same thing last night and for the same thing so I thought something screwy was going on because normally it would say something like "11" then "11.1" then 11.2 and then you'd expect to see 11.3 and so on. If they had shown the full version number then I might have caught that and not thought anything of it other than a minor update which what it is.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:10 PM Edited by Slamman, 16 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Google owns YouTube, the Flash is built in, so they say, but make a Flash applet install into your Win Control Panel, and any updates can be done from there, there is also a Flash malware remover is available, if you check for a link, I have one Flash scanner and uninstaller thanks to MikePCguy

I've had a problem with those plug ins, there's a SAFE mode that some browsers may wind up running in, without needed plug-ins
I've been perplexed by how this seems automated at times, and not because I chose something to run as such

Adobe Flash latest update is 11.2 version (Wolf points out the full revisions, but as it updates upon reboot, it just shows the first three digits)
The Shockwave applet also has an installer, so it's good to keep a version around for about a year in archive.
I practice this with any useful installer. Hardware Acceleration is referring to your graphics cards, not everyone is going to face this issue, as such. The latest nvidia driver also won't solve everyone's problem in this case, since they differ and video BIOS is geared toward what you bought and entrust in video use

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users