Quantcast

» «
Photo

Protagonist as Antagonist

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Which would you rather have for the Protagonist's behavior? (220 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather have for the Protagonist's behavior?

1. Has a loving side (Sweet,kind man) (81 votes [39.90%])

Percentage of vote: 39.90%

2. Cruel hearted (Badass,gives no breaks) (122 votes [60.10%])

Percentage of vote: 60.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Phrill
  • Phrill

7-8 LIONS

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:20 PM Edited by Phrill, 09 April 2012 - 09:23 PM.

What would you prefer for the protagonist's Heart?

Who says the MC Can't be a bad guy up everyone's behind all the time?

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

lmao,this is GTA not a love simulator.

lol.gif

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

I hope he at least embraces his criminal side and doesn't run from it like John Marston or Niko

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

How about he starts off like any other GTA character as an anti-hero... but as the story goes on, he slowly turns into the antagonist. Like maybe he gets too greedy or something and cuts out one of his closest allies.

Phrill
  • Phrill

7-8 LIONS

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (UtricularEwe001 @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:32)

lol.gif

Niko was a nice guy at heart, though we can tell he is a cold blooded killer when we are in mission, and niko really wanted another half (GF) Gta 4 was a love simulater

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• Members
  • England

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

The title makes the poll seem pointless. Even if the main character is a complete twat, he'd still be the protagonist considering that we'll be trying to achieve his goals.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:36)
How about he starts off like any other GTA character as an anti-hero... but as the story goes on, he slowly turns into the antagonist. Like maybe he gets too greedy or something and cuts out one of his closest allies.

That would be bold and a new direction, I'd like for him to be visibly cut throat. Kind of like in Breaking Bad, pretty much all the characters are morally ambiguous like in real life. Things shouldn't be so black and white with good guys and bad guys

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Hustler

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Phrill @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 22:38)

lol.gif

Niko was a nice guy at heart, though we can tell he is a cold blooded killer when we are in mission, and niko really wanted another half (GF) Gta 4 was a love simulater

"I killed people, smuggled people, sold people." Yeah, Niko was such a nice guy. dozingoff.gif

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

Whilst everyone's lost, the battle is won

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

How do you play as an antagonist in GTA V? whatsthat.gif

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Long_Haired_Boy @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:47)
How do you play as an antagonist in GTA V? whatsthat.gif

The protagonist can have antagonistic traits, shows like The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, hell even the now defunct Sopranos show how interesting things can get when the "good" guy is morally questionable in character

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:40)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:36)

That would be bold and a new direction, I'd like for him to be visibly cut throat. Kind of like in Breaking Bad, pretty much all the characters are morally ambiguous like in real life. Things shouldn't be so black and white with good guys and bad guys

Totally agree... I mean this is GTA we're talking about. Like Breaking Bad, GTA tends to focus on the "gray" side. So perhaps this "bold new direction" will let us dip our feet into the "black" side for a change story-wise.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well every GTA protaganist are already either antagonist themselves or anti-heroes, they have certain redeeming qualities but they also do alot of terrible things and end up killing several innocent people along the way. I would like a protagonist who knows how much of a psycho he is and just doesn't give a f*ck the kind of guy that you wouldn't be shocked if he went on a rampage for fun similar to the ones we take the current protagonist on when we get bored.

The only bad thing is that kind of protagonist will probably die at the end of the game so he can get some retribution for all the bad things he's done so some sort of lesson can be learnt. There's a reason why the main character in gangster films usually die or have something terrible happen to them.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

What about something inbetween.. i mean he doesn't have to be very kind (john marston) or a complete "badass" (Alex mercer from prototype) he could be like Nathan Drake from Uncharted (normal guy)

Ps3blaze22
  • Ps3blaze22

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:57)
What about something inbetween.. i mean he doesn't have to be very kind (john marston) or a complete "badass" (Alex mercer from prototype) he could be like Nathan Drake from Uncharted (normal guy)

Nathan drake is more kind than john marston.
On Topic: i want a complete badass who dont give a sh*t about anybody's life (including his family)

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

I think it's time for another Tommy Vercetti personality. I mean, that guy was a cold mother f*cker, and he got what he wanted in the end... Vice City. We need a character with that level of ambition again. Someone who embraces the fact that they are a criminal, and not try to run from it.

I'm tired of playing as cry babies...

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

A second John Marston would satisfy me. No cold hearted protagonists!
Why am I posting here?

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I always get betrayed. I always get f*cked with. I always kill the worse villain. You know what? I want to do the betraying. I want to f*ck with people. I want to make someone's life hell. I want an anti-hero to come after me, and then in the end I blow his self satisfaction out through his skull. I want the whole city to come at me. I want to kill high ranking government officials and people's heroes and stuff. I'm tired of the old "Oh all the non-mission killing is non-canon" and "He's a criminal but also totally a hero" bullsh*t. I want to be evil for once in these god damn games. If video games can do anything, then why can't I be an irredeemably evil son of a bitch? In prototype, the guy embraced what he was at one point in the story. The saints row 2 and 3 protagonist? He knows what he is and he embraces it. Hell, Rico Rodriguez in just cause 2 embraced his career the whole way through. True, brooding anti-heroes have more fleshed out personalities, but I want to be a terminator for once, instead of the mercenary who means well but still kills a whole lotta law enforcement.

ubergoon1912
  • ubergoon1912

Lost Kings Street Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 16:46)

lol.gif

"I killed people, smuggled people, sold people." Yeah, Niko was such a nice guy. dozingoff.gif

"perhaps here, things will be different"

yup he so wasn't looking for a brighter future and a better life

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

WARNING BREAKING BAD SPOILER

To those who watch Breaking Bad, this scene alone, in my opinion, is Walt's official cross-over to the dark side. We need a point in V where the protagonist crosses that line and is unable to turn back.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Cruel hearted. In V this time for some reason I want the protagonist to be one of those sociopathic murderers who people see as going over the boundaries, even for a murderer. Maybe he like kills a whole family to get back at another individual enemy of his, I basically would like to see him also betray people and maybe at the end of the game he is betrayed and he wants revenge, but he learns that everything bad that happened to himl he made equally as bad for other people.

GrandTheftAuto 5SA
  • GrandTheftAuto 5SA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 22:17)

To those who watch Breaking Bad, this scene alone, in my opinion, is Walt's official cross-over to the dark side. We need a point in V where the protagonist crosses that line and is unable to turn back.

this. if the man if a family man he needs to act like the perfect dad in the house but off the street he needs to be the most cruel man out there

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 17:17)

A bit off topic, but:

Walt did that because he knew that Jane was only using him for the money and nothing good what come out of it... especially Walt not having Jesse... I mean, Jesse's a f*cking idiot, but he's still street smart.

I think Walt turned to his evil side at the end of the third season when he went to save Jesse from getting killed because he was going after those two guy's who killed on of his dealer's and that one girl's brother... Sorry for my bad memory. lol.gif

I agree, though. I'd like for the protagonist to start out questioning if all of the crime is really something he'd like to be apart of in the end. icon14.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

QUOTE (GrandTheftAuto 5SA @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 22:24)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 22:17)

this. if the man if a family man he needs to act like the perfect dad in the house but off the street he needs to be the most cruel man out there

A family man with the same ambition as Tommy Vercetti.

Just think for a moment how awesome that would be story-wise.

CantPauseToast
  • CantPauseToast

In a few weeks or so.

• Members

I'm still a fan of Claude Speed from GTA III. He's the perfect anti-hero, he does not give one solitary sh*t who gets in his way, he'll kill, betray, and steal-from whoever will bring him closer to Catalina and he takes down half of Liberty City to do it. All the dude wants is payback and the fact he never utters a word through the whole thing adds a really dark element to him as a character.

Obviously, we won't see a silent protag in future GTA's, but if they can capture that stone-cold, not a single **** was given attitude and apply it to a verbal character; it would be brilliant.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Having a one dimensional sociopath for a protagonist wouldn't be great either. We need a guy that you can root for but doesn't have a bunch of sappy views on how is life is. He needs to be ok with being a criminal and just accept that that's the life he's chosen instead of being so conflicted about it. We should see the protag do f*cked up things from time to time throughout the story but he shouldn't be entirely evil, that's not very interesting. You should be able to make choices that affect the future tone and dialogue of the protag too

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Method @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 22:27)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 17:17)

A bit off topic, but:

Walt did that because he knew that Jane was only using him for the money and nothing good what come out of it... especially Walt not having Jesse... I mean, Jesse's a f*cking idiot, but he's still street smart.

I think Walt turned to his evil side at the end of the third season when he went to save Jesse from getting killed because he was going after those two guy's who killed on of his dealer's and that one girl's brother... Sorry for my bad memory. lol.gif

I agree, though. I'd like for the protagonist to start out questioning if all of the crime is really something he'd like to be apart of in the end. icon14.gif

Walt also did that because he does care for him though. She was going to lead him down a bad path with heroine. They had all that money too, so Walt most likely saved his life by letting her die. And I believe you are talking about this:

He's saving Jesse's life here as well.

OT: John Marsten tried to run away from his criminal past in order to protect his family... so how about in V the protagonist embraces his criminal past in order to PROVIDE for his family? If the game is indeed about the economic crisis, it would make sense.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

All of them were criminals but they make them likable enough that you want to play them.

Seattle Cracker
  • Seattle Cracker

That awkward white guy

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I wouldn't mind a darker protagonist. Not stupidly homicidal like Tommy, nor king kong esque misunderstood Niko. I want a protagonist that really, really pushes moral boundaries, that leaves the audience wondering if he's the good guy after all.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (DaWiesel @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:46)

lol.gif

You're like f*cking Fox News, cutting up quotes and editing them to prove your crappy point. Maybe if you didn't cut out the last part of what Niko says, you would realize that he was trying to get away from that kind of lifestyle.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:00 AM Edited by Mr. Darko, 10 April 2012 - 12:12 AM.

I don't really want GTA to become simply a twisted fantasy-fulfilling crime game. I want protagonists that I can relate with on some level. The guy can be merciless and cutthroat, and have a selfish goal, but he shouldn't be some twisted ratty character. He doesn't snitch, and he won't betray those who wouldn't betray him. But the moment somebody crosses him, he crosses him back 100x harder. He can embrace being a criminal but I like those guys to have some level of honor, and is pissed off when other people break his 'code'. He could have a crossover point where he betrays someone that was nothing but loyal to him, but I think he should regret it later.

Even better, I'd like us to have choices. The more selfish, greedy choices are the easier ones, while the more honorable choices are more difficult. Kind of like Bioshock, in which the more convenient methods are also the more heartless. If someone takes the effort to be a halfway decent person, the ending will be one of accomplishment. The protagonist will have no regrets. Take the darker path, and his journey ends on a sour note. Either way he gets what he wants, but it's up to the player how he gets there, and what ghosts will haunt him. Whatever choices are made, he will remain a morally ambiguous man who does not second-guess himself or attempt to escape his decisions; if he takes the darker route, he will realize there's no turning back and will not complain about where his life has gone, the regret will be nonverbal for the most part. So no matter what he is a badass, but I think this way he will be somewhat more human.

Another thing though: the thread title doesn't quite work. Regardless of how much of a bastard the main character is, he would still be the protagonist. It's just another word for main character, their morality is not relevant. Martin from The Human Centipede 2 is still the protagonist, despite being one of the most disgusting villains in cinema ever. The story is told from his perspective, and those who oppose him (despite being totally right in doing so) are the antagonists.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users