• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic
KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (markusizr @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 04:27)
guys hoo do you write like that

Copy the following code:

CODE
[tableb]
[tr]
[td]Film:[/td]
[td]----[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Director:[/td]
[td]----[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Reason:[/td]
[td]----[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Year:[/td]
[td]----[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Genre:[/td]
[td]----[/td]
[/tr]
[/tableb]

Paste this into your reply, and then replace the '----' with the relevant information needed, of which is 'titled' above each set of dashed lines.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

Film:Training Day
Director:Antoine Fuqua
Reason:I find Denzel Washington to be such a captivating actor and the chemistry between himself and Ethan Hawke in this film is phenomenal. Probably my favourite film.
Year:2001
Genre:Crime Drama

Film:Mesrine
Director:Jean-Francois Richet
Reason:The best foreign film I have ever seen. Details the life of notorious French gangster Jacques Mesrine yet depicts him as he really was, a ruthless criminal.
Year:2008
Genre:Action/Biography/Crime

Film:Beverly Hills Cop 2
Director:Tony Scott
Reason:I'm a sucker for 1980's comedies but this is my favourite by a mile. Eddie Murphy at his finest.
Year:1987
Genre:Action-Comedy

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:57 PM Edited by ShaneHunter, 16 April 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Film:Once Upon A Time In America
Director:Sergio Leone
Reason:This film is a profound expression of truth regarding friendship and betrayal. Noodles, played by Robert De Niro, is a simple man and a thug with one credo: you can battle the entire world but you never betray a friend. During the course of this film we experience various pieces of Noodles's life, from childhood, through young adulthood and old age. We learn what happens to his friends, his foes and the love of his life, Deborah. The time span considered is long, including Noodles's childhood shortly after the turn of the century, through the prohibition era, and finally the 1960's. The film is about relationships; the many years Noodles spends away from his friends receive only a cursory mention. The film, like life and memories, unfolds slowly and reflectively. Sergio Leone's cuts are long and each scene is beautifully amplified my Ennio Morricone's haunting score. The story is not told chronologically. Instead, the chapters of the story are slowly revealed like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Each piece might make us laugh, or cry, or smile, or feel shock. But, as each piece falls into place, a mystery unfolds. When the final piece is revealed, the true essence of the story becomes clear and a sad and beautiful tapestry comes into view. You can definitely tell how much i love this movie lol.
Year:1984
Genre:Crime & Drama

Film:City Of God
Director:Fernando Meirelles
Reason:City of God is an adrenaline jolt of a film that for once manages to find a balance between stylistics and substance. The director, Fernando Meirelles, stuffs his movie to the brim with machine-gun editing, swirling cinematography and pounding music, but while this reliance on fancy tricks has ruined other films, Meirelles is an expert at blending them seamlessly into an engrossing story that the viewer quickly accepts them as inseparable from the world of the film. He delivers a deeply emotional and human story that obviously owes much to Scorsese and Tarantino, but his movie feels completely original, never like a rip off. And underneath all of the action and plotting, there is a compelling message about about the power of art (specifically the camera) and a suggestion that, just as the pen is mightier than the sword, the camera is mightier than the gun. Another one i love.
Year:2002

Film:Citizen Kane
Director:Orson Welles
Reason:This film, is many things. It is a brilliantly crafted series of flashbacks and remembrances. It is an engaging story of a dynamic man in a dynamic world. It is a remarkable statement for the wide range of time periods that it covers. It is a deceptively simple story centering on perhaps the most meaningful word in all of cinema. Behind all that, Citizen Kane is the American cinema. There is not a major director today who has not been influenced by the genius Orson Welles put forth. The film centers around a group of reporters investigating the origin of the dying newspaper tycoon Charles Foster Kane's last word: Rosebud. The movie begins with an unforgettable newsreel montage summarizing the man's life. From there on, the viewer is thrown into a gloriously chaotic world of flashbacks upon flashbacks, in which the viewer slowly learns just about everything about Charles Foster Kane's enthralling life. From his trying childhood to his rise to power to the pinnacle of his success to his marital difficulties to his fall from grace, the story of Charles Foster Kane is presented for the viewer in a way that few other movies can offer: magically.
Year:1941
Genre:Drama & Mystery

Film:Once Upon A Time In The West
Director:Sergio Leone
Reason:There's two things that stand out to me always about this movie, and indeed all of Sergio Leone's films, One is his understanding of pacing events, and the other is using his actors/actresses to actually act. When you see Claudia Cardinale riding up to the ranch, all you see is her face, but you can tell instantly what she is looking at and everything she's feeling. You know Henry Fonda's the bad guy, but when he smiles faintly at the young boy, you feel there's something more to him, a personality and human qualities, even if he is evil. The final shoot-out itself is a masterpiece. The protagonist and antagonist say nothing, but as they face off the music lets you know the moment as come. As they stand ready the scene that's been hinted at throughout the movie plays out like a dream, revealing what the whole story was about. Then, without warning, they draw and fire. Just as in real life, it's over before you notice it. The music score, which had certain pieces and sections for various moods, is one of my favorites.
Year:1968
Genre:Western

batmankidal
  • batmankidal

Biker dude

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:12 AM Edited by batmankidal, 17 April 2012 - 12:34 AM.

Film:Old Boy
Director:Park Chan Wook
Reason:Unusual story, brilliant editing
Year:2003
Genre:Thriller
Film:The Raid
Director:Gareth Evans
Reason:kick ass action, full of martial art fights
Year:2012
Genre:Action
Film:The Chaser
Director:Na Hong Jin
Reason:full of surprise, brilliant story
Year:2008
Film:I Saw The Devil
Director:Kim Jee Won
Reason:sick action, full of blood
Year:2010
Film:Battle Royale
Director:Kinji Fukasaku
Reason:Great and twisted story
Year:2000

All of them is an Asian film icon14.gif

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

indi could you fix Once Upon A Time In America?? you wrote Sergio Leone instead of Crime Drama lol

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:02 AM Edited by ShaneHunter, 17 April 2012 - 11:06 AM.

My 5th and final entry and i'm legit surprised no one posted this one earlier confused.gif

Film:The Godfather Part II
Director:Francis Ford Coppola
Year:1974
Reason:You can count on one hand the movie sequels that measure up to the original; Godfather II makes the cut. This movie is just as fine as as the original. Here the director goes back and forth between the early days of the young Vito Corleone, played by Robert De Niro, and the family after the action in the first one in the 1950's just before Castro came to power. Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) has moved the family and most of his business to Nevada. Once again the acting is flawless. There are many poignant scenes concerning his wife and children such as the drawing his son leaves for him in his bedroom, the gift that Tom buys the child because Michael is too busy, his wife Kay being kept a virtual prisoner at his orders in the family compound, etc. The cinematography is stunning; the footage from Sicily and New York around the turn of the century and the snow scenes from the American West are beautiful and rich in detail.

Someone better post Raging Bull sooner than later tounge2.gif

GTAknowledge
  • GTAknowledge

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Film:American Pie
Director:Paul Weitz
Reason:Best of the successful American Pie franchise. Rare movie of mixes of Romance, Comedy and a Nostalgic feel.
Year:1999
Genre:Comedy

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 20:21)
Film:The Room
Director:Tommy Wiseau
Reason:Whilst it was written as a hard-hitting biographical picture, The Room is now considered a cult classic of unintentional comedy and is one of the most hilarious movies you will ever see. The comedy comes from the simplistic story which sees director and writer Wiseau portray himself as a saintly figure who is betrayed by those around him. There are numerous moments which make no sense and lines so bizarrely scripted that you wonder how anyone agreed to go along with it, but it is this imperfection that makes it a comedy gem. For example, there is a scene in which Wiseau and his friends go through an elaborate montage, dressing in swanky tuxedos, we see them play football - in the tuxedos - and then it's never mentioned again. Things like that ensure that this movie will never be forgotten. The film is legitimately hilarious, even though it was not the directors intention.
Year:2003

There's only 100 spots and you give one to The Room?? Typhus you might be my least favorite poster on these forums. First you bad mouth Lennon with your limited knowledge of him and then you add The Room to this list. Every single spot is precious since they're only 100 and you shouldn't be wasting a spot on one of the worst films of all time.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Don't post in this topic!

Use this for discussing please:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=506486

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:45 PM Edited by DeeperRed, 18 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Film[:/td][td] Drive
Director:Nicolas Winding Refn
Reason: A simple story, with a complex character, covered from head toe to in style. Each shot was beautiful and the soundtrack was one of the best I have heard in a while. I watched this movie 3 times in three days and each time loved it all the same.
Year:2012
Genre: Action
I can see this already in being in the list but if not

[tr]
Film:The Goodfellas
Director:Martin Scorsese
Reason: One of the all time classic gangster movies that was frighteningly close to the true story it was based off. Ray Liota was fantastic and as where all his supporting cast members. It told the classic rise and fall story in a brilliant way with a killer soundtrack and direction.
Year:1990

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Film:The Graduate
Director:Mike Nichols
Reason:Arguably Dustin Hoffman's best film, this is a coming-of-age story that beautifully captures the malaise of graduating and lacking direction. It has a handful of scenes that have become pop-culture history by now. The soundtrack, in part made by Simon & Garfunkel has got to be one of my favorites. It's stood up to the test of time very well.
Year:1967
Genre:Drama

a cactus
  • a cactus

king sh*t of f*ck mountain

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:30 AM Edited by TheCacti, 22 April 2012 - 03:32 AM.

Frankly, I'm glad that Typhus is speaking out for The Room and that there's someone else who holds it in equally high regards.

I tried scanning the nominee list a couple times, but has nobody nominated this yet? Get your sh*t together, folks tounge.gif
Film:The Empire Strikes Back
Director:Irvin Kershner
Reason:I believe the whole trilogy deserves to be selected, but instead am opting for just my personal favorite to save space for, hopefully, a more diverse nominee list. It's an impeccable blend of action, fantasy/science-fiction, drama, humor, mystery, and even romance, all of which perfectly complement each other. Yoda may just be one of the most likable characters in the history of cinema, whose enchanting personality continues to radiate beyond the screen even to this day. The original Star Wars trilogy is among films that have heavily influenced the imaginations of multiple generations and likely many more to come, and no list would be complete without them.
Year:1980
Genre:Science-fiction

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well, as a fanboy, I feel obliged to do this.

Film:Aliens
Director:James Cameron
Reason:A sequel that does not only live up to the original but is also considered by many to surpass the original, Aliens is a brilliant roller-coaster ride of action and suspense (after a long build up) whilst also definitely not forgetting to create many unforgettable characters. It also may just be one of the most quotable movies of all time.
Year:1986
Genre:Sci-fi

a cactus
  • a cactus

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:39 PM Edited by TheCacti, 22 April 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Film:Dead Poets Society
Director:Peter Weir
Reason:It's a massively inspirational film whose salient message will always be relevant: the dangers of conformity and importance of being a free-thinking individual. The characters are all relatable and very well portrayed, from the meek Meeks to the authoritarian headmaster Nolan, and of course the charismatic Mr. Keating. Like any of the best films, it becomes better with each viewing and the ending never ceases to evoke passionate emotions.
Year:1989

Film:Office Space
Director:Mike Judge
Reason:List needs more comedies, and this one here has deservedly become the standard of work-based humor. It's full of memorable dialogue, characters, and situations that have come to represent the ubiquitous, mundane life of working at an "office." Its cinematic qualities are equally simplistic to that of an empty cubicle, but the personalities of the characters are what bring this hilarious film to life.

Film:The Matrix
Director:Wachowski Bros
Reason:Many reasons. Quite an original story premise that flirts with a multitude of philosophical and scientific implications. In addition to tickling the audience's imagination with frightening questions and fantastic imagery of what could be a possible future for mankind, the calibre of action is nothing short of top-shelf and its cinematic presentation has undoubtedly changed the landscape of all future actions films.
Genre:Action/Science-Fiction

NOTE: THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED WITH TWO NEW ENTRIES

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:41 AM Edited by Sauron, 23 April 2012 - 09:16 AM.

Film:Intouchables
Director:Eric Toledano , Olivier Nakache
Reason:The film's simplicity is delightfully misleading: the script is a masterpiece of comedy writing, and however good the rest of the cast is, the central duo is magical. Sy's comic timing will have you in stitches, but it is his honesty and vulnerability that make you fall in love with the character. Cluzet isn't your typical sad-sack, instead, much of the finest pleasures in the film consist in watching him use his keen mind to mess with the world around him. Brilliant film, must see.
Year:2011

Simon Quinlank
  • Simon Quinlank

I am the hobby king!

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Film:Ikiru
Director:Akira Kurosawa
Reason:It's a profoundly moving and fundamentally human story, at once depicting the transience of life and the lingering impact of our decisions and our actions. Takashi Shimura offers a remarkable performance in the film's lead role and Kurosawa's directing ensures that the film is one not just of emotional but also aesthetic beauty, both of which are captured in the film's iconic closing scene.
Year:1952

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:43 AM Edited by Sauron, 24 April 2012 - 02:46 AM.

Film:Gladiator
Director:Ridley Scott
Reason:"Gladiator" is a classic film it combines a simple, but moving, story with beautiful scenery, filming, direction and score – it is truly a "complete" movie.
Year:2000
Genre:Action/Incest
Film:Braveheart
Director:Mel Gibson
Reason:Despite the criticism of historical inaccuracy viewed simply as a film, the movie is brilliant. It is a story of the human spirit. It is a testimony to the power of conviction; that drive and desire can achieve more than strength of arms.
Year:1995
Film:Heat
Director:Michael Mann
Reason:'Heat,' a film of epic proportions on a common placed scale, provides all the essentials of a great crime drama and then some. With a fascinating storyline, involving characters, and Mann's sometimes poetic, sometimes gritty directing, 'Heat' is arguably one of the best crime dramas.
Year:1995
Film:Good Will Hunting
Director:Gus Van Sant
Reason:Good Will Hunting is a fantastic movie in almost every way. The writing is witty, brilliant and hilarious at times, both Matt and Robin Williams deliver wonderful performances from both a comedic and theatrical prospective.
Year:1997

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:49 PM Edited by Diggdydog, 25 April 2012 - 10:03 PM.

Film:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Director:Terry Gilliam
Reason:It's just an absolute masterpiece. I feel it really captures the chaos of Hunter S. Thompson's book. I'm pretty sure other people could come up with much better reasons, but it should be clear to anyone who has seen this film that it needs to be in the Top 100 films.
Year:1998
Genre:Adventure

Note: I'm not too sure on the genre I've listed, feel free to change it if you want.

Film:Full Metal Jacket
Director:Stanley Kubrick
Reason:An amazing film which featured realism way beyond it's time. Coupled with great acting, great special effects and an amazing storyline I think this film must be one of, if not the best Vietnam film.
Year:1987
Genre:War/ Action

Vega LVI
  • Vega LVI

Gravedancer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

Film:The Silence of the Lambs
Director:Jonathon Demme
Reason:Considerably the best horror movie of all time; has a great cast, plot and storyline.
Year:1991
Genre:Horror

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Film:Chinatown
Director:Roman Polanski
Reason:Arguably one of the best, if not the best noir flick since The Third Man, Chinatown boasts great performances from Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway and some of the prettiest filming of the '70s. The way Los Angeles of the 1930s (?) was recreated is astonishing. The attention to detail is meticulous. The true strength of the film lies in the script and story. The 'complicated' landgrab story has become somewhat of an archetype and copied a bunch of times.
Year:1974
Genre:Film noir

Film:The Third Man
Director:Carol Reed
Reason:The Third Man is in my opinion the best classical noir flick out there. Everything from the cinematography, to the story and characters comes together so well and forms, for me anyway, the very image of film noir. It has Orson Welles in one of his better roles. Also, zithers.
Year:1949
Genre:Film noir

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:09 PM Edited by Marlowe., 27 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Film:North by Northwest
Director:Alfred Hitchcock
Reason:Hitchcock has to represented in some shape or form. I nominate his most elegant work. There's comedy, drama, action, adventure, mystery, romance all wrapped in one. It's everything Hitchcock. There's witty dialoge, beautiful cinematography, some damn fine acting (Cary Grant at his best), and they all equate to some very remembele and iconic scenes.
Year:1959
Genre:Adventure/Thriller

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Film:Starship Troopers
Director:Paul Verhoeven
Reason:A brilliant satire with some hilarious lines, cheesy acting and a great ott special effects. The gore is great and it really holds no punches. The mixture of comedy and horror is mixed well setting one of those brilliant atmospheres where you don't know whether to laugh or not
Year:1997
Genre:Adventure/Thriller

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:11 AM Edited by Indi, 03 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Nominations re-opened thanks to Craig.

7 films available for nomination. People who have already voted have the option to vote 2 more films.

Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Film:Boyz n the Hood
Director:John Singleton
Reason:Awesome movie! About boys that grow up in South Central Los Angeles. Has great storyline!
Genre:Crime Drama

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:08 PM Edited by Indi, 03 May 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Film:The Big Lebowski
Director:The Coen Brothers
Reason:One of my favourite stoner comedies of all time, Jeff Bridges plays one of the most laid-back coolest dudes ever in the history of cinema. A crazy story about 3 friends who get into a plot of the kidnapping of a "rich" millionare's trophy wife. All the dude ever wanted was his rug back.
Year:1998

a cactus
  • a cactus

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

The Big Lebowski is a fantastic one that was missing.

Film:The Lost Horizon
Director:Frank Capra
Reason:It's the film that put Shangri La on the map (sort of). Many films will come and go that speak to us about the lives we lead and what it is to be happy, but despite this one being nearly a century old its message is as pertinent and relevant as ever.
Year:1937

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Film:The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Director:Peter Jackson
Reason:Stuff me if I could figure out which one of the three Peter Jackson epics to nominate. They're all pretty much the same the film split over three acts, but I have always found The Fellowship to work best as a single, enjoyable experinece moreso than the last two. Plus, the first one left the biggest imprint on my childhood, so personal preference prevails.
Year:2001
Genre:Epic

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Film:Zodiac
Director:David Fincher
Reason:The grim tale of the unidentified San Franciscan serial killer, Zodiac is an amazing crime drama which does not revel in gore and sensationalism. Instead it tells the captivating tale of Robert Graysmith, a man who slowly becomes so obsessed with the case that he descends into paranoia and a complete denial of reality. Whilst it goes without saying that the acting is first class throughout, what also deserves a lot of attention is the peerless cinematography. Never has California looked so grand. The shimmering blue waters, the Golden gate Bridge illuminated in the night by the crackle of fireworks. Zodiac is both a mentally exhausting crime drama and a feast for the eyes, making it one of the best movies of modern times.
Year:2007
Genre:Crime

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:51 PM Edited by AceRay, 04 May 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Film:Schindler's List
Director:Steven Spielberg
Reason:This movie is the harrowing and tear jurking story of Oskar Schindler, played by Liam Neeson, a German buisness man who employs more than a thousand Jews during WW2, saving their lives and losing his fortune in the meantime. This film shows how brutal the Holocaust was, with plenty of heart breaking scenes as the Nazis go around and murder them in their millions, and its a great story of human sacrifice. Ralph Fiennes gives a completely floor as real life monster Amon Göth. Definitely a must watch.
Year:1993
Genre:Historical Drama
Film:JFK
Director:Oliver
Reason:Oliver Stone's JFK tells the story of Jim Garrison, District Attorney of Louisiana, who investigates the assassination of JFK and discovers that it was just one guy with gun and there was no conspi... I'm joking! This film is loosely based on real events and the emphasis is put on loosely because this film is in la la land, the real Garrison was a complete dipstick and pretty much 90% of the "facts" are fictional. That said, I nominate it because Kevin Costner does a fantastic job and the film has lots of great performers, such as Gary Oldman as assassin Lee Harvey Oswald, Joe Pesci as David Ferie and Donald Sutherland as X. I feel that if Stone did an Oswald film and told the story as it actually happened, it would probably have shocked audiences more if they found out there was no conspiracy. Still a great movie.
Genre:Fantasy

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED, CHANGED INCEPTION TO JFK

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:14 PM Edited by Butters 2011, 04 May 2012 - 09:26 PM.

Film:Layer Cake
Director:Matthew Vaughn
Year:2004
Reason:Yet another Great British crime film, and I'm shocked to see that this has yet to be nominated.
Genre:Crime

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users