GTAForums Top 100 Films 2013 Edition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:35 PM Edited by Indi, 23 July 2013 - 08:45 AM.

user posted image

Thanks to Narcis_speed6 for the logo.

This is the nominations thread, do not discuss in this topic; only nominations should be placed inside of here, to discuss your favourite films, actors, directors or anything else; go here:
http://www.gtaforums...pic=506486&st=0

Film:*insert film*
Director:*insert director*
Year:*insert year*
Reason:*reason for nominating here*
Genre:*insert genre*
CODE
[tableb]
[tr]
[td]Film:[/td]
[td]*insert film*[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Director:[/td]
[td]*insert director*[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Reason:[/td]
[td]*reason for nomination here*[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Year:[/td]
[td]*insert year*[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Genre:[/td]
[td]*insert genre, please try to keep it to one genre, I know it can be difficult*[/td]
[/tr]
[/tableb]

Films that have been nominated:
1. • Léon - Drama
2. • The Artist - Silent
3. • The Kid - Silent
4. • Casablanca - Romantic
5. • Back to the Future - Sci-Fi
6. • The Dark Knight - Crime
7. • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Western
8. • There Will Be Blood - Drama
9. • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Romance
10. • Garden State - Drama
11. • Black Swan - Drama
12. • Fight Club - Drama
13. • Jurassic Park - Science Fiction Adventure
14. • Brazil - Science Fiction/Black Comedy
15. • Le Voyage Dans La Lune - Science Fiction Fantasy Adventure
16. • Robinson Cruesoe On Mars - Science Fiction Adventure
17. • Shotgun Stories - Drama
18. • The Wrestler - Sports/Drama
19. • Dazed and Confused - Comedy/Coming of Age
20. • The Room - Comedy
21. • Pretty Village, Pretty Flame - War/Drama
22. • Watchmen - Sci-Fi
23. • 5 Centimetres Per Second - Romance
24. • Ghost in The Shell - Sci-Fi
25. • Interstate 60 - Adventure
26. • The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! - Comedy
27. • Indiana Jones: The Raiders of the Lost Ark - Action Adventure
28. • The Godfather - Crime Drama
29. • Stray Dog - Crime
31. • Pulp Fiction - Crime Drama
32. • Dances With Wolves - Western
33. • The Assassination of Richard Nixon - Drama
34. • Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Heist
35. • The Shawshank Redemption - Drama
36. • Die Hard - Action
37. • Frost/Nixon - Political Drama
38. • Easy Rider - Drama
39. • Se7en - Thriller
40. • Alien - Horror
41. • Lawrence of Arabia - War epic
42. • Akira - Drama
43. • Donnie Darko - Psychological Drama
44. • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Drama
45. • Forrest Gump - Comedy
46. • SUPER - Drama
47. • The Green Mile - Drama
48. • Reservoir Dogs - Crime
49. • IT - Horror
50. • The Wind That Shakes the Barley - War
51. • District 13: Ultimatum - Action
52. • Scarface - Crime Drama
53. • Saving Private Ryan - Historical
54. • 6th Sense - Thriller
55. • American History X - Drama
56. • Scott Pilgrim VS The World - Comedy
57. • Training Day - Crime Drama
58. • Mesrine - Action
59. • Beverly Hills Cop 2 - Action Comedy
60. • Once Upon A Time In America - Crime Drama
61. • City of God - Crime Drama
62. • Citizen Kane - Drama Mystery
63. • Once Upon a Time In The West - Western
64. • Old Boy - Thriller
65. • The Raid - Action
66. • The Chaser - Thriller
67. • I Saw The Devil Thriller
68. • Battle Royale - Thriller
69. • The Godfather Part II - Crime Drama
70. • American Pie - Comedy
71. • Drive - Action
72. • Goodfellas - Crime Drama
73. • The Graduate - Drama
74. • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Science-fiction
75. • Aliens - Sci-fi
76. • Dead Poets Society - Drama
77. • Office Space - Comedy
78. • The Matrix - Action
79. • Intouchables - Comedy
80. • Ikiru - Drama
81. • Gladiator - Action
82. • Braveheart - Action
83. • Heat - Action
84. • Good Will Hunting - Drama
85. • Kick-Ass - Action
86. • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Adventure
87. • Full Metal Jacket - War
88. • The Silence of the Lambs - Horror
89. • Chinatown - Film noir
90. • The Third Man - Film noir
91. • North by Northwest - Thriller
92. • Starship Troopers - Adventure
93. • Boyz n the Hood - Crime Drama
94. • The Big Lebowski - Comedy
95. • The Lost Horizon - Drama
96. • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Epic
97. • Zodiac - Crime
98. • Schindler's List - Historical drama
99. • JFK - Fantasy
100. • 12 Monkeys - Sci-Fi
101. • Inglorious Basterds - Drama
102. • Batman: The Dark Knight Rises - Crime
103. • Hachiko - Drama
104. • Case Closed: Countdown to Heaven - Anime, Crime, Horror
105. • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Cold War Espionage Thriller
106. • Django Unchained - Drama
107. • The Count of Monte Cristo - Adventure
108. • American Gangster - Biographical Crime Drama
109. • Ocean's Eleven - Comedy-Crime
110. • Far and Away - Adventure-Drama-Romance
111. • Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance
112. • The Notebook - Romantic Drama
113. • The Postman - Post-Apocalyptic

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:44 PM Edited by Indi, 09 April 2012 - 06:58 PM.

Film:Back to the Future
Director:Robert Zemeckis
Reason:Just a brilliantly crafted film, a visionary like no other; a film that has been with me since I was a very young child, and will always be my favourite film of all time.
Year:1985
Genre:Sci-Fi
Film:The Artist
Director:Michel Hazanavicius
Reason:A homage to classical cinema, a tribute and a very wonderfully crafted film inspired from 1920s silent movies.
Year:2011
Genre:Silent
Film:The Kid
Director:Charles Chaplin
Reason:An emotional film about a forgotten child being brought up by a tramp who has a heart of gold. A funny and feel good-film.
Year:1921
Genre:Silent
Film:Casablanca
Director:Michael Curtiz
Reason:A romantic black and white film that plays out the story of a guy who don't put his neck out for no-one, a love story and a story about the dictatorship of Nazi Germany during the early 1940s.
Year:1942
Genre:Romantic
Film:Léon
Director:Luc Besson
Reason:A very violent and strong-loved film about a French assassin and a young girl hunting down the killers of her family's death.
Year:1994
Genre:Drama

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Film:The Dark Knight
Director:Christopher Nolan
Reason:The Dark Knight is that rarest of combinations. An amazing story, a dream cast and an elegant soundtrack. The Dark Knight goes beyond the hackneyed cliches of the typical comic book movie and instead tells a gripping tale of a city gone made and the protagonists (Christian Bale) struggle against the false prophet he entrusted to take his place (Aaron Eckhart). Don't let the hyperbole surrounding Ledger's performance taint your opinion, this is one of the greatest movies ever filmed.
Year:2008
Genre:Crime

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Film:The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Director:Sergio Leone
Reason:Probably one of the most stylistically directed films out there; it combines brilliant soundtrack by Enio Morricone with Sergio Leone's fantastic directing to produce an epic of the Western genre. Style and a lot of substance in this great piece.
Year:1966
Genre:Western

Film:There Will Be Blood
Director:Paul Thomas Anderson
Reason:A simply brilliant drama - it doesn't need much more justification from a technical standpoint. It is a superb piece of film making.
Year:2007

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:17 PM Edited by Robinski, 09 April 2012 - 08:07 PM.

I'm not going to waste my noms on any of the obvious ones, because someone else is bound to cover them tounge.gif

Film:Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
Director:Michel Gondry
Reason:A captivating exploration of love and fate. Lots of great imagery and playful camerawork gives it a magical kind of feeling that really helps you become emotionally invested in the two main characters. Jim Carrey shows off he can actually act here too, but Kate Winslet knocks it out of the park. She perfectly captures the volatile and endearing eccentric spirit of Clementine in a way that makes her personality both ugly and beautiful, yet despite the ugliness, she still makes me fall in love with the character a little bit every time I watch the film.
Year:2004
Genre:Romance
Film:Leon/The Professional
Director:Luc Besson
Reason:A charming tale of an unusual friendship in an unusual side of the world. There is a side to the film that is quite uncomfortable, the relationship between 13 year old Natalie Portman and the middle age "cleaner" played by Jean Reno, but it is incredibly well crafted and fits well in with the theme of Reno's character remaining moral in a sordid underworld. There's a scene in a restaurant dealing with it which is just magical, and shows of Portman's already formidable skill.
Film:Garden State
Director:Zach Braff
Reason:Quite similar in general tone to ESOTSM, Garden State's a film about a detached and lost 26 year old who goes home fo the first time in 10 years to attend his mother's funeral. The feeling of loneliness and and not knowing your place in the world really resonates with me, as I imagine it does for many people my age. Plus there's a character who's in many ways like Clem in ESOTSM, an eccentric who's able to just wake up people to see the good in life, and I'm a sucker for girls like that.
Film:Black Swan
Director:Darren Aronofsky
Reason:Just beautiful in every way. The soundtrack, the cinematography, the performances, hell even the f*cking costume design is amazing. It feels like there's more than one film here too, I remember the second time I watched it I didn't see the psychological horror I did the first time, but a film about a woman really discovering how much she resents her mother.
Year:2010
Genre:Thriller
E: Indi you bastard! tounge.gif Stealing Leon out from under my nose! Let's replace that with;

Film:Fight Club
Director:David Fincher
Reason:A critically and generally acclaimed film filed with a charismatic cast. Brad Pitt delivers the performance of a lifetime in the role of larger-than-life Tyler Durden, a man so confident and so motivated that God himself would follow him in to Hell. With Edward Norton and Helena Bonham Carter (my second favourite actress) alongside the main attraction you get a great main cast.

Full of memorable scenes (Raymond K Hessel in the alley behind the convenience store is one of my favourite scenes in film), you're pretty much guaranteed to really enjoy at least one part of the move.
Year:1999

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:43 PM Edited by Otter, 09 April 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Ha, I guess there's a recurring thread in my nominations, especially after cutting Dazed and Confused. wink.gif A couple from last round and a couple new suggestions - can't wait to see what they go up against.

Film:Jurassic Park
Director:Stephen Spielberg
Reason:Not only a fond memento of my childhood, this was a comeback for Spielberg and a prime example of his distinctive storytelling. Some great performances and some of the most quoteable lines from 90's film. Not to mention that Jurassic Park was the first time CG creatures were convincingly married to live action footage, and perhaps more important - the effects hold up extremely well to the test of time.
Year:1993
Genre:Science Fiction Adventure
Film:Brazil
Director:Terry Gilliam
Reason:The ultimate example of Gilliam's surreal style of film making - lovingly crafted and notoriously painfully completed. The film now exists in multiple, staggeringly different forms. All of which should be considered with this nomination. We're all in this together.
Year:1985
Genre:Science Fiction Fantasy / Black Comedy
Film:Le Voyage Dans la Lune
Director:Georges Méliès
Reason:Speaking of advances in filmmaking... Méliès, a magician, translated his slight of hand to the very first forms of cinema and the result is still, to this day, breathtaking. This is a standard subject in film school but has recently been in the public eye thanks to Scorcese's film Hugo. Other children of the late 20th century will recognize its influence on the Smashing Pumpkin's "Tonight, Tonight" video. The techniques invented by Méliès have literally spanned the entire history of cinema and we owe so much to him, his body of work, and perhaps most deservingly this beautiful little film.
Year:1902
Genre:Science Fiction Fantasy Adventure
Film:Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Director:Byron Haskin
Reason:This is a staple of 60s science fiction - a fantastic mix of adventure, action, man vs nature and man vs... alien. A very interesting take on the Crusoe story with all the trappings of genre fiction - most notably, perhaps, burning martian rocks in order to create... oxygen to breathe? A purely fantastic exploration of an alien world and yes, while the white man saves the day in the end - he couldn't have done it without his monkey.
Year:1964
Genre:Science Fiction Adventure (in technicolor!)
Film:Shotgun Stories
Director:Jeff Nichols
Reason:A civil war between half-siblings after their father passes away quickly escalates with deadly repercussions. An incredible study of conflict and the downfall of pride, it reminded me a little too much of my life in a small town and how even the most trivial of misunderstandings can quickly ramp up to a bloody lynching. Incredible direction and performances.

Side note, can't wait to see Dark Knight get kicked out in the first round this time. tounge.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Film:The Wrestler
Director:Darren Aronofsky
Reason:This film goes beyond the normal sports tale. It gives us the disgusting, lying side of what professional wrestling is. It shows us the gimmicks and how everything works, and yet every scene in the ring leaves your heart dropping with every slam and clothesline. Beyond that, the character Rourke portrays goes through a redemption like no other. He's one of the most sympathetic protagonists around.
Genre:sports/drama

Film:Dazed and Confused
Director:Richard Linklater
Reason:High school. Even though this film takes place some 40 years before I was even in high school, the film manages to keep some constants that even I can relate to. The characters are all likeable in that reminiscent feeling - everyone knew an asshole like Ben Affleck or some semi-creepy older dude like McConaughey.
Year:1993
Genre:comedy/coming of age

Will add some more in a bit

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Film:The Room
Director:Tommy Wiseau
Reason:Whilst it was written as a hard-hitting biographical picture, The Room is now considered a cult classic of unintentional comedy and is one of the most hilarious movies you will ever see. The comedy comes from the simplistic story which sees director and writer Wiseau portray himself as a saintly figure who is betrayed by those around him. There are numerous moments which make no sense and lines so bizarrely scripted that you wonder how anyone agreed to go along with it, but it is this imperfection that makes it a comedy gem. For example, there is a scene in which Wiseau and his friends go through an elaborate montage, dressing in swanky tuxedos, we see them play football - in the tuxedos - and then it's never mentioned again. Things like that ensure that this movie will never be forgotten. The film is legitimately hilarious, even though it was not the directors intention.
Year:2003
Genre:Comedy

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:13 PM Edited by Tycek, 09 April 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Film:Pretty Village, Pretty Flame (Lepa Selo Lepo Gore)
Director:Srdjan Dragojevic
Reason:One of the most realistic movies about wars showing normal people caught up in the conflict, who're trying to find a moment of happiness in the world of sadness. Movie made without that typical pathos that can be found in almost all american movies about wars, without heroes and without judging anyone
Year:1996
Genre:War-Drama
Film:Watchmen
Director:Zack Snyder
Reason:Not only the best adaptation of highly acclaimed briliant comic book, but also perfect movie with overwhelming atmosphere, fantastic FX and interesting story. Zack Snyder did hell of a job creating this movie and picking actors, because almost everything is made perfectly.
Year:2009
Genre:Sci-fi
Film:5 Centimeters per second (Byôsoku 5 senchimêtoru)
Director:Makoto Shinkai
Reason:Animated story about love blooming between two japanese teens showing not only beauty of love, but also sorrow of separation and grief for being passive in relationship. Movie is quite short, but this one hour is perfect to overwhelm with emotions even a though guys.
Genre:Romance
Film:Ghost in the shell (Kôkaku kidôtai)
Director:Mamoru Oshii
Reason:One of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made trying to find answer for questions about humanity and about boundaries between human and machine. Without this movie The Matrix couldn't be produced as Wachowski brothers were copying whole scenes from it. Ghost in the shell also have one of the most beautiful graphics and most disturbing soundtracks, which toghether are making one of the densest and most overwhelming atmospheres ever shown in a movie.
Year:1995
Genre:Sci-fi
Film:Interstate 60
Director:Bob Gale
Reason:Interstate 60 is movie about many of us - young people trying to find meaning of our lifes, fighting with parents' expectations and dodging logs that life throws our way every day. Mix this with bit of fantasy adventure, travel into void and encounters of strange people looking for their place in the world and you'll get almost perfect movie.
Year:2002
Genre:Adventure

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Film:The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
Director:David Zucker
Reason:This movie takes just about every cliche from cop shows and uses it to a laughable extent. So many memorable scenes and gags, famous faces like Priscilla Presley, O.J Simpson and Weird Al Yankovic, and importantly Leslie Nielsen at his finest make this a memorable gem. A film that I thoroughly enjoy watching during my childhood and a film that I will always treasure and remember the late Nielsen through.
Year:1988

Film:Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Director:Stephen Spielberg
Reason:Good ol' Indy/Harrison Ford. What can be said about this film? It's funny, exciting, thrilling and even romantic, plus whether it be Indy running from the giant boulder to the Nazis getting their comeuppance at the end, their is a memorable scene that anyone who watched the film will have.
Year:1981
Genre:Action Adventure

Film:The Godfather
Director:Francis Ford Coppola
Reason:The movie is strong, has a good script, great casting, excellent acting, and over the top directing. The movie is always in the top 10 section of great movies lists, fans would describe the movie as being simply "perfect". Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall and the rest of the cast do not fail to play their part well, and 3 Oscars along with many other wins and nominations can't be wrong.
Year:1972
Genre:Crime Drama

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Film:Stray Dog
Director:Akira Kurosawa
Reason:Simple premise which works incredibly well. A detective finds out that his pistol is missing and that it has been used in the commission of a crime. His conscious waying heavily on him, he must delve into the underbelly of the Japanese underworld to stop futher crimes being committed. It's beautifully shot, well-acted and just generally an engaging piece of cinema.
Year:1947

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Film:Pulp Fiction
Director:Quentin Tarantino
Reason:A brilliant and unique movie with the best dialogue ever written for a movie. It is also the best performance from both Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. Every scene is perfectly crafted, every piece of dialogue between characters is meaningful and it reveals so much for those willing and able to connect the dots. To explain all the reasons why it's a terrific movie would take a few pages. Those who've seen it and understood what it's about know this to be true.
Genre:crime thriller

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:53 PM Edited by AceRay, 09 April 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Film:Dances with Wolves
Director:Kevin Costner
Reason: The tragic story about a Civil War officer who lives with Native Indians, DWW is a beautifully filmed film with a ton of scenery porn. It builds character like no other movie and will bring tears to your eyes. It won a bunch of awards too and Kevin Costner was awesome.
Year:1990
Genre:Western

Film:The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Director:Niels Mueller
Reason:"What!?!" I hear you ask "Nixon was never assassinated!" Well, that's right, but on February 22 1974, businessman Samuel Byck (spelt Bicke in the movie) tried to hijack a plane and fly into the White House. This is his tragic story. I love how the movie doesn't come to any conclusion about Byck and just leaves it up to the viewer to decide whether he was just a loser or actually had some valid points about society, and that's what I think movies should do, provoke discussion. Its very tame and its quite sad seeing the main character's fall into insanity. Sean Penn does a fantastic job of playing the loner.

Film:Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Director:Guy Ritchie
Reason:This is a classic British film about four small time London gangsters who find themselves wound up in some of the biggest crime gangs in England. Its one of those movies where the less you know coming in, the more enjoyment you'll have. The film has around 20 main characters and it is very interesting to see how each of them relate to the overacting plot Great acting too.
Year:1998
Genre:Heist

Film:The Shawshank Redemption
Director:Frank Daramont
Reason:What can be said about this movie that hasn't been said before? Its ranked #1 on the Internet Movie Database for Pete's sake. In case you've been living under a rock, Shawshank is the inspirational film about a prisoner and its all about freedom and redemption and stuff. Brilliant acting, brilliant filming blah blah blah excellent movie, you should see it.

Film:Die Hard
Directors:John McTiernan
Reason:The definitive action movie, Die Hard is the brutal action flick starring Bruce Willis in his first outing as the wise-cracking cop, John McClane. Alan Rickman is the fantastically menacing Hans Gruber. What sets this apart from other action flicks is that this one is brutally realistic. McClane has trouble taking down one guard and its fun seeing sh*t go down. Its not complicated but its executed brilliantly. Any action film that came in its wake become known as "Die Hard on an X", cementing its place in film history.
Genre:Action

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Film:Frost/Nixon
Director:Ron Howard
Reason:Michael Sheen is one of the most talented actors I've had the privilege of watching. His role as David Frost, a British journalist, is one of my personal favourites of his. With Frank Langella alongside him as Richard Nixon, they form a formidable team. Despite it being a very low-on-action kind of film, it doesn't fail to keep you gripped throughout the intense verbal battles. The friction between Frost and Nixon can still be felt despite it being over thirty years ago, all thanks to this wonderful film.
Genre:Political drama

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:16 AM Edited by Marlowe., 10 April 2012 - 03:22 AM.

Film:Easy Rider
Director:Dennis Hopper
Reason:Captures what freedom really means in America like no other film ever has. Has, arguably, the greatest soundtrack in film history, to-boot.
Year:1969

TommyAngelo
  • TommyAngelo

figure

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

Film:Se7en
Director:David Fincher
Reason:A film about two homicide detectives' desperate hunt for a serial killer who justifies his crimes as absolution for the world's ignorance of the Seven Deadly Sins. The movie takes us from the tortured remains of one victim to the next as the sociopathic "John Doe" sermonizes to Detectives Sommerset and Mills -- one sin at a time. I prefer Brad Pitt in this more so then in Fight Club, this is without a doubt the best serial killer movie.
Year:1995
Genre:Thiller
Film:Alien
Director:Ridley Scott
Reason:The crew of the deep space mining ship Nostromo are awaken from hypersleep to investigate a strange signal from a nearby planet. Probably the best horror of it's time and really opened up the space horror film industry.
Year:1979
Genre:Horror

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Film:Lawrence of Arabia
Director:David Lean
Reason:It's the very textbook definition of a cinematic epic. It's just this huge, grandiose piece of work. For the attack on Aqaba, 500 real horses were filmed charging. Two miles of track were laid. The movie employs thousands of extras, in addition to an already marvelous cast. Now, on paper it might just sound like you regular old war movie - some guy leads an entire people to freedom, yada yada yada - but the movie never resorts to being a 'just' a war movie. It explores many large themes, such as friendship, heroism, ambition and whatnot. The main character, T.E. Lawrence, is so complex that after (at least) four viewings I still can't make heads or tails of him. O'Toole plays him to a T. I could go on and on and on about how good Maurice Jarre's soundtrack is, or how beautifully it was shot but I better keep this brief. It's fantastic.
Year:1962
Genre:War epic

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Film:Akira
Director:Katsuhiro Ohtomo
Reason:Based on the manga series of the same name, Akira condenses several graphic novels into one film but still manages to retain the themes the author was trying to express. Akira is basically the story of what happens when the power of a God is put in the hands of a troubled, alienated youth. Many lofty things have been said about the themes, but I mainly believe this to be a movie based around friendship. Whilst the protagonist, Kaneda, vows to stop his rampaging friend Tetsuo, he never forgets the bond they share. And the climax, in which the villain pathetically begs for his best friends help is absolutely heartbreaking. As are the frequent flashbacks to the antagonist as a lonely, forgotten child.
Ignore the fact that it's animated, ignore the lasers and other distractions and you will find an amazing character-driven drama which leaves you feeling empty, desolated and inspired all at once.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Film:Donnie Darko
Director:Richard Kelly
Reason:4 weeks of filming, a low budget and became a cult favourite, this marvellous piece of work has epic moments and unforgettable quotes.
Year:2001
Genre:Phsycological Drama

The One Called Vega
  • The One Called Vega

In actuality, I'm the one called 'vinvegar'...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Film:One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Director:Miloš Forman
Reason:With a great cast of actors, one-of-a-kind plot, unique setting and one elaborate protagonist, you get an excellent movie. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is that movie.
Year:1975

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Film:Forrest Gump
Director:Robert Zemeckis
Reason:Funny, sad, touching, excellent soundtrack and just a very good movie

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

It is a drama. Isn't it? I have seen the movie several times and it is safe to say that it is leaning more towards drama than comedy.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Film:SUPER
Director:James Gunn
Reason:What if the hero is the bad guy? This premise makes SUPER one of the most intriguing, captivating films I've ever seen. Taking a realistic look at what would happen if a man truly tried to become a super-hero, this movie paints a picture of a deeply flawed, unbalanced man. Frank D'Arbo, played by Rainn Wilson, is not the usual action hero who makes witty one liners. He is overwieght, inarticulate and borderline schizophrenic. His alter ego, The Crimson Bolt, is not borne from a hatred of societal ills, but is instead inspired by a toxic concoction of being left by his wife and a deep-rooted Messiah complex. It is a commanding, stunning performance and with a solid supporting cast including the likes of Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon and Ellen Page I believe this movie will grow in popularity and esteem as the years go by.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:02 PM Edited by Butters 2011, 15 April 2012 - 11:30 PM.

Film:The Green Mile
Director:*insert director*
Reason:Such a powerful story, showing the massive differences between good & evil within mankind. I watched the film before reading the book, and the way the story played out was fantastic, but such a sad ending.
Genre:Drama?
Film:Reservoir Dogs
Director:Tarantino
Reason:I love Tarantino's way of playing stories in a different way, rather than just A-B, and this didn't dissapoint. The fact that the mnajority of the film was set within one location, yet manages to keep you enthralled, is another reason.
Year:1992
Film:IT
Director:----
Reason:Although the book is much better at getting the full story across, the film still does a great job. How much innocence can quickly change amongst an average group of friends, and how much their lives are changed forever.
Year:----
Genre:Horror
Film:Kick-Ass
Reason:Some people may disagree, but I have to say that this is one of the best 'superhero' films I have ever watched. Excellent blend of comedy and serious action!
Genre:----
Film:----
Reason:----
Genre:----
*Please excuse the blank spaces and rather bland descriptions - this internet connection is sh*t. Just wanted to nominate these films...will add my last 3 if I get chance. blush.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Film:The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Director:Ken Loach
Reason:A brutal film. Thoughful, smart and deeply moving yet painful to watch
Year:2006
Genre:War

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:22 AM Edited by ThaBoY, 14 April 2012 - 01:26 AM.

Film:District 13: Ultimatum
Director:Patrick Alessandrin
Reason:It's a great movie.
Even though it's a french movie (the french name is "Banlieu 13: Ultimatum") it has a great story.
I've no words for it, it's just awesome.
Genre:Action

Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

Film:Scarface
Director:Brian De Palma
Reason:Honestly do I need a reason? One of the best films from the 80's. Awesome story!
Year:1983
Genre:Crime Drama

Cuban Warlord
  • Cuban Warlord

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:28 PM Edited by Cuban Warlord, 14 April 2012 - 09:34 PM.

Film:American History X
Director:Tony Kaye
Reason:Very good movie, with a strong message.

Film:6th Sense
Director:M. Night Shyamalan
Reason:Good storyline with a great conclusion.
Genre:Thriller

Film:Saving Private Ryan
Director:Steven Spielberg
Reason:Very good movie about the invasion of Normandy and D-Day.
Genre:Historical

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Film:Scott Pilgrim VS The World
Director:Edgar Wright
Reason:Every gamer out there should love this movie. It's a great film with a admiring retro style to it. The visuals are top notch as it immerses you into this reality 8-Bit world. It's just a brilliant fun film to watch it through. The soundtrack is pretty cool too with it's emphasis on Indie Rock.

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

guys hoo do you write like that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users