Photo

Stealth in GTA San Andreas?

14 replies to this topic
Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hello. I am aware that stealth is possible in certain missions in SA. But after the first stealth mission you do, ("Madd Dogg's Rhymes") a hintbox comes up that states that you can use stealth outside of missions against gang members and the police. I cannot seem to find any shadow areas in the map outside of missions and it also doesn't seem possible to take on gangs and etc with stealth either. Any of you manage to find a way to use stealth outside of missions in SA?

Buffalo Soldier
  • Buffalo Soldier

The Man Himself.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

All that really means, is that you can use the knife in the same way you can in Madd Dogg's Rhymes - so just crouch and creep up behind any pedestrian or gang member, and press O [assuming you're on PS2] and you'll be able to perform a stealth attack by slitting their throat.

Other than that, I don't think there's any other way.

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Buffalo Soldier @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 10:14)
All that really means, is that you can use the knife in the same way you can in Madd Dogg's Rhymes - so just crouch and creep up behind any pedestrian or gang member, and press O [assuming you're on PS2] and you'll be able to perform a stealth attack by slitting their throat.

Other than that, I don't think there's any other way.

Well that's pretty misleading on Rockstar's behalf. confused.gif I knew you can simply perform the Hasty execution with the knife from Manhunt, but I thought that it meant that it is possible to hide in shadows, creep up on people etc etc outside of missions. Too bad, doing Gang Wars Manhunt style would be too good to be true tounge2.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:25 AM Edited by lil weasel, 09 April 2012 - 11:29 AM.

Gang Wars are best done with the M4, Desert Eagle, and Molotov Cocktails when CJ is fireproof.
Crouching in shadows can help CJ to lose Wanted Stars.
This also a Lesson that just because the Game says to do something in certain way you can use alternate means (weapons/vehicles) to complete many of them.
The Game Lies, so don't believe 'everything' it suggests. Like takeing the Silenced-Pistol in Rhymes. I found the Desert Eagle early in the game down by docks/bearch and use it except when the game Forces other pistols on me. (With skill raised One Shot One Kill is much more efective at range.)

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 11:25)
Gang Wars are best done with the M4, Desert Eagle, and Molotov Cocktails when CJ is fireproof.
Crouching in shadows can help CJ to lose Wanted Stars.
This also a Lesson that just because the Game says to do something in certain way you can use alternate means (weapons/vehicles) to complete many of them.
The Game Lies, so don't believe 'everything' it suggests. Like takeing the Silenced-Pistol in Rhymes. I found the Desert Eagle early in the game down by docks/bearch and use it except when the game Forces other pistols on me. (With skill raised One Shot One Kill is much more efective at range.)

I know all this. I just said that it would be great to be able to tackle gang wars using stealth, as I have already played the hell out of Manhunt and I'm not touching that Splinter Cell crap. And yeah, GTA games do lie sometimes tounge.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

You've peeked my interest.
How does using stealth take out a banzai mob of seven to fourtenn foes?

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

That would be damn hard taking on gang waves armed with just a knife! Would have been a cool mission though, the gang comes looking for you and you have to use alley ways to hide in and each gang member is placed standing at the end of alleyways so you have to sneak up and stab them. If you accidentally use a gun then all gang members leave their positions and come running for you and they are armed with AKs which makes it hard to finish

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:58 AM Edited by Rerxelend, 14 April 2012 - 08:02 AM.

lil weasel, a game doesn't have to be realistic. It doesn't matter if it isn't plausible in real life. Secondly, why don't you play through Rockstar's Manhunt, then you'll see what I mean. Or at least watch some gameplay of it. Very good stealth game by Rockstar North. And seven to fourteen foes is nothing. The amount of enemies you have to take on in Manhunt using stealth is a lot more. Ask me if you want a Youtube link to a video of one of the more difficult missions in Manhunt wink.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

I don't expect realistic action. My query is how does stealth take on a mob attack? Are we using different definations of 'stealth'?
I use it as meaning: to sneak in and steal something without detection. Or to quietly and quickly dispatch a foe, again without detection.
Do I understand you want something akin to "Kill Bob" 'ninja' ability?

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Apr 14 2012, 08:14)
I don't expect realistic action. My query is how does stealth take on a mob attack? Are we using different definations of 'stealth'?
I use it as meaning: to sneak in and steal something without detection. Or to quietly and quickly dispatch a foe, again without detection.
Do I understand you want something akin to "Kill Bob" 'ninja' ability?

The way I see stealth, is hiding in shadows, hitting walls to lure in enemies, silently taking them out, hiding the bodies, etc etc. Pretty much what Manhunt is like.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

The tone and theme of the games appear to be at odds.
The playability of SA would be compromised if it had too much 'stealth' of that nature. I do find that what little stealth in the SA doesn't appear consistent even within the SA parameters.
The Silenced pistol only appears to be 'silenced' during the 'required' missions. On the street it attracts just as much attention (police) as any other weapon. By-the-way for those who have never used one: It doesn't go ‘Phist’. It makes the metallic clatter of 'jacking' a round into the chamber. It also requires using 'sub-sonic' ammunition.

Still I would suppose a Mod could be created for a DYOM to exploit the 'stealth', but the lack of shadows in the Open terrain San Andreas would be a hinderence.

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Apr 14 2012, 08:47)
The tone and theme of the games appear to be at odds.
The playability of SA would be compromised if it had too much 'stealth' of that nature. I do find that what little stealth in the SA doesn't appear consistent even within the SA parameters.
The Silenced pistol only appears to be 'silenced' during the 'required' missions. On the street it attracts just as much attention (police) as any other weapon. By-the-way for those who have never used one: It doesn't go ‘Phist’. It makes the metallic clatter of 'jacking' a round into the chamber. It also requires using 'sub-sonic' ammunition.

Still I would suppose a Mod could be created for a DYOM to exploit the 'stealth', but the lack of shadows in the Open terrain San Andreas would be a hinderence.

Yeah. I mean, it would be nice to be able use stealth for more than the few missions which actually require it. The silenced pistol thing is just lazy though. They might as well have removed it and only keep the 9mm and the desert eagle, as outside of missions, the silenced pistol is simply a cheaper alternative to the desert eagle, with a bit less damage. And I do agree that too much stealth would compromise SA, but as you said, a little consistency with the stealth game mechanic would have been good.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:10 PM Edited by lil weasel, 14 April 2012 - 02:15 PM.

Please, it isn't necessary to Quote unanswered postings immediately previous to yours, especially large ones. Please, use the Add-Reply or Fast-reply buttons at the bottom of the page.

It would have been a little better if the Silenced Pistol would, on auto-aim, select the head as target.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Apr 14 2012, 14:10)

It would have been a little better if the Silenced Pistol would, on auto-aim, select the head as target.

On Ps2 auto aim it selects their head

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Only when you are very close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users