Official Alternative Rock Topic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic
austinkopeck
  • austinkopeck

Meth Cook

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

This is just a topic i started to talk about alternative from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Sorry if there is already an Alternative Rock topic, I am using my phone, and the search option doesn't work on my phone. Anyways, I just heard some songs from Jane's Addiction's new album "The Great Escape Artist." Have any of you heard anything from this album yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

We do have a 90s thread, but Alt Rock and Indie rock are similar in the modern aspect. If you consider the Seattle Grunge movement, I did check out Nirvana, that lead into Smells like Teen Spirit is actually very catchy and the band proved to have staying power
I was more a fan of Pearl Jam however, Ten and everything after that felt more like an actual ROCK record, but they did tend to lose that
How about Blind Melon as well? The link to Guns and Roses helped them out

austinkopeck
  • austinkopeck

Meth Cook

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

I agree with most of the stuff you said, but I liked Nirvana a little bit better than Pearl Jam. If you dont agree with me, I understand why, but I just think Nirvana is just that small bit better than Pearl Jam.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I was opposed to that scene with good reason though, it infringed upon the dominant Hard Rock and Metal scene, and it was not sitting well with many people! I knew musicians back then and was going to a lot of shows in the 80-90 period

The problem was that it became a bit too corporate, flavor of the month became THE major scene and the other genre and scenes struggled. As you may know, 2005 is a cut off for many great bands and outlets from then on, as corporate marketing took over I felt. There just should have been less of a struggle to find what you like out there

austinkopeck
  • austinkopeck

Meth Cook

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yeah, most "alternative" now is just that crappy poser "punk" sh*t that's always on the radio. It all sounds the same to me, and I can't tell the difference between any of them... All Time Low sounds just like Hot Shell Ray, which sounds like every other fake ass "pop punk" bands on pop radio today... it's pure sh*t and I don't understand how that stuff is popular.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well, we do have an Alt music thread already that needs some love. I'd ask relocating discussion there so we can keep things tidy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users