so a bum asks you for money.

93 replies to this topic
vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 10:25)
Instead of giving them change, I prefer using that change to buy them stuff like a bottle of water or a sandwich.

Same.

So I know that money didn't go to alcohol or drugs.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

With the previous post i have a story of giving money to a homeless man. He asked me and a girl i know kindly for some some, and he had an exact amount of money still missing. Because he seemed kind and used the word please, we gave him the money generously and asked then if his gonna buy food or alcohol. He said he doesn't touch that stuff...well we believed him anyway and after a goodbye from the bum we walked away.

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I sometimes will put some coins in a person's hat or guitar case if they are playing music, but I don't just give it to someone asking for it. It must be embarrassing and degrading to have to beg for money like that, and I do try to look them in the eye and say "sorry I haven't got any" rather than just blanking them like they don't exist.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:32 PM Edited by trip, 09 April 2012 - 05:01 PM.

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 12:10)
I sometimes will put some coins in a person's hat or guitar case if they are playing music, but I don't just give it to someone asking for it.

This.

I will always toss a buck into a street musicians hat/case.

Because I've worked in center city most of my life I am very jaded towards the pan handlers. I know most of them and most of them know me - so they don't even ask me. It's funny when one doesn't know me and starts their bit "Hey I just got out of jail and need $3.50 to catch the bus back to Noristown" and crap like that.

There are a few (down and out) Vietnam vets that I don't mind giving a few dollars to. Those guys are cool though and are not in your face begging.

*edit:
forgot an important word.

T.Rez
  • T.Rez

NIN

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

user posted image

I need about tree fiddy

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 15:22)
QUOTE (Dr. John13 @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 20:43)
I always wonder why do beggers even come in trains? Some look seriously retarded (The real meaning) and some don't and I always feel upset when someone doesn't gives them money. Yes, what Girish said is true but it makes us look like evil. sad.gif

There's nothing evil or wrong about not wanting to give away your hard earned money for free to people who are poor out of choice and not out of helplessness. They don't deserve it and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

I'm perfectly fine with giving some money to handicapped people who are incapable of physical labor but if you have two working hands, you don't have to beg.

This is so true.

If I were homeless, I would build a house in a forest, next to a river. With wood from the forest. Learn to fish and hunt, grow some veg, prepare fire wood etc etc.

Then you wouldnt be homeless.

Anyways, there's housing schemes and jobseekers allowance entitled to all homeless. So it is purely there choice to live in the streets. f*cking slackers. I don't mind giving some waste food, but money, no chance. I do 50+ hours nightshift to earn cash.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 15:28)
Instead of giving them change, I prefer using that change to buy them stuff like a bottle of water or a sandwich.

Same.

The money would've gone to alcohol or drugs regardless ph34r.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Easy in my case, I tell him I'm needing money as much as he is, I have less then a dollar now!

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Last summer some lady asked for change to get a sandwich at Subway. She sounded like she had dry throt so it was hrd to understand what she was saying. I asked if she needed a drink. She replied with "A drink..? No.. but I do drink often!" dozingoff.gif

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

In assasins creed i pushed a bum outta the way and she hit one of those wood platforms and it collspsed on her i laughed but got introuble with the guards.

Coin coin. sad.gif

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 16:28)

Same.

I'd rather use my money to buy myself a sandwich or a drink. biggrin.gif

Sounds cruel but if you have earned it/got given it, it should be yours to spend on yourself or on friends and family; not some random guy who thinks he is entitled to it. I know its not always their fault that they're homeless or in that situation, but that is how I see it. Probably not the best way but that's just me.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

I check for Breast Cancer. Call me.

• United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Some of the homeless in Indianapolis make more money per week than a person working 40 hours a week at $10.00 by begging. It's pretty f*cked UP.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

If theres a dog with him, yes. if he's got a child, no. I'm not supporting his crack babies' addiction.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 07:59)
QUOTE (Sauron @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 04:50)
QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 15:40)
Giving money to someone who obviously failed at life in the first place is not a sound investment! They obviously couldn't manage money correctly in the first place. If you want to help them then make donations to the various homeless shelters at least then you know for sure that the money is being well spent.

Because managing money correctly is the sole reason people become homeless....

Yes i realize that there are some very tragic storys of people that become homeless, but the main problem a homless person has is the fact he or she is homeless. Giving money for food or buying food is not the Answer as they remain homeless the Least youcan do is contribute to the shelters andPut a roof over there head 4nights aweek and havethe shelter feed them.

The more money you give the more chance the shelter has of having an open bed for them.

Are you lacking basic common sense? We all need food to survive. Maybe if they had food, they'll have enough energy to get back to where they once was again. You can't just let them stay malnourished just because you think they'll still be homeless.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

I don't give the homeless money, instead I tend to give them food if I have any on me. If they are actually homeless and they can't get anything to eat then they will accept the food. If they don't accept the food then you know that they aren't homeless, or they were just going to use that money for drugs or alcohol.

Legacy-666_
  • Legacy-666_

Get the Gun,Get the Gun,shoot,shoot,shoot

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

A homeless women once asked me for some money for food. Instead of giving her money I handed her an apple which I had in my bag. she threw it at me and told me to go %^#% myself.
Another time I was on the last day of a holiday to the states. I had saved all the loose change (honestly why do you need 1 cent pieces?) and gave it to a homeless guy asking for money. He was really greatful and replied with "god bless you". It made me feel rather good. Later I saw him at McDonalds tipping the bag of coins I'd given him on the counter with a huge grin on his face.

tomtom555
  • tomtom555

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

"Excuse me, you don't have 50p so I can make a quick phone call do you?"

I've been asked this by the same goddamn cross-eyed bum countless times and I've witnessed him ask other people one after the other while I've been out in my town centre. I'm surprised he doesn't remember encountering me as much as I do him.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

In Indonesia, some homeless people prefer to go inside cheap diners, sing a song to get their money.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 08:22)
if you have two working hands, you don't have to beg.

that's not true.
this statement belies the reality of the issue and your own ignorance.

there are many homeless / jobless people who have 2 perfectly working hands and legs.
in fact their entire body works just fine.

their inability to hold a job or maintain their finances is a problem that you can't see with your eyes.
it's in their head, in their mind.

there are many people who slip through the cracks of the mental health care system because their psychosis is not severe enough to warrant forced hospitalization but enough to hold them back from carrying out normal social responsibilities and dependencies. I never presume to judge someone who is willing to publicly humiliate themselves by begging on the side of the road. just because someone isn't in a wheelchair or on crutches doesn't mean they're perfectly well and capable of working.

I've read too many articles on homelessness to just assume that there's nothing wrong with a guy who is capable of holding a sign.
the majority of homeless beggars suffer from undiagnosed mental disorders which betray their otherwise healthy / functioning hands and feet.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

It's really depends on the bums and their honesty. I prefer honest person saying that he needs cash for "good, cheap, polish wine" or some money for train or bus ticket, because he is broke and can't get back to home, than some romanians crying that they need cash for milk to feed their babies, when there is their guardian sitting in BMW parked two streets away and waiting for money.

I prefer honest people, because I can understand it must be really hard to come up to some totally random guy on the street and ask for some spare. Crying and moaning beggers are nothing more than actors that learned their role and try to snatch some of your money. Some of these romanian women even got dolls instead of real babies or using the same baby or child over and over... How I am suppose to believe them?

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

I have given a couple of beggers money a time or two, but it depends on the situation. Sometimes they just look generally run down and like they need a pick me up. I couldn't really care less if it was to get high, I don't really feel like that's the worse thing in the world for a person to be able to get a little bit of a fix. I think in a lot of cases it's almost cruel not to just give them something because you know they're really fiening and are going to be sick if they don't get something.

There are some people though that you can kind of tell don't really need to be out there begging. One time I have given these type of people some food just to see... One guy, I gave him a slice of pizza and he like, scarfed it down like he hadn't eaten for weeks. Maybe he was just a good actor, but at least I felt like that guy was in legitimately bad shape.

On the other hand, I got off a bus one day and this young kid comes up talking to me about how he and his brother have been eating out of dumpsters for the last two days. It just happened that I had some beef jerkey and a candy bar, so I offered that to him. He took it, but he then continued asking other people, and I eventually followed him around his corner and saw him get into a car with a bunch of other people ,and I suspect they were just out trying to gather up as much cash as they could.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

Why are people complaining about Romanians begging for money? Are they really that bad?

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

I must drive through area's of my city that are run-down and have bums at literally each corner holding up signs just to get to work. I am a believer in karma, so I'll give bums money but only if I feel the urge to I never give the same bum money because then the next day I have to drive by 'em and they expecting me to give them some more money.

But what comes around goes around.

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

I show them my fat wallet and then I said, "go be poor somewhere else!"

Seriously though, I tend to just walk past and ignore them.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Havent read the replies, I usually give them a pretty straight answer - I only have my cards on me, no cash.. sorry.

3niX
  • 3niX

Lazy idiot

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Well...

I smile and say I dont have any cash (because I very rarely carry it). Its all about the plastic nowadays.
wink.gif

I have given money to "bums" I know though. And really, they werent bums but really hard working people.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Prankster

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

i never ever stop for bums... and if they ask me something i simply don't look at them until they go away

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

There was one dishevelled bum outside a McDonalds in London when I went, but I only had a 10 note. And I wasn't about to give that away... I needed my lunch.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm visiting India in June and my brother just got back from holiday in Mumbai and has talked to me on previous occasions about how many people tried to get his money. I was just wondering if this is actually true ? There are a few homeless people near to where I live and I'll always by them a sandwich or cornish pasty from the bakers. I have the feeling that some people will just want my money and not my generosity.

I do hope however, that this isn't the case but apparently my brother was approached by 4 people in the course of day and from his dress sense you wouldn't think he's got much money at all. Anyway what I'm asking is if their are alot of beggars that will ask me for cash is there anything I can do to test if they just want cash or want to fill the stomachs? I'd hate to feel guilty because I denied someone there right to a warm bed at a hotel or just to buy a sleeping bag by not lending them a few pounds.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I had a dream last night that I befriended a homeless man. I'm assuming it was because of this topic. lol.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users