197 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just the reviews now.

Oh and yes, let's hype it up; a day is not enough!

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 23:38)
Baz Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet

Get out.

It was a terrible movie. (A cool concept, yes, but a bad execution)

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 17:25)

Get out.

If thats the one set in modern times but retaining the language of shake-spear then that was very sh*tty.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 09:25)

Get out.

Lurhman's craftsmanship is a thing to behold. Add to that the frenetic late 90's stylistic trappings - I don't get what's not to enjoy. In fact, one could argue that the best thing about this film is its execution.

So you, sir, get the f*ck out. wink.gif

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I may be imprinting on the movie a bit of the bitterness I have for the amount of times my sister watched it (and consequently, made me watch it). She was a 13 year old girl when it was released and DiCaprio was in it, so you can imagine.

So. Many. God. Damn. Times.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Ah. I bet you harbor ill will towards The Island as well? tounge.gif

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you mean The Beach, seeing as it's another DiCaprio film from before he could act.

Yes. I hate that too. I am a bitter man tounge.gif .

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

God damn it, I really should have nominated Zodiac. I'm kicking myself right now. That movie was so beautiful in terms of its cinematography that it actually inspired me to go and see San Francisco.
Still, I look forward to debating this stuff with you guys. Just as long as some overrated, sci-fi crap doesn't make the final. I remember someone once accusing me of never having watched Blade Runner simply because I didn't like it. Hopefully this time we can avoid such pissy, immature slander. Though, looking at the reaction to my nomination of The Room that doesn't look likely.

a cactus
  • a cactus

king sh*t of f*ck mountain

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Apr 28 2012, 18:18)
seeing as it's another DiCaprio film from before he could act.

I take it you haven't seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape? wink.gif

QUOTE (Typhus @ Apr 28 2012, 19:29)
I remember someone once accusing me of never having watched Blade Runner simply because I didn't like it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know you don't like it if you haven't seen it? I too am very much looking forward to the discussions here, and especially to seeing many new films. I hope everyone can at least try to watch some a film being rallying for or against it.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

No, you misunderstand, I have seen it. I just hate it. And because I hate the movie some fool accused me of never having watched it at all.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 21:29)
God damn it, I really should have nominated Zodiac. I'm kicking myself right now. That movie was so beautiful in terms of its cinematography that it actually inspired me to go and see San Francisco.
Still, I look forward to debating this stuff with you guys. Just as long as some overrated, sci-fi crap doesn't make the final. I remember someone once accusing me of never having watched Blade Runner simply because I didn't like it. Hopefully this time we can avoid such pissy, immature slander. Though, looking at the reaction to my nomination of The Room that doesn't look likely.

Considering that you have to be immature in order to nominate The Room I wouldn't count on it. Here's an idea. Nominate Zodiac instead of The Room.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 11:29)
Just as long as some overrated, sci-fi crap doesn't make the final.

Like what, in particular? The Dark Knight? tounge.gif

@ Vanja, don't get pissy. At least wait until the voting starts, aye?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hipsters get on my nerves. Especially hipsters like Typhus who don't even realize they are hipsters.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Wait wait wait... Beverly Hills Cop 2 was nominated? Hahahaha, really? That's just so out of place.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:20 AM Edited by Typhus, 29 April 2012 - 12:22 AM.

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 00:13)
Hipsters get on my nerves. Especially hipsters like Typhus who don't even realize they are hipsters.

Why don't you grow up and stop being so damn hostile. You really get pissed off about a film nomination? That's what causes you annoyance? My, my, my, what a charmed life you must lead.
You better not start making these absurd personal attacks when it comes to actually debating the merits of each film. Just where the f*ck do you get off acting that way? Who do you think you are?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

It's not the film nomination that pisses me off. It's the fact that you think you can justify something that stupid. It doesn't matter if it's a film nomination or a plan for world domination using an army of hamsters or whatever. It's the stupidity of it that frustrates me.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 00:28)
It's not the film nomination that pisses me off. It's the fact that you think you can justify something that stupid. It doesn't matter if it's a film nomination or a plan for world domination using an army of hamsters or whatever. It's the stupidity of it that frustrates me.

My reasoning was completely sound and rational. What was it that you didn't understand about my thought process?
It is, by complete accident, one of the funniest movies ever made.
Just because the intent of the director was to make it a hard-hitting drama, it doesn't negate the fact that the acting, scripting and various other factors make it absolutely hilarious.
When you realise that Wiseau is basically casting himself as a lead player in a Christ analogy it just gets even funnier.

I thought about it long and hard and reasoned that the origins of comedy don't mean a damn thing, if it makes you laugh one can consider it a successful comedy. An old lady breaking her hip and hurtling down the stairs isn't MEANT to be funny, but play it to the Benny Hill theme, speed it up, post it on YouTube and watch how many people call it comedy gold.
It is a perfectly logical idea.

But that annoys you? That I have valid reasons?
Perhaps you would like it if I nominated Transformers and just 'did it for the lulz', as you once accused me of doing? Would that make you happier?

Because I think I'm starting to get it. You don't like my reasons because it makes it harder for you to judge me, right? You just want an excuse to pick on me and ridicule me and because I actually formed a coherent opinion on a movie that you think it sh*t, you hate me for it.

So perhaps I should reiterate my advice to you before. Grow up.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 02:36)
But that annoys you? That I have valid reasons?

The fact that you think you have valid reasons. It's a terrible movie. It's a blight on cinematography.

Perhaps you would like it if I nominated Transformers and just 'did it for the lulz', as you once accused me of doing? Would that make you happier?

No. It would probably make things worse.

Because I think I'm starting to get it. You don't like my reasons because it makes it harder for you to judge me, right?

Actually it makes it easier. You're a hipster. I get it.

You just want an excuse to pick on me and ridicule me and because I actually formed a coherent opinion on a movie that you think it sh*t, you hate me for it.

I don't hate you. And I don't draw any pleasure from "picking on you". I don't care that YOU nominated The Room. I would say the same thing no matter who nominated it. I'm not attacking you. I'm attacking your idea that The Room is a good movie. It just so happens that people are the ones who come up with ideas so it's not like I can completely separate the two.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Vanja - cut it out. You're being a prissy dick and really ruining the entire spirit of this thing.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Fine whatever.

So the voting starts tomorrow and we still don't have sigs? Those things are like ads. We need sigs that redirect to movies section of the forum. And if anyone decides to make some, for the love of god don't go to V section wearing one of those. The last thing this place needs is Slamman's version of children of the corn.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 13:19)
Wait wait wait... Beverly Hills Cop 2 was nominated? Hahahaha, really? That's just so out of place.

The list also has American Pie and Starship Troopers, I'm not surprised. At least vote for the first one, the only good one.

I'm thankful we didn't get a Fast and Furious.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 07:43)
QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 13:19)
Wait wait wait... Beverly Hills Cop 2  was nominated? Hahahaha, really? That's just so out of place.

The list also has American Pie and Starship Troopers, I'm not surprised. At least vote for the first one, the only good one.

I'm thankful we didn't get a Fast and Furious.

I respect people opinions and all but don't put American Pie and Starship Troopers on the same level. One is a very well written satire with great acting all around and genuinely full of of laugh out load moments. The other is about a guy f*cking a pie and loads of dick-jokes.

Still, got to respect other peoples decisions lol.gif

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Nah, you just have to tolerate them.

Jordy.
  • Jordy.

Matty?

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 00:51)
I'm not attacking you.

You called him a hipster and said hipsters get on your nerves.

:v

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

We should set a date for voting and get all the rules cleared up well before we start. Any suggestion for the former? May 4th?

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

May 4th sounds good.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I was kind of hoping for today! tounge.gif

Rules are simple. Challenges chosen at random. Members vote by posting in the topic clearly choosing their favorite and providing an argument in their first post the the thread.

...right?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I think it should be something of a challenge, people should clearly compare the films and provide knowledge of each one, explaining precisely why they enjoy one over another.
So just levelling trite criticisms at a movie by saying 'it's overrated' won't be enough.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 11:26)
I think it should be something of a challenge, people should clearly compare the films and provide knowledge of each one, explaining precisely why they enjoy one over another.
So just levelling trite criticisms at a movie by saying 'it's overrated' won't be enough.

I agree, but I think that's unfortunately not entirely possible. Who's going to judge what makes a compelling argument?

Like Appalachian farm girls, simpler is better.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 20:22)
I was kind of hoping for today! tounge.gif

Rules are simple. Challenges chosen at random. Members vote by posting in the topic clearly choosing their favorite and providing an argument in their first post the the thread.

...right?

Yep, pretty much.

I'll work on some sigs for all of the films.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users