197 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think this is how I am going to tackle this:
I'm going to keep the genre category, and now the subcategories that you just mentioned will be put in place: meaning that I will write a list down of all of the categories nominated, which includes the subcategories. You'll also get people who will just put "Drama" and "Sci-Fi", but what I think is best is that if that does happen; I'll Google what specific genre that film is. Then narrow that down to go head-to-head with a film of that subcategory. I think that works pretty well.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'd say it's better if we just do it randomly like before. You might end up comparing apples and oranges sometimes, but I know I like oranges more than apples. I did narrow down my genres as requested though.

I noticed when picking my nominations that Natalie Portman is in most of my favourite films. My obsession with her is obviously justified.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Randomly it is then.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Last time we got 2 nominations each. I'd think it would be best to keep to that. Otherwise people go mental and pick loads, the f*cker will never end. You're also forced to pick your choices more carefully.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 21:27)
Last time we got 2 nominations each. I'd think it would be best to keep to that. Otherwise people go mental and pick loads, the f*cker will never end. You're also forced to pick your choices more carefully.

It's up to the user whether he chooses 5 films or not, not everyone that has nominated some films so far has gone with all 5 options.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I nominated a film that many consider one of the worst ever made. But my logic is that it's so awful, it is actually a comedy gem. The awfulness really emerges from the intent, which was to create a serious drama. But it spawned something which has given a lot of people enjoyment since its release, I consider it one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
By that logic, could it be considered as a 'great' movie? I'm inclined to believe that it can. It wasn't a joke nomination, I really think that humour must be appreciated no matter what it springs from.

Just wanted you guys to know that I wasn't spamming and had legitimate reasons for the nomination smile.gif

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Reservoir Dogs

Forrest Gump

V For Vendetta

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 18:13)
Reservoir Dogs

Forrest Gump

V For Vendetta

If you're nominating movies, it goes in the other topic.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

No no. I read the OP. These are just some of my all time favourites.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

How's about letting written reviews count as 2 points in the poll? I'll be blurting out my thoughts on the movies just for kicks, but this might add extra incentive to get a discussion going. Plus, it'll lessen the power of stragglers who pop in to vote for a movie despite not having seen the opposition. I might just be taking this a bit too seriously. Any input on this?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing some new movies, that was the best part about the last contest. Forced me out of my comfort zone a few times, and I got to see classics I might have overlooked otherwise.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thought I'd give this a bump.

Nominate here:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=506585

We're about 48 films short.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'd just like to say that I agree with ShaneHunter.
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061237550

The Room shouldn't be nominated. It's a joke. We all know it. It has no place among the greatest films ever made. Nominating it just because you can is the same as doing something for "teh lulz". This isn't 4chan.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Somebody nominated American Pie for Christ's sake. There's a bunch of sh*tty noms. Here's the thing though - it's not "My Top 100 Films 2012 Edition" or "Vanja's Top 100 Films 2012 Edition", it's "GTAForums' Top 100 Films 2012". sh*tty noms are bound to happen.

user posted image

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 16:21)
I'd just like to say that I agree with ShaneHunter.
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061237550

The Room shouldn't be nominated. It's a joke. We all know it. It has no place among the greatest films ever made. Nominating it just because you can is the same as doing something for "teh lulz". This isn't 4chan.

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061213383

Typhus stated a pretty solid reason why he nominated it. Fnorg summed it up tounge.gif .

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you read Typhus' post, it's clear that he thinks it a valid nomination. Hell, he went out of his way to clarify that.

If American Pie can stay, so can The Room, as far as I'm concerned.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:48 PM Edited by ShaneHunter, 18 April 2012 - 05:58 PM.

thanks for backing me up gtavanja. in all honesty i can't see The Room and American Pie in there and Typhus doesn't know what he's talking about he puts down Apocalypse Now, John Lennon and he nominates The Room. All i'm saying is that theres two spots that can be filled by other more worthy noms, what if 100 movies get nominated and someone else comes up with 2 nominations of films that are far more worthy?? For example imagine that Casablanca wasn't nominated and that 100 films were nominated and two of the spots were taken by sh*tty movies like American Pie and The Room what will you do then Indie?? The reasons aren't valid enough imo you got to look at the quality of the movies themselves. I can post a crappy movie and state a reason i like it and then it'll get a spot on the list?? I know i sound naggy but it just doesn't sit right with me that The Room can get a spot just because Typhus finds it unintentionally humerous.

EDIT: I was wondering why my signature is disabled???

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:53 PM Edited by Indi, 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM.

If remove American Pie and only keep "critically-acclaimed" movies that have been talked about as the greatest movies of all time then that makes me look like a pompous c*nt and will end up with arguments on why The Room and American Pie can't be nominated by the people who did nominate them. I know it's gonna be me who's gonna end up getting shouted at if I purposely remove films that are not considered to be the greatest of all time.

It's their choice, not mine, I don't have anything to do with the nominations; I just manage this event. If Typhus wants to change his nomination after reading this then he can go right ahead, but I'm not forcing him to change it wink.gif . Nor am I forcing the person who nominated AP. I'm still tempted to do genres to be honest, I don't know.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Indi @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 17:53)
If remove American Pie and only keep "critically-acclaimed" movies that have been talked about as the greatest movies of all time then that makes me look like a pompous c*nt and will end up with arguments on why The Room and American Pie can't be nominated by the people who did nominate them. I know it's gonna be me who's gonna end up getting shouted at if I purposely remove films that are not considered to be the greatest of all time.

It's their choice, not mine, I don't have anything to do with the nominations; I just manage this event. If Typhus wants to change his nomination after reading this then he can go right ahead, but I'm not forcing him to change it wink.gif . Nor am I forcing the person who nominated AP. I'm still tempted to do genres to be honest, I don't know.

I'm just saying Indi before you post the movie you should look at the quality and see if the argument actually holds water rather than just if the person likes it, they should actually state why it should be considered one of the 100 films based on the quality. Honestly i can live with American Pie because the reason given is much more legitimate than that of The Room, that movie is just horrid and yes i agree that it is unintentionally funny but its at the expense at the makers of the film so it shouldn't be positive for the film.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (ShaneHunter @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 19:22)
Honestly i can live with American Pie because the reason given is much more legitimate than that of The Room

That is just not true at all.

Once again, it's not "GTAForums' Top 100 Critically Acclaimed Films With Essays For Reasons For their Nominations 2012 Edition" it's "GTAForums Top 100 Films 2012 Edition". Somebody from GTAF nominated those films, and wrote a little blurb about why. It's solid.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Another thing - this is better the faster it goes. The sooner we get to 100 noms, the sooner we can get to the fun part!

I don't care if someone nominates Babe 2: A Pig in the City

Vanja, I think you've mistaken Typhus' intention, or didn't read his argument. He didn't nominate it 'for the lullz' - the film has a very devoted cult following. Compare it to Rocky Horror Picture Show or even Evil Dead. A film that's greatness goes far beyond its essence.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 18:39)
Another thing - this is better the faster it goes. The sooner we get to 100 noms, the sooner we can get to the fun part!

I don't care if someone nominates Babe 2: A Pig in the City

Vanja, I think you've mistaken Typhus' intention, or didn't read his argument. He didn't nominate it 'for the lullz' - the film has a very devoted cult following. Compare it to Rocky Horror Picture Show or even Evil Dead. A film that's greatness goes far beyond its essence.

In all honesty Otter the only reason i am not going to argue with you is because of your signature... it is hunkiness personified :L but oh well lets keep going on until we get to the fun part like you said Otter lets just hope that Raging Bull and Deliverance wink.gif get nominated

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 20:39)
the film has a very devoted cult following.

So does Chuck Norris. It doesn't mean he's actually the strongest person in the universe. The Room cult started as a joke. It is still a joke. Everyone knows it's one of the worst movies in the world.

But it doesn't matter. Fnorg made a valid point.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (ShaneHunter @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 17:48)
thanks for backing me up gtavanja. in all honesty i can't see The Room and American Pie in there and Typhus doesn't know what he's talking about he puts down Apocalypse Now, John Lennon and he nominates The Room.

So...your approach is to insult me? You don't try to change my mind by sound reasoning, logic or mature debate. But by insulting me?
Okay, well, let me enlighten you on a few issues my dear, dear little boy. Apocalypse Now was a pretentious, self-indulgent pile of moose faeces. John Lennon was a fascist. And The Room is perhaps the greatest comedy ever filmed.
So grow up, be quiet and apologise.
Apologise, accept that I am right, and maybe, just maybe I'll humour your infantile, mundane little rantings and you can shuffle back into whatever obscure little grotto you crawled out from.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

You are a weird man Typhus. But don't ever change.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

typhus your just misinformed and you don't know nothing. Apocalypse Now isn't pretentious in the contrary it might be the greatest war film of all time. You nominate The Room and put down Apocalypse Now?? That one sentence speaks a thousand words. You don't understand John Lennon at all, he was a complicated person and first off he wasn't supporting the Soviet Union like you stated, he wasn't a communist he even said that in many interviews that he believed in peaceful revolution not violent (which is the route many communist countries went.) The US has and had many things wrong with it and Lennon was right in everything he pointed out. He believed in love not war. Just listen to Imagine, he is putting religion down for the reasons i stated in the other John Lennon thread. Oh how misinformed you are my 'dear' Typhus.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

American Pie and The Room?

What's next? Fast and Furious?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (ShaneHunter @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:51)
typhus your just misinformed and you don't know nothing. Apocalypse Now isn't pretentious in the contrary it might be the greatest war film of all time. You nominate The Room and put down Apocalypse Now?? That one sentence speaks a thousand words. You don't understand John Lennon at all, he was a complicated person and first off he wasn't supporting the Soviet Union like you stated, he wasn't a communist he even said that in many interviews that he believed in peaceful revolution not violent (which is the route many communist countries went.) The US has and had many things wrong with it and Lennon was right in everything he pointed out. He believed in love not war. Just listen to Imagine, he is putting religion down for the reasons i stated in the other John Lennon thread. Oh how misinformed you are my 'dear' Typhus.

Why are you even trying. If I remember correctly Typhus once called himself a sociopath. If that's really the case, he can't be reasoned with.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:36 PM Edited by ShaneHunter, 19 April 2012 - 02:45 PM.

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 10:17)
QUOTE (ShaneHunter @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:51)
typhus your just misinformed and you don't know nothing.  Apocalypse Now isn't pretentious in the contrary it might be the greatest war film of all time. You nominate The Room and put down Apocalypse Now?? That one sentence speaks a thousand words. You don't understand John Lennon at all, he was a complicated person and first off he wasn't supporting the Soviet Union like you stated, he wasn't a communist he even said that in many interviews that he believed in peaceful revolution not violent (which is the route many communist countries went.) The US has and had many things wrong with it and Lennon was right in everything he pointed out. He believed in love not war. Just listen to Imagine, he is putting religion down for the reasons i stated in the other John Lennon thread. Oh how misinformed you are my 'dear' Typhus.

Why are you even trying. If I remember correctly Typhus once called himself a sociopath. If that's really the case, he can't be reasoned with.

He has some sort of twisted view on things confused.gif He belongs to the stormfront forums where he can relate to the other nuts.

ShaneHunter
  • ShaneHunter

The Boss

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

indi i know im becoming a pain in the ass but could you change Goodfellas genre into Crime Drama?? It is more that than straight action if you know what i mean.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 11:00)
QUOTE (Otter @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 20:39)
the film has a very devoted cult following.

So does Chuck Norris. It doesn't mean he's actually the strongest person in the universe. The Room cult started as a joke. It is still a joke. Everyone knows it's one of the worst movies in the world.

But it doesn't matter. Fnorg made a valid point.

Late to the reaction party here, but "strongest man in the universe" is not measured by audience appeal. Films are, if not exclusively.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users