Photo

GTAForums Top 100 Films 2013 Edition

197 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:13 PM Edited by Indi, 17 July 2013 - 07:08 AM.

user posted image

Thanks to Narcis_speed6 for the logo.

Information:
• What's this all about?
It's where all members of GTAForums can come together and discuss their favourite types of movies, films and even actors; what made the film the most important to you. Whether it was an actor's performance, the story, the setting. Any of these factors can come together to nominate one of your favourite movies. papanesta was the first guy to do this, it was really fun and it did bring movie goers into this forum.

• Has it been done before?
Yes I hope to now fully complete a list that comprises of more diverse films; I would like foreign films and even silent films to be nominated. Any type of film that you feel is great or different. NOMINATE IT. It doesn't have to be from Hollywood.

• Why do it again?
Well one of the reasons was above, but films come and go, and a lot of films have come out of Hollywood within the last 2 years (Hugo, Drive and The Artist to name a few).

• How will films be decided?
128 films will be nominated. 128 will be divided by two so this makes 64 films posted in the first round, then 32 films in the second round, then 16 films in the third round, then 8 films in the fourth round, then 4 films in the fifth round and then finally 2 films in the sixth and final round and the most voted wins.

Films will be voted on via polls.

• How will films be decided for the actual voting process?
The list will be compiled into this here list generator and I'll pick out the movies that the list has generated.

• How long is voting open for?
Each round will be open for about a week or two I would say.

• One round ends, another starts. But when?
Hopefully immediately after a round finishes. The votes have to be counted up first, though.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

The last one was completed. Apocalypse Now came first.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

For me, being my age, James Bonds I recall fondly from my youth, as well as Terminator, later in 84, Die Hard series mentioned I think most peeps here love.
Ronin, HEAT, for example, that I can think of to add

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

For now I'd just like to nominate Pulp Fiction. I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 06:54)

What a terrible, terrible choice.
It's just a laboured, incoherent cesspit of a movie. In no way deserving of the top spot.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 07:54)

Didn't know that.

I think it's a good thing to do again so we'll see how it goes smile.gif .

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Just a thought, but maybe do a different take on this instead of just having another clusterf*ck of films like last time? I was thinking maybe go by decade, country/region, etc. (I don't think genre would work too well because a lot of debate could arise over which genre a particular film belongs to). Or maybe just do a top ## films of the 21st Century, then do the same for the 20th Century?

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

I didn't know sh*t about movies back on the last go. I remember nominating Layer Cake, haha. It's an alright film but I've no idea how I thought it was good enough for that.

But for real, if Eternal Sunshine doesn't feature somewhere someone's gonna get a slap.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 17:51)
QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 06:54)

What a terrible, terrible choice.
It's just a laboured, incoherent cesspit of a movie. In no way deserving of the top spot.

Finally, someone else who agrees with me. I hated this movie and nor would I recommend it to anyone. In fact, I will deter them from doing so.

I'm nominating Reservoir Dogs
The writing and the acting blows me away every time I watch it.

Why I no longer tip:

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

I can't even remember if I voted last year. If I did then it probably would have been for my usual choice (The Godfather), but I have since watched a helluva lot of films so, new nominees possibly. wink.gif

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (AlexGTAGamer @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 15:23)
I can't even remember if I voted last year. If I did then it probably would have been for my usual choice (The Godfather), but I have since watched a helluva lot of films so, new nominees possibly.  wink.gif

I lost all interest when The Dark Knight was knocked out of the running.
But now I'm really savouring the chance to debate the movies with you guys, I love my films and want to be a director, or scriptwriter.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

I did watch The Dark Knight, I can't see it as that much better then any other Batman film though, I'm not fond of comic books though, and I know some of you younger guys like them, probably really enjoy the TV series Comic Book Men, but to me, it's boring! haha

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:48 PM Edited by Otter, 09 April 2012 - 05:00 PM.

I think this is awesome if you promise to lead it all the way through, indi. Unlike Xcomm, I'm all for another "clusterf*ck" because that's where all the decent conversation came from.

I'll nominate a few:

Jurassic Park
Brazil
Le Voyage Dans le Lune
Dazed and Confused
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Shotgun Stories

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ddin't take part at all last time because I also knew nothing about films. I think No Country for Old Men is a deserving nomination.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 15:11)
Just a thought, but maybe do a different take on this instead of just having another clusterf*ck of films like last time? I was thinking maybe go by decade, country/region, etc. (I don't think genre would work too well because a lot of debate could arise over which genre a particular film belongs to). Or maybe just do a top ## films of the 21st Century, then do the same for the 20th Century?

Decade, yes! 100 best movies of the 90's sounds like fun.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 14:11)
Just a thought, but maybe do a different take on this instead of just having another clusterf*ck of films like last time?  I was thinking maybe go by decade, country/region, etc. (I don't think genre would work too well because a lot of debate could arise over which genre a particular film belongs to).  Or maybe just do a top ## films of the 21st Century, then do the same for the 20th Century?

Sounds quite good actuallly, maybe we could do a couple of things like that to keep the movie section of the forum quite active. But for now we'll focus on the best movies of all time.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Could I just nominate all of Richard Linklater and Darren Aronofsky's films at once? Both are great 21st century directors. I'd also be inclined to add The Machinist and Eternal Sunshine.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

For something like this, there's definitely bias through influence - people pick a choice and run with it due to what they feel it's contributed to film, or what it's done for them. One man's Collateral Damage is another man's Blade Runner.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'd like to nominate There Will Be Blood.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Can I just say that this isn't the nomination topic.

Since I see a lot of people now nominating.

I'll set one up right now. Be careful what you nominate though. I'll have to set a limit for about 5 films that people can nominate. Choose wisely.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

It all comes down to luck of the draw anyway, that's the only reason the results will differ this time around - different movies will be paired up. Imagine Apocalypse Now going up against The Godfather from the get-go. Bam, drastic list change right there despite nobody's opinion really changing. The more seen movie will win.

Last time, Lawrence of Arabia went up again 28 Days Later. What business do these two movies have going up against each other? Honestly, how is a fifty-year old epic supposed to stand a chance against a modern movie with zombies? You can't keep tabs on who's seen what, so you'll have people voting despite not having seen the competition. I'd much rather see a "Top 10 of the [decade]" or "Top 25 of [genre]" Movies than a scramble of the last list GTAF composed. It's more fair and diverse that way, and less random.

Of course, what I want most of all is for my favorite movie to not be f*cked up the ass with an unfair pairing. Everything else is secondary.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:18 PM Edited by Indi, 09 April 2012 - 06:22 PM.

I'm gonna have to put the films that have been nominated into a genre so the results will be fair this time around. For example like you said Gronf tounge.gif . 28 Days Later going up against Lawrence of Arabia are 2 completely different films; that's not justified and is not fair.

What I plan to do after this is done, is actually do what you and Xcomm said; a list of the greatest films of the 20th century, the 2000s e.t.c.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

It's ultimately your call since you're the one actually driving this forward. Don't be afraid to take suggestions into account, but don't do something you don't want to do. It shouldn't be a chore.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Fnorg @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 19:28)
It's ultimately your call since you're the one actually driving this forward. Don't be afraid to take suggestions into account, but don't do something you don't want to do. It shouldn't be a chore.

Yes, indeed. I'm for the idea of what you and Xcomm said though so I do plan on doing it biggrin.gif .

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I strongly disagree with genre separations - it was exactly those situations last time that led to great discussion. But I digress - your call, man. wink.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:07 PM Edited by Indi, 09 April 2012 - 07:29 PM.

QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 20:05)
I strongly disagree with genre separations - it was exactly those situations last time that led to great discussion.  But I digress - your call, man. wink.gif

If there is another way to make it fair, then please say so smile.gif . Films going up against different genres is sometimes very unfair. Sorry about stealing Leon from you Robinski tounge.gif , it's a damn good film.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Indi @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 11:07)
QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 20:05)
I strongly disagree with genre separations - it was exactly those situations last time that led to great discussion.  But I digress - your call, man. wink.gif

If there is another way to make it fair, then please say so smile.gif . Films going up against different genres is sometimes very unfair. Sorry about stealing Leon from you Robinski tounge.gif , it's a damn good film.

The entire contest, by nature, is unfair and subjective. That's rather the point, isn't it?

I think it should be random, head-to-head matches just like last time. And not polls - it should be posts with arguments counted only. I'd love an example of where two films head-to-head is really "unfair" - because I just don't see it. La Jette vs 101 Dalmations is just the kind of argument that internet forums were created for.

If you want it "fair," you should eliminate films that are unduly popular. Good luck sorting that out, though. tounge.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Otter makes some damn good points on it. To be honest I was for genre separation before reading his posts. Now, I just don't know. tounge.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

I think I'll keep the genres, but this time I do not think I will include polls. But, could you go a little more in depth with what your saying? La Jette is a Sci-Fi film and 101 Dalmations is more like a kids comedy. They're different.

I know you're never going to fully satisfy 100 percent of anyone that loves film; because everyone has different tastes. I must admit it is a tricky subject.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Indi @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 11:53)
They're different.

So is every film. No?

I mean, what genres are you thinking? Do you mean to tell me that La Jette is somehow better suited to go against Titan AE?

Drama, for instance. Is there going to be subcategories? Historical Drama? Biopic Historic Drama? Black Comedy? Stoner Comedy? Would love to see you justify Dr Strangelove V. Half Baked as somehow mre fitting a comparison than anything else.

And then that leads us to the end of the road - how are you going to tabulate this? Are you hoping, for every genre, to have a top 100?

Unduly confusing to no end other than letting The Dark Knight end up in the top ten "Comic Book Adaptations" genre listing. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users