Would this hard drive be acceptable?

8 replies to this topic
Oakshaft
  • Oakshaft

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

http://www.bestbuy.c...n/10157927.aspx

Im looking to buy a new hard drive since my last hard drive got corrupted and cant play any games without freezing, and I was wondering, would this hard drive be good to play the following games:

-Starcraft 2
-GTA IV
-Fallout 3
-Fallout New Vegas
-Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition (shut up its fun)
-The Sims 2 (Shut up.... its fun.... and no im not gay)
-Battlefield 3

My video card is an Nvidia something and my internet is Bell (most useless piece of sh*t in the world, i cant wait until my contract is finished on april 12th)

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Green drives are pretty slow, I'd advise you to get something faster, e.g.:
http://www.bestbuy.c...9b9e16f0d92en02
http://www.bestbuy.c...d29ebccb8bfen02

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

5400 will still do, but another thing to look at is the ".2, or .10" added to the RPM, indicating generation of said drive, of course, newer IS better in this regard. If you have the HDD content saved, but it's freezing as-is, reformat and try it anew

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Let's take a step back
You're current drive is corrupt. Are you sure it's the drive that's bad and not the OS or some background program that's causing the problem?

I just want to make sure you checked out the drive itself so you're not spending money on something you might not need.

I agree with yojo, you'll actually see a difference in OS and game load times between 5400RPM and 7200RPM. Plus the blue drive is the same size and less price. The only difference between the 2 is the buffer size, 32MB on the Green and 16MB on the Blue. If the drives were the same speed then that would be one thing, as it is I doubt you'd see a difference. Go with the Blue.
Just so you know, you can save another $5 getting the Blue drive at Newegg.ca or Amazon.ca

Oakshaft
  • Oakshaft

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

so whats the difference between a 32 and 16 buffer size?

And yeah its my hard drive, I thought it was the graphics card at first so I switched it out with my older one, same thing, so then I tried the hard drive and it was back to normal

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Larger cache the better so temporary data can be stored and quickly accessed instead of going back to the platters again.
Green drive has 32MB to make up for it's slower rpm while the Blue only has 16MB due to its higher RPM of 7200.
WD never stated its Green drive as 5400, they call it IntelliPower (previously Intelliseek), where it starts out at 5400 and can
spin up to 7200 depending on use.
WD Black are 7200 with 32MB cache
http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16822136795
I have a couple of green drives for storage,they run cool after long periods which is a good thing. and I use a WD Black as my main HDD.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Green drives are for storage
Blue/Black are for OS.

Get a 7200RPM drive. Its actually a pretty big difference.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Mechanical hard drives are slow enough as they are, hell they're usually the biggest bottleneck in most systems. Going with a Green (i.e. 5400 RPM drive) is only going to make the typically slowest component in a system, even slower and you don't want this since it will severely affect your performance.

Higher the RPM better (7200 RPM minimum), also go for the highest cache possible and lowest access times as well as the lowest read/write times.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:12 PM Edited by Slamman, 09 April 2012 - 09:07 PM.

Since SCSI and 10,000 RPM, it's funny that the Raptors aren't seen more prevalently, or that 10,000 rpm isn't somehow a standard speed, but some of those ASUS ROG machines are using 5400 rpm drives! There's still room to upgrade, even if they're large capacity, they can be doing all their work "slowly"

WD Black are pretty dang expensive, and the 10,000 drives, when you find them, they can be as well. Also in my mention above, you may see the spec listing as 7200.2, or 7200.10, that POINT added accounts for the generation, or improved model with the same general spec RPM.

As far as getting an older PATA for example, a great many laptops maybe saving a 4200 RPM 2.5 drive, and called into continued service, I do this, so again, from my experience, I'm capping miniDV video RIGHT NOW using such a Hard Disk Drive and it is sadly 4200, but if it ain't broke, don't toss it out with the bathwater. I'm finding that it's working just fine for capturing from Firewire, but if you were using USB, even 2.0 and an external Movie cap device, you'd find it's requirements saying you need 5400 or better, and this is true for some years now, more then 5, in fact.
But I'm proving with my own captures that Firewire mating to such a drive are up to the task of capturing live video.
You'll see the results on my YouTube channel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users