Photo

The Titanic centennial

200 replies to this topic
Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 11:15)
When he started to sink? Cole Phelps gta, you never fail to illicit a chuckle from the GTAF community, I'm not being mean, I'm just saying it's hard to take you very seriously

The Titanic is a guy. buddhism teaches you the everything has a soul it's part of our belief. bored.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Over the midnite hour I believe is when it struck, taking 2 and half hours to sink. Cameron mentions the clocks on board being frozen in time, 2:20AM IIRC

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Guys if you where on the ship 100 years ago what would you do ? Try and save yourself or die to give other people a chance at surviving ?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Sad thing is the third class and even second class were held at bay while trying to evacuate those in 1st class, I believe.
Cameron is saying how this presents a microcosm of how we'd be dealing with something on a much larger scale, he's making a case that is presented in some other ways with other movies, like 2012 as a recent example

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'm actually kind of creeped out, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the ship sink at 5:20am (GMT) or 2:20am (-3 GMT in Atlantic Ocean)?
If so that means I woke up more or less at the exact moment 100 years ago to this day that the ship completely sunk this morning because for some reason I woke up suddenly in the night and when I checked my clock it was 5:20am. I thought "Cool, must be because I had my mind set on the event" but still, I find it strange that I would wake up at just around the exact time. Then again, I guess stranger things have happened.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 11:17)
Titanic indeed sunk actually about 6 hours ago by the correct, that is considering that its summer time.
The ship should certainly be discussed more about. Thats why i made this thread too.
@Linki, the piece you touched was the famout big piece. Once it indeed have white and black paint on, even the golden stripe. Now, because it was soaked in acid and whatever solutions to preserve it, the paint is gone. Byt today standards Titanic is still quite a large ship, but that only by lenght. Way shorter ships have more decks and are bigger by height.

In Camerons Final word, they had this theory or a question to everyone there. What would you do on the ship to save more people or to save the ship. Someone, i think Cameron or Ken offered the possibility to gather some men and build more lifeboats out of stuff from the ships interior. I have had that theory for a long time, nie to see someone else coming up with that. Can't say if they could have pulled something like that off.

To think there was so much history behind one piece of metal I touched. I feel like I'm apart of it's history in some way.

They should make a Titanic game where you have to escape in real time. There are dozens of endings, like Heavy Rain sort of.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Linki @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 12:20)
QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 11:17)
Titanic indeed sunk actually about 6 hours ago by the correct, that is considering that its summer time.
The ship should certainly be discussed more about. Thats why i made this thread too.
@Linki, the piece you touched was the famout big piece. Once it indeed have white and black paint on, even the golden stripe. Now, because it was soaked in acid and whatever solutions to preserve it, the paint is gone. Byt today standards Titanic is still quite a large ship, but that only by lenght. Way shorter ships have more decks and are bigger by height.

In Camerons Final word, they had this theory or a question to everyone there. What would you do on the ship to save more people or to save the ship. Someone, i think Cameron or Ken offered the possibility to gather some men and build more lifeboats out of stuff from the ships interior. I have had that theory for a long time, nie to see someone else coming up with that. Can't say if they could have pulled something like that off.

To think there was so much history behind one piece of metal I touched. I feel like I'm apart of it's history in some way.

They should make a Titanic game where you have to escape in real time. There are dozens of endings, like Heavy Rain sort of.

well you will be pleased to see the reinactment of it being built and who built it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:14 PM Edited by Slamman, 15 April 2012 - 06:17 PM.

I have MSNBC boot in my browser and they have yet another story on Titanic, anything new I come across, I'll share with people in this thread, so look for some edits

At 2:20 their time, I believe it had completely submerged, I can't recall what time it hit, but I believe it was still 11PM, before midnight

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

By ships time it hit iceberg at 11:40pm and sank 2:20am next day.

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Building new lifeboats is a good idea, although I suppose it would have been incredibly hard to actually do. They did throw lots of wood and other stuff that would float into the ocean though didn't they?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:29 PM Edited by Slamman, 15 April 2012 - 06:34 PM.

Not seen that said in a documentary, but they are saying that fashioning anything to keep out of the water, as dry as possible would be what saves lives, we know that

http://cosmiclog.msn...titanic-tragedy

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

THey are showing the J-Fellowes Titanic series riht now in my country. Am watching it and saying to myself - this is good. The CGI is incredibly good, i must say, better then Camerons Titanic. The plot is also very good.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

If by chance, the BBC radio segment is uploaded to YT, be sure to link us. It should be archived online, since it's not WW
Also, the comments in my news story center around this song;

http://www.encyclope...ly_titanic.html

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

THat radio footage can be found now on BBC radio 2 webpage too, go look.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

100 years later from the time of sinking I was listening to this;

Watched it for the first time in over 10 years on Wednesday and the part at 0:26 still gets me all these years later.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

^Same here. The film is important to me, because it was one of the first I saw at a cinema when I was about 2 or 3 years old. Whenever I try to remember watching it back then, I always see this image of looking up at the huge screen seeing this giant ship at night time. A very powerful and haunting image. I need to watch the film again.

XePoZuRe v16
  • XePoZuRe v16

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

On the 14th April, 1912, the Titanic sailed from Belfast to Cobh. Within that time, the Titanic tried to said to New York City, but hit an iceburg. I do feel sorry for the people that were left there by the rich, which took all the lifeboats. Many people tried to swim to somewhere, but ended up dying from the cold on the 15th April, 1912.

The Titanic sunk on the 15th April, 1912 2.20am.

Did anyone see the original Titanic, or the 3D version of it, Titanic 3D? It kind've like the story of the Titanic, well... it's mostly true. confused.gif

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (XePoZuRe v16 @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 15:15)
On the 14th April, 1912, the Titanic sailed from Belfast to Cobh. Within that time, the Titanic tried to said to New York City, but hit an iceburg. I do feel sorry for the people that were left there by the rich, which took all the lifeboats. Many people tried to swim to somewhere, but ended up dying from the cold on the 15th April, 1912.

There are errors there and not just writing errors but historical errors. Titanic, after exiting Belfast and finishing it's sea trials, made it ti Southampton, just before midnight of april 3rd. There she stayed till april 10th. On the days between 4th and 10th she was painted over once more with fresh paint and cargo and furniture was taken in. Titanic didn't try to make it to NY, it was her maint destination before returning to UK. After leaving Southampton on april 10th she headed to France, Cherbourg and then on the following day Ireland, Queenstown. Then she set sail to NY. On april 14th, 23:40 she hit and iceberg on the starboard side. She then took on water and sunk after 2h and 40min. People who didn't got a space in a lifeboat choose to die or try to save themselves. There was nowhere to swim there, a waste of energy too. If they did anything before freezing to death, they tried to cling on to something that was buoyant. Somewhere i read, that altough ships gathered there to search for bodies, some bodies washed up on the shores of Newfoundland or some other place. Also lots of debri.

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (XePoZuRe v16 @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 15:15)
On the 14th April, 1912, the Titanic sailed from Belfast to Cobh.

What?

It departed from Southampton on 10th April, stopping at Cherbourg, France the same day and then Queenstown, Ireland (now Cobh)on the 12th before heading to New York across the Atlantic. It never came close to Belfast.

I also doubt anyone tried to swim anywhere. They were in the middle of the freezing ocean, all they could do was tread water and grab onto anything buoyant whilst waiting for help to arrive. Unfortunately, for all except 4 men(one of which later died), that help never did arrive, as only one lifeboat returned and on top of that it waited for most of the people to die in order to prevent conflict with many eager passengers. Some who were in the water before the ship entirely sunk managed to swim to the lifeboats before they departed, but other than that, anyone who ended up in the water were left stranded, and nowhere that they could swim to. (I imagine it was too dark to see the lifeboats in the distance on top of it being too tiring anyway.)

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

So, according to a documentary I just watched on History. Titanic actually saved the life of the 700 people that could survive. Since it could stay stable for the boats to be used. Most ships turn over making most lifeboats impossible to use.

Interesting.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I remember reading an article that, they are going to rebuild a replica of the Titanic or was that a rumor?
There is a ship I mean boat called "Titanic II" and it too sunk on its maiden voyage.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Im not aware of another ship called titanic, i think your confusing the titanic 2 film with real life!

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Imagine seeing the Titanic up in the air, hearing all the screams. It seems almost mythical. Unbelievable.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 23:09)
Im not aware of another ship called titanic, i think your confusing the titanic 2 film with real life!

Titanic II was a terrible film, and it goes to show, I haven't seen a score on any movie review site that passes above 2/10 for that film. I like to call that movie "A cheap CGI tat attack."

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

I think that Titanic sinking in 1912 must have been like their version of 9/11. A really defining and significant event, with huge loss of life and which shook the world.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

There was a cable show all about nautical disasters in recent years, these were as harrowing as Titanic, but smaller scale and less people involved. It was a CAUGHT ON FILM show segment I believe airs on CNN. Anyone else catch it?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 22:09)

I'm not talking about that film Titanic II, there was a article saying the idea of rebuilding Titanic. Maybe it's just one of those
idea that never became a reality like Freedom ship or others out there.
http://www.titanic-t...a_titanic.shtml

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:28 AM Edited by Slamman, 17 April 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Knowing what we know now, I think if they did, it would avoid sinking again!
The ship segments I saw of late do show you how they've accomodated a large group of people on ships somewhat smaller in stature but still a lot of levels and wide
I'll see if there's an upload of the cruise ship they showed on TV the other night, the interviews with fearful survivors may be lacking, but one story is that the ship was listing on the side with the lifeboats and they were also not let out without some free-falling! SCARY!!

found ^ Associated videos look damn compelling as well, I'll put some in the videos topic

Back to Titanic, Watching the 05 footage, where the camera goes into underwater preserved rooms, we see the elegant work done for the rich aboard, but in preserving it, and leaving it where it lies, it's likely more will cave in any open areas inside the ship, or dissolve away so that nothing much is left to see that looks like the ship, in that way, if it's to stay where it lies, recreating something as best as Cameron's film had intended would be the best idea, but leave it above water!

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

@stinky - that replica was a real idea but was somewhy scrapped. If i could have the money then i would rebuild the ship again but i wouldnt change anything. The ship was perfect the way it was.

Indee slamman, inside the Titanic there many rooms still preserved very well. Wood that doesnt deteriorate is excellently preserved. Other wood things like even most walls have unfortunatelly disappeared.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

The main concern with preserving it is just the natural erosion I didn't give much thought to till I saw that special

Here's that other ship's dramatic footage, very recent history;

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users