Photo

The Titanic centennial

200 replies to this topic
Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Indeed it was about 2:20-2.30 when Titanic sank. That is according to ships time. Titanic was in the GMT -3 area. So check the world map to see where you live to find out when exactly the time will be for you.

But otherwise, i would still like suggestions for my painting.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

THAT fella.

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 15:03)
I want to start painting a tribute today, want to paint the Titanic. Just is hard to figure how i want to picture it. From what angle specifically. I want to finish it by april 15th, so not a lot of time to do it. If anyone want to help me make up my mind, maybe picking some picture of the ship that i might paint then go ahead.

E: The ship can be in whatever position you like, sinking or sailing or even in port. Even while launching it to water from the steel gantry.

How about this angle:

user posted image

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Heh, i have allready painted that angle. biggrin.gif
E: I think i'm just gonna do how the ship is allready sinking and the water is about to the boatdeck. And the first funnel is falling.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

THAT fella.

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:00 PM Edited by AlexGTAGamer, 13 April 2012 - 10:40 PM.

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 16:53)
Heh, i have allready painted that angle. biggrin.gif
E: I think i'm just gonna do how the ship is allready sinking and the water is about to the boatdeck. And the first funnel is falling.

You mean something like this, only with the first funnel crashing down?

user posted image

*Picture EDIT.*

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Can't see the picture, so i copied the address. Yeah, something like that.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sry for DP but i want you guys to see this video, it was made on april 10th. The people of SOuthampton came to memorize the beginning of the first voyage. They used the recording of Titanic whistles that were blown in 1999. The whistles were brought fro mthe wreck. Now they used the recording of that and replayed it three times. Then other ships followed.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

ive been watching shipwreck videos on youtube all afternoon fascinating!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:57 AM Edited by Slamman, 14 April 2012 - 01:04 AM.

I'm thinking the Hindenberg worth a biographical pic, just my opinion, but growing up, when you think of major disasters with World interest, that certainly was another one
I'm still half way through that earlier Jim Cameron dive, these clips on YT are rather extensive, full length programs! Sure beats the old 10 minute cut off

How about painting as it's coming out of the dry dock we see empty all the time? I'd go for a new approach from what's been done already

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:07 AM Edited by Sup3rman, 14 April 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Well i allready started on paiting the ship and portraying it like it's sinking and the first funnel is falling. But that is an interesting idea to paint the ship in drydock. Coming out of the drydock is just the ship looking finished and just sailing out, but in the drydock Titanic was finally finished and all the details and interior was also placed in the ship.

Today is april 14th and today will be the day Titanic hits the iceberg. Get a kind of a weird feeling thinking it has allready been 100 years.

E: And also, here is a picture taken today in Belfast. It's the last surviving White Star line ship named Nomadic. It was refurbished and restaured close to it's original state for the occasion of Titanic centennial. This ship or tender also had a role in the history of Titanic, it delivered late passengers and mail to the ship.
user posted image

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 04:08)
Germany probably blocked it for the music.

Yeah, yeah, of course. Just mentioned it to let you know. YT is getting really mad over here.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

This is also another MUST SEE special, more dated, but as claimed by the WhiteStar YT named channel, one of the best documentaries on the ship
It's best to see several of them though, I feel

It's feeling only slightly like overkill, but there's something about it's size and scope, for it's time that makes it such an interesting story

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

It's a lenghty documentary but gives all the basics, ive seen it before.
And everyone who lives in UK, theres a radioshow tonigh about Titanic. It is BBC Radio 2 and live on air from 11.30am to 2.30am April 14th into 15th. That is UK time. My friend Jonathan Smith will also be talking about Titanic there.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:43 AM Edited by oysterbarron, 14 April 2012 - 12:30 PM.

i take it you meant 11:30 pm otherwise that's a pretty lengthy radio show! cheers slamman for linking the vids watched the other one yesterday smile.gif

this is probably the most touching picture one of the last photos before she left for new york.

Captain smith just poking his head out from uptop, confident seamen but not looking as confident as the ships he sailed before were no where near the size and grace of the titanic!

user posted image

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Here is a superb model, scaled 1:100. It was just finished and looks fabulous.
user posted image

Here is something that proves that the wreck under the sea is Titanic, unlike some think that the ship down there is Olympic. The name on the bow:
user posted image

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

lol more fool them for thinking that. Olympic was decomissoned and the only one out of the fleet of 3 ships not to sink. the location of Britannic the third ship off the docks is known and was either sunk by hitting a mine or torpedo?

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yes, you are correct. Olympic was scrapped unfortunatelly in 1935 and Britannic sunk most likely by a mine in 1916 near Kea island.
I believe as a ship that has sunk completelly, not like Costa Concordia, Britannic is still the largest shipwreck in the world. Interesting is, that Britannics bow is so destroyed because the bow hit the seabed while the stern was still out of the water. The depth of water is only about 120m.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:09 PM Edited by Slamman, 14 April 2012 - 09:13 PM.

That ship never sank, you would have heard about it, what's interesting is hearing about the changes made to make Titanic the biggest and best ship of it's day, it's also interesting to hear of the premonitions of things going wrong, as happened in the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash that marked a sad end to the original band.

The other thing I'm looking at is the Titanic article in the April 9th Newsweek, which is another interesting bit of history on the ship, about the interest very early on, a film called "Saved From the Titanic" that was the closest made to the actual sinking date, and perhaps one of the more accurate? I'll be seeing if it's on YouTube or online in a second...

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

If anyone is interested, Titanic will hit iceberg 2:40 AM GMT, that is in UK. And it will sink by 7:20 AM GMT. So calculate where you are and when the time reaches your country. And if possible, gtaforum members all, please light a candle for those 1500 people who perished that night.

E: As i said Slamman, WHAT HAS SUNKEN COMPLETELLY. CC is sunken only half way.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:53 PM Edited by Slamman, 14 April 2012 - 11:36 PM.

Well, put some photos of that up! Most of us missed the original reports. Titanic is the most well known of all.
Not to say there isn't other disasters that have a compelling story, but that's one of the interesting things, again the name defines it's presence, size, the best transportation available at that time. Presumably.

Last one with interviews is VERY compelling!

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

Just got home after watching Titanic 3D. I liked it alot. I've never seen the original at the cinema.
It's much more impressive.

I can't understand the hate towards the movie. (By some people)

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Well 100 years are past by now. Listened all night to the BBC radio 2 programme for the broadcast called Titanic:minute by minute. Very interesting and my friend from england spoke very professionally.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

The film is good i remember going to watch it with a school friend and his parents think i was 13 or 14 i cried!

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Has it sunk yet?

Also, isn't the Titanic such a mesmerizing ship? I went to the Titanic exhibition last year and got to come in contact with stuff brought up from the wreckage. I even touched the black metal part of the ship that had all the round windows on it. Always cool to see footage and photos of it knowing I touched that sh*t.

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

What time did the titanic sink 100 years ago has it allready happened ? I hope you guys understand what i'm saying. Like what time did it happen i live in australia so if you could tell me in hours and minutes the would help

e.g maybe it happened an hour ago that's what i want to know. how long in hours and mins

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Yeah it sank bout 4 hours ago sending a good few hundred souls to the bottom of the ocean withe the rest scattered on the surface freezing to death. After watching some of slammans videos one of the survivors on the life raft said that it only hit home that the ship would sink while they were rowing away. People really thought it wasnt going to sink even people in the rafts thought that they would be back for breakfast.

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:48 AM Edited by Cole Phelps Gta, 15 April 2012 - 10:54 AM.

Yeah i feel you man. I love the Titanic it's a sexy ship lets face it smile.gif It's a shame it sunk it would of been awesome if i could of went on a criuse on it.

guys we need to discuss this it really happened it was a big deal

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yeah allthough compared to the size of todays ships shes quite small it would be great to look round her these 3 ships were un surpassed in there day the world had never seen anything like them before. Its a shame the olympic was disassemblyed would have been nice to see titanics sister ship. But im sure they needed the metal to make tanks.

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:11 AM Edited by Cole Phelps Gta, 15 April 2012 - 11:14 AM.

I'm trying to imagine what it must off been like on the titanic when it started to sink. I mean you're out in the ocean and worse yet it's freezing you haven't even got a chance of ''holding on'' waiting for help because you die after 5 minutes in the water. yeah...... it's probably worse than a plane crash in some ways.... I mean with a plane crash theirs really nothing you can do you're screwed basically with a sinking ship theirs alot more panic because you're fighting for your life trying to get of the ship and everyone is doing the same

I know i shouldn't compare them but i am

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

When he started to sink? Cole Phelps gta, you never fail to illicit a chuckle from the GTAF community, I'm not being mean, I'm just saying it's hard to take you very seriously

I think Cameron's film is intended to show what it must have been like, but substitute his actors for some of the images of the real people shown in the documentaries.

I pointed out that Red Dead Redemption takes place around the same years, if you speed up between Jack and John's times in the game, though it advances more then a year, the game world does stay the same. It's interesting since I hadn't thought of it prior

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Titanic indeed sunk actually about 6 hours ago by the correct, that is considering that its summer time.
The ship should certainly be discussed more about. Thats why i made this thread too.
@Linki, the piece you touched was the famout big piece. Once it indeed have white and black paint on, even the golden stripe. Now, because it was soaked in acid and whatever solutions to preserve it, the paint is gone. Byt today standards Titanic is still quite a large ship, but that only by lenght. Way shorter ships have more decks and are bigger by height.

In Camerons Final word, they had this theory or a question to everyone there. What would you do on the ship to save more people or to save the ship. Someone, i think Cameron or Ken offered the possibility to gather some men and build more lifeboats out of stuff from the ships interior. I have had that theory for a long time, nie to see someone else coming up with that. Can't say if they could have pulled something like that off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users