Photo

The Titanic centennial

200 replies to this topic
Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

So this year marks the centennial of the sinking of the Titanic, a ship that was the largest moving object in that time and also the most luxurious. It was 269m long, 28m wide and including the funnels, more than 50m tall. Offcourse there are bigger ships now but then it was something unimaginable. The ship is so famous offcourse because of many reasons: it's size, the fact that many rich people travelled on it, but especially for two reasons. One being, that the ships was named unsinkable. The other being that it sank ironically on it's maiden voyage. Over 2208 people, including crew, were onboard and 1496 of them died on that night.

I know it's a few days till the centennial of the sinking, those dates would be 14-15 april, but the centennial for the start of it's maiden voyage will be in two days, april 10th. Making this two days earlier because maybe someone else is interested in seeing these 3 documentarys or shows on National Geographic about Titanic. These are brand new. First one is today, Titanic: Last word with James Cameron. Then tomorrow will be two in a row, Save the Titanic with Bob Ballard and Titanic: Case closed(these dates could be different around the world).

I know that people who live in Ireland or even Belfast may know more about what is happening at the Titanic Quarter, the place where Titanic was made. So who knows anything can share it here.
Who don't know much about the ship can always ask, i can answer questions about it cause ive been studying the ship and am quite a enthusiast.
I can also post a picture of the ship 100 years ago every day, meaning that every next day a photo will appear here showing the ship exactly 100 years ago.

So heres the first pic, made today 100 years ago.
user posted image

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

This is something I made a couple years ago.

Never got time to make an improved version.

I've been always fascinated with that ship.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Well, that looks very good...a bit crude but everything seems quite right. Did you make that model too?

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I've got a painting of the Titanic in my room that is displayed above the door, it is covered with dust and is in a state of disrepair. I'll probably fix it up and have a vigil/memorial/something along those lines for the 100th anniversary of the "Unsinkable Ship".

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 10:59)
Well, that looks very good...a bit crude but everything seems quite right. Did you make that model too?

No, the model was done by a guy named Rocky G. It would take weeks/months to get it right.

stu
  • stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Looks like your spelling went a bit off course there. Normally I don't like to be a grammar dick but when the opportunity presents itself so hilariously, well I just can't resist.

For some of the older members on here, I was wondering whether or not it used to be as infamous or in the public consciousness so much before the film was released. Do you think people make more of a deal about it now? Or was it still really "popular" even before the film?

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Weird I was always fascinated with titanic as a kid and wondered where I would be on the 100th anniversary. Still looks like a beautifully designed ship to me.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well, off course it went a bit biggrin.gif
I guess the movie has affected many, i myself can't remember exactly anymore what made me like this ship and the story behind it. I'm guessing it was actually a documentary. I myself have a 1000 piece puzzle hanging above my bed...i can't describe just how wrong its drawn there, but at least it has four funnels biggrin.gif I did paint a painting of the ship, that hangs above the computer...now with that i took time and made it very detailed and right. Rigging is correct, every detail, the bridge and the boatdeck. I also have a 1:400 sized Titanic model, some details are yet to be but on. Made moderations on that too, added more details and altered things so it would be more closer to the original. Also have a 1:350 sized paper model of the wreck, the bow section. It's not finished either but one day it will be...it aint just some paper printed out or just put together. It represents hard work and many details and should be a very close copy of how the ship looked like when it was discovered in september 1st 1985.

E: One of the most accurate 3D models i know is being created by mr.robville. You can check out his work in youtube. Very accurate model of the Titanic.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 15:57)

Video is blocked in Germany.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Well heres another CGI from the new Titanic documentary, Final word, that i just watched...

This should be the most accurate sinking animation to date, altough i myself would redo some things.

Morsaw
  • Morsaw

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 18:05)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 15:57)

Video is blocked in Germany.

Its a Conspiracy!

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 05:57)
This is something I made a couple years ago.

Never got time to make an improved version.

I've been always fascinated with that ship.

A million times better than the film.

This is the first major centennial of my life. Next is the start and finish of World War One and hopefully, I'll still be around to celebrate World War Two's series of centennials, including the start, end, D -Day, V- Day, Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:08 AM Edited by goin-god, 09 April 2012 - 02:14 AM.

Germany probably blocked it for the music.

Sup3rman, amazing. I will take taht video in mind if I ever get to make a new version.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:03 AM Edited by Slamman, 09 April 2012 - 05:09 AM.

James Cameron is always a hero since TERMINATOR, one of the best films ever made, but the expense of making corrections for the film Titanic is too much, he helped out National Geographic with the special that was on this evening, and that's good enough for evaluating what facts were missing

3D? Everything? Won't come to that, but he's the man behind Avatar and it was very VERY successful, so it seemed getting the movie out there in light of the anniversary is still a good move.

The film is an enjoyable yarn, if you didn't like it, I wouldn't trust your film review judgment

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (Iminicus @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 19:10)
hopefully, I'll still be around to celebrate World War Two's series of centennials, including the start, end, D -Day, V- Day, Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

You should be able to see them, unless you develop health problems or the world ends due to some apocalyptic event.

Though I wonder how it will feel to not have any living soldiers from the war. Hell we are almost out of people from World War 1, so maybe something similar?

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:57 PM Edited by Sup3rman, 09 April 2012 - 12:59 PM.

So today is april 9th, one day before Titanic started her first voyage 100 years ago. The press are onboard to write about the ship:
user posted image

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Is it just me or does The Titanic always come into fashion again every 5 years or so. I get that it's the centennial this year but I swear that some Hi-Def DVD, 3D Movie, feature play or something keeps appearing.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Well i guess it is so. There are plenty of Titanic films that have been converted into blue ray or HD format recently.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 10:29)
Well i guess it is so. There are plenty of Titanic films that have been converted into blue ray or HD format recently.

Like many other old movies.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

My great nans best mate forsaw the sinking of the titanic a few weeks before it left for it's icy grave. If anyone is interested i'll tell the story.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (chris @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 13:34)
My great nans best mate forsaw the sinking of the titanic a few weeks before it left for it's icy grave. If anyone is interested i'll tell the story.

Sure, go ahead. Do you have a name? I do know some people who forsaw it, have to look up the names.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

...And how old are they??

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Am ivright in thinking that titanic is the only ship in history to be branded as unsinkable?

stu
  • stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 17:13)
Am ivright in thinking that titanic is the only ship in history to be branded as unsinkable?

I think there is a slight myth surrounding the whole "unsinkable" thing. As far as I'm aware it was branded "practically unsinkable" by its makers. But it was obviously far from it. It was the biggest, but certainly not the most advanced technically. It's rudder was pretty backwards in design for a ship of its immense size and was a major factor in it being unable to avoid the iceberg.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 17:13)

I wouldn't say that. Other ships were also thought to be pretty much unsinkable, ships like Mauretania and Lusitania. They had double brinks and double bottoms, also the coalbunkers were at the sides of the ships. That was all done because of the upcoming WW1. If a torpedo would hit one of the ships in the side, the ship would still be afloat, because the double brinks are very strong and the coal bunkers would make the side even stronger.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

So if they hadnt tried to turn and only sustained damage to the front do you think the outcome would have been different?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:19 PM Edited by Slamman, 09 April 2012 - 06:23 PM.

That animation was really enlightening, as you see more of the iceberg represented, and how they had tried to turn the ship around it.
It was just a fascinating study as well, coming up with theories at the end for saving more people if the ship had already been fatally hit, moving people to the iceberg being suggested!

The show last night on Nat Geo shows that the water entry and some mistakes in the design, and a latch left open helped usher in the water as well, and flooded further compartments faster, so there was more then just the initial gash from the iceberg it seems to point out

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

@oysterbarron - Well i think that if they had jsut turn the reverse gear and hadn't turn the rudder, going straight and hitting the iceberg with the tip of the bow, it could have save if not all then almost every life. Thing is, that crash would have generated a lot of force, also it woulod have crushed about 2 waterthight compartments. If they hadnt turned then śhip firms could have fined or just had given a bad mark for them not trying to turn. But yeah, i think it would have made a difference. That because Titanic was made to stay afloat with what ever 2 water thight compartments or maximum four first compartments.

@Slamman - Actually the reason of that turn in the animation is that they didn't want to break the propellors of the ship. So to prevent that, they turned the ship in the opposite direction, so it would make a half-circle around the iceberg. Also the D deck open door, that they figured was the reason of a slight port list of the ship.

gtaluva
  • gtaluva

KMG-365

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Everything surrounding the Titanic is simply fascinating from the ship herself to the night she sank. A little off topic but another very fasnicating shipwreck is the Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior. The movie Titanic, although not entirely historically accurate, still helps people today realize what the events were like for those onboard. I can't imgaine experiencing the ship while affloat I can't even imagine experiencing it while sinking. Glad I'm around to see the centennial too!

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (gtaluva @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 19:51)
Everything surrounding the Titanic is simply fascinating from the ship herself to the night she sank. A little off topic but another very fasnicating shipwreck is the Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior. The movie Titanic, although not entirely historically accurate, still helps people today realize what the events were like for those onboard. I can't imgaine experiencing the ship while affloat I can't even imagine experiencing it while sinking. Glad I'm around to see the centennial too!

I do know the Edmund Fitzgerald, a cargo ship that also broke in half like the Titanic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users