» «
Photo

The GTA IV Plane Thread

19 replies to this topic
SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:24 AM Edited by SonofUgly, 17 June 2012 - 07:09 PM.

GTA IV Plane thread

Summary.

I noticed there was plenty of information and discussion about modding cars and boats, but there was virtually nothing about planes. So I decided to make a thread for people who want to add converted planes, and hopefully to get modders out there to create new planes. I would also like to add, and make it very clear, that I am not a modder, and haven't created anything (but do appreciate the work from dedicated modders out there). I'm creating this thread from various observations and limited info I've gathered.
Also if something with the information here is incorrect please tell me and I'll correct it.

Known Problems.

The handling is horrible/it doesn't feel like an airplane. By far people's biggest gripe. I don't believe there's much that can be done here (I would love to be proven wrong though), and I think that the vehicle physics engine itself needs more work before we see realistic flight (maybe one of the reasons R* scraped planes for IV?).
Can't enter planes. This is most likely due to problems with the animations and positions of the doors. Should be able to get around by spawning planes using a trainer.
Rustler spawns upside down. Everything looks ok in zmodeler/OpenIV, don't have a clue whats going on here. Use SNT to flip it right-side up.
Propellers don't spin/Rudders don't move. EPM needs to be used to fix these.
No reverse. Planes (at least the Hydra and Rustler) are extremely slow to back up. This could be do to collisions, wheels, thrust, or a combination of all of those.
Planes crash my game. This can happen for various reason, try removing some planes or messing with some settings.
Planes are rising out of the ground and creating sink holes! Sometimes, with just the right settings, you can get the fighter (or maybe it's the hydra model) to slowly rise from the ground when it gets spawn and create some pretty strange glitches. Try not to mix the Hydra model with FIGHTER handling ID and helicopter animations in the ide file.
The planes are indestructible. Well not quite, but they're pretty damn tough. Change the settings in the handling file if you want them to be more like San Andreas.
Planes can float/go into water and then fly out. I don't think this can be fixed, so enjoy your submersible aircraft.

Planes.

There are 3 planes that were going to be used in GTA IV (or at least tested in the game):
Dodo: Probably a modern day fullwing Dodo from the previous games.
Andromada: Most likely was turned into the jumbo planes circling the airport in retail GTA IV
Fighter: Most people think this refers to a fighter jet, a modern day Hydra. But after playing around with it using the Hydra model, I think it actually was an old WWII fighter plane, like the Rustler.

Now to mods. So far I have found 8 plane mods, most of them converted from San Andreas. I'll include download links (as well as a plane pack that includes handling.dat and vehicle.ide). If you're the owner of any of these and would like me to remove a link, let me Know.
Download Hydra http://www.gtagaming...hicle-mods/3127
Download Dodo http://www.gta4-mods...reas-dodo-f3186
Download Rustler http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=19211
Download Skimmer http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=19210
Download Shamal http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=19209
Download SAAB Gripen Jet http://www.gtagaming...icle-mods/13987
Download Boeing 757-200 http://www.gtagaming...icle-mods/13985
Download Airbus A319 http://www.gtagaming...icle-mods/13986
Download Naboo N1 Starfighter http://grandtheftaut...rfighter;113657
Download Cessna 152 www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/cessna-152-f14773
Download Piper J-3 Cub http://www.gtagaming...icle-mods/14774

Download Plane Pack http://www.gta4-mods...ane-pack-f14049

How to add planes.

Creating new files (Skip this if you followed the guide 'Add New Car GTA' or are using the 'GTA IV Plane Pack').
Create a new handling file to use for planes, lets call it "planehan.dat". Put it in the GTA IV\common\data directory.
Create a new vehicle.ide for planes, and name it "planes.ide". Put it in the same directory. Add this to it:
CODE
cars
end

txdp

vehshare_truck, vehshare

end

Now using OpenIV create a new img file (File > Create > IMG). Call it "planes.img" and save it in the GTA IV\pc\models\cdimages directory.
Create a new file called planevehOff.csv (this isn't required, vehOff is just for camera positioning). Only a few plane mods use vehOff lines, but you'll add them here when they do.
Now open 'gta.dat' (where you saved planehan.dat and planes.ide) and add this line at the very bottom of it (in the Lod Cullers section):
CODE
IDE common:/data/planes.ide

Open 'images.txt' and add this line after "platformimg:/data/maps/east/bronx_w2 0":
CODE
platformimg:/models/cdimages/planes 1

And lastly add this line to 'default.dat':
CODE
HANDLING common:/data/planehan.dat
VEHOFF common:/data/planevehOff.csv

Adding the planes.

First off name the WFT/WTD to what you want (like dodo.wft/dodo.wtd).
Add the those files to the planes.img using OpenIV.
Add both of the handling lines (found in the Readme file) to planehan.dat, make sure the name in the handling line is the same name as the one you gave to the WFT/WTD files:
CODE
DODO     5000.0  10.0  75  0.0 0.3  0.0     0.0  1  0.30  1.0 160.0 0.4  0.60 0.7  35.0  0.65 0.60  8.0 0.10 0.5    0.5  0.15 0.2  0.50 -0.05 0.0  0.5   0.5 0.5 0.8 1.5  0.0  45000   4000000  400000   13
$ DODO  0.5  0.40 0.0  -0.00015 0.002  0.10 0.003 -0.002 0.0003 0.0020
0.020 0.15 1.0  1.0  0.0  1.0  0.998 0.998 0.995  20.0 50.0   20.0

Now add the vehicle line (again, found in Readme) to planes.ide (after 'cars', before 'end'). Make sure the first 2 names are the same as the WFT/WTD file. Should look like this:
CODE
cars
dodo,  dodo,  plane,  AIRTUG,  DODO,  VEH@HELICOPTER, VEH@HELICOPTER_XX_H, 100, 999,  0.2272, 0.2272,  0.3, 2, 1.0 ,2, ext_sunroof+ext_strong
end

(This isn't required) Now open 'carcols.dat' and add in the colors you want to use:
CODE
yankee,  15,112,1, 26,78,1,
dodo,  113,113,113,

This last part is if you want the airplane to spawn on it's own, if you're using a trainer there's no need for this. Open 'cargrp.dat' and add the name of the plane to any group you want to use the plane. I like to just add planes to the airport:
CODE
dodo, airtug, feroci2, perennial2, bus, ripley, # POPCYCLE_GROUP_AIRPORT_WORKERS

user posted image

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:26 AM Edited by SonofUgly, 04 May 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Understanding Plane Data

Extra Parts Moving (EPM)

More information coming soon!

Using EPM

First you will need a few things.
Extra Parts Moving 1.4: http://www.gtagaming...cript-mods/7754
.NET Scripthook: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=392325

Preparing a Vehicle to use EPM

Handling.dat

The first line of handling for planes is the standard information used by all other vehicles in GTAIV. This is probably redundant/unnecassary/not thorough enough, but I figured I might as well.
user posted image
A = Name [14 characters max]
B = Mass in Kg
C = Drag
D = Buoyancy [10 to 120]
E = Center of Mass (X axis) [-10.0 > x > 10.0]
F = Center of Mass (Y axis) [-10.0 > x > 10.0]
G = Center of Mass (Z axis) [-10.0 > x > 10.0]
H = Transmission, Bias [1.0 = front wheel drive, 0.0 = rear wheel drive]
I = Transmission, Number of Gears
J = Transmission, Force
K = Transmission, Inertia
L = Transmission, V?
M = Transmission, Brake Force
N = Transmission, Brake Bias
O = Transmission, Steering Lock
P = Wheel Traction, Curve Max
Q = Wheel Traction, Curve Min
R = Wheel Traction, Peak lateral traction position in degrees
S = Wheel Traction, Peak longituduinal traction position in degrees
T = Wheel Traction, Max distance for traction spring
U = Wheel Traction Bias
V = Suspension Force (1 / (Force * NumWheels) = Lower limit for zero force at full extension)
W = Suspension, Compression Damp
X = Suspension, Rebound Damp
Y = Suspension, Upper Limit
Z = Suspension, Lower Limit
1 = Suspension Raise
2 = Suspension Bias
3 = Collision Damage
4 = Weapon Damge
5 = Deformation
6 = Engine Damge
7 = Seat Offset
8 = Monetary Value
9 = Model Flags (should be set to 4000000 or 440000 for planes)
10= Handling Flags
11= Animation Group Type

The second line for handling is only used for boats, bikes, and aircraft. Always start this line with a $ when dealing with planes.
user posted image
$ = ! is for Bikes, % is for Boats, and $ is for aircraft
A = Name
B = Thrust
C = Thrust fall off
D = Thrust Vector
E = Yaw
F = Yaw Stability
G = Side Slip
H = Roll
I = Roll Stability
J = Pitch
K = Pitch Stability
L = Form Lift
M = Attack Lift
N = Gear Up
O = Gear Down
P = Wind Multiplier
Q = Movement Resistance
R = Turn Resistance (X axis)
S = Turn Resistance (Y axis)
T = Turn Resistance (Z axis)
U = Speed Resistance (X axis)
V = Speed Resistance (Y axis)
W = Speed Resistance (Z axis)

Vehicles.ide

Now unlike handling.dat, there was no leftover info for planes in vehicle.ide, so what's known specific to how airplanes are used here isn't well known (at least to me).
user posted image
A = Model Name
B = Txd Name
C = Type (Note: "plane, " works here)
D = Handling ID (FIGHTER/DODO work here. ANDROMADA or a shortened version of that word should work too)
E = Game Name
F = Base Animation
G = Secondary Animation
H = Max Number aloud to spawn
I = Swankness (probably left over SEX APPEAL from GTA:SA)
J = Wheel Raduis Flags (Front?)
K = Wheel Raduis Flags (Rear?)
L = Default Dirt Level
M = LOD Multiplier 1 (?)
N = LOD Multiplier 2 (?)
O = LOD Multiplier 3 (?)
P = Flags (?)

user posted image

Kajjy
  • Kajjy

Gay Furry Extraordinaire

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I didn't read everything but from what I can tell, your useing GTA IV's leftover plane code to put planes into the game?Sounds cool.Maby post a vid?I can't download seeing as I has sh*t pc tounge.gif

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (tommyv2468 @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 04:38)
I didn't read everything but from what I can tell, your useing GTA IV's leftover plane code to put planes into the game?Sounds cool.Maby post a vid?I can't download seeing as I has sh*t pc tounge.gif

Yeah, that's pretty much it, theres enough information leftover to get planes working, but its not quite finished.

Also, I was going to upload my own videos, but the video editor wont load confused.gif , but here's someone elses:

Kajjy
  • Kajjy

Gay Furry Extraordinaire

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

This would't happen to be in this mod too,would it?

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (tommyv2468 @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 23:39)
This would't happen to be in this mod too,would it?

No, not yet.

But this isn't really a mod, it's more of a thread for discussing and sharing plane mods. Also for letting people know that there are planes in GTA IV, or at least the ability to have planes, you just have to... add them back in.

If anyone finds anymore plane mods post it, and I'll update the first thread with a link.

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Entering a plane: Its not he col, its the missing animations for entering planes, and additionally its the distance between seat_pos and door and seat dummy. Hard to make it flawless.
Swimming: its hardcoded in the exe as it seems, that any vehicle but boats sink. Even the boyance value in the handling line does not support "unsinkable", since it does not allow value "0", but starts with "10" up to "100".
Handling and keys: well, Q and E, like in GTA SA, is not supported by the game as it seems.
Rotor/Propeller: those animations do not exist, nor does the triggers exist in the exe as it seems.

Lots of plane issues are already adressed by EPM, so for example moving the rotor, moving the ailerons, moving the flaps, steering the plane on all axes (nick, yaw, roll). See the IV:SA mod, which includes planes and EPM. See my YT videos of the planes I converted for IV:SA.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info Threepwood. I've been following the IV:SA mod on and off for a while and have seen some of your car mods (awesome job btw). I guess I always miss it when you guys talk about planes.
I was going to make a section for mods that would be helpful like EPM, but it totally slipped my mind (when I was making this thread I was thinking that I should've added another reply, but I just couldn't figure out what went in it and decided against it tounge2.gif ). Anyway, I'll watch your youtube vids, mess around with EPM and update this thread.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Alright, added some pics, a vid, more planes and some new info.

MadJC
  • MadJC

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

I love the new SAAB Plane by udihow. I tried making a f-35 on my own, as it is my favorite plane smile.gif . But i failed hard. So i hope someone else has the same idea and is willing to work on it. But is does not look like there is much interest in adding planes to GTA 4. confused.gif

Bugatti407
  • Bugatti407

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Can you make those files what is needed and upload them? Then i just could place those files into GTA IV folder and done biggrin.gif
Sorry for that difficult explanation cryani.gif

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:46 PM Edited by SonofUgly, 06 May 2012 - 07:50 PM.

QUOTE (Bugatti407 @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 12:32)
Can you make those files what is needed and upload them? Then i just could place those files into GTA IV folder and done  biggrin.gif
Sorry for that difficult explanation  cryani.gif

I'm reuploading the Plane Pack mod here: http://www.gta4-mods...ne-pack-f14049/
It'll have all the files already edited included.

@MadJC - Well my hope is with this thread and the Plane Pack mod will get more people interested, and udihow did a very good job with his planes so hopefully people will see them and make their own mods icon14.gif

byankeesjeter
  • byankeesjeter

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Not sure if you mind having support topics in your post, so if it is a problem let me know and I will delete this post.

Anyway I put in the files that you provided but for some reason I cannot get the plane to take off. Maybe I'm missing something, what are the controls for flying?
Also whenever I try and spawn the planes with SNT it says invalid model, and whenever I try spawning the 757, Gripen, or Airbus with the scripthookdotnet console it says unable to create object.

Hopefully these can be resolved, and thank you for this amazing mod. I hope I will be able to use it for its full capabilities soon. Thanks again.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (byankeesjeter @ Sunday, May 6 2012, 14:21)
Not sure if you mind having support topics in your post, so if it is a problem let me know and I will delete this post.

Anyway I put in the files that you provided but for some reason I cannot get the plane to take off. Maybe I'm missing something, what are the controls for flying?
Also whenever I try and spawn the planes with SNT it says invalid model, and whenever I try spawning the 757, Gripen, or Airbus with the scripthookdotnet console it says unable to create object.

Hopefully these can be resolved, and thank you for this amazing mod. I hope I will be able to use it for its full capabilities soon. Thanks again.

I believe it's the same controls as helicopters in GTA IV and planes in GTA: SA where Numpad 8 and 2 control the pitch when using a keyboard. It also might be left shift/control, but I think that's just for EPM. I use a gamepad and the controls for that is just by using the left analog stick.

As for spawning make sure you're using the latest files from gta4-mods - the first time I uploaded it it didn't include those planes, I've added them in later. And if you are using the latest files, make sure that the names are exactly the same in planes.img and planes.ide.

Also its fine if you post needing help.

XGPBlight
  • XGPBlight

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

i put all files in the my gta$ library but if i type in (in the trainer) a plane for example DOD, there is: "Invalid Model" how can i solve it
and is that in the future possible?: if not, where i get this mod?

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:51 PM Edited by SonofUgly, 16 May 2012 - 09:12 AM.

QUOTE (XGPBlight @ Monday, May 14 2012, 09:07)
i put all files in the my gta$ library but if i type in (in the trainer) a plane for example DOD, there is: "Invalid Model" how can i solve it
and is that in the future possible?: if not, where i get this mod?

Make sure you've either edited or copied over gta.dta, default.dat, and images.txt. And that all files are where they need to be.
If you're still having issues try downloading the individual plane mods with the links in the OP, and either installing them how I oultined or, if that doesn't work, by using the author's method of replacing a vehicle.

Also the reason I didn't include that mod is because it's not actually a plane, it's a helicopter (replaces the Annihilator). I think they're just using a trainer to increase the forward vehicle speed to make it seem like it flying like a plane.
I'm not sure where to get the hydra with guns, but here's a gripen with rockets: http://www.gta4-mods...pdated-3-f14130

And is it possible in the future to have planes with guns attached? I would think so with a script and trainer it would be possible to put guns on actual planes, but I'm not sure how to do that myself.

Edit: Tried using the above mod, but setting it as a plane and not a heli, and it just crashed the upon trying to take off confused.gif .

XGPBlight
  • XGPBlight

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:33 AM Edited by XGPBlight, 17 May 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Ok, now i installed only the gripen in your first post, how the autor described and it works, but i can only fly forward/backward and roll left/right but i cant pull the nose up and down.

EDIT: i installed the gripen from your last post, gta crashed everytime its on the loading screen, so i uninstalled it again...

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:31 PM Edited by SonofUgly, 17 May 2012 - 09:36 PM.

QUOTE (XGPBlight @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 04:33)
Ok, now i installed only the gripen in your first post, how the autor described and it works, but i can only fly forward/backward and roll left/right but i cant pull the nose up and down.

EDIT: i installed the gripen from your last post, gta crashed everytime its on the loading screen, so i uninstalled it again...

To pull up/down use shift/control (or maybe it's numpad8/2. I don't remember, using a controller is easier).

And the gripen from the last post there has to be installed as a helicopter or it will crash the game, so make sure that in the vehicle.ide it looks like:
CODE
gripen, gripen, heli, ...
NOT
gripen, gripen, plane, ...

Also I think the author of that mode just recommends replacing the Annihilator.

XGPBlight
  • XGPBlight

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thank you, using the shift and Ctrl button works smile.gif

shorty270490
  • shorty270490

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:36 AM Edited by shorty270490, 27 November 2012 - 11:40 AM.

I was just watching this video..

It's so cool

Has this been releases yet? If not will it be and when?

smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users