Quantcast

» «
Photo

Lock picking and hotwiring cars

87 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like minigames in which you must pick the lock on a car and/or hotwiring it? (379 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like minigames in which you must pick the lock on a car and/or hotwiring it?

1. Lock picking minigame (37 votes [10.45%])

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

2. Hotwiring minigame (19 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

3. Neither (164 votes [46.33%])

Percentage of vote: 46.33%

4. Both (134 votes [37.85%])

Percentage of vote: 37.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote
LovesGTA
  • LovesGTA

*loves GTA*

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Neither. I don't like the idea of mini games like this in GTA.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 23:06)
No. Stealing cars is what you do most in GTA. That's more or less the whole point of the game. If you turn the lock picking and hotwiring into mini-games, it will be novel and interesting for all of ten minutes, after that, it will be a chore. It will turn into a proverbial ball ache to have to play that mini-game every five damn minutes during the whole 50 hours or more that the main campaign lasts.

Seriously, it's a bad idea because all it will do is interrupt the flow of the game.

^^ 100% what everyone should be saying right now. ^^

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

No. Stealing cars is what you do most in GTA. That's more or less the whole point of the game. If you turn the lock picking and hotwiring into mini-games, it will be novel and interesting for all of ten minutes, after that, it will be a chore. It will turn into a proverbial ball ache to have to play that mini-game every five damn minutes during the whole 50 hours or more that the main campaign lasts.

Seriously, it's a bad idea because all it will do is interrupt the flow of the game.

EASY. Hold triangle to enter lockpicking mode, or just tap triangle to smash the window and break in classic GTA style. Everyone wins.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

You had to break windows to open locked car doors, which set off an alarm, and pumping a button would get it started more quickly. It was a nice break from every car being unlocked with the keys in the ignition.

It's not that we need any sort of minigame, but perhaps a more intuitive response from police or maybe even a car's owner who happens to see it would be a nice touch.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

In Mafia II the police are a bigger factor in how you play the game than they are in GTA IV. So making the process of stealing cars a bit more drawn out made sense in Mafia II. In GTA it would just be out of place and it may frustrate some players.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 10:57)
Neither.

Hotwiring cars minigame: This would get really damn annoying and tedious, having to do something over and over again every time you enter a vehicle.

Lockpicking minigame: Why the hell would we pick a lock, if we can just shoot it off?

Case closed.

It's a novelty, novelties always wear off, i would get pretty damn tired of picking locks all the time, there is not really any use for it, just slows things down and makes stealing cars more annoying.

ZoomZoom
  • ZoomZoom

Banned on request

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

It won't hurt. but I think there should be menu to enable or disable them. turn.gif

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (ZoomZoom @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 08:43)
It won't hurt. but I think there should be menu to enable or disable them. turn.gif

For everytime someone said that, if Rockstar actually did that for all the feautres, you'd have a menu at the length of a short fiction novel.

Features like these would not have such options, It'd be nice, but will not happen.

Regardless, I don't mind the mafia idea, have the "option" to break the window or pick the lock, you can choose, that's probably as close as we'd come to an option.

Hotwiring the car, currently Niko automatically does it, the faster you tap the shoulder buttons, the faster he hotwires the car, so esentially this is already in the game.
Unless ofcourse we are looking for more a visual, in your face, mini-game?

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 22:58)
Everybody has been complaining that GTA V needs more variety- so here is a small suggestion: a minigame which allows you to pick the lock on a car (instead of smashing the window) and then have the player hotwire the car themselves. After playing Mafia II, it's easy to see how a minigame in which you pick the lock on a car could work in a GTA game. And Chinatown Wars had a hotwiring system.

So why can't GTA have something like on of these?

No. It already takes forever to break a window and hot wire a car when cops are shooting at me that this would just ruin the game for me.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Raynos @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 19:48)
QUOTE (ZoomZoom @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 08:43)
It won't hurt. but I think there should be menu to enable or disable them.  turn.gif

For everytime someone said that, if Rockstar actually did that for all the feautres, you'd have a menu at the length of a short fiction novel.

Features like these would not have such options, It'd be nice.

You can have options for some things like Auto-Aim and a few other tid-bits but this statement is pretty much spot-on, you can't have an option for everything.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Now, some sort of lock picking thing for any sort of burglary-type missions might be cool, especially if there are security systems in any of the houses or buildings you might break into.

spiderman3000
  • spiderman3000

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hell no. Like others said, it would be interesting for a little while, but you've got to take into consideration wether people will get annoyed doing it again and again or not. They definetly will. Of course, if you are unlocking a REALLYY REALLY expensive and super rare car, then I guess a minigame that time would be good.

Pacal17
  • Pacal17

Electric Relaxation

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I actually liked the lock picking minigame in Mafia II, but you could just break the side window instead (which is pretty sad, becouse in the first game, the only way to aquire a vehicle was to pick its lock. stealing was much more risky).

I just can't imagine something similar in a GTA gane. I think they should just keep the IV mechanism.

packardcaribien
  • packardcaribien

Let's blow some *&%# Up!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I can't see what the problem would be with being able to punch out the window or unlock the door. Maybe there doesn't need to be a minigame, it could just take a bit longer but not set off alarms/attract police attention.

Hotwiring minigame would be far too tedious though, the button to speed it up should stay even though I rarley used it.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

The only reasonable way I could see this working is this.

You have a set of differing minigames. They represent various levels of difficulty of breaking into and/or hotwiring a vehicle. Each one is different depending on what type of technology is used to protect the car. So older cars which use very basic mechanical locks merely require a screwdriver and hammer to forcibly bust and turn the locks. Lock picking and hotwiring would require more finnese but cause less damage. Newer cars would start to require electronic solutions. The more hi tech cars and/or luxury cars would require hi tech equipment. Thus they would present different challenges in the form of differing minigames.

But you only play the minigames until your character has levelled up and become sufficiently proficient at any given challenge. After that the minigame no longer appear and your character performs the task automatically for you.

This could also introduce a new progression in that access to certain vehicles would be restricted until you learn how to nick them. So you only get access to the better cars later on in the game. Until then you'd be restricted to the more basic vehicles or ones that you can carjack.

I think this idea needs a lot of work to smooth off the rough edges and to design it in such a way that it isn't an annoying chore. It would have the advantage that it focuses slightly more on the mechanics of stealing cars; after all the game is called "Grand Theft Auto". But to be honest I'm still not enamoured with the whole idea because I still think it runs the risk of destroying the pace of the game.

Sean5
  • Sean5

Erin go Braugh

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (VoiceoftheVoiceless @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 23:11)
No one is ever happy, If they didn't implement this in the game you'd be bitching about why they didn't later.

This. Whoever was around during the IV release, you see people being so hypocritical. 'YES I WANT IT TO BE AS REALISTIC AS POSSIBLE' (2 months after game release) 'GAME IS TOO REALISTIC AND NO FUN. SA IS BETTER' make your f*cking mind up suicidal.gif

Foxhunt
  • Foxhunt

Highway To Hell

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 03:01)
No.  Stealing cars is what you do most in GTA.  That's more or less the whole point of the game.  If you turn the lock picking and hotwiring into mini-games, it will be novel and interesting for all of ten minutes, after that, it will be a chore.  It will turn into a proverbial ball ache to have to play that mini-game every five damn minutes during the whole 50 hours or more that the main campaign lasts.

^^ 100% what everyone should be saying right now. ^^

This. Like many other ideas, sounds good on paper, but not so good in practice.

Bantri
  • Bantri

I'll kill as many animals in GTA as I damn well please

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

GTA is about the freedom and just open-ness of the city. I don't want to be bothered by annoying mini games to open a car door. and then start the car. That's not what GTA is about.

EverBlazin
  • EverBlazin

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

At very most, only in one mission. Should be turned off for free roam mode.

packardcaribien
  • packardcaribien

Let's blow some *&%# Up!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 19:38)
The only reasonable way I could see this working is this.

You have a set of differing minigames. They represent various levels of difficulty of breaking into and/or hotwiring a vehicle. Each one is different depending on what type of technology is used to protect the car. So older cars which use very basic mechanical locks merely require a screwdriver and hammer to forcibly bust and turn the locks. Lock picking and hotwiring would require more finnese but cause less damage. Newer cars would start to require electronic solutions. The more hi tech cars and/or luxury cars would require hi tech equipment. Thus they would present different challenges in the form of differing minigames.

But you only play the minigames until your character has levelled up and become sufficiently proficient at any given challenge. After that the minigame no longer appear and your character performs the task automatically for you.

This could also introduce a new progression in that access to certain vehicles would be restricted until you learn how to nick them. So you only get access to the better cars later on in the game. Until then you'd be restricted to the more basic vehicles or ones that you can carjack.

I think this idea needs a lot of work to smooth off the rough edges and to design it in such a way that it isn't an annoying chore. It would have the advantage that it focuses slightly more on the mechanics of stealing cars; after all the game is called "Grand Theft Auto". But to be honest I'm still not enamoured with the whole idea because I still think it runs the risk of destroying the pace of the game.

If I'm not mistaken that is exactly how it worked in Chinatown Wars. Industrial vehicles just had a screwdriver in the ignition, most cars had a simple hotwiring game, and expensive cars needed some kind of computer scrambler you purchased. I don't think It ever automated, though.

---

I still think that a 'break window v. pick lock' thing, even if it lacks a minigame and is just a button hold exercise, is something GTA can borrow from Mafia II. It's not poisonous to take good ideas from other series people.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

I don't have a problem with lock picking because it would be entirely optional, like it was in mafia II. Hotwiring? It would be forced on you every damn time. Remember hacking in bioshock 1? Do you really want something like that every time you steal a damn car?

Shade04rek
  • Shade04rek

Nothin But A Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:46 PM Edited by Shade04rek, 01 August 2012 - 10:57 PM.

I voted neither. But I realize the sound of the word "minigame" can be misleading.

Im going to acknowledge the idea though, it can work, just dont think "skyrim lockpicking minigame".

So you tap Y/Triangle & your player attempts to pull the handle. Once realizing that the car is locked they automatically start picking the lock, & the car will open automatically even when not pressing anything, but will take longer. Say that default time is 6-10 secs. so while the player's automated picking is happening, a combination of random buttons appear at the bottom of the screen. depending on the rarity/price of the car, there will be more buttons that'd have to be pressed, from 5 to 25 maybe. Like this "X,Y,X,B,Y,A,X, ect". pressing all successfully instantly gets you in the car early. mess up and the possible alarm goes off, but you just bust in the window from then on out if one does.

OR you hold Y/Triangle initially & you'll just smash in the window instantly, risking an alarm & attention from nearby peeps.

AS for the ignition, it could be the same thing, a button combination just to speed up the automated wiring.

& this wouldn't get old or tedious to me at all, Its also a small, very quick, easy (fun?) way of getting in while being clean & stealthy.

assmillk
  • assmillk

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

wow i made a thread like this a long ass time ago and it got locked right away...

Blood_Money
  • Blood_Money

Crtel de Los Santos

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Both would be fine.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Blood_Money @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 16:03)
Both would be fine.

Why? Do you really want to have to mess around with a bunch of wires every time you get into a car?

OpenWorld23
  • OpenWorld23

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

I wish they did include an option to pick the lock in a car/van/truck door like how franklin does it but for Michael and Trevor to. I hate having to smash the window of a nice car or truck as Trevor or Michael.

I wish you could buy a lock pick kit for those two at the gun store or something. I hope they add that in GTA 6. Also it sucks to break a window of an un modifiable vehicle like a van or law enforcement vehicles and not be able to get it fixed at LS customs.

Also anyone else annoyed by how franklin can only pick the locks on cars and not on SUVs or other larger vehicles? I know it's not much to fix a window but ther should be a pick or smash window option for any vehicle and character.

EnKatMedEnHat
  • EnKatMedEnHat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

Franklin lockpick cars already though :) I don't know if this is the right way, but i usually go in stealth mode and hold the triangle button the he picks the lock instead of smashing the window :)

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

Wanted by the LCPD

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

I see either of these only being fun during certain missions for certain vehicles. If it had to be done every time, I doubt I would ever play this game again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users