Quantcast

» «
Photo

Lock picking and hotwiring cars

87 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like minigames in which you must pick the lock on a car and/or hotwiring it? (379 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like minigames in which you must pick the lock on a car and/or hotwiring it?

1. Lock picking minigame (37 votes [10.45%])

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

2. Hotwiring minigame (19 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

3. Neither (164 votes [46.33%])

Percentage of vote: 46.33%

4. Both (134 votes [37.85%])

Percentage of vote: 37.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:49 PM Edited by Cole Phelps Gta, 11 April 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Not really my thing in a game promissing open world freedom. Everyone has their own spin on what that means.

However with things like hotwiring cars it's fun at first but get old and tedious quick. You gotta remember you're playing this game for hours not a few minutes stuff like this runs thin quickly. So onestly i'd rather not have to deal with it because theirs better things they can add for realism. That doesnt get on your nervous half as quick smile.gif

Believe it or not i love the cars alarms. NOT on every car but occasionally it's cool. Playing IV I love setting the car alarm off walking away from the car. Then when the alarm stops i get in and drive away. no questions asked or wanted level recieved. Once again I only like it because it was once in a blue moon and it came at times when i wasnt in a hurry. If it was regular and happened when i was in a hurry i'd lose my sh*t. angry.gif

UP9390
  • UP9390

Railfan, Sheriff of Los Santos County - PSN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

Why not just try to use a crowbar to pull the window down, then when you get in, roll the window back up>

CubA_iLL_BrothA
  • CubA_iLL_BrothA

666سنة

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hotwiring like GTAIV yes, but a minigame? Naw I past.

It's easy in IV where you just break the driver window and then let your player hotwire in 3-5 seconds.

pariah87
  • pariah87

Chosen one

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

No and hell no.

pariah87
  • pariah87

Chosen one

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (Cole Phelps Gta @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 12:49)
Not really my thing in a game promissing open world freedom. Everyone has their own spin on what that means.

However with things like hotwiring cars it's fun at first but get old and tedious quick. You gotta remember you're playing this game for hours not a few minutes stuff like this runs thin quickly. So onestly i'd rather not have to deal with it because theirs better things they can add for realism. That doesnt get on your nervous half as quick smile.gif

Believe it or not i love the cars alarms. NOT on every car but occasionally it's cool. Playing IV I love setting the car alarm off walking away from the car. Then when the alarm stops i get in and drive away. no questions asked or wanted level recieved. Once again I only like it because it was once in a blue moon and it came at times when i wasnt in a hurry. If it was regular and happened when i was in a hurry i'd lose my sh*t. angry.gif

Whaaat? You just wait it out? Its so easy to lose one star. I like it when it goes off then its like oh f*ck pedal to the metal!!!

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Sprouting Brass and Slinging Lead

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

There should be a challenge revolving around cars. The reward to finishing all the challenges is the ability to use a lock pick to steal a car instead of breaking the window to deter less of a chance to being caught stealing a car.

Another thing should be that the more you hotwire a car, the faster the character will get at doing so. Overtime, in the beginning of the game, it takes maybe a few seconds to hotwire a car and at the end of the game, you can hotwire a car in less than a second.

mdr279
  • mdr279

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 14:47)
Ok. Read my words. GTA V will never be mafia II. It doesn't need to be mafia II. That's why mafia II exists!

No. I know what you're going to say. "So you'd rather it be saints row the third?" No, you moron! I want it to be GTA! GTA has always filled a very specific niche. People who think the really crazy sandboxes are too nutty, but also found that the first mafia game on PS2 and other realistic equivalents were too realistic. GTA fits snugly right between those lines. Why do i bring this up?

Lockpicking and hotwiring would just be tedious. Hell, even mafia 2 let you smash the window, and even that game did not have a tedious hotwiring game. GTA is fast paced because that's GTA's style. Yet, it also has really detailed environments and "as accurate as possible for a sandbox game on that particular hardware" physics that suit the games well.

Have any of you played bioshock? For those who have, remember every time you decided to hack a machine, you had to play a pipe dream minigame? Because this would be like that. Oh sure, it'd be interesting the first 5 times you played it, but it would very quickly become tedious and annoying. You want to experience what a lock picking and hotwiring system would be like first hand? Play the modern HD version of alone in the dark, then get back to me on that.

Mate, you have the exact same opinion as me on every single issue that I have seen you comment on. The difference is that you are able to articulate your point extremely well. smile.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:46 AM Edited by finn4life, 10 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

QUOTE (spike88 @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 11:28)
QUOTE (VoiceoftheVoiceless @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 19:01)
RDR had lock picking if i'm not mistaken

RDR has safe cracking.
\

What? No in RDR you had to Pick the lock for the horse then hotwire the arteries to get it going.

@MDR, i usually agree with racecarelock as well, i am glad there are a few people who can; envision the future and see how tedious nuances like this, and similar to this can be such a pain in the ass later on after the novelty wears off.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:19 AM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 10 May 2012 - 11:22 AM.

there's an easy solution.

You hold down Y/Triangle and the guy picks the lock.
Push it once and he'll smash the window.

Everyone's happy.

I'd like the feature, think it'd be a nice touch tbh.

I really want a "low key" alternative to smashing the window, picking the lock would fulfill that but even if it's optional and easier to not do it than to do it (Tap Y to smash or hold y to pick) people will still complain.

EDIT: MAybe a minigame would become tedious (though i would like the option to pick shop doors to rob them at night etc), but the animation to do so should be there i think, even if say smashing a window takes two seconds, picking it takes six, it's just an animation that's played out.

jesusismyairbag
  • jesusismyairbag

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

this isnt skyrim

1whitebuddah
  • 1whitebuddah

SHOWN PARASITIC

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (VoiceoftheVoiceless @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 23:11)
No one is ever happy, If they didn't implement this in the game you'd be bitching about why they didn't later.

no we wouldn't because its a terrible idea, would ruin the flow of the game.

is your name anything to do with immortal technique and lowkey?

divingstation
  • divingstation

///////////////

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

press triangle to break window, hold triangle to pick lock

1whitebuddah
  • 1whitebuddah

SHOWN PARASITIC

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (divingstation @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 11:54)

why would we need to pick the lock if we have already broken the window?

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (1whitebuddah @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 14:05)

Uh.. if you don't broke the window perhaps? Some prefer damage-free cars..

Jimmyhetfield
  • Jimmyhetfield

Master

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Neither! This would take away one of the fundamental ease of game-play aspects of grand theft auto in GRAND THEFT AUTO!

...But, maybe on rare cars parked in showrooms or cop cars parked in a station? apart from that, no icon13.gif

KeithoMahony
  • KeithoMahony

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Ispintechno @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 23:23)
I prefer the smashing of the window and opening the door. Takes 2 seconds.

Maybe give us an option, pick the lock and the alarm wont go off or something like that. That way if you are in a rush, you wont lose the flow of the game.

1whitebuddah
  • 1whitebuddah

SHOWN PARASITIC

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Freezer89 @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 12:25)
QUOTE (1whitebuddah @ Thursday, May 10 2012, 14:05)

Uh.. if you don't broke the window perhaps? Some prefer damage-free cars..

well..uh...he said break the window, im just replying to what he said, anyway its a stupid idea, even if the window was broken you would hardly notice it anyway

dc0322
  • dc0322

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

I voted for lock-picking, but ONLY in rare instances. As some of you have said, this could be only on special sports cars or police vehicles that require a quick segment to unlock. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't IV already have hot-wiring on a lot of vehicles? I was fine with that, because it wasn't a separate mini-game. It was pretty fluid, so I'm fine with keeping that feature as it is.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

STOP comparing GTA to other games!We cannot inovate the game?sh*t,think people.

No to hotwiring,too repetitive.
Yes to lockpicking.If V has sneaking,we could either break the window,making people go what the f*ck and probably calling the cops,or lockpicking it.It would take longer,but no one would be alerted unless they saw you doing it clearly.

Picture this:
One ped parks his car.You sneak behind him and snap his neck.You then lockpick his car so the people wouldn't be alerted to the murder you committed.You drive away and smash his head,and then the people notice it,but you're miles away by now.Quiet and deadly,EPIC style.

Psychotic Mind
  • Psychotic Mind

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

Why not both? Both involve theft. But f*ck it, It's time to take things up a notch. I also want a hostage mini game. I want to hold a gun on somone in the parking lot, force them at gunpoint to drive me to a location. Then i knock them out, rob them and lastly chop them to pieces. I wanna take peoples wallets and purses too.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

Mafia II style. You can do it the classic way: see a hot-wiring animation and risk getting a wanted level, or pick lock to avoid attention and damage to the car.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

If the next gen consoles have touchscreens and styluses as part of their controller schemes, this actually isn't that far fetched.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Think about it people, this would be like having a quick time event every time you reload your gun. It would just be tedious and frustrating and do nothing but add another step to car theft. Well, hotwiring would anyways. Lockpicking was probably the only good thing about mafia II, so why not have a press to break window or hold to pick the lock thing?

armandogonzales
  • armandogonzales

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (VoiceoftheVoiceless @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 23:11)
No one is ever happy, If they didn't implement this in the game you'd be bitching about why they didn't later.

No we wouldnt.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (GTASAIDEAMASTER @ Friday, May 11 2012, 05:16)
Picture this:
One ped parks his car.You sneak behind him and snap his neck.You then lockpick his car so the people wouldn't be alerted to the murder you committed.You drive away and smash his head,and then the people notice it,but you're miles away by now.Quiet and deadly,EPIC style.

Why do we have to pick the lock if we killed him inside the car just as he parked?

BlueNose1988
  • BlueNose1988

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

surelyn is so much better to just smash it...start it...punch it.....potentially crash it...rinse and repeat biggrin.gif

Dystopia
  • Dystopia

?

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Minigame? No.

Lockpicking and hotwiring should be part of the same thing, not seperate. Mafia 2 nailed it. You could smash the window and take a bigger risk of getting fined/arrested by the police. Or you could pick the lock, take a few seconds out with a couple of tricky clicks of a button to safely commit grand theft auto and not get caught as easily.

If they use it, that's the only way it would work.

whiskey.hotel.oscar
  • whiskey.hotel.oscar

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (Dystopia @ Friday, May 11 2012, 22:02)
Minigame? No.

Lockpicking and hotwiring should be part of the same thing, not seperate. Mafia 2 nailed it. You could smash the window and take a bigger risk of getting fined/arrested by the police. Or you could pick the lock, take a few seconds out with a couple of tricky clicks of a button to safely commit grand theft auto and not get caught as easily.

If they use it, that's the only way it would work.

Also you could steal rare cars and sell them without causing too much damage. Like Stevie's missions in IV, it is not realistic that he would accept a car with a broken window as "perfect condition". With lockpicking, you don't have to break the window anymore and the car is in perfect condition all the time, until you decide to crash it. For such cases, lockpicking would be perfect. For other cases when you urgently need a car, just use the classic method of breaking the window and steal the car. As for hotiwiring, I don't see any fun for that as the minigame. Just use the same method as IV, keep pressing the trigger buttons to quicken the hotwiring process.

Yorpie
  • Yorpie

I fought the law, and the law lost.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Why not like in Mafia 2?

The option to lock pick cars OR to smash the window. Both, than everyone is happy.

Reminds me of a topic about adding a radio with dubstep in GTA. Again, my opinion: just add it in the game, those who want it can listen and those who don't just don't have to listen again everyone happy biggrin.gif

lolleroz
  • lolleroz

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

Funny how some people complain 'GTA IS TOO FAST PACED FOR THIS OMG' yet Chinktown Wars had it and nobody complained about it. Simple, if you're in a linear chase mission, change the car status so the engine is already on, just like in CW, also have the ability to cancel hotwiring asap and start drive-bying (in case cops get close to your car while wanted&hotwiring)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users