Quantcast

» «
Photo

Lock picking and hotwiring cars

87 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like minigames in which you must pick the lock on a car and/or hotwiring it? (379 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like minigames in which you must pick the lock on a car and/or hotwiring it?

1. Lock picking minigame (37 votes [10.45%])

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

2. Hotwiring minigame (19 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

3. Neither (164 votes [46.33%])

Percentage of vote: 46.33%

4. Both (134 votes [37.85%])

Percentage of vote: 37.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Everybody has been complaining that GTA V needs more variety- so here is a small suggestion: a minigame which allows you to pick the lock on a car (instead of smashing the window) and then have the player hotwire the car themselves. After playing Mafia II, it's easy to see how a minigame in which you pick the lock on a car could work in a GTA game. And Chinatown Wars had a hotwiring system.

So why can't GTA have something like on of these?

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:06 PM Edited by meson1, 07 April 2012 - 11:09 PM.

No. Stealing cars is what you do most in GTA. That's more or less the whole point of the game. If you turn the lock picking and hotwiring into mini-games, it will be novel and interesting for all of ten minutes, after that, it will be a chore. It will turn into a proverbial ball ache to have to play that mini-game every five damn minutes during the whole 50 hours or more that the main campaign lasts.

Seriously, it's a bad idea because all it will do is interrupt the flow of the game.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

No one is ever happy, If they didn't implement this in the game you'd be bitching about why they didn't later.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 16:06)
No. Stealing cars is what you do most in GTA. That's more or less the whole point of the game. If you turn the lock picking and hotwiring into mini-games, it will be novel and interesting for all of ten minutes, after that, it will be a chore. It will turn into a proverbial ball ache to have to play that mini-game every five damn minutes during the whole 50 hours or more that the main campaign lasts.

Seriously, it's a bad idea because all it will do is interrupt the flow of the game.

Exactly, GTA is a fast paced game and so many suggestions people make just slow down and ruin the flow of the gameplay. It might work for games like Mafia, but I'm sure R* will never implement something like this (and for good reason).

Ispintechno
  • Ispintechno

Dodo Pilot

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

I prefer the smashing of the window and opening the door. Takes 2 seconds.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

I think the OP had the idea that it would be a mini-game, not an essential part of stealing a parked car each time. As a mini-game there could be certain cars that are either expensive, or have special aftermarket installations that make it harder to hotwire. Some kind of skill-based controller sequence could be used to lockpick or to start the ignition. If so, there should be some kind of achievement or XP for that.

In terms of game flow, I completely agree, the game is too fast-paced and it would be a heck of a frustration to have to fool around with a car ignition to get it started. Given that we typically break the window to get in, the only realistic challenge is the ignition.

As a nod toward realism, without taking it too far, modern cars are much harder to hotwire. Perhaps to acknowledge this, we could have a special tool that we acquire for the first time afer some mission, that basically lets you start the fancy modern cars as though you have a master key or a dealer's key of some sort.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 23:38)
I think the OP had the idea that it would be a mini-game, not an essential part of stealing a parked car each time. As a mini-game there could be certain cars that are either expensive, or have special aftermarket installations that make it harder to hotwire. Some kind of skill-based controller sequence could be used to lockpick or to start the ignition. If so, there should be some kind of achievement or XP for that.

In terms of game flow, I completely agree, the game is too fast-paced and it would be a heck of a frustration to have to fool around with a car ignition to get it started. Given that we typically break the window to get in, the only realistic challenge is the ignition.

As a nod toward realism, without taking it too far, modern cars are much harder to hotwire. Perhaps to acknowledge this, we could have a special tool that we acquire for the first time afer some mission, that basically lets you start the fancy modern cars as though you have a master key or a dealer's key of some sort.

This is exactly what I was getting at.

Although I felt more with the lock picking, it would be similar to that of Mafia II- where you go up to a car and you have the option on breaking the glass or picking it. And that picking it would just provide less police attention (if you don't already have a wanted level)

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

i voted 'neither'

gta isnt mafia and im not gonna let it become mafia

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

Both, but only if there is an option to switch back to the classic way as lock picking and hot wiring every car might get tedious eventually

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Neither.

Hotwiring cars minigame: This would get really damn annoying and tedious, having to do something over and over again every time you enter a vehicle.

Lockpicking minigame: Why the hell would we pick a lock, if we can just shoot it off?

Case closed.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

RDR had lock picking if i'm not mistaken

Engioc
  • Engioc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

I vote neither, it would just become a chore when you consider stealing cars is something you do very frequently in GTA.

I enjoyed it in Mafia 1 and 2 but I'd hate to have to do that in GTA, it would just continually interrupt the flow of the game.

Moist Peanut
  • Moist Peanut

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

What I'm thinking is a hotwiring mini-game, but it's just press like 5 or 6 buttons in a row to hotwire it, a bit like that knife thing in RDR. But this would only be done in action sequences. So when your getting chased by the police or etc then the mini-game would pop up. But while everything is calm then the game doesn't appear and it is done automatically, but is slowish. And of course some cars are harder to pick than others, so the sequences will of course be longer. And no tool to make it quicker or whatever, we don't need to be able to upgrade everything.

spike88
  • spike88

Big Boss

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (VoiceoftheVoiceless @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 19:01)

RDR has safe cracking.

Initially GTA IV was going to have a system where cops would follow you for a little bit if they saw that your window was broken out, but decided to take it out. Which would help if you could lock pick, but I think that would be annoying(especially since Niko punches out windows instead of rolling them down when he wants to fire)

I'm all for lock picking if it's purely optional. If you decide to lock pick it should take longer(if there is a mini game it should be like the current hot wiring one in GTA IV where you just gotta tap R2 and L2 ), but it would be quieter and not trigger car alarms. The only way someone realizes you're stealing the car is if they're driving or walking right next to it. Breaking the window should be the default option(hold triangle to lock pick, tap to break window) should be just as fast as it is in IV, but should activate car alarms(if any) and be obvious to anyone in eye sight.

As for hot wiring, keep it like it is in IV where you tap L2 and R2
  • CanOdope likes this

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (spike88 @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 00:28)

RDR has safe cracking.

Initially GTA IV was going to have a system where cops would follow you for a little bit if they saw that your window was broken out, but decided to take it out. Which would help if you could lock pick, but I think that would be annoying(especially since Niko punches out windows instead of rolling them down when he wants to fire)

I'm all for lock picking if it's purely optional. If you decide to lock pick it should take longer(if there is a mini game it should be like the current hot wiring one in GTA IV where you just gotta tap R2 and L2 ), but it would be quieter and not trigger car alarms. The only way someone realizes you're stealing the car is if they're driving or walking right next to it. Breaking the window should be the default option(hold triangle to lock pick, tap to break window) should be just as fast as it is in IV, but should activate car alarms(if any) and be obvious to anyone in eye sight.

Thats actually a pretty good idea. But I think that you should have to press triangle /Y to go to the door and the player will check if it's unlocked. But you must then press another button (unsure which) ,before the main character automatically smashes the window, to go into lock picking.

spike88
  • spike88

Big Boss

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 19:39)
QUOTE (spike88 @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 00:28)

RDR has safe cracking.

Thats actually a pretty good idea. But I think that you should have to press triangle /Y to go to the door and the player will check if it's unlocked. But you must then press another button (unsure which) ,before the main character automatically smashes the window, to go into lock picking.

Good point. Niko already pulls the handle before smashing out the window. If you tap triangle /Y and then don't put in any input, the main character will smash the window upon realizing that it's locked. If you hold triangle the character will still check the door, but will automatically go to trying to pick the lock if it's locked, and if you tap triangle and then hold it just after the character realizes it's locked, you'll start lock picking.

sclodyon
  • sclodyon

Harbinger

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

I just run up to their driver-side window and blow the f*ck outta them with a shottie. Then I get in and drive off. No need for these petty lockpicks.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

^Amen brother! That's what I do!

A320
  • A320

Official Member of the Anti-Realism Brigade

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

No, keep it simple just as it is right now. If you just press Triangle/Y it takes longer, if you repeadetly press Square/X you start the car faster.

GTASAIDEAMASTER
  • GTASAIDEAMASTER

Made in china.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

It's pathetic how people keep comparing GTA to other games when someone suggests something new.Guess what,GTA is copying other games who had driving and shooting first,what about we make a game where all we do is look at the camera of an epic city we'll never get to explore because we can't drive or shoot otherwise we'll be copying other games.

Think.

OT:
It could get easily frustrating.

For me
Lockpicking - No,I can just use my leg or arm to break the window and open the car.Perhaps when we are sneaking and try to steal a car that way,the minigame will be activated so we lockpick it and don't attract heat.
Hotwiring - Trucks,planes,helicopters,bigger boats,faster cars.You'd only have to do it once on that vehicle though.I can't picture how it would be in multiplayer.Perhaps this could be an option in single player too though,as it could easily get frustrating.

eSJe
  • eSJe

NPC

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

I voted Both

We don't steal a parked car while chased by police (it needs calm and time).
So, I don't want the stealing is easy as pie while police shooting on us.
we pointing the gun to the driver to force him out when we in "emergency".

Civkiller
  • Civkiller

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

I voted Both, would be cool although in the beginning if there was a cop who spotted us doing this they would beat our asses up and down the street before we can get it started lol

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Ok. Read my words. GTA V will never be mafia II. It doesn't need to be mafia II. That's why mafia II exists!

No. I know what you're going to say. "So you'd rather it be saints row the third?" No, you moron! I want it to be GTA! GTA has always filled a very specific niche. People who think the really crazy sandboxes are too nutty, but also found that the first mafia game on PS2 and other realistic equivalents were too realistic. GTA fits snugly right between those lines. Why do i bring this up?

Lockpicking and hotwiring would just be tedious. Hell, even mafia 2 let you smash the window, and even that game did not have a tedious hotwiring game. GTA is fast paced because that's GTA's style. Yet, it also has really detailed environments and "as accurate as possible for a sandbox game on that particular hardware" physics that suit the games well.

Have any of you played bioshock? For those who have, remember every time you decided to hack a machine, you had to play a pipe dream minigame? Because this would be like that. Oh sure, it'd be interesting the first 5 times you played it, but it would very quickly become tedious and annoying. You want to experience what a lock picking and hotwiring system would be like first hand? Play the modern HD version of alone in the dark, then get back to me on that.

JohnnyBNL
  • JohnnyBNL

Flying Dutch Man

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Let it be a option that you can turn on or off..

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

I chose neither

Euda
  • Euda

youtube/pascalwaschbrett

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

I think those Minigames would totally ruin the feeling, especially those primitive-made GTA:CW-like 2D-ones.

Sean_R_LFC
  • Sean_R_LFC

We don't need no thought control

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

The lock picking would work, because you could have the choice of smashing the window, hotwiring would be a chore because you have to hotwire every car...

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Screw that noise. As like a part of some multiplayer game that would be great.

For instance a cops and crooks variation where the crooks are small time and just stealing cars. First the lock picking minigame which varies in difficulty depending on the car, then the hotwiring game. All the while the cop players patrol chunk of San An looking for any trouble. If you do it wrong the alarm goes off and the police are alerted. See how much money you can get for stolen vehicles in a given time. That would be ok.

But having to do that in singleplayer would make gameplay really slow.

CDT_boss
  • CDT_boss

Just Chillin' N Cruisin'

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

No I would not like a minigame where you have to lockpick, unless it is fast and easy like the hotwiring in GTA IV where you could tap L2 or R2 to make it go faster. Maybe you could circle the right or left stick around for lockpicking? as an option instead of breaking the window.

koothara
  • koothara

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

It is not suited for GTA.Maybe suited for slow games like mafia.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users