False Advertising Annoys Me

21 replies to this topic
MostOfAll
  • MostOfAll

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

"Rihanna talks Chris Brown and having babies"

The post simply consisted of her talking about breaking up with Chris Brown, collaborating with Chris Brown, and when she intended to have kids.

It really annoys the hell out of me when these people intentionally attempt to mislead the public like that. That's just one example. They should be shunned for false advertising and defamation. All they're doing is stirring up annoying gossip and false rumors.

Mark
  • Mark

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

If you read the title literally without jumping to conclusions, it does nothing of the sort..

The author was trying to write a sensationalist title without lying. They succeeded. More people will end up reading the article.

MostOfAll
  • MostOfAll

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (Mark @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 05:08)
If you read the title literally without jumping to conclusions, it does nothing of the sort..

The author was trying to write a sensationalist title without lying. They succeeded. More people will end up reading the article.

I didn't fall for the title. It's just that I know for sure MANY people would. I was reading the comments, and this one girl wrote:
"SAY WHAT?"

That annoyed me. I know it's on the readers' part, too, and I should also be annoyed at them for that.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

Of all the false advertising in the world, a news story about Chris f*cking Brown has you riled up?

Hell, Allen, hate to break this to you but the world only gets more frustrating from here. wink.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

That's not false advertising or misleading to be honest.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

If you find yourself getting angry at misleading titles on websites you're probably doing something wrong. Eventually you'll train yourself to filter spam out. But I can see where your anger comes from; the fact that we have enough idiots out there who actually believe what their clicking on is legitimate when they find 'buzzy' videos is sad.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

you know the real issue here is... why do you give a sh*t about Rhianna's personal life?
or any celebrity for that matter.

people who follow the lives of the undeserving rich and famous have always confounded me.
what could possibly be so interesting?
the only thing these people deserve is less attention and much less wealth for what they actually "contribute" to the world.

when I see bitches browsing those gossip magazines at the counter when I'm line to buy groceries I wanna smack em' upside the head, tell them to get a life, and set the whole magazine rack on fire. when I see guys reading those magazines I facepalm and just hope they're gay....

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

See, I don't have problems with being misled like this. I see words like 'Rihanna' and 'Chris Brown' and automatically filter them as spam. You just have to have a natural inclination to despise pop culture and the droning gossip it breeds. cool.gif

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

me?

I don't despise pop culture, not at all.
I despise false idols and our celebrity-obsessed society.

there's plenty of aspects of our pop culture that I enjoy.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

False advertisement would be... If you open a can of Spaghettios, and it turns out to be full of Reese's Puff Cereal.
This is just a misleading title, which tabloids tend to use.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

That's not even misleading if you're able to parse English. Rihanna is talking about two topics "Chris Brown" and "babies".

Shaunr
  • Shaunr

Cooljunk Productions

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Annoys me, and just plain pisses me off. Especially sh*t like this user posted image
Adblock gets most of them though, but it pains me that people have to lie in such a sh*tty way.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 07:50)
See, I don't have problems with being misled like this. I see words like 'Rihanna' and 'Chris Brown' and automatically filter them as spam. You just have to have a natural inclination to despise pop culture and the droning gossip it breeds. cool.gif

Couldn't agree more, man. In work we have a ton of these gossip magazines, literally hundreds of the things. They all have ridiculous headlines such as "My husband was my brother...but now he's my father!". It's crazy, but as you said, you learn to filter out crap like this. The same can be said for most things, music, film, etc. If you don't like a band, you don't listen to them. It's as simple as that. Allen14n, I really don't get how you thought you were being misled by that title but it seems that the blame would most likely fall on you.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 00:13)
QUOTE (Mark @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 05:08)

I didn't fall for the title. It's just that I know for sure MANY people would. I was reading the comments, and this one girl wrote:
"SAY WHAT?"

That annoyed me. I know it's on the readers' part, too, and I should also be annoyed at them for that.

Well, the idea of sensational titles like that is for them to rope in complete morons that take things completely at face value. Mission accomplished.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 16:40)
That's not false advertising or misleading to be honest.

It can be mis-interpreted, but i doubt that was intentional, most people with half a piece of common sense will read that and go 'Rhianna and Chris brown are broken up so this article must be about Chris brown, and Rhiannas interest of having children (Not with Chris Brown).

Allen the last week you seem to have had a run of horrible topics, please stop.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 06:44)
you know the real issue here is... why do you give a sh*t about Rhianna's personal life?

people who follow the lives of the undeserving rich and famous have always confounded me.
the only thing these people deserve is less attention and much less wealth for what they actually "contribute" to the world.

when I see bitches browsing those gossip magazines at the counter when I'm line to buy groceries I wanna smack em' upside the head, tell them to get a life, and set the whole magazine rack on fire. when I see guys reading those magazines I facepalm and just hope they're gay....

I absolutely agree with you there! Why the f*ck people give a sh!t about anyone else's lives (especially to the extent where they will pay for a magazine or go on the web especially for it) I will never know what the stupid people think is so important about them. So get a life and stop posting about a slightly misleading but equally stupid title. There are lots of adverts out there that are actually false advertising and you don't care. So shut up about this one.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 00:50)

I absolutely agree with you there! Why the f*ck people give a sh!t about anyone else's lives (especially to the extent where they will pay for a magazine or go on the web especially for it) I will never know what the stupid people think is so important about them. So get a life and stop posting about a slightly misleading but equally stupid title. There are lots of adverts out there that are actually false advertising and you don't care. So shut up about this one.

Take a seat Nigga! You been told!

MostOfAll
  • MostOfAll

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:04 PM Edited by Allen14n, 06 April 2012 - 05:18 PM.

QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 13:50)

You don't even get the damn point. I could care less about celebrities. It's just that people make so big of a deal with stuff like that. I just hate it when people get misinformed. Next thing you know there will people a bunch of people at my school annoyingly blabbering this kind of trash. Our society is OBSESSED with pop culture, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Why do you people assume so much? I saw the damn article or post because I apparently clicked the "like" button on a local radio station's Facebook page. They post ridiculous posts all the time, and it annoys the hell out of me. The comments people put on those blog posts annoy me even more because they seem to be OBSESSED with stuff like that. Contrary to your belief, I don't aimlessly wander around on these celebrity gossip websites.

Do you understand now? Next time, don't assume so much. All you're doing is making yourself look like a fool. I did NOT get misled by the titles. I am not as gullible as some of you want me to be. Unlike your stupid belief, I also don't spend that much time reading useless gossip websites and magazines. I just believe in a fair society where people's vulnerability should NOT be exploited and where people should NEVER be that gullible. This is exactly why the Trayvon Martin case is so hyped up; the media is intentionally misleading the public to believe this is some sort of racial hate crime. Unfortunately, some people are so stupid enough to believe that.

As a matter of fact, I took screenshots of what I frequently see on my Facebook News Feed. This stuff is ANNOYING.
user posted image

user posted image

Now, do you finally comprehend what I was trying to say to you? No more stupid assumptions next time, alright?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, I find that sh*t annoying, too. Click "unlike" and you'll never be bothered by it.

How'd they rope you in? The promise of winning concert tickets? f*ck them. Don't "like" anything on FB that you don't want to hear from on a daily basis. Simple as that. wink.gif

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Journalism has gone down the pit as most of the things you read are like blog post.
Speaking of bloggers, they some how became like mini celebrities, which I find that sh*t annoying as hell as most of
the info they get are from the internet! Where is that time when journalism, is when the reporter actually getting into the action instead of doing a stupid Google search!
Also celebrities sh*t are more important as they appear on the front page instead of lets say a meteroid is on a
collision course towards Earth. sigh.gif

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 10:04)
You don't even get the damn point. I could care less about celebrities. It's just that people make so big of a deal with stuff like that. I just hate it when people get misinformed. Next thing you know there will people a bunch of people at my school annoyingly blabbering this kind of trash. Our society is OBSESSED with pop culture, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Why do you people assume so much? I saw the damn article or post because I apparently clicked the "like" button on a local radio station's Facebook page. They post ridiculous posts all the time, and it annoys the hell out of me. The comments people put on those blog posts annoy me even more because they seem to be OBSESSED with stuff like that. Contrary to your belief, I don't aimlessly wander around on these celebrity gossip websites.

Do you understand now? Next time, don't assume so much. All you're doing is making yourself look like a fool. I did NOT get misled by the titles. I am not as gullible as some of you want me to be. Unlike your stupid belief, I also don't spend that much time reading useless gossip websites and magazines. I just believe in a fair society where people's vulnerability should NOT be exploited and where people should NEVER be that gullible. This is exactly why the Trayvon Martin case is so hyped up; the media is intentionally misleading the public to believe this is some sort of racial hate crime. Unfortunately, some people are so stupid enough to believe that.

Now, do you finally comprehend what I was trying to say to you? No more stupid assumptions next time, alright?

you mad bro?

user posted image

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

lol When I don't care about something I don't read it. So you're saying you clicked it to make sure it was suitable for the public? You're a modern day internet superhero I tells ya.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users