Photo

Installation

16 replies to this topic
ItsOnlyAce
  • ItsOnlyAce

مقاتل

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

So ive had a Roxio Game Capture since about Christmas and never had the time to install it. Now that I do, I cant confused.gif When I try to install the first disk, it tells me exactly this....

The operating system does not meet the minimum requirements for Roxio Game Capture.

One of these products will need to be installed.

Microsoft Windows XP SP2 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)
Microsoft Vista SP2 (32/64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32/64-bit)

...Im not sure where to download these things. If it costs I want the cheapest ones. Sorry, I am horrible with computers and I feel embarrassed posting this but I just need some help. blush.gif

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

The following requirements are operating systems. If you can post this thread, then you are running on a operating system.
You have a Apple computer or something?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

If you are running a Windows PC then on your Desktop you will have "My Computer" right click that and then click Properties to find out what version of Windows you are running, if you do not meet those requirement then there is your problem.

It doesn't really matter what "Bit" your system is it would just need to be the most up to date version of XP, Vista or 7. So really that knocks out 95, 98, ME, NT or any of the server based editions of Windows.

If you are running a Mac then your bang outta luck.

If you have one of those version check to make sure its up date via Windows Update and then try again, if not they you would be best to contact Roxio themselves for further support.

ItsOnlyAce
  • ItsOnlyAce

مقاتل

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I checked the properties and it says I have Windows Vista Business. Wouldn't that count as a Vista SP2 or am I wrong again? Thanks for the help I really appreciate this icon14.gif

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

For Service Pack 2, it will say Windows Vista Business and a few lines down
it will say Service Pack 2. If it doesn't say service pack 2 anywhere on that properties window, then you don't have it.

You can get service pack 2 from Windows update or download the stand alone version from Microsoft's website.
You must first install service pack 1 before installing service pack 2.
Download the correct one for your system. If you have Vista Business 32bit, then download the 32bit version.
Disable automatic restart, let it install everything first and then restart.

Microsoft Vista Service Pack 1 32bit
Microsoft Vista Service Pack 1 64bit

Microsoft Vista Service Pack 2 32bit
Microsoft Vista Service Pack 2 64bit

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (ItsOnlyAce @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 15:26)
I checked the properties and it says I have Windows Vista Business. Wouldn't that count as a Vista SP2 or am I wrong again? Thanks for the help I really appreciate this icon14.gif

Possibly not, as the Business Edition was aimed at small businesses, so Roxio probably wouldn't support that Operation System, as the software program you have would be aimed at the sole user market not the small business market and usually software producers will write separate software for the business user market (usually so they can charge them more).

I would still advise contact Roxio to check this however, and if that is the case, then again you would be bang outta luck, unless Roxio have an alternative.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 16:47)

Possibly not, as the Business Edition was aimed at small businesses, so Roxio probably wouldn't support that Operation System, as the software program you have would be aimed at the sole user market not the small business market and usually software producers will write separate software for the business user market (usually so they can charge them more).

I would still advise contact Roxio to check this however, and if that is the case, then again you would be bang outta luck, unless Roxio have an alternative.

The core of all Vista are exactly the same, it's just a few features here or there that sets each editions apart
His Roxio program will work with Vista Business. smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

I had a similar ordeal, and I was playing around with a newer Roxio app in fact! Mine loaded, but doing a fresh Win XP fix, I also need to have SP3 on hand, of which I was able to get a burned disc of the Service Pack, but prior, at the time of it's release it was downloaded as SP3, I think it will patch up a SP1 edition as well, if 32 and 64bit are covered, that's not a problem, but match SP packs to your bit needs of the OS you have, which should also be mentioned UP FRONT for everyone to know what you're lacking

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 17:56)

The core of all Vista are exactly the same, it's just a few features here or there that sets each editions apart

Yes I agree the architecture of all the Vista versions are the same so really it should work, but call me cynical but the fact is it will be labeled within the Operating System that it is the "Business" edition, therefore the software will be written to recognise this and not to allow the install.

As most software developers don't like retail software to be used by business, it's written into most EULA's, as they don't like the idea of other business profiteering off their backs without them paying them for the privilege, that's why things like anti-virus software have enterprise editions which cost a fortune.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:05 PM Edited by Slamman, 06 April 2012 - 09:10 PM.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

You can download just the Service Packs from any reputable site hosting them, but of course, normal updates get the SP and the Hotfixes and patches if you keep connected, but rest assured, Vista, Business, Enterprise, Premium, or Basic, the SP is the same, just as it was SP4 for Windows NT way back when! hahaha

My experience was directly related to Vista Business with the Compaq 6710b model, as I recall, and getting a Vista Biz install disc from my friend at Techspot, a Dell Restore disc that he didn't need or want. I can use that any time, but as mentioned, you give up Multimedia tools that hurt guys like me the most, you'd be left at worst using Windows LIVE versions, online, which at least work much the same, if not better, perhaps
Vista Business beefs up security measures, but that's the main focus, Enterprise would cover all the bells and whistles

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

@Gareth Croke
I think Stinky might be write. It might be that he hasn't updated to the latest patches for whatever reason.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:53 AM Edited by Slamman, 07 April 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Basically I've seen the same error, I can't recall if it was Roxio or even what version Roxio I was test driving, it installs a pop up icon for burning on the task bar, for one indicator

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 20:55)

Yes I agree the architecture of all the Vista versions are the same so really it should work, but call me cynical but the fact is it will be labeled within the Operating System that it is the "Business" edition, therefore the software will be written to recognise this and not to allow the install.

As most software developers don't like retail software to be used by business, it's written into most EULA's, as they don't like the idea of other business profiteering off their backs without them paying them for the privilege, that's why things like anti-virus software have enterprise editions which cost a fortune.

I've experience the opposite with some special software where is will only work on Business and not Home Premium.
Vista Business is actually another name for Professional, where IMO MS wanted to let buyers get the sense Vista Business is, you will use it in a
business environment and Home Premium is for home. This may have confused some as Windows XP Professional wasn't heavily targeted towards business use, as a lot of home users
have it as well. The word professional just makes it sound better even if the user have no idea what the major differences between Pro and Home.
Now Win7 isn't called Win7 business it's Win7 Professional.

Some quick features that Home don't have are
- supports up to 192GB (64bit only), Win7 home 64bit only supports up to 16GB max
- 10 year support life (Home and Ultimate both only has 5 years as MS categorized Ultimate as home use)
- Group Policy support
- Support backup to network (NAS)
- XP Mode
- Remote Desktop
- Dynamic Disk
- Can create/join a domain
- Dual CPU support (as in 2 physical CPUs) So if you ever going to build a system out of this you will need at least to start
with Professional.

ItsOnlyAce
  • ItsOnlyAce

مقاتل

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:44 AM Edited by ItsOnlyAce, 07 April 2012 - 05:48 AM.

Yeah i checked the properties again and i only have service pack one sadly.
I will download the updates
Thanks for the help guys i highly appreciate this icon14.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:33 PM Edited by Slamman, 07 April 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Service Pack 1 is what's out there for Win7 now I believe?! I admit, I have only one copy of Win7 thus far, and I wish I had more, but XP is one helluva workhorse, don't ditch it in the trash yet!
Even with ending support, it will work offline and with other AV apps, but it won't be patched from MS when support ends, the worst thing about that is MS might have a much needed security hole fix come up after the fact that an AV application can't resolve. It's similar to if you used Windows 95, or Windows 98 or WinME to go online with AntiVirus or Rootkit protection, they've been out so long that the Net has advanced much further, HOWEVER, exploits are only a concern if someone is exploiting. In cases, malware can be unmanned, and just existing out there where it's already gone to seed, you wind up stumbling onto it and inviting it into your computer, if you're unaware, as AV software does all this scanning for you, but that's the big worry since servers handle traffic of Net flow, but they aren't checked by humans constantly to weed out malware infected softs

Having a database online of Malware and issues that are discovered helps to cross reference something suspicious, but that's after it's been uncovered of course. Still, it's worthy to have these resources, and your AV reporting findings, have at least two in place.

That as well as update should probably run online whenever you think to check it and you're online with your computer/OS
I'd schedule it for Wednesday or Tuesday if having it automated?! Someone can offer their own opin of course

Even after a service pack update, of which, keep that SP file stored on a media card or something, since it comes in handy any time you format a new system, there will still be updates, if you're testing Windows 8 for example, there are already a SP size amount of updates since the ISO was offered! haha

Bit Locker is also in the Business version isn't it? XP Pro is also beefed up security, the real differences outside of all the security features set is that there's the Fax and Business applications present for Vista Biz users, where as Home Premium has the Media Center and Movie Maker of Windows MCE advanced since then, the Live Essentials pack, as I allude to, should allow an OS user access if they still want a more complete, well rounded Windows to use

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Saturday, Apr 7 2012, 04:03)
QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 20:55)
<snip>

<snip>
<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, as I mentioned I'm probably being cynical about general business practices these days... plus I bypassed Vista because it was bobbins, so I'm not that familiar with that range.

But anyway I feel like I've been derailing this topic, back to you in the studio IOA

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Hard to buy your opinion when you offer no insight for your feelings regarding Vista, or examined why the OS is tiered as it is, It's right to suspect the feature set is aimed at the buying demographic intended for purchasing it, considering it's going to be in bulk in the case of most business or educational systems.

Looking at Windows 8, today, it seems Bit Locker is Digital Locker now?? Hmmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users