That's MemeSense

28 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Anyone got an idea behind this Internet popularity, and even why Meme is making it into a legit lexicon? I don't feel it warrants that much merit

http://now.msn.com/l...c-guy-meme.aspx

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Godammit. We're becoming an Idiocracy. Its happening right before our eyes people.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Oh look, a new meme. The number of f*cks I give will be, presented in exclamation marks below.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

I read that story, and I'm currently laughing at the fact that a related story on that site was, "Pentagon will pay you to be an Internet meme tracker". lol.gif

But in all seriousness now I think memes are getting worse. I miss the old days of CSI: Miami, Chuck Norris, GTA and Rick Astley memes. confused.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

MSN also carrying a story about a new urinal that lets men play guitar with their pee! WOW! Nifty gadget of the year!

I have to include this as it's been something of a mystery for some; Just the Wiki makes it seem all intellect and such like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • Palau

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

It's the fault of 10/20somethings who think this sh*t is funny. At my school there are kids who've been saying 'yolo' after everything they say, and people who make sh*tty references to the fact that they've visited 4chan (For example a teacher might ask the class what they do all day, and someone else might grin, and say the word "4chan." , and his friends will chuckle as if that was funny.)

I don't enjoy internet memes anyways because they're just a way of saying "I know what this is, aren't I fantastically knowledgeable?" which usually doesn't bug me so much because we all do that in one way or another, but the fact that people think their funny for repeating a phrase that has so much ad nauseam pisses me off.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:12 PM Edited by El Zilcho, 05 April 2012 - 12:14 PM.

4Chan memes never used to be part of pop culture, rather they were some sort of underground culture. So it frustrates me when I see facebook plastered with trollfaces, or people spamming Challenge Accepted like it's going out of fashion. Well, it kind of is actually...

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Media like to ruin things as they spread the word to the general public. One I call on top of my head is "fail".
They used on the most idiotic things which aren't even funny. confused.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I used to like some memes but now they're all just pretty much rubbish. The worst one I've come across recently is this "Dolan Duck" character. Honestly, it has to be the largest pile of sh*t ever compiled on the Internet. They completely lack humour in every sense, are ugly to look at and exist purely for retards who can't think of something original. I've stopped going to a lot of sites purely because these memes are popping up everywhere. If at least 90% of them were funny, I wouldn't have a problem with them being all over the place, but the fact that they're just humourless makes them annoying.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 23:25)
I used to like some memes but now they're all just pretty much rubbish. The worst one I've come across recently is this "Dolan Duck" character. Honestly, it has to be the largest pile of sh*t ever compiled on the Internet. \

Gooby, and Dafty and pruto.

It's pretty horrible i agree, this meme slam has shown is actually not bad, kinda made me smile as it reminds me of the HIMYM episode where the gang are trying to capture a bad photo of barney and it is seemingly impossible haha.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Hellina Handbasket @ sh*tty comment to sh*tty MSN article)
WHooooh ..He is too d@@@ CUTE !  Where did they find him?  however,,he looks just TOO happy, maybe freshly showered to be running in a race. He would be much more appropriate  in a  different setting.  Having him directly behind me would be a  detterant..I wouldnt be able to run, because I would be thinking how this gorgeous guy is behind me and it would make me self-conscious thinking he is looking at my big posterior! [ha ha] then again..it COULD be an incentive to make me run ,to get in better shape, so this could go both ways. He looks straight to me ! and I LOVE HIS NAME . must be short for Zedidiah Im guessing...

ZOMFG X2!!!!

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Memes were quality back in '09 but now I barely chuckle ._.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

I don't see the problem with memes as long as they make you smile or elicit some sort of positive emotional reaction, but the stuff i've been seeing lately is neither funny nor original.

I do still have a lot of fun with memes mocking current events, those always make me smile.

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

To be fair, he is quite gorgeous.

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I find him quite funny actually.

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I personally think memes can be pretty funny, and the one slamman linked is pretty funny too. If I'm bored I'll often go on 9gag or memebase. Yh some of them suck, but a lot are good and although it might lack originality sometimes that doesn't mean it's not funny.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 20:12)
So it frustrates me when I see facebook plastered with trollfaces, or people spamming Challenge Accepted like it's going out of fashion. Well, it kind of is actually...

Oh god, you're so gonna hate my new class T-Shirt
user posted image

I think memes are pretty funny. Well it's probably my generation's thing. These troll faces memes are pretty much based on the little things we enjoy in real life so it's all harmless fun.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

To me, an internet meme is no different to quoting a TV show and adding a different word in to suit the situation, or singing or a song lyric with a different word in. There's always going to be a fine line between what's funny and what's too far because humour is one of the hardest things to measure. It's as subjective as music taste, or film preferences. I see people my age who watch certain things on TV and they go right over my head. Sure, they get annoying but there's no way of avoiding them.

Hell, one particular meme is even creeping into advertising... just look at that billboard behind me.

user posted image

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

He does look rather dashing.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Craig @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 16:17)
humour is one of the hardest things to measure. It's as subjective as music taste, or film preferences.

I completely agree with you on this. I must admit that the "Close Enough" meme can be quite funny, especially when their result is rather crude. I don't mind some of the memes that point out little day-to-day things but, quite often, they get repeated time and time again. It becomes boring. Also, "Success Kid" can be quite funny sometimes. I posted a picture in the "Funny Picture" topic, I don't know if it's classed as a meme, but I like those ones too.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (DP Man @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 08:27)
Memes were quality back in '09 but now I barely chuckle ._.

user posted image

user posted image

ad nauseum.

They were never quality. They're the lowest-common denominator of humor. Get over yourself.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I remember when memes started appearing on clothing and 4chan decided to rebel.

I believe they tried turning one of the memes into something racist in order to stop people wearing them, but I can't remember what it was... "Operation... something" confused.gif

^^^ Someone help me out whatsthat.gif

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • Palau

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Kent Traffic Cop @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 12:24)
I remember when memes started appearing on clothing and 4chan decided to rebel.

I believe they tried turning one of the memes into something racist in order to stop people wearing them, but I can't remember what it was... "Operation... something" confused.gif

^^^ Someone help me out whatsthat.gif

Some google-fu got me "Race Guy" on knowyourmeme. You were thinking of Operation: Black rage.

Since I'm posting again anyways I'd like to point out that the word meme refers to an inside joke among a group/sub-culture/clique/etc., since the internet is so widespread "internet memes" are arguably not even memes. (Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm not up to date on the definition of any words.)

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (zoo3891 @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 00:49)
Some google-fu got me "Race Guy" on knowyourmeme. You were thinking of Operation: Black rage.

That'll be the one icon14.gif

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

Anything can become a meme these days, I found this one pretty silly and all the 'captions' that you use for him are soon gonna run out. I don't find it funny at all, but I did chuckle at, 'Smiles at girl taking picture, She is now pregnant'.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

I personally think memes can be quite funny sometimes.. yeah some of them just plain sucks if repeated over and over (arrow to the knee), but some can be very funny

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:15 PM Edited by Slamman, 07 April 2012 - 03:24 PM.

I wish there were more creative Web imagery to sum up thoughts, expressly much like a gift card, but I still find it lacking here and there

What was most odd finding out, is how it's seemingly pronounced, not as it appears, but I felt the article cast new observations on the Net phenom, though it's not so new

Doctor EVIL ones RULE, BTW

See this page...
http://memebase.com/vote/page/205/

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

He's everywhere!

user posted image

Slamman
  • Slamman