» «
Photo

Geocaching

29 replies to this topic
GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:16 AM Edited by GTA-King, 05 April 2012 - 01:55 AM.

http://www.geocaching.com/

I found out about this from the movie Splinter Heads and was very interested in it. Sounds really fun! Almost like a real life Uncharted. Has anyone else heard of this, or done it themselves?

Discuss. cool.gif

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

What do you get if you find one?

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 01:32)
What do you get if you find one?

Could be anything from an old toy, to $100... but you have to leave something if you take something. Rules of the game.

smile.gif

I'm going to save up for a GPS and try this out.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Hmm. Sounds intriguing. I don't know what I would leave. Maybe a dollar.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 01:39)

I would probably leave Duke Nukem Forever.

/not joking

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 01:40)
QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 01:39)

I would probably leave Duke Nukem Forever.

/not joking

Oooh. Thats even colder. That ain't worth nothin.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

This is very interesting. I looked on the map on their site and found quite a few caches around my city, one was even down the road from where I live (I ought to have a look for that one). wink.gif

Although the location of the nearest one was where I had just walked a few days ago, I never saw anything. Since it was by the river it must have either been found already or kicked in the water by someone. confused.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Looks sooo fun!

@AlexGTAGamer: I forgot to link the official website. Thanks for reminding me! icon14.gif

Mr. Reaper.
  • Mr. Reaper.

THR-MC ✠ PREZ

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Used to run sessions of this myself.

All groups were given four codes each linking to a location at the location was a code however one location there was list of the codes and there order with a safe.

The codes were a combonation to the safe with a cash prize inside.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

I did this with my dad about four years ago. He did some easier ones because we were both new to geocaching, but I'd like to maybe do some harder ones on my own someday.

Please, as someone who wasted three hours walking around a dense forest looking for a box in thick bushes, I ask you not to steal the boxes.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

I've had some experience geocaching, haven't done it in awhile but will probably start up again once the weather gets better.

For those who are intrigued by the sound of this, definitely try it! geocaches are located all over and I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few within walking distance for most of us.

Good thread GTA-King icon14.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:25 AM Edited by finn4life, 05 April 2012 - 05:30 AM.

I have found a geocache near myself atop a hill, I walked up there and I was picking up rocks and rolling them down the hill, I picked up a particularly large one and underneath was a box, I opened it and found the geocache note explaining the rules, and the box was full of a random assortment of items, bouncy balls, golf ball a find a word and some other stuff.
I will head up the hill and see if I can find it again and post a photo so : you guys have an idea of how they may be hidden and what's inside.

@Alexgta, as you see in my post they canny be pretty hard to find.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:05 AM Edited by Outcast, 05 April 2012 - 06:11 AM.

For those who are wondering what geocaches look like, i've uploaded pictures of some geocaches i've found.

They can come in various shapes and sizes but usually they're either some form of small container containing a scroll of paper (for you to sign and date) or a larger container of some sort which can contain little trinkets and bits and pieces which you can take (but have to replace with something of your own).

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

These geocaches were found in London and somewhere near Stuttgart in the forests. One of them was found in the rafters inside this tower at the top of a steep hill which we climbed in the dead of night (just had an urge to go geocaching suddenly). Damn near killed myself on the way down.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Wow, that is really neat Outcast!

I plan to go on my first ever geocache hunt this weekend with some friends. Apparently there is one near an old cave where I live. I can't wait! biggrin.gif

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks man! and about your earlier post about getting a GPS for this, it isnt necessary. Unless you're a very dedicated geocacher an iPhone or iPod Touch with the right app will serve you absolutely fine. Both the GPS and Geocaching apps only take you to the general area anyway, the fun is in locating the cache through a bit of detective work.

It's a fun activity and afterwards you have a small sense of accomplishment, much more satisfying than spending the day sitting inside playing video games and such.

wink.gif

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

Sounds really interesting.. like a real-life Uncharted. Awesome!

bluesboyjr
  • bluesboyjr

Founder of the Zee Memorial Foundation

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I just did my first one today. I went on the website, put in my postcode and found one which was just around the corner from where I am at home from university for Easter. It was in a small public "park" I used to go to often when I was a little kid, but I haven't walked through for years. This cache was a film cannister lodged in a tree, which I found pretty quickly, so that's one success for me!

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

did you get pictures? the first cache is always exciting

bluesboyjr
  • bluesboyjr

Founder of the Zee Memorial Foundation

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 19:21)
did you get pictures? the first cache is always exciting

Nah, but I know where it is now so I might go on another walk in a few days and take a photo on my way to the local friary, where two are supposedly hidden (one of them's a box instead of a cannister, so maybe there'll be something interesting inside).

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thinking about starting this again during the fall...

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

I was walking through a park near my house and stumbled across one randomly a few weeks ago.

user posted image

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

I have terrible luck finding geocaches. I get to the locations but never seem to find the actual cache. After trying 6 or 7 locations I gave up out of disappointment. I think someone steals them. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

GTAVKing
  • GTAVKing

Breaking bad= Best show ever

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

Its Awesome that there is fellow Geocachers on GTA forums im still a bit of a newbie but I will post my findings here.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I did it with my dad when I was a kid. One of the most interesting things was finding these amazing nature paths that you'd normally have no reason to walk through or even know existed. We saw plains that reminded me of those movies about African safaris just a few miles outside the city. happy.gif

I'd do it again if I could.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Pff Uncharted ain't got sh*t on geocaching, I've done it a few times, the last time I found a used condom in the cache. Combining urbex and geocaching is way more fun.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

may His darkness be your light

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

My lil bro told me about this last year, he made it he hobby of choice for him and his girlfriend: they hunt for caches, and when they find it they have celebritory sex there and put an unopened condom in the cache if theres room for it.

Weather they are used or truly unopened, idk, its hard to tell when my bro is lying or not.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by VF94, 01 September 2013 - 08:47 PM.

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 19:42)
My lil bro told me about this last year, he made it he hobby of choice for him and his girlfriend: they hunt for caches, and when they find it they have celebritory sex there and put an unopened condom in the cache if theres room for it.

Weather they are used or truly unopened, idk, its hard to tell when my bro is lying or not.

Tell your brother I'm coming for him. Pun intended.

jukebox
  • jukebox

Sgt. Knox

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

I used to geocache all the time. It was the best when i would find a traveling bug, which has a tracking number and you take it from one and place it in another and log its tracking number to see where its come from. Some of them are very hard to find, and are stashed in awesome places so you cant just stumble upon them. Ive come across some really big ones hidden in a log to little small ones in the side of a stone wall. It was so much fun, hmmm maybe have to start back up and see if people have ruined the ones that ive visited before.

jukebox
  • jukebox

Sgt. Knox

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Trinette @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 19:08)
I have terrible luck finding geocaches. I get to the locations but never seem to find the actual cache. After trying 6 or 7 locations I gave up out of disappointment. I think someone steals them.  ph34r.gif   ph34r.gif

sometimes there are very well hidden, they should have description of where to look, good luck on others if you go looking again.

Please do not double post. Use the EDIT button. - Girish

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

bush knocked down the towers

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I heard of it before but never tried it. I should try it sometime.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users