• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic
F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 07:14)
QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 08:45)
@rodneythesavior
I seriously doubt that the HDD came lose. It's a pretty tight fit. Plus the HDD itself is usually has a mounting bracket it's screwed to and possibly an adapter of sorts to convert the SATA connection to something that will go to what the laptop's interface is for the drive, this is instead of using cables like you would have in a desktop. Then to top that off the bracket is either screwed down to the housing for the HDD or the screws that hold the back plate in place are doing double duty but also going through the HDD mounting bracket to secure it to the housing.

Side note: It really sucks you lost all of those projects. Maybe what you might want to think about doing while waiting for your laptop to come back is to find an external drive of some kind, be it a portable drive or a full size drive so that you can use for backups. This is what I recently got too bad the price went up $20 from when I got it. Just an example of something to look at is all. Yes, I know it might be over kill to have a 1TB drive to use primarily as backup for a 160GB (in my case) or a 320GB (yours) but then I've never really seen here too much drive space was a bad thing either.

That's just the first thing that came to mind when the HDD wouldn't boot. I don't necessarily think it came loose, but it definitely wasn't put together correctly. But I guess I'll find out in a few days when they tell me exactly what happened.

I've been thinking about getting an External for a while, but there was always something 'more important' to spend money on. But now that I've lost all that data, I'm going to get one as soon as possible. Walmart has a 2TB for $129.99 so I'll just get that. (my projects took up 86GB) So I could use all that extra space without worrying about filling up my laptop's hard drive lol.gif.

Just thought i would let you know, it's much better to save things outside your PC, things like music and photos and your projects because it slows your pc down.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:51 AM Edited by Slamman, 19 April 2012 - 02:56 AM.

As I'd been saying all along, I dislike people blaming Sony for someone else's HDD, as most know, Sony DID make some DELL batteries, not all of them, but the batch that wound up exploding! They also don't make Hard Disk Drives, but they do make optical ones, aka ODD

If it's a warranty issue that you don't have to sweat as much, they'll cover all components, but Sony isn't held in direct fault for a HDD made by someone else, just that it should be expected to perform via Quality Control, you know

The other thing you can do, even with the caddy attached to the laptop drive, tether it to your desktop, boot the desktop and see if it adds the drive so you can move files you need onto your desktop, it works the same as an external drive without the casing costs

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Just got off the phone with Sony Repair Services in Laredo, TX.
They didn't tell me what was wrong, but they told me that the repair has been completed and they'll be shipping it out either later today or Monday. (I'm not getting my hopes up that they'll ship it out today) Hopefully everything's working now.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

If you get a chance, ask, I would, since it's better when it's not a mystery. I'd like to know if I sent a formatted drive WITH the system I can get it back intact, also it's fair to ask about safeguarding the HDD outside the system, like shipping it back without the battery or AC, assuming they have those components that are required
Anyway, I also can see if they want a full return, it's warranted if you switch entire units, same brand or not

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:55 PM Edited by rodneythesavior, 23 April 2012 - 09:04 PM.

I just got my laptop back, and on the report sheet, it said that the Hard-Drive connection was loose. The tightened it,and it works now.
Editing from my VAIO: They didn't format the harddrive or delete anything! Praise the lord!

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes, Amen for that. I never filed in a report to the BBB about my Sony since the mobo was easily replaced, but mine was a straight to Pin out of the PATA connector, newer laptops do the same for SATA so that's a bit odd I believe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users