Driving School

28 replies to this topic
Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm in driving school right now, and the minute I walked in, it was quite clear that everyone else was either stupid or just had no common sense. The easiest questions were like an impossible puzzle to them. I just say there and thought "And they let these people off the leash??" mercie_blink.gif

Anyone else know some idiots like these, with no common sense?

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

What kind of driving school? Like the kind to get a ticket off of your record or a professional driving school? If it's the former, it really doesn't surprise me on the variety of morons you get in there.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I don't really know what driving school is but in the UK where I got my first license (I also hold a PRC licence) you just take lessons and when the instructor has covered everything and thinks you're ready you go on to do the theory test and then the practical. I passed my theory with no study as its logical that the government would design road signs/markings with the view to make it as simple and understandable to even the most idiotic driver. 47/50.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

I passed theory and practical both first try, booyah.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 22:36)
I don't really know what driving school is but in the UK where I got my first license (I also hold a PRC licence) you just take lessons and when the instructor has covered everything and thinks you're ready you go on to do the theory test and then the practical. I passed my theory with no study as its logical that the government would design road signs/markings with the view to make it as simple and understandable to even the most idiotic driver. 47/50.

That's what I mean. Driving courses to get your basic operating license. Here in Ohio, if you are under 18, you are required to take the classes in order to get licensed. But the people that I take it with seem like they have lived under a rock their whole life.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 18:04)

That's what I mean. Driving courses to get your basic operating license. Here in Ohio, if you are under 18, you are required to take the classes in order to get licensed. But the people that I take it with seem like they have lived under a rock their whole life.

Didn't know anywhere in the US required that sh*t. Thought that was a UK/Aus thing. Most places in the US don't require any formal training so any retard under 18 can get a license so long as they've held a learners for 6 months.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Bah. Here you can take theory course at 15, for 900$. Then when you're 16 you can practice on-road until you're 18, when you can take full-on lessons for at minimum 7500 dollars.
F*cking expensive to live here man

Daniel4
  • Daniel4

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 23:10)

Didn't know anywhere in the US required that sh*t. Thought that was a UK/Aus thing. Most places in the US don't require any formal training so any retard under 18 can get a license so long as they've held a learners for 6 months.

The UK doesn't require formal training, as long as you pass both tests

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

I thought you were required to have a certain number of lessons from someone professionally trained?

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Yeah, here, if you're over 18 you don't need the course, but under 18 you need 24 in class and 8 in car, in addition to the two tests. But my driving school is only $275 and another $25 for the license.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

Only? Thats $275 more than it costs for anyone else in the country to get one. The license fee itself is double what mine was. Hell that price isn't too far off of what my fully endorsed class A CDL costs along with my 216 hour professional driving school. What a ripoff. Just another reason why ohio sucks.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:29 AM Edited by Piperka, 04 April 2012 - 05:31 AM.

QUOTE (chris @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 06:43)

Me too tounge.gif

Here (in Perth) to get your licence, you have to;

1. Do a practice test (done in highschool)
2. Get a learners permit (minimum age 16) ~$63
3. Learn to drive by either your parents or instructor ($50 a lesson)
4. Do practical test (minimum age: 16.5) (first time = free, second time = +~$70)
5. Do 25 hours of driving and record in log book, within 6 months (minimum) (log book = $18
6. Do Hazard Perception Test (easy computer test) ~$20
7. Obtain License (minimum Age: 17) ~$37

Total (if passing first time) = ~$140, not including driving instructor lessons

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 17:10)

It's different in each province in Canada, but when I got my learners (which you got by writing two tests: a signs test and a rules of the road test - had to get 16/20 on each to pass), you had to wait a year until you could do the actual driving test with the examiner. If you took a drivers education course, however, you only had to wait four months (although they've changed it to eight months since 2008).

You don't actually need to take it, but it reduces your wait time between theory and practical and it also gives you a lower insurance rate (which when you're young, isn't a bad thing).

Speaking of licencing and such, I need to actually go renew my licence this week as it expires on Sunday.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 05:29)

Me too tounge.gif

4. Do practical test (minimum age: 16.5) (first time = free, second time = +~$70)
5. Do 25 hours of driving and record in log book, within 6 months (minimum) (log book = $18

If i were to come to Perth would i have to retake my driving test if i were to obtain an Aus licence? I've got a full UK DL held for 3 years so would it be a straight conversion or would i have to drive around dodging kangaroo's and sh*t.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'm thinking you'd just need to complete some paperwork to get your Aus license. Even in China, for me to get a PRC Drivers License all I had to do was the theory. Passed it and got a chinese license.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:19 AM Edited by Piperka, 04 April 2012 - 11:35 AM.

QUOTE (chris @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 17:04)
QUOTE (Piperka @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 05:29)

Me too tounge.gif

If i were to come to Perth would i have to retake my driving test if i were to obtain an Aus licence? I've got a full UK DL held for 3 years so would it be a straight conversion or would i have to drive around dodging kangaroo's and sh*t.

I'm sure you could just easily convert with no big issues and like Outcast said, paperwork. Since we also drive on the left, shouldn't be such an issue.

By the way; hurry up and move here already, you've wanted to do it for ages tounge.gif

EDIT: http://www.transport...nsing/20669.asp

Daniel4
  • Daniel4

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 00:26)
I thought you were required to have a certain number of lessons from someone professionally trained?

Not in the UK

NastyTrickster
  • NastyTrickster

A.K.A: NastySix, o0oSixo0o

• Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:48 PM Edited by NastyTrickster, 04 April 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Passed my drivers exame during my militairy days...I can also savely manoeuvre and APC with "sticks" in daily traffic...

But trust me, those simple sacks of water you see in that room don't even come close to what people are in daily traffic.

Always be aware of your surroundings...

Btw the average costs these days in the Netherlands for obtaining your license, 2.175.- (2.858.- U.S Dollars)

Good luck biggrin.gif

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (jaysteels @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 23:12)
Bah. Here you can take theory course at 15, for 900$. Then when you're 16 you can practice on-road until you're 18, when you can take full-on lessons for at minimum 7500 dollars.
F*cking expensive to live here man

My brother turned 16 32 days ago and still doesn't have a driver's license. The reason why is that the only place he can get a permit is at his high school, which unfortunately is always maxed out with people eager to get their driver's license taken away in the first month of driving. He had once chance in December to get his permit but failed the test.

We could go to the DMV instead, but that's a 40-minute interstate drive to Burlington.

At least fatal1ty619 isn't alone with idiots. My sister had her driver's license for 9 months and got a DUI; and she was only 18. I can now officially say that she's a failure.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

No driving lessons in the US, Lurch? Being from Illinois, I thought it was required everywhere. It either needed to be through your school or a private party. They offered it in highschool as long as you turn 16 at some point during the course. I started it my sophomore year when I was 15, turned 16 halfway through, then needed to wait until I finished the class to get my actual license. That would have put it at having a learners from the end of August to the beginning of January... so less than 6 months. Now in Illinois I believe the law is you have to have a learners for NINE months AFTER you turn 16 to get your actual license, you're only allowed to drive with your permit, with someone 18 or older. And I think it's a year before you can drive with more than 1 passenger once you get your license.

This makes me wonder what kind of laws are in place from state to state. I had always assumed it was you were able to get a learners at 15, then as soon as you A) had your driving classes completed, and B) were 16 years old you were set for a regular license upon completely a driving class.

The high school courses are pretty thorough, lasting a whole semester (half year). I ended up Acing the written and passing the driving portion. Did so well myself and 3 others from our classes were at the top and got a pass to take to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and get a license printed up, no need to test at all there as anyone must do.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

None here. They expect you to have a certain number of hours driving with your folks but theres no way to actually verify it. I had driver's ed, but it didn't factor into it at all. Definitely wasn't a requirement.

Daniel4
  • Daniel4

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

In the UK they don't do it at school (as in where you have English and Maths and such, not a driving school) at all, you have to do it privately. People are expected to have lessons with an instructor but they aren't obligatory. You can practice with your parents but you have to get additional insurance and L-plates and the such like.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Driving tests aren't a demonstration of any inane ability to drive, only to follow basic instructions and not do anything stupid over a very short period of time. It stands to reason that a large proportion of drivers are either incompetent or just downright dangerous- most people view driving as a necessary evil, and how on earth are you meant to be good at anything you don't care about?

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 20:13)
Yeah, here, if you're over 18 you don't need the course, but under 18 you need 24 in class and 8 in car, in addition to the two tests. But my driving school is only $275 and another $25 for the license.

Same here in Wisco, I think you need 20 hours in car, 10 driving, 10 observing, that's what I had. I also had to pay $300 for the class, and I didn't learn anything new! Bastards.

But I agree, driving classes are the sh*ttiest thing on the earth. All the women have the dumbest questions, and usually end up failing their test a lot.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Ohio:

You can get temps at 15 1/2, take rules of the road/signs test. Must get 75% overall to get learners permit. If you want license before you turn 18, you must take a driving school term (24 hours in class, 8 hours in-car), then pass the written (computer, now) test. You can take your final driving test at any time after completing the course, and you can get full licensing the day after your 16th birthday. The temps can be renewed up to two times, and can't be renewed after you turn 18.

There is no minimum time from getting your temps to getting your full. As long as you pass all the tests, it is possible to get your full just 22 days after getting temps...

I don't know who would be that stressed for time, but it is possible.

Of course, you can simply renew your temps until you are 18, then do the final test with an instructor, but who wants to wait that long? monocle.gif

@Pico, it sucks that you have your courses in high school. There isn't any high school driving course here in Ohio, you must go out of your way and do it separately. mercie_blink.gif

QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Thursday @ Apr 5 2012, 19:52)
Same here in Wisco, I think you need 20 hours in car, 10 driving, 10 observing, that's what I had. I also had to pay $300 for the class, and I didn't learn anything new! Bastards.

But I agree, driving classes are the sh*ttiest thing on the earth. All the women have the dumbest questions, and usually end up failing their test a lot.

Outside of class, we need 40 hours driving in day, 10 at night. But YES, women are all retarded when it comes to cars.
QUOTE (Instructor)
What are parking lights?

Girl: The red lights in the back of the car?
No... Those are brake lights...
What is a catalytic converter?

(I know that might be hard to figure out, but the answer she gave as retarded nonetheless)

Girl: The thing that turns your car into a Cadillac?

:facepalm:

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

"I don't understand, what happens if 4 people, all stop at the same time, at a 4 way stop. Who goes first?!" or "Round abouts? Wait, we go in a circle? How do they not crash?!"

So maybe I lied, a miss Driving School tounge.gif

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

so..i'm going on a driving lesson in about half an hour. I'm pretty damn excited granted this is just a refresher course, as the last time I drove in the UK was years ago.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 06:49)
so..i'm going on a driving lesson in about half an hour. I'm pretty damn excited granted this is just a refresher course, as the last time I drove in the UK was years ago.

Taking the American mini tank, or the Luxury Limo?

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Neither, took the instructors Vauxhall Corsa. tounge2.gif Apparently my driving is "brilliant, comfortable and smooth". I did have some problems with turning as I would cut the corner a little and I noticed I wasn't that aware of the distance between the passenger (left) side as I would come in close to the kerb or parked cars, I put that down to adjusting to right hand drive though as I don't have any of these problems driving a left-hand drive (normal) car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users