Photo

Any ideas about splitting an Island?

8 replies to this topic
Jenkis
  • Jenkis

Bad Guy

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Well I got a model Dff and col and txd... it is too big i think because size of files is crazy...

.dff - 6 MB

Col - 3.5 mb

and a TXD is 7 mb

I would like to know , how do you split an island or divide it to parts or whatever I should do?

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wow, that's really too big.
Well, I guess you will unfortunately have to split it up in parts [make more dffs (cols too of course) out of one you currently have]. That will take some time, but... I know it sounds horrible, but you have to do it.
Do you use 3DS Max? Well, the models have to be smaller than a grind (work surface).
So, I would suggest you start splitting it right away and don't do the same mistake in future - make smaller models and then put them together in map editor.

Same thing happened to me month ago.

Harsh reality.

Jenkis
  • Jenkis

Bad Guy

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for Reply! Yes I do use 3DS Max. its not big deal to split em up. but like you said. make smaller models e.g. Landscape in parts but... How I will join them Perfectly? I mean Lets say I made mountainous landscape and how I will connect it perfectly (without any gaps, where CJ or whoever will fall into) biggrin.gif ?

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Jenkis @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 21:03)
Thanks for Reply! Yes I do use 3DS Max. its not big deal to split em up. but like you said. make smaller models e.g. Landscape in parts but... How I will join them Perfectly? I mean Lets say I made mountainous landscape and how I will connect it perfectly (without any gaps, where CJ or whoever will fall into) biggrin.gif ?

Each part would be a seperate dff, the ipl data you get will do it.
tbh I cant understand why that would be a problem unless maybe your planning on using med to put your map back together? which would be nuts.

One way.. place your object where it will go in game, in your max scene. then split it up (each object will have a new set of coords) and use mapping scripts to build your ipls which will contain the coord data for the game to use.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:16 PM Edited by AB0333, 12 April 2012 - 08:18 PM.

[sorry for late reply]

Well, everything was already said, even though I actually don't use nothing but MEd to put it together. Sometimes it's nerve-eating, but, that's how I do it. Connect the map, part by part. I personally don't use any other method.

Still, it ain't so hard, after you get used to mapeditor a lil bit. First adjust X then Y or in reverse. Attempting to adjust both X Y at the same time will bring you only self-eating and fail (in med ofc). I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Of course, you can always try the method above. I'm just saying how I do it.

Good luck, and
no problems, I'm here to help. smile.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

No disrespect AB, but:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo tounge.gif

OP (and AB if you wanna follow this advice icon14.gif ) Use 3dsmax to make the ipl, not MEd. With MEd there will be gaps and it takes hours and hours to add each object and move it.

With 3dsmax the ENTIRE ipl is made in one click. 5 seconds. And guess what, every single object will be placed perfectly. It's the method xrk is talking about.

(currently writing a few steps on what to do in 3ds to export the ipl + ide in a few clicks, it depends on what game you're exporting to)

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

WTF??!! So easy?? Gosh, why didn't you tell me before? biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Frank.s)
No disrespect AB, but:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo tounge.gif

Lol, it's OK. icon14.gif

Well I guess I learned something useful, too. I really didn't know for this method, I'll try it ASAP. It will save hella lot of time.

Thanks. smile.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:32 PM Edited by Frank.s, 12 April 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Ah kwl.

Here is the same workflow that i use. icon14.gif

Couldn't be arsed to write the whole thing so i just google searched and found the info you guys need. smile.gif

Edit: Glad to help. cookie.gif

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Great, ty. icon14.gif
I will probably start making a bigger part of countryside soon, and this will, no doubt, make it all go faster. Life is easier now.

Once again, thanks. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users