Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Next rumor: Piracy rate to double?

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

i'd say its not true, games used to be 35 - 40 quid when i was young, now they are 40 - 50 quid. they do increase over time, but its ridiculous to say they are going to double. 100 quid for 1 game? not in my life time (thankfully)

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'd expect them to go down with a primarily online model, ALSO worth a mention is the latest MaximumPC magazine covers some ideas to fight piracy without using DRM, so I plan to read that too, haven't gotten into all the articles just yet

I think most of these rumors if found to be more then half true, will drive people to more piracy in combat mode. That's why it happens to begin with!!

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

If true then it looks like the teenagers of us will be blown outta the market!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

If it's true a lot of people will stop buying AAA titles. More indie games will be made available and they will be cheap, and also a lot of people will switch to PC since there will be no point in having a console.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I would say the article even if it was true is wrong in a few aspects.

1. Development technology is always improving, it makes it easier for the developers, so less tedious tasks have to be carried out, but more tasks are always thrown at them as games improve, so it kind of balances out.

2. The audience of video games is always increasing, higher development costs are again balanced out by more people buying the game.

Besides, if all this is true, why haven't PC games doubled in cost? The resolutions and other sliders are already way ahead of what next gen consoles will churn out.

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3††O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:09 AM Edited by DP Man, 04 April 2012 - 06:39 AM.

If this becomes true then I'll do the worst and buy a better PC.

Edit- Not that I hate PC gaming I just never enjoyed playing games on one whatsthat.gif

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

OG

• United-States

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (article)
Developers with access to the Durango (the code name for Microsoft's next console) are seeing costs rise sharply, primarily due to higher polygon counts and better textures required. "I'm having to double my budget for models," said one developer working on a sequel to an earlier title that appeared on Xbox 360 and PS3. "If we want to take advantage of Durango's capabilities it takes a lot more time for each model." This can also result in either a longer time to develop a title, or the need to put more artists on, or both.

I honestly don't know a great deal about game development, but I'm pretty sure that models are already designed with very high polygon counts and are then scaled down to a count that the platform can handle. Same thing goes for higher res textures - they start with a high res and then scale it down to save space and improve performance. So this sounds like a poorly fabricated rumor.

Not only that, if the rumors hold true, the PlayStation 4 will give way to x64 architecture and DirectX, making development much simpler than it has been for the Cell processor in the PS3. That would only serve to reduce development costs, not add to them.

And there's no way the market can sustain a doubling in price. Hardly anyone is going to pay 120 USD for a game. These ass clowns have already made billions off of triple A titles at the 60 USD price point. Look at CoD, all they have to do is make some new maps, slap a new name on it and bam, a sh*tton of cash is raked in.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (DP Man @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 05:09)
If this becomes true then I'll do the worst and buy a better PC.

Edit- Not that I hate PC gaming I just never enjoyed playing games on one whatsthat.gif

if u hate playing on keyboard and mouse, just buy a xbox controller for ur PC

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I highly doubt this.

DLC is where companies are making their money at the minute, and it seems to me that this will only be built upon as the future generation of consoles are rolled out. Yes, this is still a shady area at the minute due to bandwith caps and whatnot, but for me, I'll stick to articles that have suggested that shelf-titles will remain the same, if not cheaper, in price, and companies will rely on DLC to make the bigger profits. Look at COD for example, or any other MP FPS game for that matter, which can charge around £10 (?) for the DLC packs, and release around 4-5 in the games life-span, thus doubling the money they are making from the title, if not making a bigger profit due to it being DLC content.

If the price of shelf-titles is to increase, then I doubt it will double in price. The current world we live in would see a massive percentage of gamers missing out on the oppurtunity of purchasing the top-rated games, and so I highly doubt the companies themselves would allow such a move to happen.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 20:18)
Next rumor: Piracy rate to double?

I don't know why,but that made me laugh.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 03:56)
I honestly don't know a great deal about game development, but I'm pretty sure that models are already designed with very high polygon counts and are then scaled down to a count that the platform can handle. Same thing goes for higher res textures - they start with a high res and then scale it down to save space and improve performance. So this sounds like a poorly fabricated rumor.

To scale the model down you actually create a new model, with less polygons. The problem is, the Artist has now to use more polygons when working on the Low Quality one (Since it's now possible). When creating a High Poly model the poly count is not important, you can go crazy with it (Millons). But when working on the actual model that's gonna be in game you have to make it by hand, no sculpting, wich takes a lot of time. You also have to take into account the animating, wich get's more complex the higher the polycount of the model is.
I know because I do that.

I'm not saying they should double prices, I think it's overreacting.

SuperVeloce
  • SuperVeloce

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Geez, I might actually have to get a life if they double. wow.gif

I doubt it. Maybe they'd steadily increase with inflation, but double the price? Hell naw.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Why don't they just fit consoles with an x86 processor and make the GPU use DirectX? More games could come to the PC and ports might not be as crap.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

They're saying costs will rise due to higher polygon counts that these new consoles will permit. I agree with Xcomm, it's a load cr*p, but if they insist this would be the case, then why the heck don't they go back to the old school and code share data with other producers and game developers, I mean how many times can a Porsche 911 be done for example. Instead of each developer drawing the same model over and over again, then why don't they get together and draw one model and have done.

I say old school, because developers used to do this, OK I get the point that the games industry is now a major sector and back in ye olde days didn't compete as much as they do now.

But I suspect its that old chestnut of piracy again, again they'll blame us PC gamers for downloading games etc.... yawn, cause I've never heard of consoles getting chipped. So they'll bump up the prices and then loose more sales to piracy.

If anything I can see the reverse happening as gaming becomes more and more acceptable within society (no longer the realm of geek) so more games will get produced and competition increases and prices go down to compete... that's unless EA buy up all the competition again. dontgetit.gif

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

The entire website reeks of tabloid. I wouldn't trust any article they publish.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 22:37)
If anything I can see the reverse happening as gaming becomes more and more acceptable within society (no longer the realm of geek) so more games will get produced and competition increases and prices go down to compete... that's unless EA buy up all the competition again. dontgetit.gif

What I said, but for different reasons. Why double the price of a shelf-titled game, when companies seem to be turning to DLC more and more, thus earning extra profit just for game add-ons and whatnot? It's probably the smartest thing that companies could do in the future, as internet speeds are upped etc...reduce the prices of shelf-titles, but increase the output of DLC content for that game...even more, look at what COD did in charging £90 for some extra maps and some other extras.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Gaming would die fairly fast with such a large increase in prices. In most cases, I don't even agree on the $60 price tag. Most games aren't worth that much and it would take one hell of a game to make me pay $120 for a single disc. That game better blow my mind...among other things.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

There has been just too many bullsh*t rumours regarding next gen consoles the past few weeks, it's almost as bad as GTA V rumours! Look, in the past few weeks we've had Wii U is super powerful, Wii U is not as powerful as PS3, Wii U is just a bit better than Current Gen, Xbox 720 will launch in 2014, PS4 will launch in 2014, Xbox 720 and PS4 won't support Second Hand, numerous "spec" articles claiming AMD are powering next gen consoles, numerous "spec" articles claiming IBM is working on processors for ALL next gen consoles, etc, etc

So please folks, take it with a large rock of salt.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 11:23)
Gaming would die fairly fast with such a large increase in prices. In most cases, I don't even agree on the $60 price tag. Most games aren't worth that much and it would take one hell of a game to make me pay $120 for a single disc. That game better blow my mind...among other things.

Ryuclan i already pay double what you do, The AUD is worth the same as the American dollar, and we pay $120 or sometimes $13- for new releases.

So really it's not so bad, paying $240 is bad.

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

I honestly can't say much about gaming generations prior to the 6th (is that right? I meant the one with the PS2), but haven't game prices mostly been the same since the 80s? I thought they were always in the $40-50 price range. Heck, if it goes up to $120 then we will be on the way to having every game priced the same as Action 52! biggrin.gif

But yeah, I don't think games have gone up in price each generation have they? So what's the big turning point in this one? If anything, as some of you guys put well earlier in the topic, they shouldn't go up when companies (developers, publishers, corporations, whoever) are getting tons of money from this DLC phenomena. I have mixed opinions on DLC, but I will say the basic comments about it: it's not a bad thing when it's a sizeable addition (like GTA IV's DLC, and arguably RDR's DLC), or if it's modestly priced. I understand VALVe can't release their maps for free on Xbox, for example, so I don't mind paying $7 in cases like that.

...but $15 for a pack of 4-5 small maps on something like CoD? And I'm sure tons of other games have this kind of content too. This "supposed increase in budgets and final game prices" is coinciding with the rise of what I like to call the "f*cking annoying generation" of gaming. We've got online passes, DLC required to see the ending, DLC required to play online, other useless DLC, and tons of other stuff they want us to buy. I find it surprising that developers need THAT much more money from games. If they (I guess this is up to console manufacturers) do decide to raise the price of games to $70 or whatever, then fine. The gamer like me will just buy even less games, read tons of reviews of the game I'm interested in, and wait for even bigger sales on online retailers. (That, or I'll just go buy an SNES and start building up a collection)

I understand that things in the PC side of the gaming spectrum are different, and they don't have to deal with the crazy high prices of games and such. Their experience is created by their choices: their chosen gaming client, their operating system, and of course their hardware. There is a greater variety of games, and as GTAvanja said, the indie game market is going to prevail here (XBL does have a good system for indies though!). However it seems that, in this generation, console gaming is affecting PC gaming more than ever (mostly in negative ways). Who knows though. I thought we were all getting along until the past few years when developers stopped making good games and started jacking up prices panic.gif .

jackass2009
  • jackass2009

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (GtA01 @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 12:15)
Geez, I might actually have to get a life if they double. wow.gif

You beat me to it.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 06:56)

And there's no way the market can sustain a doubling in price. Hardly anyone is going to pay 120 USD for a game.

If Australia is anything to go by, then no, everyone is still going to buy games.

I really doubt the pricing of games will change drastically otherwise consumers will refuse to buy them. I already find $100+ (in Australia) is far too much for a game anyway, especially when most only last 5-15 hours.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 00:13)
QUOTE (ryuclan @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 11:23)

Ryuclan i already pay double what you do, The AUD is worth the same as the American dollar, and we pay $120 or sometimes $13- for new releases.

So really it's not so bad, paying $240 is bad.

Same thing here, but it really is bad. Hence why few people buy games here and most just pirate them.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Ctrl + Alt + Defecate

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

If recent history is anything to go by then the RRP of games will probably increase by the time the next generation is here, but that won't have too much effect on the average price of games at the point of sale. The RRP on console games has gone from ~£40 to anything up to ~£60, but you can get any game for £30-40 on release very easily. I can see the average RRPs being £50-70 or so, with the actual price rising by maybe £5, but more than that doesn't seem likely.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Remix @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 08:23)
QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 06:56)

And there's no way the market can sustain a doubling in price.  Hardly anyone is going to pay 120 USD for a game.

If Australia is anything to go by, then no, everyone is still going to buy games.

I really doubt the pricing of games will change drastically otherwise consumers will refuse to buy them. I already find $100+ (in Australia) is far too much for a game anyway, especially when most only last 5-15 hours.

Yeah but there's a difference. How long have you guys been paying double what we pay? Imagine if you were paying $60 per game then the next gen releases and every single game is twice that amount. I'm just saying that you guys are used to it.

Also we will fight for better pricing lol or just don't pay at all.

JohnnyBNL
  • JohnnyBNL

Flying Dutch Man

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

If a price like that comes, i will start pirating once again wink.gif .

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Again?!? Better not, certainly not express such things here! We support the hard work, but not to the extent of double the going rate!!
All these proposed online validation and streaming ideas are bad enough, add to that twice the price!? Oh, yeah, I can see us shifting to that out of necessity

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

$120 for a game? The apt phrase, hell no comes to mind.

I don't hardly like blowing $60 on a game, let alone double that, imagine collector's edition prices? God they'd be in the $170+ Range. And hell some of them are near that already.

Hell another reason for me to switch to PC I guess, and hoist the Jolly Rodger if need be, thought I’d prefer not to have to do that. (The Piracy part)

Better be some mind blowing games for $120 dollars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users