Fan speed

10 replies to this topic
Kanja
  • Kanja

A Muslim Warrior

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys.. I want to know is it harmful if i increase just the fan speed of my GTX 260 to a constant 90 %?

Please guide me. Thx in advance.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

It should be good but won't it be a little noisy? I used to have an old PC with a 9400GT which ran bloody hot and at full fan speed 24/7 and it still works. The case had no airflow.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:45 AM Edited by Slamman, 03 April 2012 - 01:50 AM.

The HDD might get hotter then the GPU, at least on my laptop it sure does! I had a 9500GT IIRC, nothing impressive! haha

I think it's safe as well (in other words)

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

@Kanja
What I suggest is running MSI Afterburner. There you set it so it'll increase the fan speed depending the temperature. The card itself should increase the fan speed based on the temperature but it for me it's a little low.
Why would you want it run at 90% all of the time? When you're on the desktop the GPU isn't working very hard, so the higher fan speed would lower the temps but even the normal fan speed should keep the card cool enough.
If you're having temp issues, even while on the desktop, that could because of your room temp or dust in the card. If you've tried cleaning out the dust, or it is because of the room temp, you might do better finding a better cooler to replace what is on the card.

Kanja
  • Kanja

A Muslim Warrior

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

@Wolf68k: Yep I do use MSI afterburner to increase fan speed.
My graphic card is so stupid coz idk for some reason when the temperatures reach about 60-65 the driver crashes and windows restarts it. So in whatever games i play the screen goes black and then the game returns. This happens very often, but only when I'm playing a game (or sometimes even watching a video). BUT when I keep the temperatures in the range of 48-58, this happens VERY less. I really don't understand why the "Auto" setting in the fan can't adjust to the f*cking game I play. And even if it does reach above 60 degrees, IT'S A NORMAL TEMPERATURE FOR GTX 260; THEN WHY DOES THE DAMN DRIVER CRASH??!?! It crashes even when I play f*cking SA:MP!! Can you believe it?? GTX 260 can't run GTA san andreas properly!

It's summer now so it's difficult to cool the graphic card. The min temperature is never below 51 degrees. And I do clean out the dust.

also

Do I set the user defined automatic fan control to a discrete or a continous graph?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

That sounds like a bad card. You need to contact either the retailer you got it from or the maker of the card and seeing about getting an replacement.

Don't ask me why I'm going to bring this up, but I am.
When I read the first part and you said it got to 60-65 degrees and the screen would go black, for some reason my first thought was a dying PSU; one that's not quite dead yet but will crap out when stressed enough. Been there done that with an old PSU.

As for the settings, what I do is just on the Fan tab just "Enable software automatic fan control" (I'm reading from my eVGA Precision but it's based on the same that MSI is based on) and let it go. I found when I tested/used MSI's it would 1% increase per 1 degree increase; so at 40C the fan is 40%, at 41C the fan is 41% and so on. You can adjust that in the graph if you want to make it run faster. Just grab or make a point and move it to where ever you want and just make sure the rest of the line goes with it.

I don't know what is a normal idle temp for a GTX 260. I also don't know what the max is for that card. I can tell you this; I have an eVGA GTX 560Ti FPB and I had asked them what the max temp is. They told me 100C. My card is currently running around 36-38C. The max I've seen without software controlled, in other words just the card on it's own, was around 90C but that was while using eVGA OCScanner to stress test it which is going to do more stress than what most games will do. The max with the Precision controlling the speed, again with same stress test, was around 80C. The one thing I don't like about Precision v2.0.3 is that the fan control is 10 degree = 10% stepping and I have yet to figure out a way to make it more like MSI's 1C to 1% stepping. I haven't tried the latest version of Precision yet.

By the way, I'm confused by your sig and your post. Your sig says eVGA 9500GT but your topic is talking about a GTX 260.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

That definitely sounds like a bad card to me. The GTX 260 is designed to function at up to 105 degrees Celsius. Overclocking will make the GPU more sensitive to heat. Are you overclocking the card? Have you overclocked it at any point? Sometimes when improperly done, overclocking can break a GPU to the point it doesn't want to work right even at stock clocks and at typical running temps for the GTX 260. With the reference cooler, hottest it usually gets is in the 80s.

Kanja
  • Kanja

A Muslim Warrior

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

here's what i did :
user posted image

Too aggressive?

@Wolf68k: My sig is old I Forget to Update. Only Video card info is wrong rest are Same.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

Get to fixing it, we can rest easy when we know you're not promoting the 9400 or 9500 nVidia for gaming! haha

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

@Kanja
That's what I was hoping when you made the topic. But then you could have also been helping someone else with their problem with their card.

If you wanted to you could have done something like this to make it run at 100% all of the time
user posted image
Just click on the extra dots and hit Delete

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'll point out if you're a Dell or Alienware user, I think there's a fan control app that works on them, I can't recall it's name, but I was told about it for the earlier Dell laptops, and it offered some control if it existed in older machines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users