Photo

Will this generations music be recognized

14 replies to this topic
TinTinn
  • TinTinn

Эquation

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

I seem to like the last generations music, rather than today's for some reason. I do enjoy music from today, but I am very picky with my music. I don't fall into that rap category or the punk/scremo music, but I don't seem to go into the average day rock/pop either. Whether that's a good thing, but I can say I can listen to todays music, but not with much passion.

Me saying that, will our next generation children and adults look back at this music we listen to know, and say, "When music was real," like we do when we remember the 90's, 80's, 70's and before. Is music only good if it is left to dampen for a while, left for years. Sort of like cheese... you leave it there to smell and then it's good all of a sudden.

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

My GF LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Foster The People.

They are Okay.. As far as hipster bands go, I prefer Fitz and the Tantrums...

My faves of all time?

Pantera
RATM
Nirvana
Tool

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I'm more into late 90's/early 00's electronic music. As much as I hate to admit it, a bit of dubstep here and there in small doses can hit the spot. I find the more orchestrated and melodic dubstep tracks from artists such as Nero can be a good energy hit, though I will admit around 90% of dubstep is pretty crappy.

That said, I respect any genre of music as long as it has some sort of emotional energy to it, or a deeper message attatched. I like quite a bit of 80's music here and there as well.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (dingleman @ Monday, Apr 2 2012, 10:50)
I'm more into late 90's/early 00's electronic music. As much as I hate to admit it, a bit of dubstep here and there in small doses can hit the spot. I find the more orchestrated and melodic dubstep tracks from artists such as Nero can be a good energy hit, though I will admit around 90% of dubstep is pretty crappy.

That said, I respect any genre of music as long as it has some sort of emotional energy to it, or a deeper message attatched. I like quite a bit of 80's music here and there as well.

Orchestrated you say? wink.gif

Agreed, most dubstep and music these days is sh*te. But if you take the time to look around, you will find someone you like and you will feel obliged to support them in this pop dominated music world. That being said, I do like some of the music that comes on the radio.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

It may seem that music from previous generations are better than the muck thats being churned out wholesale by record companies nowadays, but its just a matter of perception. Why we feel that older music is better is because only the good songs survive. Most of the oldies you hear nowadays are good songs and thats what's going to happen with this generations music as well. The chaff is going to fall away leaving only the wheat so I suppose in the next 20 years or so, I'll look back at the music from this time and think it was pretty damn good just because the good music stays and the bad music fades from public consciousness.

Btw, this probably should be in Music Talk.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Shouldn't it be here instead?
http://www.gtaforums...hp?showforum=32

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (dingleman @ Monday, Apr 2 2012, 10:50)

I completely agree with you, sir. I love most types of music. Everything ranging from Machine Head to Justin Timberlake. I see no point in cutting off certain genres or even artists simply because I don't like one track. I must admit that my latter example of Justin Timberlake isn't really fair seeing as I only like maybe 2 or 3 of his songs, whereas with Machine Head, I like pretty much all of their albums. Still, the point is that to enjoy something you must remain open to all of it's forms and music, being the universal language it is, comes in so many forms.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Basically the good music survives and the sh*t music gets forgotten about. Hence our adoration of past music.

Bands like U2, Chill Peppers will go down in history and will be listened to by future people. Artists like Aphex Twin who is pioneering genres of Electronica will go down and be listening to in the future.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Feels like we missed a generation, it was cut so short, Things were pretty damn good as the 80s closed out I felt, the Grunge movement led to a JUMP on the Bandwagon, and then more and more manufactured scenes as the record companies took over and led everyone down the wrong path. There was certainly some backlash, but not enough really

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Monday, Apr 2 2012, 20:15)
Feels like we missed a generation, it was cut so short, Things were pretty damn good as the 80s closed out I felt, the Grunge movement led to a JUMP on the Bandwagon, and then more and more manufactured scenes as the record companies took over and led everyone down the wrong path. There was certainly some backlash, but not enough really

I just wish it was hard to make music again. That way, people who don't actually have talent like LMFAO or Skrillex could continue to be complete unknowns.

I mean, Skrillex just uses a program you can download to make his dubstep. If you do that, it means you have no talent. At least some people put effort into making it - like Deadmau5 has to use a machine bigger than the average internet server to make his (even though it really has no difference in sound to me, all dubstep is just random electric sounds in my opinion).

The two guys in LMFAO only became mainstream because a relative of theirs was an important person in a record company. They don't write their music at all, like most artists today.

Hey, remember when the 'art' in artist actually meant art?

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Los Santos Pedestrian @ Monday, Apr 2 2012, 21:14)
I mean, Skrillex just uses a program you can download to make his dubstep. If you do that, it means you have no talent. At least some people put effort into making it - like Deadmau5 has to use a machine bigger than the average internet server to make his (even though it really has no difference in sound to me, all dubstep is just random electric sounds in my opinion).

If it is so easy, why aren't you doing it and making millions?

People who deride an artist because of how they produce art rather than what they produce don't understand creativity. I guess you don't "get" modern art either?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:29 AM Edited by Slamman, 03 April 2012 - 02:33 AM.

Sadly, it will be remembered, for all the wrong reasons (but I jest)

Well, Robinski, It's not just personal taste it's that everyone with some idea of music can use the "ProTools" to help make their music that was much more organic in the past, that's the truth, really. Many artists do bemoan the tech that makes it relatively easy to craft.
There's also that other side of the coin about how it's just easier for someone to realize their art, shortening the time and effort. That's the argument above, but there's good and bad in both aspects

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

I'll remember it as the best generation of music with many greats bands! And yes I am being 100% serious.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Los Santos Pedestrian @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 00:14)

You still need years of experience with music to do music as good as Skrillex's.

The sounds aren't random. A lot of artists create their own sounds which takes time and skill.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

There are gifted musical prodigies, a little hard to deny, so you don't actually need years of experience, just a head [wired] for sound!

I don't think Miley Cyrus, Backstreet Boys, Justin Beaver/Timberlake, and feck all represent a period to look back on fondly, so ....no! hahaha tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users