Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think music is getting worse and worse?

47 replies to this topic
unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Popular music has always been sh*t. Seriously.

http://en.wikipedia...._of_2012_(U.S.)

http://en.wikipedia...._of_1996_(U.S.)

http://en.wikipedia...._of_1976_(U.S.)

locolow2011
  • locolow2011

Rock on

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

The thing with music is that you have to dig between all the sh*t to find something good, there is still new good music, it's just hard to find.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:11 AM Edited by _____, 31 March 2012 - 11:17 AM.

If you are narrow-minded like some people on this forum when it comes to music, you won't stand a chance to find great music until you open up. I'm not saying that you should like commercial music (even though some of it is actually decent) but you should try and listen to as many genres as possible and you will have a lot to choose from.

@SIKKS66 Your post just goes to show how ignorant people like you can be. By your logic, you can take a horrible song from any decade and then conclude that the music of that decade sucked.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

People just settle for much less then the best. As I was saying about the musical bar, it's LIMBO time, and people are trying their best to go under it!

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

That isn't true even in the slightest, Slammy. Stop pulling sh*t like that out of your ass.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

я твой слуг

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:24 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 31 March 2012 - 11:27 PM.

Here's how it is. There was a time when talent got in to the charts. That's no longer feasible because the demographic that keeps chart music alive are 12yo girls and 40+ females. You would see a Beastie Boys track or something in the charts but the people buying those sort of albums are illegally downloading them or purchasing them by other means. Thus, the charts and music on the radio had been condensed to ever more sh*tty bullsh*t. There's less chance of real tunes getting radio play because they'd have to appeal to the 12yo girls.

With the emergence of such sh*t reality competition shows like Pop Idol, people people are still going for that crap.

That's fine. Music is still music. With the internet, we now have access more music than ever so you can't really say it's getting sh*tter.

Hip Hop music and rock music that got played on the radio and in the charts seems to have lost quality. Doesn't change the fact that there are still people making great rock and Hip-Hop. Just you have to did it out.

I liked te way The-King just wrote off whole decades there. dozingoff.gif

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, Mar 31 2012, 17:24)
Here's how it is. There was a time when talent got in to the charts. That's no longer feasible because the demographic that keeps chart music alive are 12yo girls and 40+ females. You would see a Beastie Boys track or something in the charts but the people buying those sort of albums are illegally downloading them or purchasing them by other means. Thus, the charts and music on the radio had been condensed to ever more sh*tty bullsh*t. There's less chance of real tunes getting radio play because they'd have to appeal to the 12yo girls.

With the emergence of such sh*t reality competition shows like Pop Idol, people people are still going for that crap.

That's fine. Music is still music. With the internet, we now have access more music than ever so you can't really say it's getting sh*tter.

Hip Hop music and rock music that got played on the radio and in the charts seems to have lost quality. Doesn't change the fact that there are still people making great rock and Hip-Hop. Just you have to did it out.

I liked te way The-King just wrote off whole decades there.  dozingoff.gif

I like the way the topic starter wrote off whole decades too orly.gif

bread
  • bread

Nutrition Facts not needed

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Another thing that I believe might be getting worse is the way people succumb into what the media says and suddenly generalise on a culture or person(s) by reading all this crap about how mainstream music and artists this decade has defined the core of music. Mainstream music is popular music. It's what a lot of people listen to. Underground music is something a lot of people listen to as well. You just don't hear about it as much on the news though thanks to the music industry promoting all these wackass wannabes, with their catchy rhyme schemes overlayed on decent, and in some cases, terrible beats, for the sake of soliciting millions of dollars. Lets face it, the industry is corrupt. Not my point though. My point is that people aren't really digging enough to look for the kind of music they love. That's whats wrong with people like you. Always closing in on all this billboard sh*t, and suddenly assuming that this kind of crap defines music today. If only you'd look closer you will realise that theres good music out there. Many of them are earning decent creditablity, and some aren't, sadly. People are the ones who promote music. So instead of sitting around rambling about how Nicki Minaj or Drake doesn't deserve as much fame as Adele (lets say she was your fav. artist), promote her by tweeting her new songs and sh*t to popular people, or maybe even post them on facebook. In the world we live in today the power of social networking to promote something is never an exception. Period.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

L'oiseau bleu

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Just because your sh*t Beatles and Pink Floyd aren't that popular anymore doesn't mean that today's music is sh*t.

Music is still the same, if not better. Some of the mainstream sh*t sucks balls, and some of the mainstream sh*t is good. I love Drake, Kanye West, and Rick Ross, but I f*cking hate Tyga and Lil Wayne. Same with underground. Tyler, the Creator is my favorite rapper, and I f*cking hate Hopsin. Music is still good, you're just too ignorant to realize that, and if you don't like it, shove some of this up your ass.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (_____ @ Saturday, Mar 31 2012, 11:11)
If you are narrow-minded like some people on this forum when it comes to music, you won't stand a chance to find great music until you open up. I'm not saying that you should like commercial music (even though some of it is actually decent) but you should try and listen to as many genres as possible and you will have a lot to choose from.

@SIKKS66 Your post just goes to show how ignorant people like you can be. By your logic, you can take a horrible song from any decade and then conclude that the music of that decade sucked.

I am one of the most open minded people you are likely to meet. As I said, that was more of an observation of what is "popular" these days, as opposed to saying music in general is getting worse, words that never left my keyboard. That would be like saying books or films are getting worse.

So cut the "people-like-you" crap, and get a real username while you are at it. Says the pot to the kettle.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

@SIKKS66 Weren't you the one criticizing a song I posted in the "Rate the song above you" topic, that the lyrics were too simple or something? And you went on to say that you don't like songs without lyrics. Not so open minded I would say.

I apologize for doing that and my username is fine.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

My observations aren't based on FM broadcasts, it's all musical media outlets I'm confronted with, and music is simply not exceeding the higher quality in the modern era, 50s and 60s are the roots and bed on which it lies

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

L'oiseau bleu

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Apr 1 2012, 07:32)
50s and 60s are the roots and bed on which it lies

And Jazz is the center of the earth.

You wanna go deeper in the rabbit hole?

All music has potential. Not just your bullsh*t Zeppelin and Bob Dylan.

I love all kinds of music. I listen to Stones, Nirvana, Skrillex, Bob Marley, deadmau5, 2pac, Eminem, 50 cent, R Kelly, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Tyler the Creator, Drake and others. I'm not some self-centered cynical asswipe who sticks his nose in people's self-expression and says that it's sh*t. Why don't you grab a time machine and go back with all the other peace-loving pussies and OD on some shrooms. Leave the art to the artists.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Sunday, Apr 1 2012, 18:03)
OD on some shrooms.

That's not physically possible. I'm pretty sure nobody has ever OD on mushrooms.

One thing I've noticed with the modern rock scene is that it lacks is a genuine "rock star". No charismatic leaders under 30. Rock needs a hero.

DreamsLieHere
  • DreamsLieHere

Pleasure principle

• Members

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Really? I enjoy music from many eras but this thread needs more rationality.

If you asked me, I'd say no, as I believe tastes and ideals change over the years. Music is no different. But if you ask me if the way the music industry recognizes talent has changed.. for better or for worse? I'd say it's for worse.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

You can tell your buds and peeps here that music is good, all day long, but what sounds good, that's speaks the volumes.
One thing is clear, the same song is going to sound different to everybody, but as Jimmy Page put it, with shared Zeppelin fans, a Vibe that they were in tune with what they were doing.

It happens by chance, most of the artist interviews reflect this, it's a common question to ask an artist, what is making something successful

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Imma just quote myself from the last of these threads 'cos I'm absolutely hanging and won't be able to write something as eloquent.
QUOTE (Robinski @ Monday, May 30 2011, 21:51)
"Right now" is the most interesting and experimental period of music there will ever be, because you've always got the rest of music history backing it up. Every artist is influenced by those that came before them, and nobody is truly "original" in the true sense of the word (and that's not a bad thing), taking the bits they like of one act and bits they like from another and throwing them all together to create their own unique sound. Thanks to the constantly increasing accessibility of music from all periods to everyone, and the fall in price and technical know-how needed for producing music personally everyone can have a go. This may mean it is more difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, but there is a lot more of the good stuff out there.

Never let anybody tell you that music today is sh*t. Whether that's today, tomorrow or in 20 years time. There will always be music you like being made by someone somewhere, you just have to look for it.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (_____ @ Sunday, Apr 1 2012, 07:30)
@SIKKS66 Weren't you the one criticizing a song I posted in the "Rate the song above you" topic, that the lyrics were too simple or something? And you went on to say that you don't like songs without lyrics. Not so open minded I would say.

Might want to recheck that post, I high doubt that it was me. One, I haven't posted in that thread in a while. Two, I always try to find something positive in whatever people post in there and have found a bunch of new music thanks to that thread, one of my favourites on this forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users