Playstation Orbis?

22 replies to this topic
Alba_Bhoy88
  • Alba_Bhoy88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://crave.cnet.co...#comment-submit

Few sites reporting the same thing. Although as the link states 'take it with a pinch of salt'

Interested to gather your thoughts on this proposed download only system orthe idea that even disks will be psn locked.

Personally I'm more in favor of the later option as long as the unlock ownership only costs 7-8. Anything higher than that and i can see the next generation dying a death.

I'm willing to put my faith in it though as I've been a ps fan since the beginning but they must have a fair price structure in place and games over time must come down in price to reflect soughtability ~(new word)

Thoughts?

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

I find this locked to account and other rubbish f*cking disgusting. The internet connection required nonsense is also a crazy and stupid idea because what if your internet goes down or you don't have it at all? Another thing as well is all these bloody accounts you got to create in order to play online such as origin.

AMD Southern Islands graphics chip, which will let you play 3D games in 1080p (yay?) as well as regular games at a whopping 4,096x2,160-pixel resolution

Actual 1080p is likely this time but I don't think the GPU there gonna put in it will be powerful enough to play new games at 4096x2160.

Personally I'm more in favor of the later option as long as the unlock ownership only costs 7-8

You're the reason these greedy corporations can pull out cheap tactics to rob extra cash such as disc locked content etc.

Alick
  • Alick

L)VE

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

It's a rumour, I'm not going to get annoyed or hyped up over something that probably won't be true. I can't see Sony doing this to be honest, I won't deny the existence of the playstation 4 but I highly doubt it'll be including any of these stupid ideas.

Alba_Bhoy88
  • Alba_Bhoy88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

No mate, I'm not. What i am though is stuck between a rock and a hard place. What am i to do? Boycott? Not practical.

What i have said though and will continue to say, is if these things come to fruition then the price must be minimal otherwise my spending habits will decrease thus harming the industry as a whole as I'm sure alot of folk will curb spending aswel!

Theres a ton of games i would by-pass if i can't pick them up from a more COMPETITIVE source. Listen, you obviously didn't read my OP or have failed to interpret it fully but I'm only for it if things are done in a manner that doesn't rip the piss.

I don't want it to be a case of fifa 13 being only 5 cheaper by the time fifa14 is out and so forth which is the way the structure is now.. it's sh*t but what can you do.

Price structure is key for me.

EDIT: @ above poster.. Sony are already doing it mate. With the psp go and the vita (afaik) have you seen the pricing there btw?.. it is criminal but right now theres nothing anyone can do.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:21 PM Edited by illegal_luggage, 29 March 2012 - 09:23 PM.

@Alba_Bhoy88
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so harsh. The rumours about tied games to account and stuff like that which makes used games useless I don't think Sony or Microsoft will do that. There would be a huge sh*t storm. It is hard when there's a game you love but it has killer day 1 dlc and it's hard not to buy it. You could be like "well it's only 5" but then you'll see this kind of rip-off dlc more and more often. I probably won't buy the PS4 because I prefer the games on Xbox and its online but if the next Xbox doesn't have a Bluray player, I'll definitely consider the PS4. I also game on the PC.

Alba_Bhoy88
  • Alba_Bhoy88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Personally i don't think Sony would pull a stunt like that either. I feel if the rumors have any truth, it will probs be both formats and no unlocks except from digital.

I would take a stab in the dark say that Downloads will be locked up securely because of the culture of 'map pack sharing' which imo is understandable but Sony did allow the 5 psn thing lol.. trial and error i guess. I doubt the physical disk will be locked though. Sony only lose money from DLC's and psn games surely.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:03 AM Edited by Slamman, 30 March 2012 - 01:06 AM.

Nah, if those rumors have a hint of truth, it's ideal for a SET TOP BOX design, that meaning, a LITE version AKA LOOP from Microsoft, and the Orbit or NON- PS4 for Sony

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

Stupidest rumour I have read in a long time, 4000x 2000 resolution, f*ck off, even if it could support that it would be redundant since tvs are only 1080p.

Don't even get me started on how f*cking stupid the rest of it is.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

Ignorance is bliss.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

I bet Orbis gum will sue over the use of the name,... No, wait, that's Orbit?!? Oh, damn, so confusing

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:11 PM Edited by Frank.s, 31 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.

QUOTE (finn4life)
Stupidest rumour I have read in a long time, 4000x 2000 resolution, f*ck off, even if it could support that it would be redundant since tvs are only 1080p.
This.

On a note regarding any leaked info (not just limited to this "leak"): I wouldn't be surprised if companies release "leaked" info so they can gauge the public responce to it. Seem like an efficient tactic.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Saturday, Mar 31 2012, 11:11)
On a note regarding any leaked info (not just limited to this "leak"): I wouldn't be surprised if companies release "leaked" info so they can gauge the public responce to it. Seem like an efficient tactic.

That's a good point. However, internet forums aren't the most efficient means of determining people's enthusiasm. But I can see how that could be an interesting gauge

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Leak is likely based on that site find, but that's reading too much into what's simply not known

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 01:40)

Don't even get me started on how f*cking stupid the rest of it is.

I was reading about a new tv the other day that has a resolution that was something like that.

this wasnt it but..
http://www.digitalve...els-n17303.html

Not that Im saying the rumour is true but the name change and this actually make it seem like theres some truth.

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

AMD Southern Islands graphics chip, which will let you play 3D games in 1080p

People still like that fad?

the horribly nicknamed machine won't be backwards-compatible with PlayStation 3 games.

if you buy a game on disc it'll be locked to a single PSN account, with a required online authentication before you can play.

Interest evaporated, Wii U it is next gen. I'd buy a next gen 360 but they are doing the same apparently...

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

if you buy a game on disc it'll be locked to a single PSN account, with a required online authentication before you can play.

Hope it's false.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:18 AM Edited by Slamman, 02 April 2012 - 04:38 PM.

There's a point where covering your arse won't allow anything to come out

http://kotaku.com/58...are-the-details

I don't know if anyone got that reply, but it means covering against piracy, protecting IP to the detriment of the people paying for the product.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

New specs details. If they are true, PS4 is already behind PC's an entire generation. But considering how long this generation lasted I guess they'll be able to pull off some good stuff with such a hardware. Still sucks compared to PC.

http://www.ign.com/a...rocessing-specs

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2012, 19:04)
New specs details. If they are true, PS4 is already behind PC's an entire generation. But considering how long this generation lasted I guess they'll be able to pull off some good stuff with such a hardware. Still sucks compared to PC.

http://www.ign.com/a...rocessing-specs

The next gen consoles aren't looking promising, but that's to be expected.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

For one thing, I believe they'll use the PS4 moniker, it's just too good to pass up, there's no law requiring them to issue only one new game console, as I said before, with the idea Microsoft will cater in a tiered SKU system

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

None of the rumors are true proven by Locked to accounts, no used games and internet required rumors. Thats just dumb.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:11 AM Edited by GTA 360, 08 April 2012 - 08:15 AM.

QUOTE (Alba_Bhoy88 @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 16:35)
No mate, I'm not. What i am though is stuck between a rock and a hard place. What am i to do? Boycott? Not practical.

Of course it's practical you imbecile, it's not like a games console in a necessary thing like food or a car that you can't do with out, and as for "what are you supposed to do?" Yes, boycott them, move to the next gen Xbox or Nintendo Wii U (if it's any good), or another idea would be to stick with what you already have. That's what I'll be doing if the next Xbox has these limitations, I'll be keeping my 360. Because you can, it's not like it won't work.
Oh, and yes, you are. Because if nobody paid then they wouldn't make proffit, and if they didn't make profit then they would have to give it up and then things would be cheaper, so before you say that you aren't the cause stop and realise that you ARE the cause.

QUOTE (Alba_Bhoy88 @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 16:35)
EDIT: @ above poster.. Sony are already doing it mate. With the psp go and the vita (afaik) have you seen the pricing there btw?.. it is criminal but right now theres nothing anyone can do.

Yes there is, they could stop using the system, then Sony would realise that it isn't going to work and they need to stop.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Let's for argument sake, say this comes to pass as PS4, and we also wind up with Windows 8 being a massive dissapointing backslide, it stands to reason you won't like the direction of Games for Windows Live either, seeing as there is complaint now as it stands.

Well, the future will bode that much brighter for PC gaming I guess! (aside from Win8 of course!) The most promising thing I think is this idea of Windows running Xbox software, though it sounds too much of a pipedream

I believe the Cell processor needs more evolution, the PS3 can't be it's only application with widespread use. But, perhaps it's too limiting and it's not as great as some had hoped for it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users