Big News Regarding PS4

101 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yes, WE do, don't kid yourself, PS owners have had a massive back catalog, and playing them on Playstation 3 would be what everyone hopes for.
The fact as I see it is that Sony has been reluctant to listen to their user base, And believe me, this is a problem, since they have listened with regard to changing the controller, I have more faith that Sony would change a design based on user feedback then MS, who have been in a bit of denial about the RROD problems, then when they dealt with it, they tried to issue a "We're sorry" statement, it was woeful how they dealt with the RROD issue
Sony is not the best either, but they've shown some signs of doing right.

The PSN thing is really more of the same rumor of Net based distribution model, as the magazine I mentioned noted, this model has never proved a success to stick with

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

I am fairly confident that GTA V will be the last GTA on the PS3/360 (current consoles).

If that article is tru though, then the next gen of consoles will pretty much such. No backwards compatibility? Come the f*ck on now. Same with the whole thing about used games. For example, what if I luck up and get a great used copy of Ico from Gamestop, only to find out you can't even play the damn game. Very stupid

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

1. GTA V will be released Late 2012 or early 2013.
2. If developer consoles were out, we would have heard about it.
3. They can't develop or test the game without a developer console.
4. GTA V is well under way, not just beginning production.
5. That article is baloney.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yes, pack your wallets everyone, Rockstar will screw you over by making you buy a $600 console just to play GTA V

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Now you guys know what it would be like if Apple made a console... Restrictions, Restrictions, Restrictions

azali10
  • azali10

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

If this is true, Microsoft could make a lot of money buy doing the opposite, and not "locking" games and allowing full backwards compatibility. I would not pay 500 dollars for a system that has no backwards compatibiity and force me not to play used games. Thats bullsh*t.

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Sprouting Brass and Slinging Lead

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

This is complete and utter bullsh*t, Grand Theft Auto V will be coming out on the PS3 [and the XBOX 360, I might add].

Mr.Moffat
  • Mr.Moffat

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

dear god some people are taking this as cold hard fact 1, this is all just speculation and rumour 2, there were articles a few weeks back about the next xbox having the same game restriction stuff so don't just declare you will no longer support sony, both companies are not stupid, this system can only be implemented if all console developers adopt it otherwise they WILL lose sales. 3, Orbis is prob an internal codename, the next ps won't be called that and even if it was so bloody what its a name, get over it, the wii was a sales diastor because of its silly name oh wait.......

mrmojo_prime
  • mrmojo_prime

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

my B.S. senses are tingling

Sony confirms no PS4 reveal at E3 2012, stands by 10-year plan for PS3

Sony chairman Kaz Hirai made it very clear that Sony has no intention of revealing any new PlayStation 4 hardware or announcing any details about a possible new console at E3 2012.
Earlier reports by MCV, led to rumors that both Sony and Microsoft would unveil their plans for next-gen consoles at E3 this year. When asked by Electronic Theatre to confirm or deny these rumors, Microsoft refused comment and Sony laughed at the idea.
At CES this week, Sony chairman Kaz Hirai addressed the PlayStation 4 rumors. When asked by a journalist to confirm or deny remakrs from head of the PlayStation division Andrew House, Hirai stated that no new PS4 hardware would be announced - and maintained Sony's stance that the plan for the PlayStation 3 is for a 10-year life cycle.
"Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3," Hirai responded. "I've always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."
The PlayStation 3 was released in November of 2006 which means if Sony and Hirai are serious about the 10-year plan, then we shouldn't expect a PlayStation 4 until 2016 - with plans unveiled a year or two before. So hold off on the next-gen console talk for a few years everybody.

article from gamezone
http://www.gamezone....ar-plan-for-ps3

So unless the chairman of Sony is a lying rat bastard, we won't see another playstation till atleast 2014 but more likely 2016 as stated. How ever if Sony and mr Hirai are lying and this gamespot story turns out tobe fact, then there is only one name that will fit such a abomination the Sony Edsel.

voyager4520
  • voyager4520

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Rockstar/TakeTwo would be making a big mistake to wait until the next-gen consoles to release V. They wouldn't sell nearly as many copies, at least not as quickly.
QUOTE (azali10 @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 23:26)
If this is true, Microsoft could make a lot of money buy doing the opposite, and not "locking" games and allowing full backwards compatibility. I would not pay 500 dollars for a system that has no backwards compatibiity and force me not to play used games. Thats bullsh*t.

If Microsoft wants to use Blu-Ray for their next console, they'd best not "upset" Sony.

kb8618
  • kb8618

"I'll swing by and sign the contracts, alright? Just ig

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:30 AM Edited by kb8618, 30 March 2012 - 02:40 AM.

1 Obis is probably just a codename

2 sound about right

3 Not unless the game is delayed a full year minimum

As others have said don't believe it fully unless its official news. My biggest problem, if true, is the required internet connection. Meaning you'll always be forced to be on the newest firmware regardless of what bugs it may have or removed features. I always wait a week before updating, in case its bricking consoles. Also sounds like used game will still be playable, if you pay a fee. If its $5, then that's fine cuz used games will reflect that cost. Since they are switching CPU manufacturers to a traditional chip, BC might be hard to include, but hopefully they can do it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:32 AM Edited by Slamman, 30 March 2012 - 02:35 AM.

After I was off line from reading this news, I kept thinking to myself the codename was "Orbit", Oh well, my bad for the earlier typo switch (in gaming chat)

I do think this just sounds to the outsider like plans for another Set Top box marketing product, hardware does support software, in many ways, all the varieties out there, it's the same model applied to all

Voyager, again I'd care to correct you, Sony is partnered on several TECHNOLOGICAL advances, but they don't OWN BLURAY, that's a bit of a fallacy as well. They can claim as they did with Philips, to have invented the CD, but that's not entirely their baby

superhobo666
  • superhobo666

Prankster

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (voyager4520 @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 21:21)
-snip-

I have a 360 in the basement from the second
(or third) year the 360 was out, it's still going strong even pushing 4/5 years of daily use.

I have a newer black 360 (not the thick elites) that is problem free (aside from the odd time the microsoft software derps)

my cousin has owned four... yes FOUR ps3's since they launched.

Two where near launch (he got one at launch, it died 4 months later, so he got it replaced, the replacement lasted about a year before the bluray drive gave out) he bought one about a month later, the hard drive kicked the bucket after a year and a half. he waited and got a slim, it's still going, but it overheats sometimes.

that being said one of my friends still runs a flawless launch era ps3, and someone I know online in the states has had to get an xbox (plus 5 microsoft replacement xbox's) replaced.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 05:20)
The bit that troubles me is:

Full Orbis games will be available via Blu-ray disc or as a PlayStation Network download, and will be locked to a single PSN account. Players will not be able to circumvent the system by remaining offline, as the source said users will be forced to be connected to the PSN to boot up their games.

So if you take your Orbis with you, you can't game? Or if your internet goes out (which it does from time to time), you can't start any games? That to me is just plain silly. I'm fine with no backward compatibility as I got a PS2 and 3, but Sony do seem to be shooting themselves in the foot, imagine, you go buy V, you get home, put the disc in, your router or phone line goes bad, or there's a storm or heavy rain, or somebody drives into a pole, nope, no GTA for you.

Exactly my thinking Celticfang!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:07 AM Edited by Slamman, 30 March 2012 - 04:09 AM.

There's not enough details, the Loop idea from MS will be a Set Top box with no BluRay, that's for sure, even the idea that MS will adopt BD is in much doubt still

Point regarding Sony's Orbis is that it doesn't sound at all like a successor to PS3, but something else. Sony are proud of the Playstation moniker, why mess with it? If it ain't broke...?!? Look at WALKMAN for a name they kept reinventing as well

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (voyager4520 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 02:02)
Rockstar/TakeTwo would be making a big mistake to wait until the next-gen consoles to release V. They wouldn't sell nearly as many copies, at least not as quickly.

If Microsoft wants to use Blu-Ray for their next console, they'd best not "upset" Sony.

I think that the article is BS and the next consoles from both Sony and MS will be amazing but....The Real Future

The Xbox doesn't rely on Sony for the use of a more advanced optical disc. People speak of Blu-Ray as if it is the future. There are far more advanced alternatives out there and I feel that costs are the only reasons why the next gen consoles are even considering using Blu-Ray again. They can do better.

rare.steak
  • rare.steak

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (bammargera @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 18:47)
As for V being released on PS4, maybe, or perhaps it's the PS3's swan song?

The latter, surely.

the nameless
  • the nameless

R*

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Locking a game is fine, but under certain conditions.

1, Lock it to a PS4/Orbis - NOT the psn acount - if every game is locked to a psn id, how can we have local multiplayer? (Not just GTA, but other games). 2+ copies per household if the Orbis has more than one account? NO, not for me.

2, If it is locked to a machine, and there is no way to sell/trade it in, and no body else can make money off it - every single unit sold will go to Sony/MS, they no longer have the excuse of losing money on them. They can no longer charge pathetically OTT prices.

3, There must be a foolproof system to allow people to play thier games in the event of a psn outage, unforseen connectivity problems, basically it cant use online verification.

4, If you cant buy a cheap copy, every game should have a trail version available for about 5-10, discountable from a full purchase. As it is a trial, this can be acount locked, and it has to be more than just a 5 minute trial.

If the info is correct, I will be a PS3 user only for a LONG LONG time.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Obviously somebody from Microsoft/Xbox made this all up to scare people away from playstation 4, because Xbox are probably planning to follow up with a new console soon and don't want Sony screwing them over yet again with our better console!

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (the nameless @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 13:25)
Locking a game is fine, but under certain conditions.

1, Lock it to a PS4/Orbis - NOT the psn acount - if every game is locked to a psn id, how can we have local multiplayer? (Not just GTA, but other games). 2+ copies per household if the Orbis has more than one account? NO, not for me.

2, If it is locked to a machine, and there is no way to sell/trade it in, and no body else can make money off it - every single unit sold will go to Sony/MS, they no longer have the excuse of losing money on them. They can no longer charge pathetically OTT prices.

3, There must be a foolproof system to allow people to play thier games in the event of a psn outage, unforseen connectivity problems, basically it cant use online verification.

4, If you cant buy a cheap copy, every game should have a trail version available for about 5-10, discountable from a full purchase. As it is a trial, this can be acount locked, and it has to be more than just a 5 minute trial.

If the info is correct, I will be a PS3 user only for a LONG LONG time.

Also assume the PSN/SEN gets hacked once again, which is possible, the hackers suddenly have access to thousands of accounts and games tied to such accounts. As bad as physical copies are, actually having to insert a disc is a pretty good security measure if (say) GTA IV is tied to your account, a hacker gets it but hasn't got a disc to play, it's worthless to them, whereas if they have V, plus the account info, they can simply download a new copy or buy it to the account and bingo, free game. Additionally, (on my PS3 at least) games from a hard drive aren't as fluid as ones from the disc, the HD games have slowdown whereas discs don't.

Also not having physical copies would get the brick and mortar retailers riled up, think Gamestop/GAME/etc, they stock PS3 games, however how would they stock PS4/Orbis games, in terms of codes in boxes?

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:00 PM Edited by Gtaghost22, 30 March 2012 - 02:02 PM.

You honestly think this is true?? Believe me sony & microsoft are not stupid, that will never happen, the only thing that might happen next-gen to stop used-games market is online passes on every game, other than that everthing about PS4/X720 not playing used games is complete utter BULLSH*T, not being able to play used games/borrowed games will upset alot of people, the only "different" thing Sony might do next-gen is charging for online play like microsoft, as of now every roumor about PS4/X720 is complete bullsh*t, oh and btw Xbox 720 was also roumored to have this feature (not playing used games/games locked to gamertag) but like i said it will NEVER happen, trust me on this one.

Sony & Microsoft are NOT stupid!

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 14:00)

You honestly think this is true?? Believe me sony & microsoft are not stupid, that will never happen, the only thing that might happen next-gen to stop used-games market is online passes on every game, other than that everthing about PS4/X720 not playing used games is complete utter BULLSH*T, it that will never happen, the only "different" thing Sony might do next-gen is charging for online play like microsoft, as of now every roumor about PS4/X720 is complete bullsh*t, oh and btw Xbox 720 was also roumored to have this feature (not playing used games) but like i said it will NEVER happen, trust me on this one.

Sony & Microsoft are NOT stupid!

Back before the PS3/X360 people said online passes were BS, look what happened, the whole locking games and related issues is entirely possible. Online passes on every game harms collectors. Suppose you buy V at launch, then come back to it 20 years later for a video (let's suppose a history of GTA for a 30th anniversary or whatever), to find you can't get to the MP, server shut down or Sony not taking the online pass code any more.

PSN+ is already charging, however it's more than just online play though, it's also free/heavy discounted games.

Ps3blaze22
  • Ps3blaze22

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 21:28)
Gamespot are a pile of f*cking idiots, that was the most unbelievable load of horse sh*t I have read in a long time.
Anyone that believes that sh*t is a dumbass.

This
sony is not stupid, they won't do that.
Microsoft: maybe
Sony: Never

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Again, people said Sony wouldn't get hacked and they'd be stupid to get hacked.

Guess what happened?

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 14:30)

Guess what happened?

What does getting hacked has to do with anything? the guys that hacked PSN could easily hack Xbox Live if they wanted but they didnt for some reason

Ps3blaze22
  • Ps3blaze22

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 14:30)

Guess what happened?

The guy that hack sony is american, he can hack xbox live if he wanted but he didnt do it because microsh*t is american

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

My point was that you and Ps3blaze22 both said Sony are stupid for doing this. Before the hack, people said Sony were stupid if they ever got hacked and their systems were uncrackable. Just like you said the online pass won't happen, MLB 12 has an online pass code, MLB 11 did, Both SCEA titles (going by Youtube streams and videos and the manuals here), it's entirely forseeable that any Sony studio could add in a PS3 online pass or lock out bits of the game entirely.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 14:50)
My point was that you and Ps3blaze22 both said Sony are stupid for doing this. Before the hack, people said Sony were stupid if they ever got hacked and their systems were uncrackable. Just like you said the online pass won't happen, MLB 12 has an online pass code, MLB 11 did, Both SCEA titles (going by Youtube streams and videos and the manuals here), it's entirely forseeable that any Sony studio could add in a PS3 online pass or lock out bits of the game entirely.

People who said PSN is unhackable are stupid.. i always knew that PSN (or Xbox Live) will eventually get hacked, everything does, i'm saying that the hackers choosed to hack sony for some reason, they can hack Xbox 360 Live just as easily but they didnt do it, also i never siad that sony wont use online pass and what does this have to with online passes, i dont get it

interpolfan11
  • interpolfan11

Lions 7-8 NG

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

There's no way in hell Sony will force gamers to sign-in to the PSN in order to activate games. Too many people have sh*tty internet connections.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

This sounds like Sony is releasing "rumors" in order to gauge people's reactions. There is NOTHING positive about that article that would make me want a PS4. No backwards compatability, forcing consumers to purchase new games via download and not being able to borrow games from someone else? This orbis sounds like complete garbage. Unfortunately, this may be where the future of gaming is headed, thanks to piracy. icon13.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users