Photo

Windows 7 - Games running slow

5 replies to this topic
Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:34 PM Edited by Eagles, 27 March 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Hey guys, sorry for bothering you, but I'm having some problems with games in Windows 7.
I tried to find an answer everywhere around the internet, but nothing worked.

When I had a Windows XP, my games were running perfectly well, within the limitations of my PC.
It's not a good PC at all - NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT, Intel Core 2 Quad, 500GB HD, 4GB RAM - I could run GTAIV with all the settings settled at the minimum.

8 months ago, I think, I decided to change my XP for a Windows 7 and to add more HD memory (500GB, actually). I didn't played any games on it anymore because I bought a X360 and now a PS3.
Then I installed some old games to remember the good ol' games - and this League of Legends that my friends asked me to install - and this crap started to slow down.

Every time I run a game it starts really well, normally, with 30-60fps, and after 30 seconds it starts to get ugly, and it's like a 1995 PC trying to run Skyrim.
I did everything internet said me to do - cleaned up my system, installed all the drivers, ran my anti-virus - but nothing seems to help me.

Do someone have any ideas of what's happening with my PC? I used to play everything in my XP, now this Seven can't even run San Andreas or Vice City normally.

Thanks in advance. icon14.gif

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

How about the processes in task manager? Windows sometimes runs services that are not needed and eats up allot of memory. (look for svchost)

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

First thing I have to suggestion is a system cleaning; virus scan, spyware scan, registry cleaning, chkdsk and defrag.
Hopefully you have Win7 running it's defrag on a schedule, if not do so. As for the others if you more details to the suggestion feel free to ask.

When you installed 7 did you do an in-place upgrade, meaning did you have XP installed and have 7 install on top of that to for the most part replace XP, or did you do a fresh clean install of 7? A fresh clean install would be best.

Narcis does have a point about the processes, however it's too so much the services you need to worry about as it is other background, third-party processes is what you need to look into.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

What about temperatures?
Since it slows down after some time, I would suggest checking the temperatures.

Download HW Monitor from Google and play a game, and after it slowed down take a screen of the results of the program and post it here.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I had the same type of problem too once I changed my OS to Windows 7 (format, clean install). With Vista, playing GTA IV was smooth no matter what I throw at. Windows 7 on the other hand was the opposite, game play lagged, not to a point it's unplayable but I can immediately see the difference. It's like you had a 7200rpm HDD and now it's running on a 5400rpm HDD.
One of the reasons I had to go with 7 is physX as Vista doesn't allow 2 different cards (AMD+Nvidia) to be installed at the same time.

You can try removing your graphic drivers and just install the basics. No need to install 3D or PhysX and see if that helps
Another is to disable schedule defrag. When your system is idle, defrag will run and maybe that's what's causing it
3rd, disable Windows search services. If enabled the HDD will being to index specified files/folders to display search results faster.
When it's indexing, it will slow down the whole computer.

@wolf
Windows XP can't be upgraded to Win7.
It's only Vista than can
For XP, it needs to upgrade to Vista first, then Win7. smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:10 PM Edited by Slamman, 07 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Dude, don't slight a 5400 drive, sure, it's tech is long in the tooth, but it is up to MM standards, it's been recommended for capping REAL TIME video for years now. I would say, perhaps my experience playing the PC version of BoGT was hampered by Win7, I hope I can get the game to install in Windows8 for a test drive, but I've been leary about how it's going to allow me that as a temp install

I am hoping for a long life of support for Windows 7. For the record, Vista's SP2 seems to have set much of the wrongs righted, since Vista's gotten the most blatant user beating since Windows Millennium, which for me, was not a problem either, and outside of the one case with KSOD, Vista has NEVER crashed on me either.

Wolf mentioned other services, with a typo, missing word "NOT" there, but SVChost is not something to turn off, what that Win app tells you is what is operating at any given time (Task Manager), there are other applications made that beef up what Task Manager does, CCleaner gives you some ability to adjust Windows on the surface and aid better cleaning as well.

When you game, turn off AV scanning, is one example, it runs in the background, anything on the right end of the taskbar that is booted into a silent mode of operation like AIM or IM, you can right click and turn off from there easily.

As for memory in a HDD's size, that's a misnomer, it maybe Gigabytes, like RAM is SIZE wise, but that's capacity, not memory, really

Your graphics card is for business graphics, not games, so ditch that weak end of your gaming hardware, it's just not going to cut the mustard either. C2Q will last some years yet, if you ask me, 4 cores will be able to do computing work for a number of years yet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users