Medal Ribbons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic
Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Having just done something similar for another well-established forum (an Invision board), it got me thing about this site.

We've got medals for rewarding contribution , etc but what about medal RIBBONS for forum participaction ?

Years on Forum

user posted image - 1 Years

user posted image - 2 Years

user posted image - 3 Years

user posted image - 4 Years

user posted image - 5 Years

user posted image - 6 Years

user posted image - 7 Years

user posted image - 8 Years

user posted image - 9 Years

user posted image - 10 Years

Forum Posts

user posted image - 100 Posts

user posted image - 500 Posts

user posted image - 1000 Posts

user posted image - 2500 Posts

user posted image - 5000 Posts

(There's more, but can only post 15 images)

Just an idea - might encourgae people to hang around more often and help the community a bit more.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

This is what it would look like:

user posted image

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

The idea with the years spend on the forum is not that bad, but the one with the post count isn't a good one, since it'll only encourage members to spam to achieve a specific icon, hence the post count is hidden in the normal posts. (visible only via profile)

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

The ribbons for forum years looks like a pretty neat idea. But I agree with Miro that the ribbons for post count would only encourage spam.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

But what about the people like me that just won't go away and post a lot of nothing?

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Well for forum posts, we have member title awards.
As for the forum years, Jay has a point, it would look ugly and useless that some guy from 2001 and 5 posts had it in their profile.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well if anyone has been in the GTA V section recently, you'll see that there are plenty of people spamming without encouragement! lol.gif

I don't see an issue with someone having a ribbon for long service, but only has a small post count - I'm an example of that. I've "browsed" more than I've actually posted in recent years.

If anything, a combination of "Years on forum" plus "Postcount" will show members up:

If someone doesn't have a single "Years" ribbon, but has an advanced "postcount" ribbon, then they will generally show up to be a forum spammer. it could even be coded so that spammers automatically obtain a "Spam" ribbon which would show them up and make them look stupid, thus preventing people from posting lots of crap.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

There are actually people who would like a spam ribbon, believe it or not. But if it can make them stand out, even if just to make them look stupid, there are still those who would post crap for it.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'd think the medal system we have set up is good enough. On the other hand long term membership ribbons isn't a bad idea, but I don't think every year on the forum deserves one. I'd say 3 years, 5 years, 7 years ect. would fit much better. To make these more commendable you should have a decent warn log on top of that. So those who have been nothing but a dick and spamming for 5 years deserves nothing.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I like the membership ribbons idea. However touching on what Vanzant said I say we treat these ribbons as members treat (sensible) milestone topics - a ribbon after you reach a certain amount of years on the Forums. 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, whatever.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Alex, I like your idea of the 2,5 and 10 years better than mine of the odd numbers. Still, the user must have a decent record in their user log and have helped out around the forums to an extent. We could see this in V2 or we may not.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:22 PM Edited by Kent Traffic Cop, 26 March 2012 - 10:26 PM.

Woah woah woah... you're over complicating it.

Just remember that this forum has nearly half a million members and the admin / mod team are not gonna be happy if people keep PM'ing them with "Plz give me ribbon, I've been here for another year." This needs to be an automatic process, so as soon as you hit 1 year on the forum, the forum gives you a ribbon.

Plus I think it should be done annually - if you've been on the forum 4 years, but your profile shows a 2 year ribbon (because you haven't got to 5 years yet) it's going to be slightly confusing.

If it's going to be done then it needs to be linear... afterall, the "Post Count" and "Forum Service" ribbons are only 2 types. I have many, many more "member treats" but couldn't post them because I was only able to put in 15 images.

Examples include:

user posted image - Admin Award: Given to member by GTAF Admin for Misc. achievment.

user posted image - Moderator Award: Given to member by GTAF Moderator for Misc. achievement.

user posted image - Thread Professional Award: Given to member for proven track record in creating fantastic forum threads.

user posted image - Informer Award: Given to member for excellent track record in providing official information on GTA.

user posted image - Competition Winner: Given to member for winning forum competition.

user posted image - Spammer Token: Given to members that are labelled as spammers. For easy identification so members know when to call "Rule 14."

These ones *would* be discretionary and not automatic (would have to be physically given out) but would be much less work, as they would be much rarer than the "Post Count" and "Forum Service" ribbons.

The general idea is that RIBBONS are easier to get, but are less "valued" - the MEDALS would retain a huge amount of value and these would remain extra special.

TL;DR - New awards, less valued than Medals, easier to obtain... but makes members feel more valued.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Kent, we cannot have that many different ribbons displayed on the forum posts. That is not going to happen ever. Perhaps they could be added to the users profile, but I'm telling you they will not show up in member posts. The Admins are not going to make it a yearly thing either as been said some members join yet they don't post. If any of your ideas will be implicated they will be by the staff themselves. You would have to EARN them.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 15:47)
Kent, we cannot have that many different ribbons displayed on the forum posts. That is not going to happen ever. Perhaps they could be added to the users profile, but I'm telling you they will not show up in member posts. The Admins are not going to make it a yearly thing either as been said some members join yet they don't post. If any of your ideas will be implicated they will be by the staff themselves. You would have to EARN them.

It could be displayed in the user profile, or have a little Ribbon icon that you can click on that will expand a menu (Just like the Medals we have now on the forum).
I like the idea for the time Ribbon, but the post count Ribbon will just make people spam their way to it. Mostly the everyday V Forum kids.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

But I've already shown what it'll look like:

user posted image

...and for members with more than 4 ribbons, the IPB software allows you to set a cap of 4 displayed ribbons, with a link underneath to show the other ones (in a new window) so it won't clog everything up.

Plus, I'm not suggesting that you display ALL the year and post count ribbons. When you are here for 5 years, your "4 years" ribbon is REPLACED, not added to.

And you've said about "earning" them - again you're missing the point. MEDALS are their to be earnt, the RIBBONS are there for recognition.

I haven't been active for the whole of my 7-registered-years, but it would still be nice to have a 7 year ribbon so that others can recognise me from "the olden days." It's not there to say "Oh look at me, I've been here longer than you - hear me roar!" - again, it's recognition of an older generation, not a bragging right.

With regards to the post count - I don't see it being a problem. The moderating team have been keeping on top of the "GTA V Kiddies" (as I like to call them) so if anyone is spamming away, they're post count will be nullified anyway (and in some cases they would have been banned).

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

I like your idea. You should ask a Staff member what they think, seeing as none have replied yet.
Otherwise, great idea. This should be taken into consideration for the Forum.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Kent Traffic Cop @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 08:43)
the IPB software allows you to set a cap of 4 displayed ribbons

The newer builds, maybe.

The software we're using is old by any standard, and broken as well.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I have to say, I think they're ugly as hell. Just my opinion, though.

Tyler
  • Tyler

Data is everything.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I like the medals now, myself. A bronze, silver or gold medal that shows all the things you've been awarded for in a pop out. Much better than multiple ribbons.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Kent Traffic Cop @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 23:13)
It's not there to say "Oh look at me, I've been here longer than you - hear me roar!" - again, it's recognition of an older generation, not a bragging right.

Sorry, completely failing to see the distinction here. If you want recognition, post constructively and contribute to the community.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ok, well it was only an idea - á la lock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users