Buying a PS3 for V ? anyone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
189 replies to this topic
Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

If we're fighting over format, I still have the PS3 that I bought for IV. Playstation has always been a reliable workhorse for me. Never got the YLOD yet, knock on wood.

But if I had it to do over again I would get a 360. Even though PSN is free there are very few people online. Literally everyone I know in real life is on Live. Makes for lonely gaming.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 13:50)
I actually tested Red Dead with a friend of mine. We put two 48' LCD TV's side by side, one with a 360 and the other with a PS3. The PS3 version looked better to me and to him. And it definitely sounded better. With 360, they worked it out on how to reach into your pockets at every turn and I lost all respect for Microsoft for that alone. Now Microsoft is considering the 'no used games' B.S.. See what happems to them if they try that. It will be game over. Microsoft is too money hungry and takes advantage of their gamers.

That's exactly my problem.

I started out as a 360 user. I got the RRoD, and they apparently could fix the console if still under warranty but the expenses of actually posting it in the mail to them was all up to me. Not only that, I had just renewed a year's worth of Live Gold membership (just to be able to play games I've already bought, using an internet connection I already pay bills for). Not only that, Bluray was really starting to get kicking so I bought a PS3. From the very minute I opened it out of it's shiny box, it used WIFI to connect online and I was up and running playing online in no time. My girlfriend was also impressed with Little Big Planet (a ps3 exclusive) so it was a no brainer decision.

My original GTA days were all PS2, because it was the primary console for GTA releases during that era (vice city etc). It seems that R* themselves give preference to ps3, so I can't think of any reason not to choose to go with Sony. Microsoft get more money and credit than they deserve.

Advice to OP, from a 360 gone PS3 user - pick the PS3. Trust me!

DemoniCreature
  • DemoniCreature

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Already bought PS3 for IV

cherrycola
  • cherrycola

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 16:02)
I actually tested Red Dead with a friend of mine. We put two 48' LCD TV's side by side, one with a 360 and the other with a PS3. The PS3 version looked better to me and to him. And it definitely sounded better. With 360, they worked it out on how to reach into your pockets at every turn and I lost all respect for Microsoft for that alone. Now Microsoft is considering the 'no used games' B.S.. See what happems to them if they try that. It will be game over. Microsoft is too money hungry and takes advantage of their gamers.

I started out as a 360 user. I got the RRoD, and they apparently could fix the console if still under warranty but the expenses of actually posting it in the mail to them was all up to me. Not only that, I had just renewed a year's worth of Live Gold membership (just to be able to play games I've already bought, using an internet connection I already pay bills for). Not only that, Bluray was really starting to get kicking so I bought a PS3. From the very minute I opened it out of it's shiny box, it used WIFI to connect online and I was up and running playing online in no time. My girlfriend was also impressed with Little Big Planet (a ps3 exclusive) so it was a no brainer decision.

My original GTA days were all PS2, because it was the primary console for GTA releases during that era (vice city etc). It seems that R* themselves give preference to ps3, so I can't think of any reason not to choose to go with Sony. Microsoft get more money and credit than they deserve.

Look, I don't like giving a greedy company like Microsoft my money neither, but this is getting ridiculous. All side-by-side tests agree that the Xbox 360 versions of GTA IV and RDR are graphically superior to the PS3 versions, there's just no denying it. And it's no secret that Rockstar's latest games have been designed for Xbox 360 first then ported over to PS3 later, so I don't get why you say that R* prefers the PS3? It's no better being a Playstation fanboy than an Xbox fanboy, the only way to win is NOT being a fanboy at all.

Proof for X360 version of RDR being superior: http://www.lensoftru...ead-redemption/

Proof for GTA IV: http://www.gamespot....202552/p-4.html

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (cherrycola @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 15:02)

Look, I don't like giving a greedy company like Microsoft my money neither, but this is getting ridiculous. All side-by-side tests agree that the Xbox 360 versions of GTA IV and RDR are graphically superior to the PS3 versions, there's just no denying it. And it's no secret that Rockstar's latest games have been designed for Xbox 360 first then ported over to PS3 later, so I don't get why you say that R* prefers the PS3? It's no better being a Playstation fanboy than an Xbox fanboy, the only way to win is NOT being a fanboy at all.

Proof for X360 version of RDR being superior: http://www.lensoftru...ead-redemption/

Those links you posted are not proof whatsoever. The images (in quality, and game setting/weather etc) differentiates between each image. Also, I don't think you can completely replicate how it looks on a TV using a digital image, but I'm running PS3 and my copy of GTAIV looks exactly like the "Xbox 360" images in the links you sent.

They were obviously made by an Xbox fanboy, so they recreated the images for PS3, probably with an Xbox 360 again but just with darker weather and slightly blurred the image.

The PC version I'll admit though, could look better than the consoles. Haven't seen it for myself but it seems likely.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Oh, and Dan or Sam Houser said in a preview of GTAIV back in the day - that doesn't mind either console but has a slight preference for the PS3 because of it's very slight warmer and more natural tone or something. He said something about preferring the anti-aliasing on ps3.

It's funny how all you non-fanboys say "oh, shut up with this fanboy nonsense. Oh by the way, have a look at this side by side shot and see how superior the Xbox actually is."

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:21 PM Edited by Official General, 27 March 2012 - 03:31 PM.

@ sibs44

Look at what I posted again. I did say it is down to subjective opinions did I not ? I accept that some people prefer how GTA IV and RDR looks on the 360 and some people prefer how it looks on the PS3, but for most part, both versions of both games are on equal levels. No major gaming site stated that one was marginally better looking than the other.

I 100% agree with you about what you stated the Complete Edition of GTA IV on the PS3, it definitely looks slightly better than the original 2008 single version. I tried to tell some guys this on the IV forum and some fools tried to tell me it was the placebo effect and that I was seeing things, when I knew there was definitely an improvement. I had both versions on the PS3, so I knew exactly what I saw and what I was talking about.

As for Red Dead Redemption, I was very scared about the PS3 version at release date, because I nearly believed all those biased and silly internet comparisons that favored the 360 version. When I played it, I found it it was all lies, the PS3 version looks brilliant, the graphics come very close to those of the Uncharted games I'd even say. I've seen the 360 version of RDR on my friend's 360 and it looks very similar to the PS3 version, and yeah you are right it does look a bit sharper - but in my opinion a bit too sharp and it was very, very colorful, which I did not like. The PS3 version of RDR had just right amount of sharpness, more smoothness and its color levels were just fine, not too much and not too less. Sometimes too much sharpness and bright colours can make a game's graphics a little cartoony, which is what I found with the 360 versions of RDR and GTA IV. I think the PS3 versions of GTA IV and RDR look more smoother and realistic than the 360 versions, and I prefer more realistic graphics over too much sharpness and bright colors. This is just my view of course, I just prefer how it looks on the PS3, no bias, its a genuine preference, Lensofthruth can say all they want.

thebestgameever
  • thebestgameever

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Just unlucky, I've had my ps3 since 2008 and still use it very regularly and its running fine.

My mates 360 from 2008 also is working perfectly, some just get unlucky or don't properly maintain it...

Also yes RDR was fractionally better on the 360 BUT if you got the ps3 version it would feel the exact same. The only way you can tell the difference is if you have a ps3 version and 360 version playing simultaneously next to each other, even then there would be minor differences.

cherrycola
  • cherrycola

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 17:17)
QUOTE (cherrycola @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 15:02)

Those links you posted are not proof whatsoever. The images (in quality, and game setting/weather etc) differentiates between each image. Also, I don't think you can completely replicate how it looks on a TV using a digital image, but I'm running PS3 and my copy of GTAIV looks exactly like the "Xbox 360" images in the links you sent.

They were obviously made by an Xbox fanboy, so they recreated the images for PS3, probably with an Xbox 360 again but just with darker weather and slightly blurred the image.

The PC version I'll admit though, could look better than the consoles. Haven't seen it for myself but it seems likely.

Sure, they're all just a bunch of Xbox fanboys. Everybody is a fanboy these days. I think people can see for themselves which version looks better in the samples I've provided without your input. If you want to see more comparisons, google it. I bet you can't find a single one where the PS3 looks better, and it's not because the whole internet is filled with Xbox fanboys. There are games that look and plays better on the PS3, but Rockstar's latest games are not among them.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Gege @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 00:30)
QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 01:21)
PS3 > Xbox

My cock > PS3

Your argument is invalid.

Translation: Gameboy Micro > PS3

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (thebestgameever @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 15:46)
Also yes RDR was fractionally better on the 360 BUT if you got the ps3 version it would feel the exact same. The only way you can tell the difference is if you have a ps3 version and 360 version playing simultaneously next to each other, even then there would be minor differences.

Yes the 360 version of RDR was fractionally better than the PS3 version because it contained a few more blades of grass on the screen, I remember that. It was a the decisive factor in what made many agree the 360 version of RDR looked better than the PS3 version.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I enjoy my XBOX360. I had a PS2, and enjoyed it, but XBOX360 is much more user friendly. Plus, I really don't see a difference in the consoles.

Colonel Dre
  • Colonel Dre

Non Duxit Nos Inducas

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

I got my handy-dandy XBox 360.

So I'm good, but I would like to get a new computer for it.

brandrixco
  • brandrixco

I'm the GTA V protagonist BIATCH!

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Oh jesus! Not this sh*t, please not this sh*t!

This post derailed hard and I mean HARD. First of all the op new this was gonna happen and you kept feeding him his bait. The 360 and ps3 are very similar in performance on a technical level with the ps3 being better with the CPU and the 360 with the GPU. Now wish one is better? the 360 hands down for gta, because the gpu runs the physics for that game, so fanboys shut up.

gta 4 was first build on 360 and ported on ps3 this is FACT. When a game is build on one console then ported over do you obviously think that the ported version looks better?

examples of this is:

bayonetta; go on play on ps3 and tell me its better...XD (360 build ported on ps3)
Final fantasy XIII play on ps3 then 360, you will see that the ps3 smokes the 360 (bulid on ps3 ported on 360)

Whatever version gets ported is obviously the worst one. DEAL WITH IT.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 00:21)
#FACT: PS3 > Xbox

Fixed

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (chestycougth @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 16:53)
well i bought a PS3 because i'm worried that the xbox 360 wont be powerful enough.
and i have to say i hate PS3s. the one i bought a few months back got YLOD after about 2 months and i have a feeling that the replacement is going that way too. so yeah, PS3 sucks

i bought the Ps3 half a year after it came out and it's still running fine.. my Xbox was broken after a month... so yea, i would have to say XBoX sucks, but it doesnt, i like both of them, though i like rthe Ps3 more. But that doesn't matter, any of those 2 is just fine to play games..

Colonel Dre
  • Colonel Dre

Non Duxit Nos Inducas

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 17:07)
#FACT: Fanboys are stupid

Fixed

Fix'd

Doo
  • Doo

Eat it!

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I just changed my X360 for a PS3 with my friend because all my friends have PS3, and they were asking me to buy a PS3 to play with them, so I did.

Can't see any difference between these two consoles. So I will stay with this PS3. wink.gif

robi29
  • robi29

VisualIV creator

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (sasuke78200 @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 17:56)
I bought a PS3 for V tounge.gif

The same. wink.gif

I bought PS3 for RDR and GT5 too.

Im_in_Love_With_an_Ostrich
  • Im_in_Love_With_an_Ostrich

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

I need to get a ps3 I only played all my gtas on PC but now I only have a laptop. I should be getting a ps3 soon! biggrin.gif icon14.gif

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 17:07)
#FACT: PS3 > Xbox

Fixed

Xbox = PS3

Now it's dark.

user posted image

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (abottig @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 01:32)
QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 20:21)
PS3 > Xbox

Not for GTA V or RDR. (Or many other games for that matter, speaking specifically about graphics)

Both games were rendered in a non-HD native resolution and look like sh*t compared to 360. But don't take my word for it. The proof is in the pictures/video all over the internet. Maybe it will be different for V? Who knows...

BTW, I own 360/PS3/PC.

PC is the master race, so really your argument is invalid anyway you look at it.

ALSO:

LENSOFTRUTH.COM

They take an unbiased look at graphics of PS3 vs 360. 360 has the most wins, including the obvious win in RDR. They didn't do a comparisson for GTA IV.

They have 360 with 49 "wins" and Playstation 3 with only 19. There were also 27 "ties".

I'm sorry but you must be blind if you think GTA IV and RDR were both non-HD on PS3, i have both versions for those games and they look only SLIGHTLY better on xbox 360, but they still look amazing on my PS3. I dont really know what are you talking about.

Fanboys are stupid

agree.. and i'm NOT a fanboy btw, i have both consoles but i prefer PS3 because of the exclusives

CoSm1c gAm3r
  • CoSm1c gAm3r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I hate exclusive games. If R* will make gta V first for consoles then about 6 months later for PC I will not buy this game.
I made mistake buying GTA IV because it got annoying bug that was not fixed in any patch! I was able to got 99% headshots from blind firing when using mouse. Also mouse controls was not precise in aiming. Few months later and through few patches from R* this bug was still present. I read in some forum that when using gamepad on PC makes blind fire as it should be so I tried on my gamepad and it was true! Blind fire made bullets spread but when using mouse again laser precision was back. I was waiting for PC version and they gave me such bugged and badly optimized port!? aww no more ! If they will make equal release for all platforms then I will buy it if not then I will play it anyway but I will not spend my money. As a PC player I dot want to be discriminated and I am not buying that kind of games. Also I will not buy console to play it few months earlier ahead of other platforms.

leyja
  • leyja

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

not to start a fanboy war, but i know some idiots will, technically the ps3 version is better becuse it will be one disc (depending on game size) and bluray discs are more durable than dvds. small scratches on blurays come off with a wipe while dvds are permanent'. i own both consoles but ps3 version over 360 version any day even if the 360 version is slightly superior in the graphics department icon14.gif

MilezDawg
  • MilezDawg

Use of the sh*t stick has been authorized

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I bought a 360 on release and planned on buying a PS3 for GTAIV, that was untill I heard TLAD and TBoGT would be on Xbox Live first so I bought it for the 360.
GTA has always been a PC or a PS game IMO but it felt and played great on the 360. I have recently purchased a PS3 and plan on buying GTAV for it regardless if there is timed exclusive DLC that favors the 360, it just feels right this time.
Now I did buy a PS2 just for GTA3 of course, I still loved my N64 at the time.

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

This should suit fine, but okay...

I'm planning on buying a copy for all three platform's, but I will preorder the special edition for Xbox and buy a regular copy for PS3, and when the time come's, I'll pick up the PC copy on Steam. icon14.gif

SCLASS
  • SCLASS

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

brandrixco...no - I started the thread as i wanted to know if anyone was in a similar predicament . As in - are you console-less as of now and will you buy a console for V.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Merry Christmas, you filthy animal

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

i have both versions for those games and they look only SLIGHTLY better on xbox 360, but they still look amazing on my PS3. I dont really know what are you talking about.

Exactly. Who cares about extra 1 FPS and 10 pixels? Only xbox fanboys with magnifying glasses.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

The color palette, again, must I remind you? This all was debated when the game GTA IV came out, you need only look back in these forums that far, really....some lazy people around here. You have the time, go look in the archives! haha

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Personally, I've been gaming since the Gamecube, and i just love how everybody else has problems with their consoles.

None of my consoles had a problem, I think everyone is not treating them correctly and thats why they break easily.

OT: I have a 360 and a PS3, and I will buy a copy for both systems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users